PDA

View Full Version : S5 mark 2 versus S7

Marck1973
August 7, 2017, 06:51 PM
Hi,

Am after some opinions please. I currently have Martin Logan CLX Anniversaries, however contemplating moving to Magico.

I have heard the S7's although not with the same equipment as I have. I have a demo scheduled for a couple of weeks time though.

I would also like to hear the S5's, although may not be as easy to demo, well certainly not in the next few weeks.

The S7's have been around longer than the new S5's, although I have been told there is not a new S7 coming anytime soon. Would that be correct?

What are people's views on which speaker to go for? I have read a few articles saying S7 is better in all aspects (as it should be for the price differential). Has anyone done the comparison? If so what are your thoughts?

Lastly, has anyone compared either speaker with and without the MPod's?

Sorry for all the questions, hopefully there will be some people that have comments on the above.

Thanks
Marc.
Equipment: DCS Vivaldi full stack, ARC Ref40, ARC Ref250SE

Mike
August 7, 2017, 06:57 PM
Hi Marc - welcome to AS. Can you tell us a little about your room? Size? Also, your listening tastes?

Great associated equipment! DCS and ARC - nice!

BlueFox
August 7, 2017, 08:39 PM
Marc, I went to Magico and heard the S7 compared to the S5 MKI, which I also had. We started with the S5, and I commented that it sounded like my S5. Alon says; "That's the point." What I meant was I didn't have an acoustically treated room, and it sounded like my system. Anyway, as the S7s were swapped in and out, it was apparent that the S7 was the better speaker. However, being an engineer, I didn't feel it was twice better than the S5 (from the price perspective). While better, I would have had a hard time justifying its purchase, since I do not have an infinite amount of money. It would be very interesting to hear the S7 against the S5 MKII.

Marck1973
August 8, 2017, 05:34 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the replies so far.

My listening tastes favour female vocals, although do I listen to most things (well, so long as it is well recorded!)

I am used to a big sound with the panels. I should also add that I have a Martin Logan subwoofer to augment the lower end, obviously this won't be needed going forward. My equipment, including my current speakers are all on StillPoints 5's with an ESS StillPoints rack.

My room is not that big (at the moment), 5m by 4.8m. Although there is a possibility I will move in the next couple of years. This will be more of a one off exercise, so would rather go with the best short and long term option.

Just to add my budget would allow the S7, however nothing above that, so the M3 etc is unfortunately not possible.

Also have you tried the MPOD's? Worth having?

Thanks
Marc.

Melbguy1
August 8, 2017, 07:52 AM
Marc, firstly congratulations on an excellent system! Based on your current room size, between the S5 Mk2 & S7 I would suggest the Magico S5 Mk2's would be a better option. The S7's are best suited to a medium-large to large size room. I have a medium size room which is bigger than yours & find the S5 mk2's couple perfectly to my room. My friend owns the S7's & has them in a large treated listening room, sans subs. He has the S7's well out in the room for best integration.

As far as the S5 Mk2's vs S7's, they are both wonderful speakers. The S5 Mk2 is clearly the best bet for the money. But I know of one Dealer who sells more S7's (than S5's). The S7's are more enjoyable overall with better dynamics and an easier on the ear balance. However, the S5's are not far behind, and for a lot less money. And I think the sound staging from the S5's is a little better thanks to it's machined 3D convex top plate. The S7's have the potential to throw a bigger stage, but need a large size room to allow them to breath. But the S5 Mk2's have that slight edge in image focus, thus improving staging. On paper the S7's are 1db more efficient than the S5 Mk2's, but in practice both speakers will need robust power amps with plenty of current to get the best out of them. Your ARC Ref 250's driven by the powerful Ref 40th Anniversary should be up to task.

You mentioned you favor female vocals. One interesting thing about the newer S5 Mk2's is they use the exact same midrange drivers as the M3 (part no: MAG6004RTC). Needless to say, vocals are wonderful.

With all of the above said, based on your current room size, budget & the caliber of your system, I would jump through hoops to see if you can find a Dealer who will give you a good deal on an ex-demo or traded in pair of M3's. In a small-medium size room they will have a clear edge over the S series. In a medium-large size room, the S5 Mk2's or S7's may be a better option. But if you can't snare a pair of M3's, my recommendation would be to go for the S5 Mk2's with S Pods. Re: the S Pods, Bud should be able to chime in with his experience. By all reports, they provide a nice improvement.

Marck1973
August 8, 2017, 08:34 AM
Hi David,

Firstly, thank you for your comprehensive reply, very much appreciated.

The M3 comment is interesting, I will definitely ask that question when I am with them in a couple of weeks. What I want to ensure, is that whatever I buy will accommodate a larger room in the future, hence why I was angling towards the S7's.

The midrange drivers in the S7's, are they not the same as the M's? I thought that the newer S5's were the trickle down from the S7's, and those being from the newer technology in the M series.

I am interested in the SPod's, although I cant see any specific details on SPod's with the S7's. If Bud could advise that would be great.

Thank you
Marc.

Melbguy1
August 8, 2017, 09:26 AM
Hi David,

Firstly, thank you for your comprehensive reply, very much appreciated.

The M3 comment is interesting, I will definitely ask that question when I am with them in a couple of weeks. What I want to ensure, is that whatever I buy will accommodate a larger room in the future, hence why I was angling towards the S7's.

The midrange drivers in the S7's, are they not the same as the M's? I thought that the newer S5's were the trickle down from the S7's, and those being from the newer technology in the M series.

I am interested in the SPod's, although I cant see any specific details on SPod's with the S7's. If Bud could advise that would be great.

Thank you
Marc.
YW Mark.

The M3 would definitely trump the S series speakers given your current room size. Having auditioned the M3's, I think they will couple well in anything up to a medium size listening room. From there on, they may not adequately pressurize the room. However this is purely a matter of personal preference. A few guys on here heard the M3's sans subs in Magico's cavernous listening room & were happy with their output. If however you found you were still wanting more/deeper bass in your new room, remember you could always use your ML subs or upgrade to Magico Q Sub 15's.

Don't get me wrong, I love my S5 Mk2's. They are terrific speakers and couple perfectly to my medium size listening room. But if I had a slightly smaller listening room and the budget for maybe an ex-demo, or traded in pair of M3's, I'd be all over them like a cheap suit!

The S7's came out before the M3, so they had all-new midrange drivers developed from trickle-down technology from the M Pro as well as Q series. The M3 came out next, then the S5 Mk2. The S5 Mk2 was designed from technology distilled from the S7...but not entirely. It picked up the M3's midrange units & machined, 3D convex top plate which the S7 doesn't have.

Re: the M Pods, the S7's outriggers will accommodate the M Pods, but not the smaller S Pods. The upshot is the M Pods are more effective in that weight range than the S Pods (which are designed for a lighter load). But they're not cheap @ $8400US for a set of (8), so you would have to factor that into your budget. The S Pods are $2995.00US for a set of (8). I plan to order the S Pods in the near future, but you can check out Bud's thread (http://www.audioshark.org/magico-61/magico-spod-s5-mkii-12490.html) for his thoughts.

Mike
August 8, 2017, 09:30 AM
Marc - the S7's are going to give you more of that wall of sound and seamless integration that you're used to with your ML's. The Sandman here has S7's in a room similar in size to yours. The MPOD's for the S7's are also well worth it. Hopefully your dealer can give you a good demo of both the S5 mk2 and S7's.

As for future plans for the S7's, I haven't heard of anything coming. I think Magico has many other projects in the fire first (M series for example).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melbguy1
August 8, 2017, 09:48 AM
@Marc, agreed. Though the only caveat i'd say is the S7's need a medium-large to large size room to give them space to breath and throw the huge sound stage they're capable of. S5 Mk2 is master of the medium size room, and M3 is master of everything below that (unless we're talking about a Hong Kong apartment! :lol:). But I think the M3's + Q Sub 15's would kick tail and ran ;).

altanpsx
August 8, 2017, 10:48 AM
I heard s7 and s5mkii in the same setup. Constellation Centaur monoblocks and constellation pre amplifier, dcs rossini(cd and stream capable), ar ref3 phono pre with acoustic signature ascona+sme312 tonearm with benz ?? mc cartridge. S7 is a different and better speaker in every aspects then s5mkii. It is so interesting because, generally when you move higher in the same speaker line, in every speaker you hear the same or similar sound, which i mean same sonic performance. It gets only bigger to fill a bigger room. But in S series, you feel that until you reach the S7. I cannot say it worths or not for this price. Price is a very relative thing. But clearly, S7 is a very good Magico speaker, it has all the ability which you may expect as a Magico owner, also it has a very good, strong, sufficently punchy, and textured bass performance. I heard Mpro, without a doubt Mpro is a better speaker, but for the cost difference, probably most would buy S7, I mean S7 is that kind of good.

Happy sleepless night while you try to decide :)

Marck1973
August 8, 2017, 12:17 PM
I am sure there will be some sleepless nights after the demo in a couple of weeks time!!

The S7 demo is scheduled for just over 2 weeks time, so will report back thereafter.

In the meantime, if anyone else has any other feedback / experience, then would love to hear about it

Marc.

kzhtoo
August 8, 2017, 01:26 PM
How about pre-owned Mpro? The used price now is similar to new M3.

Melbguy1
August 8, 2017, 01:43 PM
How about pre-owned Mpro? The used price now is similar to new M3.+ 1. Very good point kzhtoo! And that speaker would couple extremely well in a lot of different size listening rooms from small-medium to large rooms.

Marck1973
August 8, 2017, 01:53 PM
So I will need to buy new since I have the trade in elements if I am to make the deal work...

+ 1. Very good point kzhtoo! And that speaker would couple extremely well in a lot of different size listening rooms from small-medium to large rooms.

gardener1
August 8, 2017, 03:10 PM
Marc
I have both ARC ref 40 and ARC ref 250se
And S7 previously S5 mark 1
Can I just say Magico and ARC tube amplification in my opinion is wonderful
So you can't go wrong
The S7 is an incredible speaker completely disappears
The only difference in our systems is I am a pure analogue person

Marck1973
August 8, 2017, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the reply, that is vey interesting since we have the same kit apart from the front end.

Was there a massive difference between the S7 and S5? Assume you are happy with the extra money paid for the S7 over the S5?

Btw have you got MPods, or tried them?

Thanks
Marc.

Marc
I have both ARC ref 40 and ARC ref 250se
And S7 previously S5 mark 1
Can I just say Magico and ARC tube amplification in my opinion is wonderful
So you can't go wrong
The S7 is an incredible speaker completely disappears
The only difference in our systems is I am a pure analogue person

gardener1
August 8, 2017, 05:21 PM
[QUOTE=Marck1973;212030]Thanks for the reply, that is vey interesting since we have the same kit apart from the front end.

Was there a massive difference between the S7 and S5? Assume you are happy with the extra money paid for the S7 over the S5?

Btw have you got MPods, or tried them?

Mine were the S5 mark1
Loved them again with ARC amps

But the S7 is so much bigger
I think Mike described it as a wall of sound . So right
But also for some music it is like the stero sound disappears ,and the central image takes over

No MPods no Subs haven't felt the need

Have not heard M3 but heard Mpro
Very very good but it was with solid state amplification so could not compare

Tubes and Magico work

Marck1973
August 11, 2017, 02:00 PM
I am very much looking forward to hearing them with the ARC amps, I think it will be a match made in heaven!

The more I read about the S7's, the more I am thinking this is the way to go....

Has anyone tried the MPod's on the S7's?

Thanks
Marc.

Marck1973
August 29, 2017, 11:29 AM
So I had the demo on Friday and thought I would let you all know how it went.

The equipment that was being used was pretty much the same as mine, although the amplifier was the ARC 150SE and not the 250SE's that I have. Apart from that all else was the same.

I spent pretty much the whole day in their demo room, and it was just us, so very private and was able to ask many questions and really listen to the qualities of the S7's.

I was expecting the mid and bass to be very different (better) from the CLX's, which in every way it was. Percussion actually sounded like drums, even with my sub on the CLX's it was no where near the same. It actually sounded real!

The complete range of what the S7's could do was so impressive, they had the air, transparency of electrostatic but with the clout and realism of big box speakers. Infact, when I returned home I played a couple of the tracks that I had listened to during the demo. I was so shocked, my system now sounded rather flat and unreal. These are two qualities which I have never associated my system with previously.

After the break we replaced the Ref150SE with a larger Constellation amplifier. I preferred the presentation of the ARC, however what I wanted to hear was how the speakers sounded with the bigger and more powerful amps. It was very obvious that the speakers definitely need the extra power. The grip and even more realism was more apparent then before. Hence my 250SE's will be a perfect match for the Magico's.

Oh, just to add, there were no additional tweaks added to the speakers, so for instance they were on standard feet. They wanted me to hear them as they come, which I agree is the better option.

So next steps, work out what deal I can get for the speakers, including the trade-in of my CLX's....!!! I will let you all know how that progresses. Exciting times ahead!!

Marc.

gardener1
August 29, 2017, 04:01 PM
Good luck Marc

Marck1973
August 30, 2017, 02:35 AM
Thx, will report back!!

Btw has anyone got the purple colour M-CAST finish? If so, what do you think? That is my likely colour choice.

Good luck Marc

Elberoth
August 30, 2017, 03:20 AM
It will be super difficoult to resell down the road ... if that matters to you.

Mike
August 30, 2017, 05:30 AM
Agree with Adam (Elberoth). That color would be a more difficult resell. Black, pewter, bronze are all popular. I like pewter myself.

Marck1973
August 30, 2017, 05:57 AM
So no love for either the Silver or Rose then? Ideally I prefer something with some contrast from the black front of the speaker.

Mike
August 30, 2017, 06:00 AM
So no love for either the Silver or Rose then? Ideally I prefer something with some contrast from the black front of the speaker.

I like silver. The rose is nice, but maybe tougher to resell should the need/desire arise? If you don't care about that, then most definitely get the color you want. It's too important and big of a purchase not to.

Marck1973
August 30, 2017, 06:10 AM
Not planning on selling anytime soon anyway. I have this mural on my front wall which will mate extremely well with the rose colour, hence my thinking....

BlueFox
August 30, 2017, 10:29 AM
Not planning on selling anytime soon anyway. I have this mural on my front wall which will mate extremely well with the rose colour, hence my thinking....

I had the S5 v1 in bronze, and while it sounded great, I didn't really care for the color. The S5 MKII in Rose fit right in with rack, and the room.

Marck1973
August 30, 2017, 02:51 PM
Anyone got the bronze? Thoughts?

Elberoth
August 30, 2017, 04:00 PM
Colors are a personal thing. My S5 mk 1 and S5 mk 2 were both in Bronze M-Cast. I loved that color.

Marck1973
August 30, 2017, 04:19 PM
Yes agreed. It is just difficult to visualise what the colour will look like over a much larger speaker. I have only seen the very small samples.
Currently heading for bronze though. Decided rose may not work if I change my room, whereas bronze can be matched to many colours.
M.

The Sandman
August 30, 2017, 04:54 PM
It hasn't been mentioned, but the M-Coat black is awesome, goes with everything, and is an easy sell compared to the others when it's time to upgrade. It costs more, but on a big speaker like the S7 it looks amazing.

And the MPODs are without a doubt a worthwhile upgrade BTW.

Marck1973
August 30, 2017, 05:00 PM
Thanks Howard.

I did look at a couple of the MCoat options, however budget was either that finish or MPods, so decided that I would prefer to invest in the MPods.

Good to hear that they do provide a rather rather positive impact.

M.

It hasn't been mentioned, but the M-Coat black is awesome, goes with everything, and is an easy sell compared to the others when it's time to upgrade. It costs more, but on a big speaker like the S7 it looks amazing.

And the MPODs are without a doubt a worthwhile upgrade BTW.

Alpinist
August 30, 2017, 05:06 PM
So I had the demo on Friday and thought I would let you all know how it went.

The equipment that was being used was pretty much the same as mine, although the amplifier was the ARC 150SE and not the 250SE's that I have. Apart from that all else was the same.

I spent pretty much the whole day in their demo room, and it was just us, so very private and was able to ask many questions and really listen to the qualities of the S7's.

I was expecting the mid and bass to be very different (better) from the CLX's, which in every way it was. Percussion actually sounded like drums, even with my sub on the CLX's it was no where near the same. It actually sounded real!

The complete range of what the S7's could do was so impressive, they had the air, transparency of electrostatic but with the clout and realism of big box speakers. Infact, when I returned home I played a couple of the tracks that I had listened to during the demo. I was so shocked, my system now sounded rather flat and unreal. These are two qualities which I have never associated my system with previously.

After the break we replaced the Ref150SE with a larger Constellation amplifier. I preferred the presentation of the ARC, however what I wanted to hear was how the speakers sounded with the bigger and more powerful amps. It was very obvious that the speakers definitely need the extra power. The grip and even more realism was more apparent then before. Hence my 250SE's will be a perfect match for the Magico's.

Oh, just to add, there were no additional tweaks added to the speakers, so for instance they were on standard feet. They wanted me to hear them as they come, which I agree is the better option.

So next steps, work out what deal I can get for the speakers, including the trade-in of my CLX's....!!! I will let you all know how that progresses. Exciting times ahead!!

Marc.

Earlier this year I did a four hour audition of the Magico S7 with ARC 250SE monoblocks, ARC Reference 6 preamp, Berkeley Reference 2 DAC and the top-of-the-line MIT cable loom. I would rank the system in the top five of anything I've heard over the last 25 years. The system was extremely lifelike sounding with all the power, dynamics, size and scale of a live performance. The bass was truly visceral, you could feel it to your core. Imaging had a laser-like focus to it. The speakers totally disappeared in the room. You really couldn't ask for anything more in my opinion. The S7's are lacking nowhere and are the complete package.

Ken

Marck1973
August 30, 2017, 05:17 PM
Thanks Ken, very interesting feedback indeed. So my Vivaldi and Ref40 should even surpass that!

Out of interest did you purchase?

Thx
Marc.

Earlier this year I did a four hour audition of the Magico S7 with ARC 250SE monoblocks, ARC Reference 6 preamp, Berkeley Reference 2 DAC and the top-of-the-line MIT cable loom. I would rank the system in the top five of anything I've heard over the last 25 years. The system was extremely lifelike sounding with all the power, dynamics, size and scale of a live performance. The bass was truly visceral, you could feel it to your core. Imaging had a laser-like focus to it. The speakers totally disappeared in the room. You really couldn't ask for anything more in my opinion. The S7's are lacking nowhere and are the complete package.

Ken

Alpinist
August 30, 2017, 05:29 PM
Thanks Ken, very interesting feedback indeed. So my Vivaldi and Ref40 should even surpass that!

Out of interest did you purchase?

Thx
Marc.

Hi Marc,

I ended up going with the Vandersteen 7 Mk2, Vandersteen M7-HPA monoblocks, ARC Reference 10 preamp and Berkeley Reference 2 DAC. The S7's were just too big for my non-dedicated listening room. I believe they would have overwhelmed it both in physical size and bass energy without substantial room treatments being added. The Vandersteen 7's moderate size and bass adjustability were the best match for my moderately sized family room.

And yes, your Vivaldi and Ref40 should definitely add to the party! I can't emphasize enough, how much the MIT loom of cables enhanced transparency, imaging and soundstage.

Best,
Ken

stsxerses
August 30, 2017, 06:05 PM
Hi Marc
I used to have a pair of S5 Mk 1s and changed them for the S7s about a year ago. In short I absolutely love them...a big improvement v the S5s (which were hardly shabby sounding) and addressed the only reservation I had about the S5s viz a lack of heft/body v my previous Wilson Sashas. Interestingly I have my S7s in quite a small room and they work brilliantly. They are being driven by a Soulution 711/725 combo with MIT cables and you would not believe the power and authority these speakers are capable of. My sense is that the S7s have become almost the cinderella of the Magico range with all the attention focussed on more recent additions to the line up! By the way mine are in bronze (like my previous S5s)...to my eyes they look classy but restrained and a nice change from the usual black or grey

Hi Marc,

I ended up going with the Vandersteen 7 Mk2, Vandersteen M7-HPA monoblocks, ARC Reference 10 preamp and Berkeley Reference 2 DAC. The S7's were just too big for my non-dedicated listening room. I believe they would have overwhelmed it both in physical size and bass energy without substantial room treatments being added. The Vandersteen 7's moderate size and bass adjustability were the best match for my moderately sized room.

And yes, your Vivaldi and Ref40 should definitely add to the party! I can't emphasize enough, how much the MIT loom of cables enhanced transparency, imaging and soundstage.

Best,
Ken

Marck1973
August 30, 2017, 06:27 PM
Makes sense, sounds like you have an awesome system there for sure!

Hi Marc,

I ended up going with the Vandersteen 7 Mk2, Vandersteen M7-HPA monoblocks, ARC Reference 10 preamp and Berkeley Reference 2 DAC. The S7's were just too big for my non-dedicated listening room. I believe they would have overwhelmed it both in physical size and bass energy without substantial room treatments being added. The Vandersteen 7's moderate size and bass adjustability were the best match for my moderately sized family room.

Best,
Ken

Alpinist
August 30, 2017, 06:30 PM
Not saying the S7's couldn't work in my room. These are just more appropriately sized for it.

Ken

http://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=20574&stc=1

Marck1973
August 30, 2017, 06:31 PM
Very useful insight, thank you. As you are aware my room isn't that large either.

I have never been a Wilson fan, although there newer speakers are much more musical than the older series. For many years I have been a Martin Logan owner. Now that the rest of the system was improved to a much more significant level, the speakers really needed to be upgraded to benefit from the other components.

I kind of agree about the S7's being that sweet spot (certainly taking into consideration that a majority of their products are at the higher end).

Is there anyway you can upload a photo of the S7's in bronze? I am yet to see a pair!

Thank you very much
Marc.

Hi Marc
I used to have a pair of S5 Mk 1s and changed them for the S7s about a year ago. In short I absolutely love them...a big improvement v the S5s (which were hardly shabby sounding) and addressed the only reservation I had about the S5s viz a lack of heft/body v my previous Wilson Sashas. Interestingly I have my S7s in quite a small room and they work brilliantly. They are being driven by a Soulution 711/725 combo with MIT cables and you would not believe the power and authority these speakers are capable of. My sense is that the S7s have become almost the cinderella of the Magico range with all the attention focussed on more recent additions to the line up! By the way mine are in bronze (like my previous S5s)...to my eyes they look classy but restrained and a nice change from the usual black or grey

Marck1973
August 30, 2017, 06:37 PM
Very smart indeed, what is the width of your room btw?
M.

Alpinist
August 30, 2017, 06:43 PM
Hi Marc

I am quite familiar with the 725/711 combo. Man, do they have bass grip. They must have huge synergy with the S7's. I used to own the 520/501's with Raidho D3 V2. They are terrific components.

Best,
Ken

Alpinist
August 30, 2017, 07:00 PM
Very smart indeed, what is the width of your room btw?
M.

Not sure if the question is for me but here goes. My room is asymmetrical. 21 feet long, 14 feet wide at the front wall and 17 feet wide at the back wall. 8 foot ceiling.

Ken

Marck1973
August 31, 2017, 05:04 AM
Thanks Ken. Lovely system you have

Marck1973
September 1, 2017, 05:49 PM
Update time!!

Today I placed the order for the S7's. Went for bronze. Also added the MPods. Now the wait begins. Very excited indeed.

M.

Alpinist
September 1, 2017, 08:30 PM
Update time!!

Today I placed the order for the S7's. Went for bronze. Also added the MPods. Now the wait begins. Very excited indeed.

M.

Congrats Marc! You are going to love them. Wait until you hear the REF40 and Ref250SE with them. The sound quality is going to blow you away. If you can do the MIT cabling, you won't regret it. That was a key piece of the system I auditioned. Just huge synergy. You can see why Magico uses them.

Best,
Ken

Marck1973
September 2, 2017, 03:57 AM
Thanks Ken.

I can't wait to have them here, although need to break them in. How many hours would you expect for them to start to sound like they should do?

In terms of cabling, I am a Transparent Audio guy. Did you ever try them with these cables?

M.

Congrats Marc! You are going to love them. Wait until you hear the REF40 and Ref250SE with them. The sound quality is going to blow you away. If you can do the MIT cabling, you won't regret it. That was a key piece of the system I auditioned. Just huge synergy. You can see why Magico uses them.

Best,
Ken

Alpinist
September 2, 2017, 07:23 AM
Thanks Ken.

I can't wait to have them here, although need to break them in. How many hours would you expect for them to start to sound like they should do?

In terms of cabling, I am a Transparent Audio guy. Did you ever try them with these cables?

M.

Hi Marc,

I believe at least 500 hours for them to come into their own. I have not heard Transparent cables with the S7. My dealer recommends MIT. You may want to try both to ensure you are getting the full potential out of the speakers.

Best,
Ken

Marck1973
September 2, 2017, 08:10 AM
Thanks, what I thought re number of hours. Think I will enjoy the break in period!

Changing cables isn't on the agenda, my loom is Transparent. The distributor here in the U.K. Uses Transparent (which is what was used during the demo), so think all will be fine.

M.

gardener1
September 2, 2017, 08:17 AM
Great choice wonderful speaker.
Had mine about a year and they seem to get better and better

Marck1973
September 2, 2017, 12:39 PM
Wow, getting more and more excited!! 6-8 weeks delivery have been told, so not too bad at all.

Elberoth
September 2, 2017, 12:56 PM
Congrats ! You can't go wrong with either S5 mk 2 and S7.

I had two S5 pairs in M-Cast Bronze - it is a great looking color.

Marck1973
September 2, 2017, 12:57 PM
Thank you, expecting them to look and sound amazing!!

Marck1973
September 13, 2017, 08:13 AM
Initial build of speakers scheduled for next week.... Yay!

Mike
September 13, 2017, 10:06 AM

Exciting stuff! I can't wait for you to get them.

stsxerses
September 13, 2017, 01:27 PM
Hi Marc, congrats on choice of speaker, I also have the S7s in bronze and honestly they are by far the best speaker I have ever owned. I think I saw you are in the UK (Im based in London) so please feel free to send me a private message. All the best

Marck1973
November 3, 2017, 12:49 PM
Just been informed speakers have shipped, so maximum of two weeks until they are installed. Getting rather excited now!

In terms of burn-in, how long is required please? And are there different stages, so is the initial say 50 hours the most significant etc

Thanks
Marc.

Mike
November 3, 2017, 03:34 PM
I have a pair of Magico S7's (in MCast Bronze coming in on trade for a customer that has moved to the Magico M3's due to a smaller room. If anyone is interested, please PM me for details.

Marck1973
November 3, 2017, 03:37 PM
Should also add that today I got my new Transparent Gen V cables (balanced and speaker cables Ref XL) so starting to run those in now....! Also replaced my power cables with the new Opus level ones. Amazing improvement out of the box brand new. Can't imagine how good they will become once burned in...

Marck1973
November 21, 2017, 08:10 AM
This Thursday is speaker installation day ��. Should be a fascinating day in many ways!!

Mike
November 21, 2017, 08:11 AM
Awesome! Pictures please.

Marck1973
November 21, 2017, 08:12 AM
Sure will post some photos....

Marck1973
November 23, 2017, 03:57 PM
So after a 2.5 month wait and anticipation, the day finally arrived.

Getting the CLX's down the stairs and packed away took some time, however no issues were encountered. Next up, unboxing the Magico's and the fun and games in manoeuvring 140kg up the stairs! Thankfully the guys from Absolute Sounds are very well experienced in this, and the whole process was smooth, overseen and coordinated by Pedro.

The speakers were then connected and left to run for 30 minutes or so. We then placed them into approximate positions. Pedro then spent around 2 hours moving and re-positioning so that they were in a more optimum position. Clearly things will change over the coming weeks, but even still we identified the best placement. Next was to replace the castors with the Mpod's. They look and feel amazing, just so well made. Even with zero hours on the clock you could still instantly hear what they did with the speaker.

Now to the most important part, the sound. Oh my, difficult to explain. The CLX's were and are great speakers. However they are simply not in the same league (as they shouldn't be really considering the difference in pricing), still I was flabbergasted. The dynamic range, the base, the tweeter, everything about them just amazing. Oh and did I mention the finish, simply stunning.

As you can tell, I am so pleased with my decision to change. I had electrostatics for over 20 years, so it was a big deal for me. Now I can't wait to spend the next 20+ years with my Magicos.

I will continue to report back as I get some additional hours on them. Thanks all for listening.
http://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=21185&stc=1http://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=21186&stc=1

gardener1
November 23, 2017, 04:13 PM
Marck
fantastic
You wait better and better

And what gets me is they completely disappear like my old maggies

Nice to see you have the correct amplification
Well done