PDA

View Full Version : Audio Research Trade Up Program

philb7777
June 27, 2017, 08:38 PM
Anyone know details on the Audio Research Trade Up Program? It is running from June 15 - July 31, 2017. You can trade up your current Audio Research gear and get a trade in value of up to 75% of MSRP. I am wondering, does your gear go directly to Audio Research or does the Audio Research dealer take it for resale? If got a Ref 5se and Ref Phono 2se with around 1800 hours on them and I'm curious what I can get in trade in for a Ref 6 and Ref 3. Just wondering how this exactly works as I have no local Audio Research dealer anymore.

http://audioresearch.thehouseofmouse.it/en-us/company/trade-in-to-trade-up-program

Thanks for any additional info anyone can give.

philb7777
June 29, 2017, 10:15 AM
Here is some info I have acquired:

As far as sending the product back to ARC, the dealer has the option to keep it or send it back. Either way, a customer can get it up to 75% of MSRP.

The way it works is that you can upgrade preamp to preamp, and phono to phono. The new ARC product must cost at least the MSRP of your original piece + the 75% you're getting for it. So that would eliminate, for example, a Ref 5se owner moving up to a Ref 6. A Ref 10 would be the only preamp one could trade up to in that system.

Randy Myers
July 5, 2017, 12:57 AM
I am wondering about something like my VT-50 with about 200 hours on the tubes (since full refurb at factory) to a VT-80. Another issue for me is there are no dealers within several hours of me.

Jack
July 5, 2017, 01:21 AM
Randy

I don't think that is enough of an upgrade to warrant the extra cost. Try the other tubes first. Make your speaker decision first and then decide on amp changes.

Randy Myers
July 5, 2017, 01:35 AM
Hehe Jack, I am thinking about all of the above. I actual e-mailed ARC about upgrading tubes in the VT-50. I have read articles saying how much they like the KT-88 in the VT-50. I can honestly say the ARC is a great amp, but the First Watt has just a little something... so wondering if the KT-88 will make up that difference... I am also trying to think long term and something like the VT-80 may last me forever... I don't think the VT-50 will being that it is 15 years old. Am I wrong in this thought?

asiufy
July 5, 2017, 01:38 AM
I am wondering about something like my VT-50 with about 200 hours on the tubes (since full refurb at factory) to a VT-80. Another issue for me is there are no dealers within several hours of me.

Randy,

That situation works. Send me an email and we can discuss, perhaps I can help (alex@almaaudio.com)

cheers,
alex

Jack
July 5, 2017, 08:42 AM
Randy

With proper care and maintenance there is no reason the VT-50 won't be around to pass down to your grandchildren just like all the Fisher's, Scott's, Dynaco's and others still doing daily duty. If on the other hand you just have the "upgrade itch" again then all of this is irrelevant, but the tubes will change the sound somewhat. It will not however make it sound like a Pass design nor will the VT-80.

Randy Myers
July 5, 2017, 09:00 AM
Thank Jack... You always have great insight :).... I would say not so much an upgrade itch as a long term solution. Wanting to make sure that the amplifiers are good for the long haul. It sounds like you are saying that there is no reason that the VT-50 (or my First Watt for that matter) will not last as long as I want them to.

Jack
July 5, 2017, 10:20 AM
Randy

There is no shelf life on the quality stuff. I would suspect that most of the amps, preamps, integrated amps and receivers you sold all these years ago are with care are still working fine today. I still have or have recently sold components from the 70's that are still chugging along. Tape related products and lower end TT's were somewhat exceptions due to improper maintenance. Also paper surround speakers which can easily and cheaply be fixed.

Randy Myers
July 5, 2017, 12:30 PM
Well I heard back from ARC. They answered two questions for me. Their new products can be sold to me by ANY Audio Research dealer, not just my closest one, which I had been told before. Therefore I can purchase one from a dealer of my choising. Again I had heard this was not the case before. Also they confirmed that KT-88 tubes can be used in the VT-50 amplifier. I have read both that they can be and that they can not be used. I trust you explicitly Jack, but I wanted to get it in writing from ARC. Of course they confirmed that KT-120's and KT-150's can be used in the VT-80 (even though I did not ask that question :) ).