PDA

View Full Version : McIntosh MQ 101 question??

KingRT10
June 6, 2013, 08:58 PM
What source should it equalize? It connects into tape 1 on the Mac receiver. It's the first time that I have hooked it up.

JJinID
June 6, 2013, 11:03 PM
Hi Mike,

Does your MAC 1700 have a processor loop? I believe the MQ101 is meant to be between preamp and before amp and used for all sources for your ML1-Cs.

GaryProtein
June 6, 2013, 11:52 PM
The MQ101 is designed specifically for the early series McIntosh speakers like your ML1C.

You can use it through your tape loop or a preamp out/power am in connections on your receiver.

It is NOT designed to be a tone control. It is for room equalization.

Be very careful if you use them with other speakers as you could overdrive your woofers.

KingRT10
June 7, 2013, 07:43 AM
So through the tape loop, does it equalize the speakers with only one source?
As it will not effect FM or other sources not plugged into the MQ 101.

GaryProtein
June 7, 2013, 10:16 AM
Through the tape loop, the MQ101 will equalize whatever you are listening to.

The tape loop is the precursor to the processor loop. Just keep your tape monitor on all the time and the equalizer will work on all your sources.

The "tape monitor" switch on the MQ101 is for use when you are using a tape deck and want to hear that, which would be plugged into the MQ101. The "tape monitor" on the receiver will keep the MQ101 in your sound path.

KingRT10
June 7, 2013, 11:23 AM
Thanks!
What confused me is that it did/does not work on FM.

GaryProtein
June 7, 2013, 01:29 PM
REALLY?? Are you sure? Do you get nothing or do you get an UNequalized signal out? When you changes the settings on the low, mid or high frequency dials you get no change in the sound or NO sound out?

I'm not that familiar with your Mc receiver, but I don't know why it shouldn't work on FM if it works on the other sources.

KingRT10
June 7, 2013, 02:55 PM
I could not hear a difference with a quick listen and Roger Russell said no, if he understood my poorly worded question.
All of this led me to think it only worked through Tape 1, and not all the MAC sources since FM was a no go.
I am going to move my cd player connection from the MQ101, to the Mac Aux.
So in closing, I am still not sure about FM.
You would think the MQ is between everything or nothing.

GaryProtein
June 7, 2013, 03:09 PM
I have used other equalizers in tape monitor paths [I used an MQ101 before I got my MQ107], and the equalizer always worked for everything when the tape monitor switch was "ON."

In my present Living Room system I use the MQ107 between the preamp and power amp.

GaryProtein
June 7, 2013, 03:21 PM
See if you can download an owners manual. Since it was written about the same time as the MAC1700 was current, it should have valuable information in the set-up.

KingRT10
June 7, 2013, 08:30 PM
I have the manual. It's not chock full of information. What a surprise. No wonder 1970's sales guys did not understand it or sell many.