PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard the REL S5 subs?

Kuoppis
December 31, 2016, 05:13 AM
I am contemplating about adding subs to my system and the REL S5s seem like a bargain for the performance.

Any experiences, views on those?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MDP
December 31, 2016, 08:30 AM
i have the S2's and absolutely love them! I'm sure the S5's would be amazing.

wklie
December 31, 2016, 09:19 AM
I have the S3 and am happy with it for both music and movies. I believe REL is best for integration into main speakers for music, but I guess people typically prefer a different kind of bass for movies.

Kuoppis
December 31, 2016, 09:25 AM
I have the S3 and am happy with it for both music and movies. I believe REL is best for integration into main speakers for music, but I guess people typically prefer a different kind of bass for movies.

Thank you, great input. I am actually looking to enhance the mids instead of getting more earthquake rumble for movies.

Kuoppis
December 31, 2016, 09:41 AM
And I do have this really smart question, as I have not used subs before: how and where do I connect the sub? How is it done if I have a) one or b) two of the REL S5s?

Jack
December 31, 2016, 12:01 PM
With the REL the prefered method is speaker level and they provide the cables to get started in the box.

wklie
December 31, 2016, 12:27 PM
And I do have this really smart question, as I have not used subs before: how and where do I connect the sub?

REL is connected like this, but note that this is different from most other subwoofers:
http://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=18060&stc=1

Jim Smith
December 31, 2016, 12:45 PM
I am contemplating about adding subs to my system and the REL S5s seem like a bargain for the performance.

Any experiences, views on those?

I have worked with them a number of times. Excellent value and highest performance in their price range, IMO.

However, I have not used them with speakers that were smaller than floor-standing.

Kuoppis
December 31, 2016, 07:15 PM
I have worked with them a number of times. Excellent value and highest performance in their price range, IMO.

However, I have not used them with speakers that were smaller than floor-standing.

Jim, thank you for your kind advise, it's very much appreciated. Could not think of a better recommendation.

My speakers are floorstanding Magico S3s.

Kuoppis
December 31, 2016, 07:16 PM
REL is connected like this, but note that this is different from most other subwoofers:
http://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=18060&stc=1

Excellent, this will work wonderfully with my Ayre VX-5/20.

Elberoth
January 1, 2017, 05:15 AM
Do they offer any advanced functions (DSP) like some latest designs from other manufacturers ?

MacFly
January 2, 2017, 04:19 PM
I have a pair of the S5 subs connected to the rear of the Salon 2's , they added to the musical experience really brought out the mids.
excited how it turned out .