PDA

View Full Version : Julie London: Julie Is Her Name

The Absolute Sound
June 5, 2013, 12:10 AM
<p>
She had the twin gifts of naturalness and perfection. She could sing as Eve might have in the Garden of Eden: no artifice, no professional tricks, no mannerisms, the voice every woman would have in a perfect world, the ultimate in art concealing art. And her control of intonation has been seldom equaled, in either popular or classical realms: it was perfection itself.</p>
<p>
Her singing was intrinsically intimate: she sang close to the microphone (Telefunken here), seldom at full voice. Her approach was understatement, the songs as pure music with minimal rhetoric. For those who appreciate the style, I most definitely among them, she is the one and only, the incomparable, the unforgettable.</p>
<p>
This is a two-record 45rpm reissue of her first (mono) LP (it was on Liberty), which included her career-defining hit (3 million sold in 1956!) “Cry me a River.” Boxstar’s reissues are superbly made, with extremely quiet surfaces (Paul Seydor adds his bravo for this) and the freedom from distortion that make well-cut 45rpm discs supreme over 33 1/3—as close to the sound of the original tape as imaginable. This is Julie London as you always wished you could hear her, in truly beautiful sound. Don’t miss it.*</p>

[Source: http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/julie-london-julie-is-her-name/]

MusicDirector
June 5, 2013, 10:52 AM
A bit of trivia: Julie London was/is married to Bobby Troupe another musician of equal caliber. Julie London often sang with Bobby Troupe live and recorded. Both also became actors and starred together in the 70's TV series: Emergency.

joeinid
June 5, 2013, 11:05 AM
Very cool! Didn't know that.

A bit of trivia: Julie London was/is married to Bobby Troupe another musician of equal caliber. Julie London often sang with Bobby Troupe live and recorded. Both also became actors and starred together in the 70's TV series: Emergency.

dlb2
June 5, 2013, 11:24 AM
Cool! :coolyeah:

http://wpcontent.answcdn.com/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cb/Julie_London_Bobby_Troup_Emergency_1971.JPG/220px-Julie_London_Bobby_Troup_Emergency_1971.JPG

MusicDirector
June 5, 2013, 11:47 AM
As campy as it was, I still like that show.