PDA

View Full Version : My Stillpoints 360

Kuoppis
December 6, 2016, 10:58 AM
I remember some time ago there were discussions on the forum about whether or not to have Stillpoints under your speakers. Especially the Magico fanboys thought their LS are better without. In my environment at that time, with rather difficult acoustics and lots of reflection points, I felt the Ultra SS gave the S3s a bit more body in the midrange.

Now having moved house some time ago and settled with a dedicated music room with acoustic threatments, I today tried the LS without Stillpoints.

Boy, what a difference: Bass became more controlled, highs better defined and the soundstage almost doubled. I guess the element in my system with the most impact on the sound is the room [emoji1].

Hmm, you never learn out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike
December 6, 2016, 11:03 AM
Alon gave a great talk at our tour about Stillpoints on Magico speakers. Definitely a no-no. He specifically designed the MPOD's for the speakers. I wish they didn't make as dramatic a difference as they do, but they do! After the tour, I now better understand the QPOD/MPOD technology. I would love to have some QPOD's to try under my electronics.

Glad to hear the sound is back! Less is more sometimes.

bonzo
December 6, 2016, 11:32 AM
I replaced all my stillpoints with Shun Mooks (under components, you cannot use Shun Mook under speakers). Greg Baron of UHA tape deck fame has his whole tape deck modded with Shun Mooks. I have compared during many visits with SRA, Finite Elemente, Symposium, Shun Mooks are the best. The only ones that could possibly be better are Dalby. Or very expensive active components like Herzan, though I have never compared.

Kuoppis
December 6, 2016, 12:23 PM
Alon gave a great talk at our tour about Stillpoints on Magico speakers. Definitely a no-no. He specifically designed the MPOD's for the speakers. I wish they didn't make as dramatic a difference as they do, but they do! After the tour, I now better understand the QPOD/MPOD technology. I would love to have some QPOD's to try under my electronics.

Glad to hear the sound is back! Less is more sometimes.

I new that Alon is not a fan, but was not aware he spoke about use of Stillpoints during the Sharks visit.

Today I clearly heard why he does not recommend them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk