PDA

View Full Version : What usb cables you use for your lampi?

murphys33
December 1, 2016, 09:04 AM
Please share the usb cable that you have used with your lampi and those that you have compared.
I currently use kimber usb into regen and intona. I used a curious prior but it does not work with intona.

wisnon
December 1, 2016, 09:49 AM
I use the Lampi unpowered cable. I hear good things abot the Sablon unpowered and all the unpowered cables with Amanero usb. I have not done much camparison though.

As a short term measure, one can also use the Sbooster adapter that breaks the power connection from your favourite powered cable like the TotalDac cable, or use the dual cables from Light harmonic and ifi and keep the powered half unconnected.

Mike
December 1, 2016, 09:52 AM
WireWorld Platinum 6
WireWorld Platinum 7
Curious USB
Siltech Royal Signature USB

No contest for me....Siltech.

wisnon
December 1, 2016, 10:05 AM
Is the Siltech unpowered? if not, try the power cutter adapter with it. Its cheap at $20 or so. Maybe ifi iDefender does the same thing too.

https://www.sbooster.com/sbooster-tweaks/sbooster-vbus-isolator?language=en

and

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-idefender3-0/

Note that the Amanero does not need external power in the Lampi.

Kuoppis
December 1, 2016, 11:18 AM
WireWorld Platinum 6
WireWorld Platinum 7
Curious USB
Siltech Royal Signature USB

No contest for me....Siltech.

Mike, I know you are a Siltech fanboy, but ever tried the PAD 30th Anniversary USB? Heard it on Tuesday and it beats at least the Curious by quite a bit - especially low-end definition was better and overall balance was also very good. Detailed in the highs but not sharp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

murphys33
December 1, 2016, 06:27 PM
I use a aurender w20 which allows the usb power to be cut off and that allows for a.overall better presentation.

Mike
December 1, 2016, 06:55 PM
Mike, I know you are a Siltech fanboy, but ever tried the PAD 30th Anniversary USB? Heard it on Tuesday and it beats at least the Curious by quite a bit - especially low-end definition was better and overall balance was also very good. Detailed in the highs but not sharp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm definitely that! No, haven't tried it. You know what cable I'm curious about is a Nordost USB. I wonder how good they are? Also, if it wasn't for DSD, IMHO, AES/EBU is a much better sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Devg
December 2, 2016, 06:03 AM
Anybody tried and compared the Audience Au24 USB ?

Genjamon
December 2, 2016, 02:44 PM
DanaUSB was significantly better than the Curious IMO and with others locally. But my buddy's new offering JMaxwell USB is significantly better than Dana and for quite a bit less $$. But with the microRendu, I found no USB (using a hard adapter) was better than any USB. And finally, I'm using an F-1 USB-SPDIF converter going into my B7's coax - for mo better sound than the Lampi USB input.

I don't think the stock Amanero USB board from Lampi is up to the level of other USB boards available (the F-1 is certainly better). Haven't heard the superclock, so maybe that would re-level the playing field, but I have yet to learn what exactly is entailed in the superclock option.

RV.
January 19, 2017, 10:59 AM
I don't think the stock Amanero USB board from Lampi is up to the level of other USB boards available (the F-1 is certainly better). Haven't heard the superclock, so maybe that would re-level the playing field, but I have yet to learn what exactly is entailed in the superclock option.

The new USB-board (with the superclocks) gives me a better result then I get with a PPA DDC (latest version) powered by a dedicated lpsu. Quite impressive to be honest.

Genjamon
January 19, 2017, 01:26 PM
The new USB-board (with the superclocks) gives me a better result then I get with a PPA DDC (latest version) powered by a dedicated lpsu. Quite impressive to be honest.

That's great feedback - thanks for sharing. I may have an opportunity to upgrade to superclocks in the coming months, so it sounds like that would be a good step to take. Actually, regarding the F-1, I have recently discovered some synergy issues with it. It is cleaner and clearer than the standard USB input. However, I just upgraded wall outlets to the Furutech NCF with wall plate and so forth. This yielded a surprising increase in overall system detail retrieval. After this upgrade, however, I felt the system became a bit too lean sounding for some reason. I was considering removing the wall plate because it mucked with the overall system synergy and tonal balance.

However, I decided to swap back to the USB input on the lampi - removing the F-1. Wow, now the USB has the right system synergy while the F-1 is a bit hard and lean sounding. Instruments are cleaner and more precisely delineated through F-1 still, but now sounding sterile. Very interesting. To this point, I had always found the F-1 to be an unequivocal improvement over the standard USB input. I'm still interested in the superclocks, though.

Just goes to show, system synergy can be everything.

MusicMan
January 19, 2017, 09:51 PM
Is the Siltech unpowered? if not, try the power cutter adapter with it. Its cheap at $20 or so. Maybe ifi iDefender does the same thing too.

https://www.sbooster.com/sbooster-tweaks/sbooster-vbus-isolator?language=en

and

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-idefender3-0/

Note that the Amanero does not need external power in the Lampi.

Thanks for the SBooster link and advice Winson!

RV.
January 24, 2017, 11:26 AM
That's great feedback - thanks for sharing. I may have an opportunity to upgrade to superclocks in the coming months, so it sounds like that would be a good step to take. Actually, regarding the F-1, I have recently discovered some synergy issues with it. It is cleaner and clearer than the standard USB input. However, I just upgraded wall outlets to the Furutech NCF with wall plate and so forth. This yielded a surprising increase in overall system detail retrieval. After this upgrade, however, I felt the system became a bit too lean sounding for some reason. I was considering removing the wall plate because it mucked with the overall system synergy and tonal balance.

However, I decided to swap back to the USB input on the lampi - removing the F-1. Wow, now the USB has the right system synergy while the F-1 is a bit hard and lean sounding. Instruments are cleaner and more precisely delineated through F-1 still, but now sounding sterile. Very interesting. To this point, I had always found the F-1 to be an unequivocal improvement over the standard USB input. I'm still interested in the superclocks, though.

Just goes to show, system synergy can be everything.

To come back to the original question of this topic, I am using the latest (unpowered) Sablon Audio USB cable in combination with the JPlay femto USB card. Together with the superclocks on the Lampi and upsampeling everything with HQPlayer to DSD512 the sound is magnificent. However, I am still working on one streamer to get my dual streamer setup to work again. Once that has been done I will be able to give a more detailed inside on how good this USB cable from Sablon is working.