PDA

View Full Version : HDMI Cable for Transport to DAC

Audio 1
November 23, 2016, 07:40 PM
I have a Bryston BDA-3 DAC with an Oppo player serving as the transport via the HDMI connection that allows for SACD playback.

I do not use the transport frequently, but I do want the connection to be up to par when I do. HDMI cables are somewhat complex as they carry multiple types of signal.

I would like opinions on the best cable for audio transmission.
Any feedback on cables that may be best suited for maximizing my application would be most appreciated.

rbbert
November 23, 2016, 08:27 PM
I've been thinking about this as well, although I don't have a DAT with an HDMI input (yet). Shunyata makes at least one such cable, I use it between my 95 and my TV.

Mr Peabody
November 27, 2016, 10:40 PM
Seems many people claim there's not much difference in HDMI cables for short distances, a meter or less. My experience was different. I've had good luck with Tributaries HDMI, good performance at a reasonable price. If you want a higher end cable you might try the Clarus Crimson.

Several years ago I bought a new Marantz A/v preamp, it was not sounding as it should, I tried everything. I was using a $40.00 HDMI, and a recognizable brand. Finally, on a whim, and last resort, I borrowed a Tributaries HDMI from a shop, put it in place, my problem was cured. So I've been loyal to the brand since.

I see you use Wire World, I'd think their product would be good as well.

Mike
November 27, 2016, 11:06 PM
I have a WireWorld Platinum 7 HDMI I used as a i2s with my PS Audio DirectStream DAC and was very pleased with the performance. I can't say I've really tried any others from an audio perspective.

Kuoppis
November 27, 2016, 11:31 PM
Do not really have a use case for a hi-end HDMI, but for video streaming I use Inakustik.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rantzmar
November 28, 2016, 02:56 PM
I'd go with Wireworld as well...I've used them with great results.

matt_zak
November 28, 2016, 03:09 PM
WireWorld makes some nice HDMI cables. I use the Ultraviolet and Silver Starlight for various video applications with no issues. I have an Audioquest Vodka that does a great job as well.

Audio 1
November 28, 2016, 05:04 PM
Big thanks for all the helpful responses. I will do some comparisons in the near future.