PDA

View Full Version : Lumin NOW works with ROON

Mike
August 25, 2016, 07:04 PM
https://roonlabs.com/partners.html

Elem79
August 25, 2016, 07:08 PM
https://roonlabs.com/partners.html

Any special requirements other than downloading Roon? Is there a firmware update as well? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elem79
August 25, 2016, 07:41 PM
Just read through the instructions. Guess I'll need to get my network engineer hat on for this to work on my NAS.

wklie
August 25, 2016, 09:41 PM
There is no Lumin firmware upgrade that adds support for Roon (other than via AirPlay) for the time being.

Mike
August 25, 2016, 09:53 PM
There is no Lumin firmware upgrade that adds support for Roon (other than via AirPlay) for the time being.

Is one coming?

audio.bill
August 25, 2016, 10:10 PM
You can see on the page Mike linked to in the first post that Lumin is marked with an asterisk, which denotes 'coming soon' in the footnote.

Elberoth
August 26, 2016, 01:54 AM
Is one coming?

* coming soon

wklie
August 26, 2016, 05:54 AM
Is one coming?

That's not for me to say.

RichardA1
August 26, 2016, 12:22 PM
I really love Roon it works great on my qnap nas, it manages a huge library and also gives me some nice music info.
One of the reasons I got the Lumin U1 was that they listed Lumin as a Roon partner back in January at CES.
I would think there are many Lumin owners that have been waiting patiently for some solid information.

rrwmd
August 26, 2016, 04:55 PM
I really love Roon it works great on my qnap nas, it manages a huge library and also gives me some nice music info.
One of the reasons I got the Lumin U1 was that they listed Lumin as a Roon partner back in January at CES.
I would think there are many Lumin owners that have been waiting patiently for some solid information.

+1

I know a couple of potential A1 or S1 buyers, and also myself contemplating an upgrade to S1, all waiting to find out if current models will be Roon capable via firmware updates or if new hardware/unit will be what it takes. Would be nice to know this. Seems it's been in the plans for quite some time but still no solid information.

wklie
September 12, 2016, 11:43 PM
I know a couple of potential A1 or S1 buyers, and also myself contemplating an upgrade to S1, all waiting to find out if current models will be Roon capable via firmware updates

Currently, Lumin can be used with Roon via AirPlay.

Lumin remains committed to supporting Roon Ready via firmware upgrade for existing models.

Elem79
September 13, 2016, 07:48 AM
According to Roon, there will be an update soon, so hopefully...

wklie
September 13, 2016, 09:29 PM
According to Roon, there will be an update soon, so hopefully...

Any link?

Elem79
September 13, 2016, 10:49 PM
Hi Peter, I signed up for Roon straight away when I found out you were a partner. Was under the impression it was firmware compatible and not only AirPlay. I canceled once I found this out. Roon contacted me via email and told me that I should be on the lookout for something in the way of a firmware update soon and that I should continue to monitor the forums as well for information regarding this.

rrwmd
September 14, 2016, 07:18 AM

Lumin remains committed to supporting Roon Ready via firmware upgrade for existing models.

Thank you for this info Peter. That's good to hear.

Elem79
December 22, 2016, 03:45 PM

Any update as to when Roon will be compatible with the S1? Thanks!

wklie
December 22, 2016, 09:15 PM
We're working on it.

Elem79
December 22, 2016, 09:46 PM
We're working on it.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wklie
January 5, 2017, 06:21 AM
Since we don't have anything new to show in this CES, I'd like to give a status update on the Lumin Roon Ready effort.

Lumin Roon Ready will be made for S1 / A1 / T1 / D1 first, followed by M1, then with additional delay U1. U1 requires more time because it is based on a different platform, and its USB output requires additional work.

Using Roon I can now see and control Lumin S1 / A1 / T1 / D1 as a Roon Ready device, change volume and show music title and artist in the front panel. Some more work is required with the actual audio output for PCM and DSD, but I expect that should be done in a week or two.

After that we will perform some testing and fixes, and hopefully submit it to the Roon Ready certification process by the end of this month. Certification takes time.

For those who are interested in helping to test non-public beta support for Roon (U1 excluded) before certification, please let me know. Thank you.

RichardA1
January 5, 2017, 01:14 PM
Great news Peter. As a U1 owner I am wondering what "additional delay" translates to in real time?

wklie
January 6, 2017, 02:05 AM
Great news Peter. As a U1 owner I am wondering what "additional delay" translates to in real time?

Probably a few weeks.

RichardA1
January 6, 2017, 02:24 AM
Thanks for the update and all the hard work.

Mike
January 6, 2017, 07:42 AM
wklie - thanks for all your continued help, support and contributions. [emoji106][emoji106]

Elem79
January 9, 2017, 05:10 PM
Since we don't have anything new to show in this CES, I'd like to give a status update on the Lumin Roon Ready effort.

Lumin Roon Ready will be made for S1 / A1 / T1 / D1 first, followed by M1, then with additional delay U1. U1 requires more time because it is based on a different platform, and its USB output requires additional work.

Using Roon I can now see and control Lumin S1 / A1 / T1 / D1 as a Roon Ready device, change volume and show music title and artist in the front panel. Some more work is required with the actual audio output for PCM and DSD, but I expect that should be done in a week or two.

After that we will perform some testing and fixes, and hopefully submit it to the Roon Ready certification process by the end of this month. Certification takes time.

For those who are interested in helping to test non-public beta support for Roon (U1 excluded) before certification, please let me know. Thank you.

I'd be happy to beta test on my S1. Thanks!

rrwmd
January 9, 2017, 07:04 PM
wklie - thanks for all your continued help, support and contributions. [emoji106][emoji106]

+1

Peter--your presence and timely input here are much appreciated!

wklie
January 9, 2017, 11:36 PM
Beta firmware for S1 / A1 / T1 / D1 will be ready soon.

joeinid
January 9, 2017, 11:47 PM
That's awesome!

Thank you.

kimurastanley
January 10, 2017, 08:48 AM
Just received the update

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

kimurastanley
January 10, 2017, 09:17 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170110/8027450e56a573361f575dc24d4d5b92.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

wklie
January 10, 2017, 11:25 AM
This post applies to Lumin S1 / A1 / T1 / D1 Firmware 8.00roontest1 dated 2017-1-10

Our product manager decided to release this Lumin Roon firmware before it goes through the certification process. We'll initiate the certification process tomorrow.

** Since this is not certified, if anyone finds any issue, please let me know and please DO NOT post to Roon forum (because it is not certified yet)

Normal:

- "Unknown Filter" in Lumin Signal Path for resampling is not a bug - this conforms to Roon 1.3 specifications and requires Roon 1.3 to display correctly

- If Roon is playing, starting Lumin app will stop the Roon playback - this is normal

- If Roon is playing, changing some of the Lumin settings will stop the Roon playback and restart the support for Roon - this is normal

- If necessary, Roon support (and AirPlay) can be disabled by turning off Lumin Streaming

Known issues:

- Some transitions to DSD may result in a pop noise (for this reason, upsampling to DSD is not recommended) (We will try to fix this problem but it will take some time)

- If you switch to Lumin app while playing from Roon, the Lumin app display may look a little odd

- If you run into a performance issue with high sampling rates, please let me know the sampling rate(s) giving your problems and your network infrastructure - whether WiFi-LAN adapter or powerline adapter is involved

Thank you.

Elem79
January 10, 2017, 03:58 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170110/052da58ce2bec2021f8b1426e869055e.jpg

wklie
January 12, 2017, 06:21 AM
DSD pop sound should be fixed in 8.00roontest2.

joeinid
January 12, 2017, 09:07 AM
Peter Lie,

Thank you and thank Lumin so much for all the hard work and diligence you are all displaying. Your efforts are sincerely appreciated, more than you know. Lumin manufacturers extremely fine and musical sounding players, adding MQA compatibility will make an amazing product even better. So, thank you again for keeping all of us up to date and moving forward on MQA. :heart:

CPP
January 12, 2017, 11:03 AM
Peter Lie,

Thank you and thank Lumin so much for all the hard work and diligence you are all displaying. Your efforts are sincerely appreciated, more than you know. Lumin manufacturers extremely fine and musical sounding players, adding MQA compatibility will make an amazing product even better. So, thank you again for keeping all of us up to date and moving forward on MQA. :heart:

This is one reason I'm holding out on adding another playerDac its' Lumin's attention and quick action. Not to mention my wife and I love the sound and the easy to operate app.

wklie
January 12, 2017, 09:41 PM
Our product manager decided to release this Lumin Roon firmware before it goes through the certification process. We'll initiate the certification process tomorrow.

Someone notified Roon Labs about this, and we were ordered to remove the firmware.

We will ship a unit for certification to Roon Labs today.

wklie
January 18, 2017, 10:19 AM
Status update:
- Beta firmware has already been made for all models of Lumin players and transport
- Roon Labs has received our unit and begun the certification process - however, I don't know how long it is going to take

Elem79
February 8, 2017, 09:30 PM
Status update:
- Beta firmware has already been made for all models of Lumin players and transport
- Roon Labs has received our unit and begun the certification process - however, I don't know how long it is going to take

Let me start by saying thank you for the continued support by Lumīn. However after listening for the better part of a month to Roon against the proprietary software on my Lumīn S1, I've come to the conclusion, in my opinion, the Lumīn software sounds best.

Roon just doesn't sound as engaging to me or as quiet as Lumīn. Roon sounds a little bloated and not as precise to me.

For reference I've run Roon on Windows 10 pro, windows sever R2, and finally Linux which sounded best by far, but still lags behind Lumin's on software. Again just my opinion.

wklie
February 8, 2017, 10:04 PM
Let me start by saying thank you for the continued support by Lumīn. However after listening for the better part of a month to Roon against the proprietary software on my Lumīn S1, I've come to the conclusion, in my opinion, the Lumīn software sounds best.

Thanks for the report. You're using the MC110CS fiber converter just before the Lumin S1, right?

Elem79
February 8, 2017, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the report. You're using the MC110CS fiber converter just before the Lumin S1, right?

Yes that is correct. I'm also streaming my content from a Synology 1515+. Also if it's of any consequence, my entire network is using Supra CAT 8 cable Ethernet.

wklie
February 23, 2017, 11:08 PM
Status update:
- Roon Labs and Lumin have been performing rigorous tests
- All performance, robustness and user experience issues have been resolved in the firmware

We still need to deal with a few things that are not related to firmware.

wklie
March 8, 2017, 03:33 AM
Firmware 8.01 is released.

Roon users please update Roon to Build 209 or later. The Roon app Build 209 should show up in a few days.

alto
March 8, 2017, 05:28 PM
Hi Peter, what does 8.01 do?

calloway
March 8, 2017, 06:09 PM
Peter..is there anything we need to do with the app to find Roon and use it.?..

wklie
March 8, 2017, 08:58 PM
Hi Peter, what does 8.01 do?

Support for Roon.

I personally think the best thing Roon has, in addition to its metadata hyperlinking, is the DSP feature which Lumin lacks, e.g. convolution (for room correction), equalizer, and more powerful resampling (e.g. Roon will convert >=DSD128 to PCM in real-time for Lumin DSD64-only A1 / T1 / D1)

wklie
March 8, 2017, 09:00 PM
Peter..is there anything we need to do with the app to find Roon and use it.?..

In Lumin app, please enable Lumin Streaming (default setting). We don't use Lumin app to find Roon, however. We use Roon app to find Lumin player(s).

Roon Core needs to be latest, or it may need to be restarted if it's already latest.

In Roon (app) audio setup, you'd see LUMIN as a Roon Ready device. Please enable it and assign a zone name.

calloway
March 8, 2017, 10:25 PM
Peter... this is just so cool.thanks for all you do...it works flawlessly!!!

rrwmd
March 9, 2017, 09:17 AM
Ha! Look at the cute little Lumin icon that's in the zone indicator at the bottom now.

http://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=18680&stc=1

still-one
March 9, 2017, 11:43 AM
Sorry for this basic question. I am currently running Roon with this drive Seagate - Backup Plus Slim for Mac 2TB External USB 3.0 Portable Hard containing some of my music files connected to my router. Looking at the specs for something like the Lumin S1 I am not sure if I can plug this directly into the unit and run Roon this way.

I see this information in the specs. USB storage, flash drive, USB hard disk (Single-partition FAT32, NTFS and EXT2/3 only)

wklie
March 9, 2017, 12:05 PM
If a USB HDD is directly connected to a Lumin player, and assuming it is in NTFS or FAT32 format, then it can be accessed via Lumin app but not via Roon.

To use Roon with a USB HDD, I guess it's best to connect the USB HDD to the computer that runs Roon Core, then specify Roon to watch the USB HDD for music as follows:
https://kb.roonlabs.com/Adding_Folders_Using_Path

If you are already running Roon with the USB HDD connected to the router, I assume your router exposes the USB HDD as a network share as SMB or something similar. Adding Lumin does not require changing your present Roon and USB HDD configuration if it's already working. You just need to enable the Lumin in Roon Audio Setup. (When playing this way, Roon Core retrieves the music file from the router USB HDD via network, then decodes the music data and sends it to Lumin via network using RAAT protocol.)

still-one
March 9, 2017, 12:21 PM
Peter
Thank you. I am looking for a additonal Roon endpoint that will handle DSD and all high Rez PCM content. The S1 might be a viable option and if MQA hardware decoding is added a winner.

wklie
March 10, 2017, 02:28 AM
For anyone who has already got Roon running with Lumin, it may be a worthwhile experiment to try out the Roon PCM->DSD upsampling - DSD128 for S1, DSD64 for A1 / T1 / D1. See if it sounds better or different or not. Please be aware that Roon by default applies -6dB for this conversion (-3dB in DSD Gain Adjustment and -3dB in Headroom Adjustment), which can be adjusted (note: watch the headroom management indicator if you do that).

https://community.roonlabs.com/uploads/default/optimized/2X/8/820f11dee0deee631de89babf4fc97f6ce37345b_1_690x241 .png

https://community.roonlabs.com/uploads/default/optimized/2X/b/b464931ef532822449a6d8238e1896536229d908_1_690x247 .png

For those who want to compare Roon upsampling with Lumin built-in upsampling, please note that after you adjust the Lumin app resampling settings, please play a music using Lumin app, before switching back to Roon, otherwise the changed resampling setting may not take effect.

wklie
March 10, 2017, 06:39 AM
The S1 might be a viable option and if MQA hardware decoding is added a winner.

Thanks for the consideration. Yes, we're working on MQA.

nonesup
March 17, 2017, 06:45 PM
Hi Peter.
For three days I have a trial version of Roon with the Core installed on a PC (without audio optimization), which connects to the same switch as the NAS. After a generic cable Cat 7 of about 8 meters arrives until the room where is the Switch Aqvox and of this, a cable of 1,5 meters until the Lumin. I am playing the same audio files, hosted on the NAS! Sometimes from Lumin application therefore using Minimserver / UPnP and others using Roon / RAAT. My question is this; When a file comes from Roon / RAAT and reaches the Lumin, it goes through the same digital circuits before reaching the DAC Wolfson, that when it arrives until the Lumin by Minimserver / UPnP?. I am very intested in the answer, because what I am hearing is very rare.

wklie
March 17, 2017, 10:36 PM
Audio data flow on the network:
- NAS MinimServer -> network switches -> Lumin
- NAS file system -> network switch - > Roon Core -> network switches -> Lumin

Within Lumin, the digital paths are not completely the same, but both are lossless bitperfect (unless user selects a resampling):
- With UPnP music it uses an HTTP download mechanism, goes through file type detection and file (e.g. FLAC) decoding, user-selected resampling (only if necessary), then on to PCM or DSD playback.
- With Roon it receives PCM or DSD via the RAAT SDK, goes through user-selected resampling (only if necessary), then on to PCM or DSD playback.

Do you find any SQ difference?

Beware that if you have Tidal in Roon, you may have duplicate albums from both Tidal and your own NAS - you need to be sure that you're streaming your own version to do a proper comparison.

calloway
March 19, 2017, 08:28 PM
question..I am playing my system using Roon now and it is superb. I am not sure, however, that i have it set up correctly. rrwmd ...in his post a few days ago showed a picture of his screen showing the Lumin name at the bottom of the screen shot with an icon of the player above it. in that same screen i have the lumin name noted but above mine is a small 'speaker'...is this correct..? also..when i push the blue dot, to the right of some of the tracks i am playing the algorithm ends at the bottom with 'apple airplay' ...is that correct..?..sorry if this is a beginners screw up..

wklie
March 19, 2017, 09:17 PM
Please go to Roon Audio Setup, find Lumin under "Networked roon ready" devices, enable it and assign it a zone name. Then find Lumin under "Airplay" and disable it.

wklie
March 19, 2017, 09:18 PM
If Lumin is playing as a Roon Ready device, it'll support Hi-res and DSD playback.

AirPlay (regardless of brand / model) will cause Roon to downsample playback of any music to 16/44.1.

calloway
March 19, 2017, 09:43 PM
Peter..thanks..i did what you suggested and pushed the 'disable' option and after that the 'airplay' section now says 'enabled'.....is this correct.?

audio.bill
March 19, 2017, 09:57 PM
Peter..thanks..i did what you suggested and pushed the 'disable' option and after that the 'airplay' section now says 'enabled'.....is this correct.?
That doesn't sound right, you want to disable AirPlay so that your Lumin is playing as a Roon Ready device supporting high-res files without downsampling for AirPlay.

calloway
March 19, 2017, 10:05 PM
that is why it is confusing..when i hit the gears and then touch the 'disable' indicator the Airplay/Lumin section then says 'Enabled'....not disabled'''??

calloway
March 19, 2017, 10:07 PM
In the Roon ready/Lumin A1 section is there supposed to be a red 'Uncertified' label.?

wklie
March 19, 2017, 10:30 PM
that is why it is confusing..when i hit the gears and then touch the 'disable' indicator the Airplay/Lumin section then says 'Enabled'....not disabled'''??

On the iPad I use, it says Enable not Enabled. Enable means "to enable this currently-disabled device". Yes it is confusing. :S

wklie
March 19, 2017, 10:32 PM
In the Roon ready/Lumin A1 section is there supposed to be a red 'Uncertified' label.?

We shipped a D1 for the certification process. It doesn't make sense for us to ship all models to certify, because many models run the same firmware binary. We're working with Roon Labs to clear up the certification display, but these things take time. Please do not worry about the red label.

calloway
March 19, 2017, 10:33 PM
WOW..that is confusing..thanks..it does say 'Enable'..not 'enabled'..great..thanks Peter..dave

wklie
March 20, 2017, 11:16 PM
I've talked to Roon Labs and they'll improve the setup flow for newly discovered Roon Ready devices in the future.

Elem79
March 25, 2017, 05:22 PM
Hi Peter.
For three days I have a trial version of Roon with the Core installed on a PC (without audio optimization), which connects to the same switch as the NAS. After a generic cable Cat 7 of about 8 meters arrives until the room where is the Switch Aqvox and of this, a cable of 1,5 meters until the Lumin. I am playing the same audio files, hosted on the NAS! Sometimes from Lumin application therefore using Minimserver / UPnP and others using Roon / RAAT. My question is this; When a file comes from Roon / RAAT and reaches the Lumin, it goes through the same digital circuits before reaching the DAC Wolfson, that when it arrives until the Lumin by Minimserver / UPnP?. I am very intested in the answer, because what I am hearing is very rare.

So whats the verdict on Roon for you? As Peter asked is there a sound difference you are hearing?

nonesup
March 25, 2017, 08:19 PM
Hi.
Since I sent that post, I have received my new Melco and a mini PC to have Roon core connected to the Aqvox switch. I am traveling for a few days, when I return and do a quiet listening, I will publish my impressions.

petercalv
March 28, 2017, 06:59 AM

Roon just doesn't sound as engaging to me or as quiet as Lumīn. Roon sounds a little bloated and not as precise to me.

For reference I've run Roon on Windows 10 pro, windows sever R2, and finally Linux which sounded best by far, but still lags behind Lumin's on software. Again just my opinion.

Hello,

For the past few days I have tried Roon on a dedicated Windows PC running Server R2. I have to say that I agree with Elem79, regarding comparisons between Roon and Lumin software. Although Roon recommend a dedicated QNAP NAS server, I would want some reassurance that this would sound better than my Lumin L1 with Kenneth Lau PSU.

I presume Lumin have done comparisons between a Roon NAS server and their own L1; it would be interesting to know their thoughts.

joeinid
March 28, 2017, 09:39 AM
Welcome to the forum Peter, thank you for joining.

wklie
March 28, 2017, 11:59 AM
Although Roon recommend a dedicated QNAP NAS server, I would want some reassurance that this would sound better than my Lumin L1 with Kenneth Lau PSU.
I presume Lumin have done comparisons between a Roon NAS server and their own L1; it would be interesting to know their thoughts.

If I'm not mistaken, I think Roon Labs is encouraging people to use Intel NUC running ROCK instead of NAS:
http://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit

Discussions about what hardware sounds best for running Roon:
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/sound-quality-not-as-good-as-other-programs/22674/75

This may come as a surprise, but SQ evaluation is not really part of my job. :lol: For Roon Ready certification, it is a requirement that devices playing from Roon give a sound quality equivalent to their native means of playback. Even if I were to hear anything different (I didn't), I would not be able to say it.

From a firmware point of view, it's the same lossless audio bits that go into the playback hardware. From a CPU and network processing point perspective, there is indeed higher CPU utilization and more network traffic when using Roon.

When comparing a high CPU power Roon server against L1 + LPS, the former is likely disadvantaged due to typically noisy PC power supply, considering that the NUC is probably not much more expensive than your LPS.

Roon Labs CTO says it'd be fine as long as you are "isolating it properly" - "Isolating audio gear from RFI/EMI is important regardless of anything else. This is why high quality power supplies and tools for filtering/isolating ethernet, USB, and line power make a difference."

I'm always interested in hearing users' thoughts regarding SQ.

petercalv
March 28, 2017, 03:30 PM
If I'm not mistaken, I think Roon Labs is encouraging people to use Intel NUC running ROCK instead of NAS:
http://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit

Discussions about what hardware sounds best for running Roon:
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/sound-quality-not-as-good-as-other-programs/22674/75

This may come as a surprise, but SQ evaluation is not really part of my job. :lol: For Roon Ready certification, it is a requirement that devices playing from Roon give a sound quality equivalent to their native means of playback. Even if I were to hear anything different (I didn't), I would not be able to say it.

From a firmware point of view, it's the same lossless audio bits that go into the playback hardware. From a CPU and network processing point perspective, there is indeed higher CPU utilization and more network traffic when using Roon.

When comparing a high CPU power Roon server against L1 + LPS, the former is likely disadvantaged due to typically noisy PC power supply, considering that the NUC is probably not much more expensive than your LPS.

Roon Labs CTO says it'd be fine as long as you are "isolating it properly" - "Isolating audio gear from RFI/EMI is important regardless of anything else. This is why high quality power supplies and tools for filtering/isolating ethernet, USB, and line power make a difference."

I'm always interested in hearing users' thoughts regarding SQ.

Thank you for this Peter. To elaborate more on the PC I used, it is part of a two PC system I used with JPlay as my playback software. It has separate HDPlex linear power supplies. JPlay was my reference playback software for quite some time until I heard a Lumin A1. I was so impressed I bought the S1.

wklie
April 12, 2017, 11:18 PM

With the latest Roon update, this is fixed.

nonesup
April 22, 2017, 11:30 AM
Hi Peter.
Do you know why Roon does not upsampling to 384 and 352.8 and only does it to 192 and 176.4, when Lumin can handle the higher frequencies?

wklie
April 29, 2017, 12:17 PM
That's a limitation with the current Lumin models (except U1).

(Just got back from vacation)

nonesup
May 17, 2017, 06:11 PM
Hi Peter.
1. If I understood Lumin well (except U1) they can accept PCM files 352.8 and 384 for UPnP but not for RAAT. I would be curious to know the reason, if you can explain it.

2. It has an approximate date, in which Lumin decodes the MQA files
Regards

wklie
May 17, 2017, 10:50 PM
I'm sorry but that's a hardware limitation, and I cannot provide a date for public firmware release - this is something out of our control and more work needs to be done by both MQA Ltd. and us. On a slightly positive note, Lumin is demoing S1 playing MQA at Munich, after receiving blessing from MQA Ltd. for S1 audio quality for MQA playback.

Lumin U1 also supports 352.8kHz and 384kHz, as long as the DAC is connected via USB and the DAC itself supports these sampling rates.

Jack
May 18, 2017, 12:21 AM
Peter

I assume you are aware the Auralic, one of the original MQA partners, has now released their own version of "MQA" decoding.

wklie
May 18, 2017, 02:12 AM
Yes, I'm aware of that. It's likely to be its own upsampling tuned for MQA music, since they claim that "This process is not an MQA-created or MQA-licensed process" in their firmware release notes. They were indeed the original partner, but then this happened:
https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/27958-hi-res-audio-streaming-on-the-way-how-many-of-us-couldl-miss-out-because-of-lack-of-mqa-or-similar-technology-capable-dacs/?do=findComment&comment=555554

wklie
June 12, 2017, 12:48 AM
For those who are using Roon, please upgrade Roon Core to Build 234, and Lumin to Firmware 8.04. The new Lumin firmware contains optimizations for Roon Build 234, and may possibly improve SQ.

Feedback on SQ for this upgrade is much appreciated. Thanks.

erniejade
June 12, 2017, 03:16 PM
If we are not Roon users, would we hear a SQ difference?

calloway
June 12, 2017, 07:38 PM
peter..where do you upgrade to 8.04..i only see the 8.02..

wklie
June 12, 2017, 09:21 PM
If we are not Roon users, would we hear a SQ difference?

No. For Roon playback only.

wklie
June 12, 2017, 09:22 PM
peter..where do you upgrade to 8.04..i only see the 8.02..

Please kill the Lumin app and run it again.

calloway
June 12, 2017, 09:25 PM
Peter...'kill the Lumin app and run it again'....not sure I understand?

wklie
June 12, 2017, 09:38 PM
If Lumin app does not prompt you to firmware upgrade, double click the iPad Home button, swipe away the Lumin app to kill it. Then launch Lumin app.

calloway
June 12, 2017, 10:03 PM
Peter..it still says 8.02 in the firmware section

siuwang
June 12, 2017, 10:32 PM
Peter..it still says 8.02 in the firmware section

Make sure "Check for firmware updates" set to YES

lumin app
gear icon ->options

calloway
June 14, 2017, 12:00 AM
Peter..it is set to 'yes' on check for firmware. Still says 8.02...

wklie
June 14, 2017, 02:12 AM
Have you killed the app and restarted the app as post #85?

calloway
June 14, 2017, 07:42 AM
Peter. Yes. I double clicked the home button and flipped the page away and restarted the app.. i.e. I then restarted the app by tapping it open. The firmware indicator still says 8.02... dave

wklie
June 14, 2017, 10:55 AM
Please:
1. Power cycle the Lumin A1
2. Reboot the iPad
3. Use iPad and browse www.luminmusic.com to make sure it is accessible to your setup
4. Launch Lumin app
5. Normally the app should prompt you to upgrade

calloway
June 14, 2017, 06:53 PM
Peter...that worked. Thanks a lot..dave

calloway
June 17, 2017, 02:03 PM
Music,to me,sounds better through the Lumin app than through the Roon app. Roon seems to somehow slightly soften the presentation.