PDA

View Full Version : Sticker Shock

ACHiPo
July 25, 2016, 11:59 PM
I'm looking for a replacement for my beloved (and smoked) Jeff Rowland Consummate Line and Phono Stage, and it seems I need to drop north of $10k for just a phono stage of comparable performance. I paid about $3k for the Consummate combo, which seemed like a lot, only to have it go up in smoke.

I'm checking out the used ads, but finding a reference-quality phono stage with at least 2 inputs is hard and expensive!

Of course additional ICs for multiple phono stages aren't cheap, either.

Just venting, I guess, but while I have more disposable income than ever before, I am struggling to pay with what companies are charging for components.

joeinid
July 26, 2016, 12:28 AM
I had the Jeff Rowland Consummate back in the day and it was wonderful. I know how you feel. Sorry.

Shadowfax
July 26, 2016, 07:40 AM
Bummer on the loss of a loved component. I always loved the looks of JR gear being a Toolmaker. I also liked the sound.

I just was looking at a few used Continuum S2s on the market. Seems reasonable in the $6k-$7k used range. How does this unit stack up against say Pass or Hegel integrateds?

What about the newly designed Phono Stage available in the S2?

jadedavid
July 26, 2016, 07:47 AM
ACHiPo, can't your unit be repaired? Seems like that would solve the problem in a financially reasonable way. And perhaps get some updates included.

ACHiPo
July 26, 2016, 08:59 AM
ACHiPo, can't your unit be repaired? Seems like that would solve the problem in a financially reasonable way. And perhaps get some updates included.
The power supply and phono stage are both smoked. It's possible Jeff or someone else can repair them, but it's also possible the modules are damaged, in which case they're FUBAR. Jeff was busy when they blew, then I put together my current rig of a Parasound JC2 and Ray Samuels X10B phono stage. I still have the intention to get them repaired. I'll try contacting Jeff again to see if he can take a look at them.

I'd planned on adding a balanced tonearm cable plus a single ended on the Consummate before it smoked, reaching around the back to switch between the two. Of course I've since migrated a bit in my analog set up, taking advantage of the 3 inputs on the Ray Samuels X10B phono stage, so I've been looking for reference-quality phono stages with at least 2 inputs, further reducing the selection and increasing the price.

Thanks for the sympathy and empathy. It's definitely a first-world problem, but just struck me last night that at times it feels like I'm still back in college with champagne taste on a beer budget, even though I can afford really good beer!;)

RedSectorA
July 26, 2016, 03:02 PM
ACHIPo,

I understand your predicament. Audia Flight has one excellent phono preamp which compared very favourably to preamps way above it's price point at a $6,100 retail price. It has two inputs:

http://www.audia.it/products_new.php?codpro=5

One used unit on The 'Gon

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/phono-audia-flight-phono-perfect-and-gorgeous-2016-07-16-preamplifiers-77494-park-row-tx

Hope this helps,

ACHiPo
July 26, 2016, 07:45 PM
ACHIPo,

I understand your predicament. Audia Flight has one excellent phono preamp which compared very favourably to preamps way above it's price point at a $6,100 retail price. It has two inputs:

http://www.audia.it/products_new.php?codpro=5

One used unit on The 'Gon

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/phono-audia-flight-phono-perfect-and-gorgeous-2016-07-16-preamplifiers-77494-park-row-tx

Hope this helps,
Interesting. This hasn't hit my radar before now. I'm wondering how it would compare to my current Ray Samuels X10B that has 3 inputs? It's in a similar price range (the Samuels lists for $5k). I'll check out the reviews when I get a minute. Thanks!

ACHiPo
July 27, 2016, 12:06 AM
Sent Jeff an email today. Hopefully he'll have bandwidth to take a look at them.

ACHiPo
July 29, 2016, 10:07 PM
Duplicate

ACHiPo
July 29, 2016, 10:19 PM
Heard back from Rowland and have an RMA number so they can check things out.

I also stopped by the local analog shop at lunch and listened to their top of the line phono stage (tubed, and it will remain nameless for the time being), and it sounded good. Really good. But it had "noise" comparable to my system, and my system sounds as good or better, but then again I was listening to Harbeth monitors (great speakers, but much different than my Kef Reference 207/2s). It has me thinking--3 inputs, and glorious bloom from the tubes, which I suspect will sound even better in my system--but it also has me pretty satisfied listening to this new aquisition:http://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=16822&stc=1

Amazed I don't have more Zoot Simms in my collection, as he absolutely swings, as does Jerry Lloyd and the rest of the band!

ACHiPo
August 4, 2016, 07:41 PM
All three boxes arrived in Colorado Springs :congrats: Hopefully Dr. Rowland and his team will be able to resuscitate them.

Meanwhile I'm picking up a used Wavestream Kinetics phono stage to demo on Saturday, and eagerly awaiting the first impressions from Mike on the new VAC Renaissance phono stage.

RedSectorA
August 4, 2016, 08:46 PM
All three boxes arrived in Colorado Springs :congrats: Hopefully Dr. Rowland and his team will be able to resuscitate them.

Meanwhile I'm picking up a used Wavestream Kinetics phono stage to demo on Saturday, and eagerly awaiting the first impressions from Mike on the new VAC Renaissance phono stage.
Wavestream Kinetic, that's apparently no slouch. I was interested in one a few years back but couldn't find a place to listen to it. Multiple EQS, more than one input. Very nice catch if you can find one used. Keep us posted

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

ACHiPo
August 4, 2016, 11:06 PM
Wavestream Kinetic, that's apparently no slouch. I was interested in one a few years back but couldn't find a place to listen to it. Multiple EQS, more than one input. Very nice catch if you can find one used. Keep us posted

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Red,
They're built locally (Bay Area, CA), and the owner also owns a nice little shop in Campbell, CA full of all kinds of tempting vinyl stuff aptly named "The Analog Room". I listened to the archival version with multiple equalization options and liked the sound. The shop has a trade-in of the standard 3 input version which is perfect for my needs if it's quiet enough in my system. Will keep you posted.

Best,
AC

Albert
August 5, 2016, 09:39 AM
My Consummate preamp and phono also just went out, is there something in the air? The left channel has distortion if I play it moderately loud. I have swapped cables and amps and it is always the left channel so it is definitely the preamp. I haven't tested just the phono and power supply to narrow it down to the preamp section as I substituted a spare ARC PH3 for them which works well but the soundstage isn't the same. This could be due to the other preamp I am using as well, a Threshold T3.

I luckily have a spare module for the preamp that I will have to try before I contact Jeff Rowland for repairs. Maybe I'll get lucky. Good luck with yours and keep us posted. I am very interested in your result.

ACHiPo
August 6, 2016, 12:16 AM
My Consummate preamp and phono also just went out, is there something in the air? The left channel has distortion if I play it moderately loud. I have swapped cables and amps and it is always the left channel so it is definitely the preamp. I haven't tested just the phono and power supply to narrow it down to the preamp section as I substituted a spare ARC PH3 for them which works well but the soundstage isn't the same. This could be due to the other preamp I am using as well, a Threshold T3.

I luckily have a spare module for the preamp that I will have to try before I contact Jeff Rowland for repairs. Maybe I'll get lucky. Good luck with yours and keep us posted. I am very interested in your result.
Albert,
I hope it's just coincidence--my Consummate is approaching 20 years old, so it's had a pretty long and full life, yet I'd like to get a few more years out of her yet.

Meanwhile I picked this up this afternoon and it's making pretty sweet sounds at the moment...
http://www.audioshark.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=16871&stc=1

I need to perform surgery on my rack, though, or at least swap around components--there's a back brace that keeps the Wavestream from being able to slide back to the wall. It's 18" deep not counting the knobs. Has a really nice feel and sound though.