Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Saint Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    190

    Luxman L-590aX Integrated Amp

    Hello all!

    I haven't posted much here yet but I have been following various threads and have been taking note of the speaker or amp adventures certain members have been on. I think I'm at the end of my most recent journey and will probably be done for a while. I don't want to miss out on the fun though so I better post up a little blurb about my Luxman 590aX and the journey it took to get there before it becomes old news.

    It started with the purchase of my Revel Studio 2s. At the time I was using a Simaudio I7 integrated amplifier. This was actually quite a satisfying combination and truth be told, I probably should've never left this setup. But (as I can imagine similar for many of you) internet forums got me into trouble and I couldn't ignore the buzz about the Ncore amps from Hypex. I would simply sell my integrated and upgrade to these newfangled amplifiers and recoup some of the money I had spent on the Revels in the process. Needless to say the rest WASN'T history and I was back in search. After auditioning and owning several combinations over the course of a year and a half I decided to take a risk and order the Luxman sight unseen as I had their 507u in my system for a while and had a hunch that it would be just what I was looking for. I got lucky and the 590 has met all my expectations. It exhibits an excellent synergy with the Revels evidenced by that telltale sign of music flowing effortlessly from them and filling the room with ease. The Luxman is full and rich lending instruments greater body and truer, more natural timbres. One thing that I really felt was lacking with some of the amplifiers that I had in my system was the quality of sustain, especially in the bass. Many amplifiers seem to curtail the bass of the Revels, sounding more incisive but less natural and complete. The 590 seems to strike an excellent balance for my system in that regard.

    I should note that while it isn't a macro-dynamic champ it is still very good on crescendos and I've
    never felt that I needed more power. I could see this being an issue for me if I had a significantly larger room, but for now I do not usually find myself running the amp hard (per the meters). The Revels by the way are 89db/watt and the Luxman has been measured to put out 78 watts into 8ohms and 148 into 4. (Those numbers are from memory but if not absolutely correct then they should be at least very close.)

    Over all the unit is musically satisfying for my eclectic music tastes, beautiful, well-built and has a nice phono stage for my entry level analog setup. So while I think I would've remained happy had I never sold my Simaudio unit, saving me a year and a half of searching not to mention a considerable amount of money, I do feel that nonetheless I have made a worthwhile upgrade and have a system I'm set to enjoy for a while.

    Anyhow, my real name is Warren and I'm from the Twin Cities area in Minnesota. If you guys have any questions please ask. Also I'll post up some pics because that's really what you want to see right?




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Living Room System: Mac Mini > PS Audio PWD MKII/ Marantz TT-15 Turntable w/ Ortofon Cadenza Bronze> Ayre P5xe> Primaluna Dialogue Premium w/KT150s> Klipsch Forte III

  2. #2

    Re: Luxman L-590aX Integrated Amp

    Warren, thanks for sharing. From the Luxman gear in the range that I have heard it looks & sounds terrific.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    17,494

    Re: Luxman L-590aX Integrated Amp

    Awesome story Warren. I've owned Studio2's and have wanted the Salon2's but that's another story. I am so happy you are loving the Luxman and Studio2 combo. These are two solid brands that will never disappoint. I think you can post photos after 10 posts. We look forward to seeing the goods

    Thanks!
    Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Avantgarde Duo XD, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

    Luxman 590AX Mark II, Job INTegrated.

    Conrad Johnson GAT2, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2, Misho Myronov Wooden pre.

    Misho Myronov Wooden amp, First Watt SIT-3 (x 2 - one as backup), First Watt F7, Job 250 Monos, Valvet E2se, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

    RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, Audio Mirror Tubadour III NOS R2R Tube Dac w/ SE upgrades.

    Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

  4. #4

    Re: Luxman L-590aX Integrated Amp

    Quote Originally Posted by nile49 View Post
    Hello all!

    I haven't posted much here yet but I have been following various threads and have been taking note of the speaker or amp adventures certain members have been on. I think I'm at the end of my most recent journey and will probably be done for a while. I don't want to miss out on the fun though so I better post up a little blurb about my Luxman 590aX and the journey it took to get there before it becomes old news.

    It started with the purchase of my Revel Studio 2s. At the time I was using a Simaudio I7 integrated amplifier. This was actually quite a satisfying combination and truth be told, I probably should've never left this setup. But (as I can imagine similar for many of you) internet forums got me into trouble and I couldn't ignore the buzz about the Ncore amps from Hypex. I would simply sell my integrated and upgrade to these newfangled amplifiers and recoup some of the money I had spent on the Revels in the process. Needless to say the rest WASN'T history and I was back in search. After auditioning and owning several combinations over the course of a year and a half I decided to take a risk and order the Luxman sight unseen as I had their 507u in my system for a while and had a hunch that it would be just what I was looking for. I got lucky and the 590 has met all my expectations. It exhibits an excellent synergy with the Revels evidenced by that telltale sign of music flowing effortlessly from them and filling the room with ease. The Luxman is full and rich lending instruments greater body and truer, more natural timbres. One thing that I really felt was lacking with some of the amplifiers that I had in my system was the quality of sustain, especially in the bass. Many amplifiers seem to curtail the bass of the Revels, sounding more incisive but less natural and complete. The 590 seems to strike an excellent balance for my system in that regard.

    I should note that while it isn't a macro-dynamic champ it is still very good on crescendos and I've
    never felt that I needed more power. I could see this being an issue for me if I had a significantly larger room, but for now I do not usually find myself running the amp hard (per the meters). The Revels by the way are 89db/watt and the Luxman has been measured to put out 78 watts into 8ohms and 148 into 4. (Those numbers are from memory but if not absolutely correct then they should be at least very close.)

    Over all the unit is musically satisfying for my eclectic music tastes, beautiful, well-built and has a nice phono stage for my entry level analog setup. So while I think I would've remained happy had I never sold my Simaudio unit, saving me a year and a half of searching not to mention a considerable amount of money, I do feel that nonetheless I have made a worthwhile upgrade and have a system I'm set to enjoy for a while.

    Anyhow, my real name is Warren and I'm from the Twin Cities area in Minnesota. If you guys have any questions please ask. Also I'll post up some pics because that's really what you want to see right?




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed reading it. Luxman L-590aX Integrated Amp

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Saint Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    190

    Re: Luxman L-590aX Integrated Amp

    Pictures galore!






    Attached Images Attached Images
    Living Room System: Mac Mini > PS Audio PWD MKII/ Marantz TT-15 Turntable w/ Ortofon Cadenza Bronze> Ayre P5xe> Primaluna Dialogue Premium w/KT150s> Klipsch Forte III

  6. #6

    Re: Luxman L-590aX Integrated Amp

    Very nice. Thanks for sharing.
    What is that thing putting out all kinds of laser beams? I'd love to get myself one of those.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    17,494

    Re: Luxman L-590aX Integrated Amp

    +1

    Awesome photos. Thanks !!!

    Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    Very nice. Thanks for sharing.
    What is that thing putting out all kinds of laser beams? I'd love to get myself one of those.
    Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Avantgarde Duo XD, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

    Luxman 590AX Mark II, Job INTegrated.

    Conrad Johnson GAT2, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2, Misho Myronov Wooden pre.

    Misho Myronov Wooden amp, First Watt SIT-3 (x 2 - one as backup), First Watt F7, Job 250 Monos, Valvet E2se, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

    RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, Audio Mirror Tubadour III NOS R2R Tube Dac w/ SE upgrades.

    Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Saint Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    190

    Re: Luxman L-590aX Integrated Amp

    Thanks guys!

    That fun little tool is the Bosch 3-plane alignment laser.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Living Room System: Mac Mini > PS Audio PWD MKII/ Marantz TT-15 Turntable w/ Ortofon Cadenza Bronze> Ayre P5xe> Primaluna Dialogue Premium w/KT150s> Klipsch Forte III

  9. #9
    Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Lake Country, Georgia
    Posts
    4,206

    Re: Luxman L-590aX Integrated Amp

    Thanks Warren! And congrats on a great system

    I grew up in St.Cloud and Brooklyn Center. The Twin Cities are a fantastic place to live !!

    Except for the winters.................
    Mark

    _________________
    Pass Labs X350.8 Stereo amplifier
    Classe' CP 800 preamp
    Revel Ultima Salon 2's.....again !
    REL S2 Subwoofers
    Lumin A1 Network Streamer
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Klaudio Ultrasonic record cleaner
    Kimber Select 6063 speaker cables
    Kimber Select 1116 XLR IC's
    Shunyata Cobra Zi-tron,and Ansuz Ceramic power cords,
    Ansuz Mainz D8 power distributer

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Riverview FL
    Posts
    23

    Re: Luxman L-590aX Integrated Amp

    nile49
    Nice system bet it sounds great.
    I just happened to get a 590ax myself and so far think it the best amp I have ever owned. Mine might be broken though, I can't seem to get it to shoot the laser beams
    Don't have enough posts to insert images
    Attached Images Attached Images

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Saint Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    190

    Re: Luxman L-590aX Integrated Amp

    Quote Originally Posted by BeerCan View Post

    I just happened to get a 590ax myself and so far think it the best amp I have ever owned. Mine might be broken though, I can't seem to get it to shoot the laser beams
    (
    Thanks Beercan!

    I'm definitely continuing to learn about the Luxman's abilities. It already has me imagining the performance gains I could reap with source upgrades. And as well as I can remember this is the best system I've ever put together.

    Right now I'm agonizing over footers for under my speaker on a carpet over concrete floor and am trying to find the most neutral solution. May start a new thread regarding that endeavor.

    Cheers! Luxman L-590aX Integrated Amp


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Living Room System: Mac Mini > PS Audio PWD MKII/ Marantz TT-15 Turntable w/ Ortofon Cadenza Bronze> Ayre P5xe> Primaluna Dialogue Premium w/KT150s> Klipsch Forte III

  12. #12

    Re: Luxman L-590aX Integrated Amp

    Quote Originally Posted by nile49 View Post
    Thanks Beercan!

    I'm definitely continuing to learn about the Luxman's abilities. It already has me imagining the performance gains I could reap with source upgrades. And as well as I can remember this is the best system I've ever put together.

    Right now I'm agonizing over footers for under my speaker on a carpet over concrete floor and am trying to find the most neutral solution. May start a new thread regarding that endeavor.

    Cheers! Luxman L-590aX Integrated Amp



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The most neutral that I have come across that actually bring benefits are Stillpoints Ultra 5's. If the cost is a limiting factor go for the Ultra SS's & when you want to upgrade, put them under an amp & put the new 5's or 6's under the speakers.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Saint Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    190

    Re: Luxman L-590aX Integrated Amp

    Quote Originally Posted by bzr View Post
    The most neutral that I have come across that actually bring benefits are Stillpoints Ultra 5's. If the cost is a limiting factor go for the Ultra SS's & when you want to upgrade, put them under an amp & put the new 5's or 6's under the speakers.
    I've actually had the Ultra SSs going on two years now and while I like them, I wouldn't necessarily say they are a slam dunk in my system.

    I have heard that the Ultra 5s are definitely better and more neutral as well, however there is no way I can swing that $5600 investment.

    Stillpoints just introduced spikes for their Ultra SS's to use in lieu of the hardhats and I think I will try those out first. I'm thinking that those stand a good chance of being excellent in my system.

    The Ultra 6s are definitely an interesting development as well, and from what I have read are actually NOT intended for use under speakers.

    Thanks! Warren


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Living Room System: Mac Mini > PS Audio PWD MKII/ Marantz TT-15 Turntable w/ Ortofon Cadenza Bronze> Ayre P5xe> Primaluna Dialogue Premium w/KT150s> Klipsch Forte III

  14. #14

    Re: Luxman L-590aX Integrated Amp

    Just answered your own question Warren, well done.

  15. #15

    Re: Luxman L-590aX Integrated Amp

    I love what you've done. Simple, clean, I bet a million it plays the crap outta music. Congrats on a fine system. There's something so Japanese garden about that gear--very cool.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    birmingham uk
    Posts
    533

    Re: Luxman L-590aX Integrated Amp

    this is one amp I would like to try one day amongst others
    1]bel canto pre 3 vbs ice power amps . rotel cd , modright modded jolida dac 2] tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 3vbs BC ref 500s black ice modded dac , marantz sa8005, reference fidelity impulse Ta`us horns

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Luxman L-590aX Integrated Amp

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •