Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Network switch, FMC, cable upgrades worthwhile when router can't be co-located?

Hi All,

Long-time lurker first post here, have very much appreciated all of the great discussion.

I'm looking to add high-quality internet streaming to my predominantly vinyl and spinning disc digital 2-channel system. After much skepticism I've come around on the potential SQ impact of quality network switches, FMC, cabling etc. I'd like to upgrade appropriately.

But my home is arranged such that the ISP router can only be located in an equipment room that is separated from the listening area by approximately 250 feet of cat5e in-wall cabling.

Given these limitations to the source network signal, is there any gain to be had from upgrading cabling, switches etc starting from the wall jack in my listening room?

If of interest, the primary options I'm considering are a dCS Bartok, MSB Premiere+Renderer, or an Innuos Zenith MK3 feeding either an ADI-2 DAC or the DAC built in to my McIntosh MCD500.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Audioshark

Re: Network switch, FMC, cable upgrades worthwhile when router can't be co-located?

Hello and welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: Network switch, FMC, cable upgrades worthwhile when router can't be co-located?

Data signals are 1's and 0's. It either works or doesn't.

I upgraded to a faster gaming router and switch just to offset any potential delays in streaming high res files from my NAS. But networking equipment isn't going to improve the sound.

I was a Cisco network certified administrator and designer in college. Just didn't follow that career path.

Preamp/Digital: Meitner MA3
    HT Processor: Bryston SP3
    Amps: Bryston 14b3, Bryston 4b3
    Speakers: Kef Reference 5, Kef Reference 4c
    Sub: REL Carbon Special
    Power: Shunyata Denali, Bryston BIT15
    Wires: Wireworld Silver Eclipse XLR & SC, Ethernet - WW Platinum USB
    Other: Stillpoint Ultra SS, ISO-Acoustics ISO Pucks

-Kyle

I’ve answered this question Lots of times as it comes up a lot. I’m not blaming you lol. You need a network extender which has WiFi capability to link to your router ie Ariels like your router. Then it has Ethernet sockets too. So you connect your streamer to it like it’s your router and you can put it with your HiFi. In that sense the extender works like a lan without all the cabling and it will be as fast as your internet if you get a half decent one. I use net gear nighthawk. Avoid switches if you can as they inject Hf noise from their cheap power supplies. Use a good quality short Ethernet cable from your extender and job done. I’ve reviewed the Bartok, Zenith albeit mk2 which I own and I have an Adi2 dac fs at the moment. Check my website out.

Quote Originally Posted by Phishphan View Post

I upgraded to a faster gaming router and switch just to offset any potential delays in streaming high res files from my NAS. But networking equipment isn't going to improve the sound.

I was a Cisco network certified administrator and designer in college. Just didn't follow that career path.

it will because of the analogue effects of noise on the digital cable and if you use rubbish NAS drives with cheap switchers built for PCs and it degrades the sound. Not a lot or at all in some budget systems but a good amount in others.

How about bypassing all the cat 5 ethernet cable and use fmcs and fiber to connect from your router to listening room?

You might want to peruse this thread at What's Best Forum. It has some good information. https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threa...-modems.30094/
    Source: Taiko Audio Server, Cisco 2960 Switch, Gigafoil, Lampizator Pacific Dac. Amp: Bakoon 13r Speakers: AvantGarde Duo Mezzo XD, Cables: Alan Maher Designs Power, Duelund Speaker, Shunyata Sigma IC's Audioquest Diamond ethernet. Room Treatment Vicoustic.

Quote Originally Posted by Willco View Post
    How about bypassing all the cat 5 ethernet cable and use fmcs and fiber to connect from your router to listening room?

You might want to peruse this thread at What's Best Forum. It has some good information. https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threa...-modems.30094/
    very complex, the extender idea can be done cheaply and adequately for purpose. I’ve run all sorts of digital streaming DACs and servers off mine no probs. Don’t need messy power line, installing ducts and messing about. Original reason I got mine was to avoid drilling through walls.

Not true. First, digital signals are transmitted as an analog signal. As the analog signal to digital signal is reconstructed by any gear in the path the rise and fall time can be skewed. This doesn’t affect data, but puts jitter into musical data.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Not true. First, digital signals are transmitted as an analog signal. As the analog signal to digital signal is reconstructed by any gear in the path the rise and fall time can be skewed. This doesn’t affect data, but puts jitter into musical data.
    Here is a technical explanation on why even if digital signals are being transmitted as analog in the end it does not really matter. Blog post also explains why jitter is really not a big issue when using modern digital equipment.

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2019/0...-lets-not.html

Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    Here is a technical explanation on why even if digital signals are being transmitted as analog in the end it does not really matter. Blog post also explains why jitter is really not a big issue when using modern digital equipment.

http://archimago.blogspot.com/2019/0...-lets-not.html
    nobody who knows anything about HiFi believes that guy. Blue fox dead right here.

Try it yourself. Find some money back guarantee options.

Quote Originally Posted by 13th Note HiFi Reviews View Post
    nobody who knows anything about HiFi believes that guy. Blue fox dead right here.
    Let me guess... You must be a reviewer or somebody in the business...

just my thinking: a file on my pc downloaded from the internet is the same file stored on the original server. It is data. That data is transported from all servers over the world, it crosses the ocean, transported by a few servers, before it reaches my house. And then it still has to pass the first ISP modem, a second router and lastly the final accesspoint on which my network player is connected. In that whole chain of data transformers, I have no idea on which device to start changing. my modem is delivered by the ISP, so there is no way to change that. It is brand X and you have to use it. What to change, router or AP, , while my modem is a fixed item brand X. in my opinion, I cannot change all the internet in my own home, not to talk about every individual server outside. Is there an easier solution to bypass the whole problem of the chain of all servers? Store the original data file on my own SSD harddisc in my own house. which is located after the last switch, stored on a Roon main server. Is it an idea to have downloaded first the file with Tidal or Qobuz, store it to your Roon server, and when listening the sound is delivered instantly from your Roon server, instead of setting up a stream? In my opinion the file on the Roon server is the same as on the original server, so no need for complicated switches. Or do I miss something crucial here?

Quote Originally Posted by Alkyogre View Post
    just my thinking: a file on my pc downloaded from the internet is the same file stored on the original server. It is data. That data is transported from all servers over the world, it crosses the ocean, transported by a few servers, before it reaches my house. And then it still has to pass the first ISP modem, a second router and lastly the final accesspoint on which my network player is connected. In that whole chain of data transformers, I have no idea on which device to start changing. my modem is delivered by the ISP, so there is no way to change that. It is brand X and you have to use it. What to change, router or AP, , while my modem is a fixed item brand X. in my opinion, I cannot change all the internet in my own home, not to talk about every individual server outside. Is there an easier solution to bypass the whole problem of the chain of all servers? Store the original data file on my own SSD harddisc in my own house. which is located after the last switch, stored on a Roon main server. Is it an idea to have downloaded first the file with Tidal or Qobuz, store it to your Roon server, and when listening the sound is delivered instantly from your Roon server, instead of setting up a stream? In my opinion the file on the Roon server is the same as on the original server, so no need for complicated switches. Or do I miss something crucial here?
    Yes, you’re just talking. Try it yourself and then come back here.

Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    Yes, you’re just talking. Try it yourself and then come back here.
    What do you think? why is a switch causing jitter in a buffered audio file and is a special audio switch better in reducing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Alkyogre View Post
    What do you think? why is a switch causing jitter in a buffered audio file and is a special audio switch better in reducing it?
    There’s plenty you can read online that I need not add anything. If you’re looking for someone to argue with, trying it yourself in your system should be the prerequisite.

Not true, and very easy to demonstrate so. Run 1080P video (i.e. a data signal) over 10m+ HDMI and you might get a crystal clear image, or you might get sparkle artifacts of various degrees. The end result depends on the quality of the cable. Same 1's and 0's going into the source end of the cable.

Quote Originally Posted by brodricj View Post
    Not true, and very easy to demonstrate so. Run 1080P video (i.e. a data signal) over 10m+ HDMI and you might get a crystal clear image, or you might get sparkle artifacts of various degrees. The end result depends on the quality of the cable. Same 1's and 0's going into the source end of the cable.
    If you see sparkles or artifacts all that is telling you is that the cable is bad. This has nothing to do with price.

A well performing (i.e., no artifacts) HDMI cable can be an inexpensive cable (monoprice, blue jeans cable, Amazon basics) or it can also be an expensive one.

Let me add that when HDMI cables are too long, you may need to run an active HDMI cable.

I didn't mention price as being a determining factor. The point was, it was said they are 1's and 0's going in one end and coming out the other. If so, why do some cables result in artifacts? When you end up with different quality images, some with artifacts, some without, tells you what's coming out the end of the cable are not identical 1's and 0's.

Quote Originally Posted by brodricj View Post
    I didn't mention price as being a determining factor. The point was, it was said they are 1's and 0's going in one end and coming out the other. If so, why do some cables result in artifacts? When you end up with different quality images, some with artifacts, some without, tells you what's coming out the end of the cable are not identical 1's and 0's.
    Why do some cables result in artifacts?

Several reasons. One is that HDMI specifications have changed over the years. An old HDMI cable built to standards from ten years ago will not be able to pass 4K signals today. You need HDMI Certified Premium cables to pass 4K signals. I had HDMI 1.0 cables in my wall that I just recently had to replace them because of it. They showed artifacts and freezing of the frame.

Another reason is bad quality construction of the cable. There are cheap and pricey HDMI cables that when tested do not meet the required specifications.

We both agree that the price of the cable has nothing to do with it.

Do you have coaxial cable coming in to you home? Can you get that directly into your audio equipment location.
    If so, look at an ActionTec ECB2500C Bonded MoCA 2.0 Coax to Ethernet adapter.

I only had coax that runs directly from the LNT box on the outside of the house. I really didn't want to convert the signal in the Frontier Router and run the signal via ethernet to my room.

The ActionTec is connected to a modified NetGear network switch that is local to my music room equipment.

This is not to say that when I use my iPad to control my music the router is not involved with the task. Just a direct connection between storage and player exists through the local switch.

If I didn't understand your issue, sorry.
    Synology 1019D+ - SGC Sonictransporter I9 w Roon/HQ Player- UltraRendu- PBD Stream IF to Playback Designs MPS5 via fiber optic - ARC 40th Anniversary Pre - ARC 610 T's - Martin Logan CLX's - 4 Martin Logan Depth i Subs - Shunyata Hydra, DIY PCOCC interconnects, speaker cables and power cords with Furutech terminations. Blue Jeans CAT 6's. Acoustically treated room with one permanent chair.

One of the best dedicated for audio switch - Silent Angel Bonn N8

On market You can find licensed version of Bonn8 interiors - Omnia SW-8 produced by NuPrime (aluminum chassis and low noise power supply).
    Marcin

Its performance is measured here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...-switch.12360/

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Kars View Post
    The reviewer concluded:

“Measurements conclusively prove what I explain above. That the Ethernet switch makes zero difference in the performance of a decent streamer.”

I suggest listening and after that make conclusions, not before or just after lecture of someone else "poem". And remember - "Writing about Music Is like Dancing about Architecture" ;-)

Marcin

As with many discussions around this topic (digital content streaming), there is conflicting info here.

I've spent the last year researching, testing and implementing a robust "streaming" digital front end. By streaming I'm referring to digital music files resident on a hard drive attached to a music server or content provided via a streaming service, e.g. Qobuz, Tidal, etc.

The result and attendant conclusions I've come to is: EVERYTHING matters and is audible.

1) It's not just 1s and 0s. The data is transmitted as an analog square wave voltage and is as just such susceptible to the impacts of noise, e.g. RF and EMI, as any other analog signal from a music source (e.g. phono stage, tape deck, disc player, etc., etc.)

2) Digital sources, while the data is in a "fully digital" domain (i.e., there not yet been an D/A conversion) is also particularly susceptible to ground plane noise, common mode noise, clock phase noise, and jitter.

3) Digital sources and "data in the fully digital domain" are also particularly susceptible to high-source impedance leakage current. This leakage current is very hard to detect and test for, and requires bespoke test equipment. It was only discovered in Q4, 2017. The problem with high-source impedance leakage current is that has a significant impact on clock phase noise, which is audible.

The bottom line here is that virtually everything in the digital streaming domain e.g. NAS, fiber media convertors, Ethernet switches, routers, music servers, and their power supplies and cables have an impact on the audio quality of playback from a digital streaming "front end". This includes USB cables, copper Ethernet cables, and the power supplies for these devices and their AC power cords.

Other sources of problems are switch-mode power supplies, the cheap-assed clocks in "consumer-grade" digital devices (e.g. router, switches, and FMCs, etc), and Ethernet cables.

Optical fiber has a big advantage over copper Ethernet for longer runs as it will not pass high-source impedance leakage current. More on the next post.

More later where I will provide some references for review and component and cable recommendations.

Meantime, please read this white paper by John Swenson: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/06...f?v=1583429386

Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    As with many discussions around this topic (digital content streaming), there is conflicting info here.

I've spent the last year researching, testing and implementing a robust "streaming" digital front end. By streaming I'm referring to digital music files resident on a hard drive attached to a music server or content provided via a streaming service, e.g. Qobuz, Tidal, etc.

The result and attendant conclusions I've come to is: EVERYTHING matters and is audible.

1) It's not just 1s and 0s. The data is transmitted as an analog square wave voltage and is as just such susceptible to the impacts of noise, e.g. RF and EMI, as any other analog signal from a music source (e.g. phono stage, tape deck, disc player, etc., etc.)

2) Digital sources, while the data is in a "fully digital" domain (i.e., there not yet been an D/A conversion) is also particularly susceptible to ground plane noise, common mode noise, clock phase noise, and jitter.

3) Digital sources and "data in the fully digital domain" are also particularly susceptible to high-source impedance leakage current. This leakage current is very hard to detect and test for, and requires bespoke test equipment. It was only discovered in Q4, 2017. The problem with high-source impedance leakage current is that has a significant impact on clock phase noise, which is audible.

The bottom line here is that virtually everything in the digital streaming domain e.g. NAS, fiber media convertors, Ethernet switches, routers, music servers, and their power supplies and cables have an impact on the audio quality of playback from a digital streaming "front end". This includes USB cables, copper Ethernet cables, and the power supplies for these devices and their AC power cords.

Other sources of problems are switch-mode power supplies, the cheap-assed clocks in "consumer-grade" digital devices (e.g. router, switches, and FMCs, etc), and Ethernet cables.

Optical fiber has a big advantage over copper Ethernet for longer runs as it will not pass high-source impedance leakage current. More on the next post.

More later where I will provide some references for review and component and cable recommendations.

Meantime, please read this white paper by John Swenson: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/06...f?v=1583429386
    Care to share the components that make up your system?
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Audioshark

My two cents:

The best switch is NO SWITCH. And a CD/SACD playing the same album will still beat all this networking/streaming stuff all day long and let’s not talk vinyl. I’ve run these test many many times.

If you have a dedicated listening space and run a Cat6 (or better) cable from the router to that room, then you don’t need a switch.

Instead of all of these gizmo’s, run two runs from the router - one for your computer/home theater crap or whatever you need in the same room as your audio system and one for your audio.

We are really over complicating this situation. Information Technology IS MY BACKGROUND. 25 years.

Ethernet filters like the Gigafoil can help filter out noise on the line coming from the PSU of the router/other devices on the network. And if you want to convert Ethernet to Fiber, fine. I’ve done it. The sound is different, but better?

YMMV.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    My two cents:

The best switch is NO SWITCH. And a CD/SACD playing the same album will still beat all this networking/streaming stuff all day long and let’s not talk vinyl. I’ve run these test many many times.

If you have a dedicated listening space and run a Cat6 (or better) cable from the router to that room, then you don’t need a switch.

Instead of all of these gizmo’s, run two runs from the router - one for your computer/home theater crap or whatever you need in the same room as your audio system and one for your audio.

We are really over complicating this situation. Information Technology IS MY BACKGROUND. 25 years.

Ethernet filters like the Gigafoil can help filter out noise on the line coming from the PSU of the router/other devices on the network. And if you want to convert Ethernet to Fiber, fine. I’ve done it. The sound is different, but better?

YMMV.
    Well, of course the best switch is no switch. Less components in any reproduction chain will improve overall performance. If we wanted to get "wild and crazy" we could all use batteries to power our components, too, and obviate the need for AC power distributors. But, that's not practical for many, and neither is not having the functionality and flexibility a switch provides.

The facts are that different customers have different needs and therefore, different requirements. And guess what? Every customers needs/requirements are as VALID as anyone else's requirements. Solution providers (i.e., dealers/retailer) don't get to dictate or mandate customer requirements, customers do. Its up to solution providers to provide QUALITY and VALUE by best meeting their customer needs. This is basic VOC 101 (Voice of the Customer).

For many customers, they prefer, want, and value the flexibility of a digital streaming front end. Personally, I have virtually no desire whatsoever to go back to flippin' CDs into a player when I can sit back and pull up content in Roon, from my 4TB music library or from Qobuz, as well as read the metadata that is available, or use Radio mode to discover new content. So, for some customers, like me, they may well require an Ethernet switch or fiber media convertors.

Audioshark

Well, of course the best switch is no switch. Less components in any reproduction chain will improve overall performance. If we wanted to get "wild and crazy" we could all use batteries to power our components, too, and obviate the need for AC power distributors. But, that's not practical for many, and neither is not having the functionality and flexibility a switch provides.

The facts are that different customers have different needs and therefore, different requirements. And guess what? Every customers needs/requirements are as VALID as anyone else's requirements. Solution providers don't get to dictate or mandate customer requirements, customers do. Its up to solution providers to provide QUALITY and VALUE by best meeting customer needs. This is basic VOC 101 (Voice of the Customer; I used teach and lead technical product design teams in VOC).

For many customers that have the needs/requirements for a digital streaming front end, in their particular applications and systems, they require an Ethernet switch. Some require fiber media convetors as well.
    When people are buying these items who don’t need them, that’s the problem. I have heard from so many customers with a single run from their router to their listening room and they are all in a big flap about these audiophile switches they keep hearing about. I have to keep telling them: the best switch is no switch!! That’s the little tidbit of information all these part-time experts leave out.

NONE mention: if you don’t need a switch, don’t use one and NONE mention the comparison vs the actual CD using the same DAC and
    NONE mention simply running two lines from the router.

If in a worse case scenario, you can’t make another Ethernet run, then a switch is required. I would recommend the QNAP, this model or similar: https://www.qnap.com/en-us/product/qsw-1208-8c if they want a high end quality spec, quality built switch.

I’m not a fan of this forum, but in this case they are bang on the money, and they have done many similar reviews of “audiophile switches”:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...-switch.12360/

At the end of the day, in many cases, this stuff gets many people lost in a quagmire of confusion. Less is more.

Again, if people are hearing big differences with switches, that’s fantastic. All the power to them. My point is simple: I need to be sure to communicate that no switch is the best switch and offer an option of running two lines from the router. That’s all I’m saying.

Again, YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Kars View Post
    Don't get me started on those guys. They've never even conducted a statistically valid MSA.

Audioshark

Don't get me started on those guys. They've never even conducted a statistically valid MSA.
    LOL.

When people are buying these items who don’t need them, that’s the problem. I have heard from so many customers with a single run from their router to their listening room and they are all in a big flap about these audiophile switches they keep hearing about. I have to keep telling them: the best switch is no switch!! That’s the little tidbit of information all these part-time experts leave out.

NONE mention: if you don’t need a switch, don’t use one and NONE mention the comparison vs the actual CD using the same DAC and

If in a worse case scenario, you can’t make another Ethernet run, then a switch is required. I would recommend the QNAP, this model or similar: https://www.qnap.com/en-us/product/qsw-1208-8c if they want a high end quality spec, quality built switch.

I’m not a fan of this forum, but in this case they are bang on the money, and they have done many similar reviews of “audiophile switches”:

At the end of the day, in many cases, this stuff gets many people lost in a quagmire of confusion. Less is more.

Again, if people are hearing big differences with switches, that’s fantastic. All the power to them. My point is simple: I need to be sure to communicate that no switch is the best switch and offer an option of running two lines from the router. That’s all I’m saying.

Again, YMMV.
    The problem with the QNAP switch is high-source impedance leakage current causing phase noise, particularly if it is being powered with a SMPS adapter.It also has cheap clocks, and noisy PHYs and flip-flops. For $90 more, one can buy the Uptone EtherREGEN that was designed by a professional Ethernet-systems engineer to circumvent the problems that the "IT industry" switches have.

The problem with the Audioscience review guys is they don't even know what high-source impedance leakage current is, the impact it has on phase noise, let alone how to measure its impact.

Quote Originally Posted by SoundRebels View Post
    One of the best dedicated for audio switch - Silent Angel Bonn N8

On market You can find licensed version of Bonn8 interiors - Omnia SW-8 produced by NuPrime (aluminum chassis and low noise power supply).
    Yes, that's a good Ethernet switch; its not quite as expensive but also not quite as good as the Uptone Audio EtherREGEN, but it is better than an IT-industry switch. If you live in the EU, it's a good choice if its too much hassle to purchase the Uptone Audio EtherREGEN. Just be sure to use a good clean linear power supply with it instead of a switch-mode power supply.

Audioshark

The problem with the QNAP switch is high-source impedance leakage current causing phase noise, particularly if it is being powered with a SMPS adapter.It also has cheap clocks, and noisy PHYs and flip-flops. For $90 more, one can buy the Uptone EtherREGEN that was designed by a professional Ethernet-systems engineer to circumvent the problems that the "IT industry" switches have.

The problem with the Audioscience review guys is they don't even know what high-source impedance leakage current is, the impact it has on phase noise, let alone how to measure its impact.
    If running another run from router is not an option and you need a switch, then someone would also want a better PSU for the Uptone.

I guess you saw this (I know we are not fans), but...

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...-review.10232/

I do think they (ASR) make a compelling argument that the place to measure the impact, or not, of an audiophile switch is at the DAC output. But then the argument comes down to-- are they measuring the right things at the DAC output? I'm not convinced yet on either side of this argument.
    Source: Taiko Audio Server, Cisco 2960 Switch, Gigafoil, Lampizator Pacific Dac. Amp: Bakoon 13r Speakers: AvantGarde Duo Mezzo XD, Cables: Alan Maher Designs Power, Duelund Speaker, Shunyata Sigma IC's Audioquest Diamond ethernet. Room Treatment Vicoustic.

My two cents:

YMMV.
    The creators of the audiophile switches will argue that their switch is better than no switch because it filters noise and other digital gremlins that are there independent of a switch.

On whether cd's playing the same album will be better than streaming: I don't have a cd player, so I haven't done direct comparison. But I have read others say that a highly optimized streaming set up (hard drive and Qobuz/Tidal) will equal or better cd playback. (I believe Mike Lavigne came to that conclusion? Hopefully I have that right!)

Audioshark

The creators of the audiophile switches will argue that their switch is better than no switch because it filters noise and other digital gremlins that are there independent of a switch.

On whether cd's playing the same album will be better than streaming: I don't have a cd player, so I haven't done direct comparison. But I have read others say that a highly optimized streaming set up (hard drive and Qobuz/Tidal) will equal or better cd playback. (I believe Mike Lavigne came to that conclusion? Hopefully I have that right!)
    That last part is wishful thinking, if we are comparing apples to apples. It’s frankly not close. I’ve done numerous comparisons. The CD vs Tidal/QoBuz using the same DAC, was not close.

My efforts with switches, power supplies and grounding resulted in a sound second to none, the die hard analog guys were one over, it was clearly evident to them.

I’m am with Mike relative to less is more but in my case it was opposite.

Before my weekend painting efforts I am about to move all my digital over to a new circuit on a new sub panel we put in (thanks KingRex, more on that later) and see if better circuit cabling, a shortened run, and removing the AQ Vox SE switch that is chassis grounded will improve sound quality - I think it will or I wouldn’t try doing it.

Note: Everything is well cabled with Linear Power Supplies, ethernet cables, and isolation and created a digital front end thread on here somewhere.

Currently:

Modem > AQ Diamond > AQVox SE > Belkin 45’ > etherREGEN > AQ Diamond > Gigafoil > AQ Diamond > Aurender

Proposed:

Running coaxial in place of Belkin to move closer to Audio Room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post
    My efforts with switches, power supplies and grounding resulted in a sound second to none, the die hard analog guys were one over, it was clearly evident to them.

I’m am with Mike relative to less is more but in my case it was opposite.

Before my weekend painting efforts I am about to move all my digital over to a new circuit on a new sub panel we put in (thanks KingRex, more on that later) and see if better circuit cabling, a shortened run, and removing the AQ Vox SE switch that is chassis grounded will improve sound quality - I think it will or I wouldn’t try doing it.

Note: Everything is well cabled with Linear Power Supplies, ethernet cables, and isolation and created a digital front end thread on here somewhere.

Currently:

Modem > AQ Diamond > AQVox SE > Belkin 45’ > etherREGEN > AQ Diamond > Gigafoil > AQ Diamond > Aurender

Proposed:

Running coaxial in place of Belkin to move closer to Audio Room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Interesting. Would you then have your modem close/in your listening room?

One other question: have you tried an Aurender ACS10? I find the dedicated network filter in the ACS10 to be excellent. Then you plug your N10 into the dedicated filter on the ACS10 via Ethernet.

I removed my GigaFoil once I got the ACS10. AND, it certainly sounds better than my NAS.

Again, YMMV.
    I agree with you 100%. There is a reason I coined the phrase "digital dingleberries" to describe all of the crap people install in their digital rigs that are not necessary in order to playback/stream digital music. There are lots of imaginary problems floating around out there in the digital world (and analog too in order to be fair) and twice as many companies making "solutions" for the pretend problems. However, there is a real need to cater to the corner of the audiophile market where people have run out of things to buy to "improve" their systems and this was and is the foundation for solutions in search of problems.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

And they could sell you a used car with 300 k miles on it claiming its like brand new.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

This thread validates keeping the hard drive directly attached to the Lumin and not use the network for music.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Audioshark

This thread validates keeping the hard drive directly attached to the Lumin and not use the network for music.
    That leaves out streaming though. That being said, streaming (Tidal, etc.) is like the buffet at The Golden Corral. Plenty to eat, but I wouldn’t call it good. Your ripped CD’s will sound better and a CD playing through the same DAC, better yet again. I would say:

CD = 10/10
    Ripped CD = 8-9/10
    Streaming = 7/10

That leaves out streaming though. That being said, streaming (Tidal, etc.) is like the buffet at The Golden Corral. Plenty to eat, but I wouldn’t call it good. Your ripped CD’s will sound better and a CD playing through the same DAC, better yet again. I would say:

CD = 10/10
    Ripped CD = 8-9/10
    Streaming = 7/10

I can agree with that
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Love or hate ASR as you like, this following quote from the Uptone review is technically correct.

“Perhaps the biggest issue with claims of audio improvement is that your DAC is so far removed from Ethernet that little you can do upstream can impact it. Ethernet has a clock but that is used for communication on the wire. Once a packet (chunk) of data arrives, it is put in memory in the operating system. At that point, it no longer has any timing information much less a clock. It is the responsibility of the application to associate timing with it. And such software notion either works, or doesn't. If it doesn't your music will stop or drop out. None of that timing has any relationship whatsoever with the clock that the DAC eventually uses to play data sent to it. It is the audio application together with the DAC (and or Operating System) which determine timing.”

What really matters is keeping any noise away from your ultra-quiet analog electronics. Lots of ways to do that in renderers, streamers or add-ons. If you use Isochronous Asynchronous USB the only clock that matters is the one in your DAC. If you are using S/PDIF or AES/EBU then the source clock jitter does matter, although many DAC designers have optimized the input circuitry to make this a second level issue. My streamer is battery operated but does use WiFi, so i’ve focused on reducing transmit power to a bare minimum and making the 5 GHz path very high impedance with ferrite chokes.
    Tom

Audio:
    Amati Futura Mains
    Amati Homage VOX Center,
    Proac Response 1sc Rears,
    Three MC2301's for L,C,R
    MC 602 for the rears
    C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 77
    Nottingham Dais with Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation
    SurfacePro 3, JRiver, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

Video:
    MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
    Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 80, Rega P3

OnDeck:
    McIntosh MAC 4300v

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
    Love or hate ASR as you like, this following quote from the Uptone review is technically correct.

“Perhaps the biggest issue with claims of audio improvement is that your DAC is so far removed from Ethernet that little you can do upstream can impact it. Ethernet has a clock but that is used for communication on the wire. Once a packet (chunk) of data arrives, it is put in memory in the operating system. At that point, it no longer has any timing information much less a clock. It is the responsibility of the application to associate timing with it. And such software notion either works, or doesn't. If it doesn't your music will stop or drop out. None of that timing has any relationship whatsoever with the clock that the DAC eventually uses to play data sent to it. It is the audio application together with the DAC (and or Operating System) which determine timing.”

What really matters is keeping any noise away from your ultra-quiet analog electronics. Lots of ways to do that in renderers, streamers or add-ons. If you use Isochronous Asynchronous USB the only clock that matters is the one in your DAC. If you are using S/PDIF or AES/EBU then the source clock jitter does matter, although many DAC designers have optimized the input circuitry to make this a second level issue. My streamer is battery operated but does use WiFi, so i’ve focused on reducing transmit power to a bare minimum and making the 5 GHz path very high impedance with ferrite chokes.
    Makes sense. That’s why I love my Aurender ACS10 + W20SE. No BS. Loads of cache memory on the W20SE. Ethernet filtering on the ACS10. And ACS10 for most of my albums sounds better than my NAS. Move my favorites to the SSD of the W20SE and bingo.

Streaming for when I’m in the mood for a buffet of new music. But if the album is good, like that classical album I was talking about the other night, I will buy it.

I don't know that the manufacturers of audiophile-grade switches (or FMCs) are saying that they are better than "no device". I'm in agreement with Mike that the fewer (or zero) devices in a reproduction chain are better than more devices (for the most part, in most situations).

But some folks, including me, require the functionality of a switch or FMC. For our applications, some of the new products devleoped specifically for audio use provide audible improvements over generic products sourced from the IT/networking product manufacturers. One of the reasons is that timing matters when using these devices for audio streaming, and it does not for the vast majority of networking or computing applications.

Interesting. Would you then have your modem close/in your listening room?

One other question: have you tried an Aurender ACS10? I find the dedicated network filter in the ACS10 to be excellent. Then you plug your N10 into the dedicated filter on the ACS10 via Ethernet.

I removed my GigaFoil once I got the ACS10. AND, it certainly sounds better than my NAS.
    Mike,

What is an Aurender ACS10?

Thanks.

Audioshark

https://aurender.com/acs10/

“The Aurender ACS10 is a device designed to reduce reliance upon the computer and other IT products to support your digital audio system.”

You can read about all it’s features on the link above. 2x Isolated LAN ports, linear PSU, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team