Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Styles of Jazz Music

Quote Originally Posted by astrotoy View Post

Are Three Blind Mice and ECM labels considered jazz - and if so what genres?

Larry,

Music from the Three Blind Mice (TBM) label is some of the best Japanese Jazz available.
    In January, Chris Connaker discovered the Three Blind Mice Supreme Collection which we discussed here.

After somehow managing to get his hands on the entire collection he posted this article on AS.
    https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/bits-...of-music-r880/

Which albums do you have in your collection? They are valued very highly in Asia.

Regards

2 Channel Stereo :
    Custom Win10 Transport | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Acoustic Portrait Thiyaga | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

I didn't see either Miles Davis or John Coltrane mentioned in the different jazz classifications - are they generally classified in a particular jazz genre?
    Larry,

Miles Davis and John Coltrane were responsible for bringing Modal Jazz to the forefront in '59 and the early 60s.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modal_jazz

George Russell is considered the pioneer of Modal Jazz.
    Bill Evans who played with George Russell was another major influence.

Miles Davis used Modal Jazz framework in "Kind of Blue" which Coltrane was a part of.
    But it was Coltrane who did a lot more in stretching the limits of Modal Jazz with his quartet.

Regards

2 Channel Stereo :
    Custom Win10 Transport | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Acoustic Portrait Thiyaga | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil View Post
    Larry,

Music from the Three Blind Mice (TBM) label is some of the best Japanese Jazz available.
    In January, Chris Connaker discovered the Three Blind Mice Supreme Collection which we discussed here.

After somehow managing to get his hands on the entire collection he posted this article on AS.
    https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/bits-...of-music-r880/

Which albums do you have in your collection? They are valued very highly in Asia.

Regards

I have four TBM Titles. They are all safety master tapes (15ips 2 track).

The Big Four George Kawaguchi
    Remember Martha Miyake
    North Plain Eiji Nakayama
    Ako's Dream Isao Suzuki

They were part of a very large (200 reel) safety master collection I bought a few years ago. More jazz than classical or rock/pop. Lots of famous titles, many in 1/2". The TBM and ECM titles were the ones that I had no knowledge of, except as audiophile titles.

Larry
    Analog-VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono,2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2, Merrill Trident Tape Preamp, Herron VTPH-2A&BottleheadPhonoPre,
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicroso nicsModel2 AD
    Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC Roon/HQPlayer,Oppo105
    Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-512 Engineering Tim Marutani Symmetrical Power IsoTrans and cables,AudioDiskVinylCleaner,
    Music-2.3KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,60TBripped files

I have four TBM Titles. They are all safety master tapes (15ips 2 track).

The Big Four George Kawaguchi
    Remember Martha Miyake
    North Plain Eiji Nakayama
    Ako's Dream Isao Suzuki

They were part of a very large (200 reel) safety master collection I bought a few years ago. More jazz than classical or rock/pop. Lots of famous titles, many in 1/2". The TBM and ECM titles were the ones that I had no knowledge of, except as audiophile titles.

Larry

"The Big 4" and "Ako's Dream" are in the Supreme Collection and well regarded.
    The other two I am not so familiar with but are probably quite well known.

It's hard enough to get regular CDs of these albums.
    The fact that you have safety masters is in another stratosphere altogether.

Regards

2 Channel Stereo :

Finally, are Muddy Waters and Albert King considered jazz or something else (I have them listed as Pop/Rock in my catalogue of albums).

Not sure if you are still looking for this info:

Muddy Waters and Albert King are Blues greats
    Muddy Water is considered the father of Chicago Blues

2 Channel Stereo :

Larry,

Miles Davis and John Coltrane were responsible for bringing Modal Jazz to the forefront in '59 and the early 60s.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modal_jazz

George Russell is considered the pioneer of Modal Jazz.
    Bill Evans who played with George Russell was another major influence.

Miles Davis used Modal Jazz framework in "Kind of Blue" which Coltrane was a part of.
    But it was Coltrane who did a lot more in stretching the limits of Modal Jazz with his quartet.

Regards

Thanks. The safety masters have a heavy concentration of Miles Davis, almost all 1/2" tapes, and a fair number of John Coltrane. Here is a list of the Miles Davis tape titles - all are 1/2" safety masters:

Cookin' (mono)
    Relaxin' (mono)
    Bitches Brew
    Four and More
    Kind of Blue + Alt Take and Extras
    Miles Smiles
    Milestones
    Olympia:Coltrane and Stitt
    On the Corner
    Round Midnight

Davis appears to exhibit a wide range of styles. Some are quite attractive to me, others are very difficult. Similar comments to my experiences with Coltrane. Our fearless leader Chris visited a couple of years ago and chose (IIRC) his favorite album to play - Relaxin'.

Here are my Coltrane safety masters- two are 1/2". I also have John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman which I think is wonderful - just a tape not a safety master.
    A Love Supreme
    Blue Train
    Settin' the Pace
    Soultrane
    The Avant-Garde

Here are my Bill Evans safety masters:
    Intermodulation
    At Shelly's Manne-Hole
    Sunday at the Village Vanguard (also have the Tape Project Waltz for Debby)

I find Bill Evans' albums much more accessible than much of Davis and Coltrane.

Thanks, Larry
    Analog-VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono,2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2, Merrill Trident Tape Preamp, Herron VTPH-2A&BottleheadPhonoPre,
    Other-512 Engineering Tim Marutani Symmetrical Power IsoTrans and cables,AudioDiskVinylCleaner,

Thanks. The safety masters have a heavy concentration of Miles Davis, almost all 1/2" tapes, and a fair number of John Coltrane. Here is a list of the Miles Davis tape titles - all are 1/2" safety masters:

Cookin' (mono)
    Relaxin' (mono)
    Bitches Brew
    Four and More
    Kind of Blue + Alt Take and Extras
    Miles Smiles
    Milestones
    Olympia:Coltrane and Stitt
    On the Corner
    Round Midnight

Davis appears to exhibit a wide range of styles. Some are quite attractive to me, others are very difficult. Similar comments to my experiences with Coltrane. Our fearless leader Chris visited a couple of years ago and chose (IIRC) his favorite album to play - Relaxin'.
    Miles Davis music changed drastically over the years in an effort to stay current over his long career.
    Do consider watching the Netflix documentary "Miles Davis: The Birth of the Cool" to get an idea.
    https://www.netflix.com/watch/80227122?source=35

Miles' influence on Coltrane and other musicians is nicely shown as well in the movie.

"Cookin" and "Relaxin" are from Miles Davis' Hard Bop stage when he was with Prestige/Blue Note.
    Here is the Miles Davis discography to give you a timeline of the albums if you haven't looked it up already.

I think it goes without saying that anything to do with Miles is eminently collectible.
    I have no doubt that your albums (specially "Kind of Blue") will be highly sought after by jazz enthusiasts.

Regards

2 Channel Stereo :

Here are my Coltrane safety masters- two are 1/2". I also have John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman which I think is wonderful - just a tape not a safety master.
    A Love Supreme
    Blue Train
    Settin' the Pace
    Soultrane
    The Avant-Garde

Coltrane might just be the most influential of all jazz musicians ever.
    He was instrumental in stretching the genre into what is now called Modal jazz, Free jazz and Avant-garde jazz.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Coltrane

For the purposes of this thread, arranging your albums per release date and jazz type

Blue Train (January 1958, Hard bop)

Soultrane (October 1958, Hard bop)

Settin the Pace (December 1961, Hard bop)

A Love Supreme (January 1965, Free jazz, Modal jazz, Avant-garde jazz, Post bop)

The Avante-Garde (1966, Free jazz, Avant-garde jazz)

Information on each album is available in the links but the standout album is "A Love Supreme".
    Once again these are all fantastic albums and highly sought after in the jazz world.

Again for context do consider watching "Chasing Trane: The John Coltrane Documentary" on Netflix
    https://www.netflix.com/watch/80147403?source=35

Regards

2 Channel Stereo :

This video came up on my Youtube feed today.
    Thought it would be interesting for @astrotoy (if you have seen it already)

2 Channel Stereo :

Great stuff, Nikhil! I don’t read or write music, but still found the video very entertaining and informative. Well worth the time.
    Anthony
    Analog: VPI Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

Digital: Antipodes CX (Oladra Upgrade)> Cary DMS-600 DAC/Streamer---->
    ...........Cary 306 SACD Professional Disc Player---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

Great stuff, Nikhil! I don’t read or write music, but still found the video very entertaining and informative. Well worth the time.
    Anthony
    Analog: VPI Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

Digital: Antipodes CX (Oladra Upgrade)> Cary DMS-600 DAC/Streamer---->
    ...........Cary 306 SACD Professional Disc Player---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

Coltrane might just be the most influential of all jazz musicians ever.
    He was instrumental in stretching the genre into what is now called Modal jazz, Free jazz and Avant-garde jazz.
    John Coltrane - Wikipedia

For the purposes of this thread, arranging your albums per release date and jazz type

Blue Train (January 1958, Hard bop)

Soultrane (October 1958, Hard bop)

Settin the Pace (December 1961, Hard bop)

A Love Supreme (January 1965, Free jazz, Modal jazz, Avant-garde jazz, Post bop)

The Avante-Garde (1966, Free jazz, Avant-garde jazz)

Information on each album is available in the links but the standout album is "A Love Supreme".
    Once again these are all fantastic albums and highly sought after in the jazz world.

Again for context do consider watching "Chasing Trane: The John Coltrane Documentary" on Netflix
    https://www.netflix.com/watch/80147403?source=35

Regards

I agree but would still say one of the most and it is a very nice list. I only miss my personal favorite Crescent

Styles of Jazz Music

Thanks for sharing, Nikhil. I play a bit of Jazz guitar, but my grasp of harmonies and music theory is rather limited. Yet, I also liked her story.

What I found fascinating, was how someone who has probably studied the better part of two decades classical piano, found herself so unprepared for bebop styles and harmonics. While getting the gist of syncopy, rhythm, and harmonics, I think the reason why she was struggling is that she approached jazz with the same school book rigor and attitude, as when following a classical piece to the note. Get a score, follow the score, use this mechanism, apply that structure. Therefore the end-result sounded like classical music, the flow was Chopin with odd harmonics, and it neither made sense from a classical nor jazz perspective. It was not modern either like Bartók or something.

Her effort was very headstrong, trying to reason everything. And hence she a bit neglected rhythm, harmonic flow, and feeling the music, which make jazz so interesting. Even though there’s a significant amount of understanding of music theory required to play good jazz, that’s not everything and you can’t just rationally deduct it as she tried. I felt the effort yielded something that sounded similar to what a chauffeur might look like on the race track Styles of Jazz Music.

But it was very interesting and entertaining to watch, especially as she was very nice and humble, and kind of probably feeling she’s not deserving the cigar yet. And I could of course myself not do a fraction of any of it.

If you like her effort and the idea to blend jazz and classical music, listen to this Chick Corea album. Chick starts with classical pieces and the jazzes them up really masterfully.
    IMG_4613.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

It's funny; I can appreciate Jazz musicians playing classical but I have yet to hear a classical musician playing jazz in a way that moves me.

I think the reason might be, that pretty much everyone starts classical.

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by A.S. View Post
    It's funny; I can appreciate Jazz musicians playing classical but I have yet to hear a classical musician playing jazz in a way that moves me.
    IME the reason for this is timing; ie: The ability to swing with ones playing. Classical musicians are taught not to and jazz musicians always do.

Frank Sinatra's timing of words and phrases is IMO the same thing as swinging with an instrument.

From Wikipedia:
    The term swing, as well as swung note(s) and swung rhythm, is also used more specifically to refer to a technique (most commonly associated with jazz but also used in other genres) that involves alternately lengthening and shortening the first and second consecutive notes in the two part pulse-divisions in a beat.
    2Ch: Sumiko Blackbird, Rega RB300 (modified), VPI HW-19 (modified), ARC SP-9MKIII, DBX 223SX, Dyna MKIII (radically modified), Magnepan 1.7, Dual 12" DIY TL subs, 2 bridged Crown XLS-402's, 14" HP laptop/2GB USB HDD, Emotiva XDA-2

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

Big fan of her jazz singing style ...
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    I think the reason might be, that pretty much everyone starts classical.

You've got point there. I had thought about it like that.

Quote Originally Posted by A.S. View Post
    In addition to “swinging“, a very crucial part of jazz is improvisation. Classical musicians are not taught to improvise. They are trained to play what is shown on sheet music.

Thanks for the great video. It was very good to see how bebop takes the standard chord sequences and extends them beyond what the normal classical music progressions are. Part of my problem listening to much of jazz (Coltrane, Davis for example) is that I grew up having classical music played in my home on the piano and through the hi-fi. The tonalities, particularly, and the rhythms and structures, became imbedded in my musical language, like a child learns a language. And this was classical music from the baroque through the early 20th century, not the later post modern music that was being composed after WWII (when I was growing up). Also no Second Viennese School 12 tone music. Pop music was pretty easy, since the melodies and harmonies, etc. were almost all quite simple, and quite consonant, with straight forward chord progressions and rhythmic structures. Easy to sing.

My introduction to Jazz was probably Brubeck and his Time Out album, which became a best seller when I was in high school. There was also swing, from Glenn Miller, which was a favorite of my parents. However, no Davis, Coltrane or Armstrong, Monk, Parker.

For people who grew up to jazz, bebob, hard bop and the other genres, I think the tonalities and improvisational structures and rhythms and complex syncopations, became imbedded in them, making it part of their musical language. I remember reading that Beethoven was revolutionary as a composer during his time, and his most popular symphony during his life was his first symphony, which sounds most like Haydn and Mozart, the composers which were most familiar and popular with the audiences of that time. His most popular piece was his Septet, written in 1799, only a four years after Mozart's early death and while Haydn was still at his peak. Beethoven was only 29 when he wrote the piece and would have the great majority of his compositional career ahead of him.

At this point, my exploration of jazz, which really began at the age of 71, five years ago, still tends to favor artists like the Modern Jazz Quartet, Cannonball Adderley, Bill Evans, Brubeck and Paul Desmond, and Ella Fitzgerald including her albums with Louis Armstrong. I have much more difficultly with Miles Davis, John Coltrane, and Thelonious Monk. I don't have albums by Charlie Parker.

Larry

Very nice write-up Larry, I like it. I think the connection can go even deeper, into how we hear or are used to hear.

Our hearing is conditioned during our upbringing based on the sounds and languages we hear. The French language for example, is a phonetically limited language. That means the tonal range typically used when speaking, is slightly limited compared to a number of other languages. That’s the reason why French native speakers often struggle with vocalizing other languages, because they’re used to hear and communicate in a different tonal range. As a result their hearing is not conditioned to deal with the wider range of other languages, and their hearing not used to dealing with it. However, in turn their hearing is usually better in the range of the French language. As it happens, that range is similar to the Oboe’s tonal range. Due to this coincidental match, an above average share of the world’s best Oboe players are French native speakers.

Thanks. The comments on the French language and oboes is very interesting. I know the nasality of the French language also makes it a difficult language for an adult to learn as a second language, and also makes it very easy for a French speaking native to immediately know that a person is not French. I have heard that violins made in France have a special tone quality also.

Larry

The jazz we came from and the jazz we're going to next is like a sunset.
    And that sunset could be from the 20s, the 30s, the 40s, ... and all the way up to 2021 and beyond.
    Between hundred years what we discover in jazz made our style in jazz.
    My jazz instruments are the piano, the sax, the trumpet, the trombone, the clarinet, the acoustic bass, the drums, the jazz guitar, the jazz vocals.

I am not defined in jazz; I like Tango jazz, Opera jazz, Classic jazz, Progressive jazz, Velvet jazz, Improvised jazz, Super Smooth jazz, Spanish Jazz, Cuban jazz, African jazz, and Coltrane jazz.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

In the now ...

And it's hot, very hot here today...over 40° C.
    Need some special jazz to cool off.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

I'm wondering how many know that the word Jazz actually came from a Black term "jass". As in don't jass up the music. It was first used when referring to church and Gospel music. At that time it was not a complimentary term.

I've been listening to some old Charlie Christian work. What he did with Benny Goodman set the bar for every jazz guitarist that's come after him.
    Last edited by JoeESP9; June 28, 2021 at 08:39 AM. Reason: more stuff to say
    2Ch: Sumiko Blackbird, Rega RB300 (modified), VPI HW-19 (modified), ARC SP-9MKIII, DBX 223SX, Dyna MKIII (radically modified), Magnepan 1.7, Dual 12" DIY TL subs, 2 bridged Crown XLS-402's, 14" HP laptop/2GB USB HDD, Emotiva XDA-2

And here is the scandinavian style personified by

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch View Post
    Nice. I'm a fusion guy.
    Same here as was JDandy (R.I.P) . When I visited Dan, at times we would just get out his guitars and play along. I miss that guy.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Styles of Jazz Music