Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ed’s System

Re: Ed’s System

Quote Originally Posted by Kingrex View Post
    Having my Denon 103R cartridge rebuilt by Soundsmith with the saphire and line contact diamond really made a difference. Cartridge does quite a bit too. Its kind of odd how such things are such an influence. Is that a blurr of truth in what is really on the vinyl.
    Back to a game of points depending how far you want to explore, and you only have to go as far as you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

I can say, with only three albums, that there is definitely differences depending on recording and pressing quality. For example, I started with these three albums (will probably pick up a couple more at lunch today ).

Pink Floyd Animals: Remastered and on 180g vinyl. Very well done, great recording very good pressing. Still some pops and clicks but very nice, especially the acoustic guitar pieces. Incredible sound stage.

Lana Del Ray NFR: New double album, and I know, I am strange, but I really enjoy her music. Listening to only one album of the two so far. I really like the music but the pressing definitely is not as well done. A bunch more noise, etc. Real good separation though, and some solid deep base tracks.

Beck Modern Guilt: Definitely in between. Much better done then the LDR album, but not nearly as well done as Animals!

Anyway, it shows me that Vinyl, like digital, really does come down to recording and production also. There are advantages and disadvantages to both formats.

However, one thing that is amazing is how really good the U-Turn Orbit Special really is, even if its price was not the first concern. When you then add in the price it is a holy crap, what a value. I got the version with the built in phono pre-amp. Over all output is about the same level as my digital. It seems like a solid pre-amp, again for the money a steal. Another nice thing is that the U-Turns are up-gradable in many ways.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Funny Ed. Could we twist your satisfaction and overall happiness with the UTurn for a moment. If it's that simple and inexpensive to be happy, only a $250 inveatment in an analog front end, why did you/we waste $200,000 on everything else. You could have been content with pretty decent sound for $1,500 into everything else, right?

My quick answer is that we are all F'n crazy ... The U-Turn Orbit Special with phono pre sells for $529. And, again, just dipping my toe in. My buddy just spent over $2k for a new cartridge. I do not think I will be at that level in vinyl, but we never know .
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I make my comment in jest. I won't spend $1,200 on a cartridge.

Funny Ed. Could we twist your satisfaction and overall happiness with the UTurn for a moment. If it's that simple and inexpensive to be happy, only a $250 inveatment in an analog front end, why did you/we waste $200,000 on everything else. You could have been content with pretty decent sound for $1,500 into everything else, right?
    At RMAF, I seen and heard great systems at $1000, $2000 on up, it does not need to be over $300K retail to sound good, this has always been my belief.

In the end, it’s like a car. Chevy and Ford are good cars, nothing wrong with them, but they also make Cadillac’s, Bentleys and Rolls Royces for a reason.

Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    My quick answer is that we are all F'n crazy ... The U-Turn Orbit Special with phono pre sells for $529. And, again, just dipping my toe in. My buddy just spent over $2k for a new cartridge. I do not think I will be at that level in vinyl, but we never know .
    When the time is right, consider the Ortofon Blue, their highest option that presumably matches the arm and table. It’s very clear to me moving from the 5 to the 2 increases performance and can only imagine the Blue.

In the interim, enjoy this what you have and if you have isolation footers try them - I think you’ll like it!

Quote Originally Posted by UltraFast69 View Post

In the end, it’s like a car. Chevy and Ford are good cars, nothing wrong with them, but they also make Cadillac’s, Bentleys and Rolls Royces for a reason.

Yeah, to pick up chicks with.
    Doug

At RMAF, I seen and heard great systems at $1000, $2000 on up, it does not need to be over $300K retail to sound good, this has always been my belief.

If I order one, I will probably order with the Blue. Ortofon also seems to make 2M Bronze ($440) and 2M Black ($775). I am curious, does a better cartridge scale up in SQ with any turntable or does it depend on the table, arms etc ?

I would order the Blue direct from U-Turn and enjoy it, and probably not go higher than the Bronze. With the Blue, it will already be mounted for you, and any other cartridge not offered then you are on your own for mounting and setting, or you will need support if you have little to no experience.

The upgrade from the Orbit to the Special jumped in sound quality, with only the cartridge and plinth being the variables. With that being said, I would put more weight towards the cartridge over the resonance of solid wood.

In the end, it's all cumulative, and IMO everything matters; Cartridge, Arm, Table, Motor, Bearing, Isolation, heck even the controversial power cable, and it goes on from there.

I am all ears for anything said that is not right, over preference.

I am wondering if anyone has found a better power supply for the table without going over board. No one in this thread has mentioned that it has an external power supply which could be a very good thing. Might be nice to get an upgrade one like I got the iPower for the Recovery, as an example.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Not going to do the power on the U-Turn, and not sure of the spec’s but would if it was going to be the primary table using the Keces.

I will be doing a Nordost Blue Heaven IEC cable for the Kuzma.

I am using a Wireworld Eclipse 5 cable that I had. I was thinking of using a Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 that I currently have on the tuner. The only problem is that the 7 is 1.5 m while the 5 is 1 m. I would be surprised if I heard a difference, but I may have to give it a try.

I have heard that the only difference between the Ortofon Red and Blue is the Stylus and that you can simply purchase a Blue stylus. I do not know if this is true or not?

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Randy

That's true. Red and Blue are the same body Bronze and Black use a different body that is interchangeable between that pair.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Awesome, thank you Jack! At some point I might get a blue stylus to check it out. Right now I am trying to get used to cleaning the record, etc. again. Just another source, but fun playing around. Remarkable little table for sure!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

If you are using the internal phono stage, I would venture a guess a better PS would help.
    I have a friend who sells Roxan and VPI. He even advocated a better PS for just the motor speed controller. But were talking a guy with say $6,000 to $20,000 in the phono front end. And a different manufacturer. Yet he still says it matters. I bet Ed will be telling us the power cable to his Kuzma table makes a difference. Pitch Stability? ????

You can try one of the inexpensive ones from Jameco.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

I started out with a Rega RP6 and Fono phono stage. Then I got all the Gove Tracer platter, subplatter weight stuff. Subtle but good change. Then I got a Denon 103R to replace the rega Exact cartridge. Moderate to mild change. Then I got the Allnic H1201 phono stage. Big change. Then I pulled the motor off the plinth and remote mounted it. Huge change. Then I broke the RB300 arm and got a Vertere Arm. Mild change. More a shift. Then I had the Denon cartridge upgraded with the saphire cantilever and line contact diamond. Big change. In all that my plinth material and configuration changes a few times. Each a mild to medium change. Some bad some good.

My overall take. The cartridge and phono stage are a big deal. The table and arm less so, but still very important. I have not messed with cables much.

I also built a vacuum record cleaning system. Clean records are a night and day improvement. It has to be done. No question. Even a brand new record has form release oil on it. Clean every record with correct liquid and vacuum them. Look up how to do it. Use good cleaner. Regular soap will leave build up and catch more nast creating worse problems.

This is just my phono Odyssey.

I started out with a Rega RP6 and Fono phono stage. Then I got all the Gove Tracer platter, subplatter weight stuff. Subtle but good change. Then I got a Denon 103R to replace the rega Exact cartridge. Moderate to mild change. Then I got the Allnic H1201 phono stage. Big change. Then I pulled the motor off the plinth and remote mounted it. Huge change. Then I broke the RB300 arm and got a Vertere Arm. Mild change. More a shift. Then I had the Denon cartridge upgraded with the saphire cantilever and line contact diamond. Big change. In all that my plinth material and configuration changes a few times. Each a mild to medium change. Some bad some good.

My overall take. The cartridge and phono stage are a big deal. The table and arm less so, but still very important. I have not messed with cables much.

I also built a vacuum record cleaning system. Clean records are a night and day improvement. It has to be done. No question. Even a brand new record has form release oil on it. Clean every record with correct liquid and vacuum them. Look up how to do it. Use good cleaner. Regular soap will leave build up and catch more nast creating worse problems.

This is just my phono Odyssey.
    Excellent suggestion. Thanks!

The u-turn seems to take 9v and they supply a wall wart. Not sure about the current requirement but I am expecting less than an Amp. There is no question that power supplies can make one of the biggest impact - I have seen this in digital domain over and over again. Over the years I have collected a fair bit of premium power supplies that I am going to try if I get the table.

Check the current. Is it AC or DC. I bet AC as the motor is probably a wound synchronized. A DC power supply will not work.

I e-mailed U-Turn and asked them about the specs, what would be a good replacement, etc.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Check the current. Is it AC or DC. I bet AC as the motor is probably a wound synchronized. A DC power supply will not work.
    Rex, Your right.

Will the external power supply give you better sound or is it primarily there to help produce a more constant speed? Maybe a little of both?
    Doug

Here is U-Turns reply to my e-mail. I also asked about the replacement stylus.

"Hi Randy,

Thanks for getting in touch! Happy to hear you're enjoying your turntable. There aren't any power supply upgrades I'd recommend. You can add a power conditioner if you don't have one already, but I find that these don't make much of a difference to my ears. Yes, the ifi phono should work well with the Orbit (just make sure you're using the MM setting).

We stock replacement styli including the 2M Blue. Since you have the 2M Red already, upgrading would be super easy - you just need to slide the new stylus on (no alignment or balancing required since you're not replacing the cartridge). Let me know if you'd like me to set up an order for a 2M Blue stylus, or if you have any other questions!

Ben Carter
    Co-Founder"

I asked about the iFi iPower, which is what I used with my W4S Recovery. He obviously mis-read thinking I was asking about their phono pre .... The main point is that they do not recommend a power supply upgrade. I kind of thought he might have a recommendation.

I do have their power supply plugged into my AudioQuest Niagara 1000.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Just for some general info: the types of power supplies that make a difference for turntables are those that isolate the AC mains frequency from the turntable motor. Most of these use an AC/DC transformer/convertor where the DC is isolated from the AC mains with a "moat" so that the 50/60Hz AC frequency does not get through to DC for powering the TT drive motor. Examples are the Rega TT-PSU, Linn Lingo, and Michell "Never Connected" power supplies.

Other TT's, e.g. the Clearaudio Concept series, use a wall-wart style Switch Mode Power Supply (SMPS). If these SMPS' for TTs are used in a system with digital players, ideally, they should be replaced with a linear power supply. You can get very good ones affordably from Jameco. SMPS put all sorts of nasties into the power distribution of an audio system, not the least of wihich are high-impedance leakage currents.

Ed’s System

Knowing clean records are happy records, despite whether new or gems that are found previously played.

I thought it was a no brainer to add a record cleaning machine.

Audio Desk; Super solid, small foot print and simple;

An idea of scale;

Good choice Ed, the Gläss is superb!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Dang, it looks nice. $4k for a record cleaner is a bit over the top for me though .

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

nice pics... always like to see your listening room. and, you have a bar in there... that is the audio upgrade i need!!
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | almarro a318b + air tight atc-5 (phono) | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

Looks like a gaming table also... now that is an audiophile man cave if ever I saw one!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
    Just for some general info: the types of power supplies that make a difference for turntables are those that isolate the AC mains frequency from the turntable motor. Most of these use an AC/DC transformer/convertor where the DC is isolated from the AC mains with a "moat" so that the 50/60Hz AC frequency does not get through to DC for powering the TT drive motor. Examples are the Rega TT-PSU, Linn Lingo, and Michell "Never Connected" power supplies.

Other TT's, e.g. the Clearaudio Concept series, use a wall-wart style Switch Mode Power Supply (SMPS). If these SMPS' for TTs are used in a system with digital players, ideally, they should be replaced with a linear power supply. You can get very good ones affordably from Jameco. SMPS put all sorts of nasties into the power distribution of an audio system, not the least of wihich are high-impedance leakage currents.
    As far as I know, no one makes a AC linear PS. They are all DC.
    First Sound Mark3SI preamp. Audion Black Shadow 845 SET Monoblocks. Mojo Audio Deja Vu Server. Mojo Audio Mystic 3 DAC. Linear Solution Ethernet Switch. Gigafoil with LPS. STST Motus II TT with Vertere SG1 arm, Hana ML Cartridge, Allnic H1201 phono pre. Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Horn speakers with Mundord Supreme oil caps. Power via 10 awg Oyaide cable from panel to custom distribution strip feeding front end. Oyaide dedicated10 AWG branch circuits from panel to each amp. Inakustik speaker and interconnect cables, Genesis Interconnect.
    Kingrexelectric.com Lyncole certified grounding specialist.

I will try and get a pix of my record cleaner. I took a piece of 2" pvc and put a slit in it matching the width of record grooves. I drilled a 1/4" hole and stuck a piece of AL dowl in it. I used some felt sheet with sticky back and edged the slit I made.

I have made an attachment to go on my wet dry shop vac. It's excellent at pulling the cleaning fluid out of the groove. Cost maybe $15 to make.

Ed's machine is way easier. Mine is effective. I use mucrofiber paint brushes cut into 2" x 2" chunks the brush the cleaning solution around in the grooves. I use real cleaning solution. Sonetimes I mix Triton X114 wuth distilled water. Maybe some 99% Alcohol. I have never damaged anything with the alcohol. It's a choice you have to make.
    First Sound Mark3SI preamp. Audion Black Shadow 845 SET Monoblocks. Mojo Audio Deja Vu Server. Mojo Audio Mystic 3 DAC. Linear Solution Ethernet Switch. Gigafoil with LPS. STST Motus II TT with Vertere SG1 arm, Hana ML Cartridge, Allnic H1201 phono pre. Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Horn speakers with Mundord Supreme oil caps. Power via 10 awg Oyaide cable from panel to custom distribution strip feeding front end. Oyaide dedicated10 AWG branch circuits from panel to each amp. Inakustik speaker and interconnect cables, Genesis Interconnect.

Ed’s System

Again, price aside Amazon can’t be beat, I ordered a Ortofon 2M Blue replacing the 2M Red last night before I went to bed, it arrived today, mid morning, that is fast!

I just installed it changing only the stylus, it could have not been easier.

The Audio Desk just proved that it cleans albums with no compromise, and reasonably quiet.

Jefferson Airplane’s Bathing at Baxter, original copy has surface noise and a few ticks and pops, now gone, it sounds like it’s new, no joke!

I know the Audio Desk Glass is not the most affordable, but anything of this caliber is worth it’s weight in gold out the gate.

Last fun addition this weekend is the Stillpoints LPI, in black - I haven’t tried this yet, but did let the table spin with it, and the 1.5 lb weight was no issue for the motor in the U-Turn.

Also bought a new Dyson Animal 2 vacuum cleaner that will arrive tomorrow for the house for the carpet in the music room, area rugs and bedrooms - may as well go all in

Have a great weekend!

Ed’s System

As I’m cleaning all of my starter collection, I have a first pressing original Sinatra, despite portions of the Album not even Audio Desk can help - time got the best of it. Regardless, it’s cool to see the nostalgia inner sleeves, just love the presence of physical media;

They are being replaced with Mobile Fidelity’s inner sleeve and our sleeve protection

Love Dyson, have an animal and a portable both upstairs and down ...

I ordered a Clearaudio record clamp because my vinylphile buddy said it was great! Should arrive Monday. He also gave me a couple albums because I have ripped his entire SACD collection for him. The Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac album re-done by Bernie and pressed on 2x 45 vinyl is amazing!

He is a record cleaning fanatic and can take old albums and make them sound new. The couple albums he brought over sounded quieter then any of my brand new albums. One of these days I will take my meager collection to his house and he will do them all!

Definitely put the albums in archival quality sleeves and the entire jacket inside of nice outer sleeves!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Ed’s System

Hi Ed,

Fantastic that you and several other guys here on AS are checking out vinyl for yourselves with the current crop of high value gear from Orbit, Ortofon and others. My wife works with a Dr. here in town that also bought the same Orbit setup as Randy just did with built in phono and wood plinth. He absolutely loves it.

Sounds like you're really enjoying the journey so far and I think its pretty cool how you're going about it with good, logical steps toward what should be a fantastic sounding analog rig with Kuzma at the core. Well done sir.

I'm very envious of you guys right now!...my TT (VPI Classic 2) is down and out since I sent the platter back to VPI yesterday for a PEEK bearing thrust pad replacement.

I'll just live vicariously thru the new vinyl adventures everyone is posting about recently and listen to some digital tonight...and the next few weeks.
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCh View Post
    Hi Ed,

Fantastic that you and several other guys here on AS are checking out vinyl for yourselves with the current crop of high value gear from Orbit, Ortofon and others. My wife works with a Dr. here in town that also bought the same Orbit setup as Randy just did with built in phono and wood plinth. He absolutely loves it.

Sounds like you're really enjoying the journey so far and I think its pretty cool how you're going about it with good, logical steps toward what should be a fantastic sounding analog rig with Kuzma at the core. Well done sir.

I'm very envious of you guys right now!...my TT (VPI Classic 2) is down and out since I sent the platter back to VPI yesterday for a PEEK bearing thrust pad replacement.

I'll just live vicariously thru the new vinyl adventures everyone is posting about recently and listen to some digital tonight...and the next few weeks.
    Mike, thanks!

Great to hear these tables are making the rounds. I was told don’t waste your money on entry tables, they are throw away tables.

This could not be farther from the truth. The little experience I am gaining is well worth the price of admission.

I like the Orbit Special, and now with the Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge in place, I would have no issue serving permanent duty in my reference system.

With a few tweaks and cables, plus use of the external phono it to me is really, really that good.

Your VPI turn around will be quick, and it will let you play with your digital, and by no means is there anything wrong with that.

Enjoy your sound

At this point I can see no reason why the U-Turn cannot be in my system for the long term. It is so much more than an entry product. Solid hardwood plinth, acrylic platter, very serviceable tonearm. It does what it is supposed to do. It spins the record consistently and accurately. It seems well isolated (my buddy who is into high end vinyl was very surprised how well isolated it is). A few tweaks, good cables, record clamp, probably upgrade to the Blue stylus. I will probably end up playing around with external phono stage at some point. They really got the basics right on this table!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Love Dyson, have an animal and a portable both upstairs and down ...
    Dyson Animal 2 arrived yesterday, replacing a 12 year old plus Kenmore prime in its day.

The music room, bedrooms and area rugs felt dirty under your feet, making the decision to find a new vacuum cleaner and to send out the rugs for cleaning since it’s been a couple of years.

After vacuuming a couple of area rugs and the music room, I wanted to cry, literally.

I could not believe the dirt that maxed out the canister despite our house being relatively clean.

Related sort of is to remember to change your HVAC filters and vacuum out you condenser coils and filter screens on your refrigerators - good time to use the reminder of daylight savings to do this upkeep.

We have had Dyson for years. We actually bought all five of our kids Dysons a few Christmas's ago. I have an Animal upstairs that I use in the music room also!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Holy Smokes, I was saving this for my new table, but couldn’t help myself:

UHQR pressing of Jimi Hendrix’s Axis Bold as Love.

Pressed and packaged like no
    other that I have seen. It is quality through and through and shows what a good pressing can deliver.

Dyson Animal 2 arrived yesterday, replacing a 12 year old plus Kenmore prime in its day.

currently on sale w/ extra tools from dyson: $299... 30-day return policy, free shipping both ways, 5-year warranty.

just snagged one -- replaces ~20 year old miele canister style vacuum (what a PINTA form factor !!!)

now my system is a little more like ed's
    viking acoustics berlin r mk2 | almarro a318b + air tight atc-5 (phono) | clearaudio concept + virtuoso v2 MM | t+a dac8 dsd + diy transport + roon rock
    alp-tone audio analog cables | core audio designs plyKraft 3L | hifi racks ltd podium t5-iii

I love our Miele. Been a rock for 15 years. Every 5 years or so I have the local dealer clean and lube it. HEPA is king. I hate smelling an old dirty vacuum with cheap filters. I even use hepa in my shop vac. Of course, I washed a couple records and forgot to pull it out and ruined the filter. Owe well. Lowes has more.

INCOMINGGGG

My Kuzma Stabi R is on its way to Los Angeles, and then north to me here in Seattle.

I’m hoping to have this a week from Friday, Monday.

Excitement City, Stay Tuned, Pun Intended!

Ed’s System

Prior to my Kuzma arriving in a couple of days, I decided to finalize the missing piece in my Digital to support the streaming and network portion - move the power feeding the modem, and switches/support on to it’s own circuit.

All network related items are away from my reference system located in what we call the mechanical room. My attitude is if it can be moved and does not belong, get it out - you will be surprised!

Other than not being on a dedicated circuit, everything was right; decent distribution plugged into a Shunyata outlet, with a plug in Defender conditioner that fed the linear power supplies feeding the switches, passive grounding, mechanical isolation and cabling but...

the receptacle was on the house panel, which allowed noise that you would not realize until you pull it out and give it its own receptacle.

Now Furutech cabling goes from the breaker, in the sub panel that contains its own earth rods to a Furutech receptacle.

Game changer!

Highly recommend to ensure you have considered power to your system, before the high cost power cables to your components; relatively low in cost, and high return on performance - in my book that’s a feat in high-end audio!

My Digital is dialed tight and now it’s time to sit back and enjoy what was made possible through effort, time and money. Thanks to Everyone!

Now I look forward to my new addition this week, changing my game of Analog!

My attitude is if it can be moved and does not belong, get it out - you will be surprised!
    Couldn't agree more. One of the biggest improvements I made to my digital system was to take the Mac Mini out of the audio rack and put it at the opposite end of the house.

I like Ed have all my equipmemt fed from 1 circuit. In my panel I have landed 2 hot wire under 1 CB. My grounds and neutral are together also. One hot is my audio rack. The other is my network equipment. I think Eds improvements are 2 fold. One he is now feeding from 1 panel. Before his audio was from 1 panel and network gear from another. I believe this is an opportun for ground loops. Even with the gigafoil as the PS is not getting the same voltage as the equipment rack. Second, im a big believer in cord. Ed now has a 10 awg furutec cord with a mesh shield bonded on the primary side only. It's my belief that the 60 hertz vibrations are damped by the rubber casing. I use cord myself. Mine is just Cullen 10 awg. It's OFC, but Ed's ia probably better. My power strip is built from Furutec #4 ofc cord I stripped and built.

Ed’s System

Well the Kuzma Stabi R arrived today and it was a breeze to setup!

I did a bunch of homework in anticipation of this, and that proved to be a benefit - for me this was a situation I had to read the manual a few times, all on all it took about a hour and a half to setup and tweak. The longest part was watching the drops of oil drip into the ruby bearing sump, 35 in all.

The difference between this table with a MC cartridge and the U Turn Orbit Special with MM cartridge cannot be compared other than from the standpoint, the Orbit was my first love, albeit short lived but will remain serving duty in the main part of the home.

With that being said, the Kuzma seriously opened things up between soundstage, noise floor and dynamics. The cartridge is wired with Nordost cabling to the DIN connector and from there is a Nordost tonearm cable into the phono, then down the line a Nordost branded loom completing the cable package.

The internal motor is direct drive with the ability to adjust the speed, something I have not checked but from what I hear the factory is meticulous about this. Also, I love the ability to adjust the speeds and go between 33s and 45s at the push of a button, this just saves time! Power is fed through an IEC connection, with a mains power switch using a Nordost Blue Heaven power cable, with a 90 degree connector - this allowed it to fit perfectly in the space I have allotted. I chose an entry level cable as I have read some compelling statements why this can contribute points to the game of sound.

Right now the HRS M3X I had slated for the original Stabi S is not deep enough for the Kuzma Stabi R, so I repurposed this under the Boulder 508 Phono and used Stillpoints Ultra 6’s under the Kuzma and Ultra SS under the 508.

It’s hard to pin point any one specific but overall the sound is crazy good, and I am pretty proud getting this all together.

Playing Dean Martins, I dream of Dean makes one feel to pour a bourbon for two waiting for him to come off stage and join you for a drink, and this is after 2 hours of settling.

I am over the top fortunate to enjoy what I have put together and welcome all to enjoy!

Here are some photos:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Great looking table Ed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team