Subwoofers for muddier bass - Page 3
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 27 of 27
  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    274
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Subwoofers for muddier bass

    Quote Originally Posted by Devg View Post
    So this is what confuses me - so help me understand. How can I hear the bass and soundstage without putting the speakers in the right place ? In other words, in order to determine the seat position, do I need to put the speakers in a predetermined location ?
    I'd get them generally as far into the room as seems possible.

    Quote Originally Posted by Devg View Post
    Nope. I bought the DVD set from Amazon.
    Send me an e-mail requesting them and I will add you to the mail list and send you links to all of the 19 QNs so far.

    jim@getbettersound.com

    Quote Originally Posted by Devg View Post
    I wasn't aware of all the installments. How can I get them ?
    Its easiest to simply subscribe - there's a lot of interesting info.

    Here are links to the various issues in which I have contributed:

    http://www.psaudio.com/issue/issue-12/

    http://www.psaudio.com/issue/issue-14/

    http://www.psaudio.com/issue/issue-15/

    http://www.psaudio.com/issue/issue-16/

    As you can see the issue links are predictable - I am writing for Issue # 17 now.
    MBP (2), stripped down for music only; Curious USB; PS Audio LanRover; Audioquest Diamond ethernet; REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; Audioquest Diamond AES; Schiit Yggdrasil; Ayre QB-9 DSD; Ayre Codex; ASR Emitter II Exclusive; all electronics on Grand Prix Audio stands; mass-loaded Tannoy Canterburys on custom stands; Outboard Duelund xover bypassing internal Tannoy xover & Tannoy EQ; bi-wired with Duelund DCA16GA speaker cables; mass-loaded REL 212 SEs; Duelund DCA20GA ICs; Stealth Dream PCs; dedicated custom room; various room treatments; etc.

    www.getbettersound.co;

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    197
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Subwoofers for muddier bass

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
    I'd get them generally as far into the room as seems possible.



    Send me an e-mail requesting them and I will add you to the mail list and send you links to all of the 19 QNs so far.

    jim@getbettersound.com



    Its easiest to simply subscribe - there's a lot of interesting info.

    Here are links to the various issues in which I have contributed:

    http://www.psaudio.com/issue/issue-12/

    http://www.psaudio.com/issue/issue-14/

    http://www.psaudio.com/issue/issue-15/

    http://www.psaudio.com/issue/issue-16/

    As you can see the issue links are predictable - I am writing for Issue # 17 now.
    Thanks Jim. I have ordered the book and hopefully will get to read this week.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    197
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Subwoofers for muddier bass

    I did some quick REW measurement this morning after playing with the listening and speaker position. The bass has been a lot better but still not there. The speakers are very much into the room about 1/3rd of the length measuring from the back wall to the back of the spkr and my listening position is also about 1/3rd (a bit less) from the wall behind. In this position, all ratios of speaker to listening distance doesn't seem to apply but I felt has the best soundstage and bass.

    Here is the SPL graph with 1/12 smoothing.



    Here is the waterfall

    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Colorado USA
    Posts
    1,591
    Post Thanks / Like

    Subwoofers for muddier bass

    Devg, have you tried starting over completely from the front wall with the speaker positioning?

    I believe you said you moved them back 1 foot from their original position.... but not sure what that equates to.

    I guess what I'm asking is have you started with the back of the loudspeakers a distance as close as you can to the front wall whether that be 1 foot or 2 foot and then go forward toward the listing position from there?

    Maybe your room and set up simply needs more coupling of the loudspeakers to the room?

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    197
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Subwoofers for muddier bass

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeCh View Post
    Devg, have you tried starting over completely from the front wall with the speaker positioning?

    I believe you said you moved them back 1 foot from their original position.... but not sure what that equates to.

    I guess what I'm asking is have you started with the back of the loudspeakers a distance as close as you can to the front wall whether that be 1 foot or 2 foot and then go forward toward the listing position from there?

    Maybe your room and set up simply needs more coupling of the loudspeakers to the room?
    Mike, yes, I started from 1ft from the back wall but the sound is too harsh and hard. The bass is also more muddier. With this speaker, I haven’t heard any setup sounding good when they are close to back wall. The soundstage looses dimensionality and sounds flatter the closer the speakers are to the back wall.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Colorado USA
    Posts
    1,591
    Post Thanks / Like

    Subwoofers for muddier bass

    Quote Originally Posted by Devg View Post
    Mike, yes, I started from 1ft from the back wall but the sound is too harsh and hard. The bass is also more muddier. With this speaker, I haven’t heard any setup sounding good when they are close to back wall. The soundstage looses dimensionality and sounds flatter the closer the speakers are to the back wall.
    OK thanks. Is this true without the bass traps in place? (and with).... playing with the placement of the loudspeakers starting at the front wall and moving toward the listening position?

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    197
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Subwoofers for muddier bass

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeCh View Post
    OK thanks. Is this true without the bass traps in place? (and with).... playing with the placement of the loudspeakers starting at the front wall and moving toward the listening position?
    There is no bass traps in the room now. The problem with my room is the listening position changes with the speaker position. The listening position from the smoothest bass response when the speaker position, say 3ft from the back wall is no longer valid when the speaker position is say 5ft from the back wall. This is the exact question I asked Jim in the earlier post and he suggested to move the speaker as far away from the back as possible. My speaker designer, Robert, suggest to first find the speaker position and the decide the listening position which is opposite of what Jim suggests but I find they are kind of chicken-egg problem

 

 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3