Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Integrated amplifier for Scansonic MB-2.5

Hello folks!

I follow up the forum for a while and I am really enjoying to spend time when I reading all your posts.
    Honestly speaking I am not an audiophile, actually not even close to be one ... But somehow I really like to read and learn something about all those interesting and beautiful equipments.
    And at the end, I decided to pull the trigger... But that trigger will be belong to a pretty small pistol. I do not have a financial power to get a truely ultra high end system so far. That’s why I am planning to start this hobby with a very simple and cheapest way.

After all the time when I was spending read forums and reviews, I create a short list for possible purchase;

Speaker
    ;
    Scansonic MB-2.5

Integrated amplifier options;
    Hegel H160
    Musical Fidelity M6si
    Naim Supernait 2
    McIntosh MA5200 (Second hand)

I just want to get your opinions about which integrated amplifier would be a better match for MB-2.5? Or would be there any other suggestions in same price range (2500-3500 USD)..
    I do not have a proper source. I will use my computer as source for my digital files. So, integrated amp should contain a good DAC for sure.

That system will be my guide when I am entering to hi-fi world, that’s why I want to keep it plain and simple and also correct at the beginning...

I really love to hear your opinions and recommendations (also for speakers).

Cheers...

Audioshark

Re: Integrated amplifier for Scansonic MB-2.5

Welcome!
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Thank you Mike...

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum! Thank you for joining.

Do you own or have you purchased the Scansonic MB-2.5? Have you auditioned them?
    Last edited by joeinid; May 23, 2016 at 10:31 AM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Thank you very much for your warm welcome...

No, I do not have them yet, I am planning to buy them... Just auditioned for a short time.
    I am looking for transparency and resolution, and seems these guys can provide all these very well...

They have great resolution thanks to that ribbon tweeter, but their overall balance is on the dark side. From the amps you mentioned I would rather go with sth like Hegel H160 - i.e. fast, transparent, not overlywarm.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Actually my first choice will be Hegel H160, that's why it is top on my list... And also there are some youtube videos which shows some raidho systems playing very well with hegel products. That's why I thought it can be a better option for MB-2.5 as well.
    After that point I started to looking for similar amps of H160. The other options came up like that... Only last one recommended by a dealer, he said "it just used for a couple months, and he can give me a pretty good discount on that". Brand new MA5200 is more expensive than all other options in my list. I am wondering if that price difference can be noticeable when playing as well? because I did not hear any of these amps when playing MB-2.5. The dealer of the Scansonic in my country also selling Ypsilon products and I heard those speakers with Phaeton integrated which is way better than all my options, also pretty expensive too.
    As I said, I am also close to Hegel H160. It is a new model, and according to reviews , it has a quite good DAC too. I am not sure which one has better sounding DAC. Seems MA5200 can play more variety of music files than H160 and M6si.
    At that part I will need your help, because I do not have any chance to try those amps on MB-2.5s, because all components selling by different dealers in my city. So,I am looking forward to hearing about your opinions and experiences for these amps.

I would go with Hegel then, unless the MA5200 (which I haven't heard, although I had for a short period 6300 in my living room) has a similar sonic signature.

Where are you from ?
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

I am from Turkey Elberoth, living in Istanbul...

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Welcome to AS.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

The Norma IPA-70B is the highest performing integrated I've tried with the Scansonic-series as well as the Raidho X-series under €4.000. The Norma's have SOTA transparency, resolution and micro dynamics. Very special amplifiers.

The Ypsilon Phaethon is indeed fantastic btw

/ Marcus
    PERFECT SENSE
    www.perfect-sense.se

Showroom in Stockholm, Sweden | info@perfect-sense.se | 08 518 368 00 | Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    Welcome to AS.
    Thank you MDP, I have a lot to learn here

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
    The Norma IPA-70B is the highest performing integrated I've tried with the Scansonic-series as well as the Raidho X-series under €4.000. The Norma's have SOTA transparency, resolution and micro dynamics. Very special amplifiers.

The Ypsilon Phaethon is indeed fantastic btw

/ Marcus
    Thank you very much for your suggestion Hyperion. I just checked from company's web site. But unfortunately they do not have any dealer in my country for Norma products.

Hi capybara,
    I'm from Turkey too. In Denmark Fritz matched them with Naim superuniti and it worked perfectly.

iPhone 'den Tapatalk aracılığı ile gönderildi

Quote Originally Posted by burau34 View Post
    Hi capybara,
    I'm from Turkey too. In Denmark Fritz matched them with Naim superuniti and it worked perfectly.

Yes, I just checked Superuniti from Naim's page. It seems more capable option than Supernait, and also little more expensive. Thank you, I will keep it also in my mind...

Welcome Capybara
    A couple of things. First Scansonic and Raidho sound best when setup properly. That being they should be approx 9ft (3M) apart with a toe in pointing at your shoulders. They can be pretty close to the side walls (30cm) and I like them a meter or 2 from the back wall (bottom ported). I think the Scansonics are great value for the money. Second is they sound pretty bad when new out of the box especially the lows. Kind of like a one note thump. But after about 30 hrs that starts to get better. On other forums most seem to say they need 250+ hrs to really come alive.

I've only heard the Scansonics driven by Naim and Aavik. Both are very good.
    George

Aavik U300 - Borresen 03 with optional Supreme D-TC feet - Naim unitiserve 2tb - Ansuz DTC digital cable with power box - Ansuz Mainz8 D-TC with 1 Ansuz Supreme D-TC and 1 Ceramic V2 power cords - Ansuz Ceramic V2 speaker cables - Ansus X Ethernet - pARTicular Novus full suspension rack.

Quote Originally Posted by octadyndude View Post
    Welcome Capybara
    A couple of things. First Scansonic and Raidho sound best when setup properly. That being they should be approx 9ft (3M) apart with a toe in pointing at your shoulders. They can be pretty close to the side walls (30cm) and I like them a meter or 2 from the back wall (bottom ported). I think the Scansonics are great value for the money. Second is they sound pretty bad when new out of the box especially the lows. Kind of like a one note thump. But after about 30 hrs that starts to get better. On other forums most seem to say they need 250+ hrs to really come alive.

I've only heard the Scansonics driven by Naim and Aavik. Both are very good.
    These are quite nice advices, I will remember if I would get the system which I want. Thanks...

Hegel H160 ----- not warm sounding
    Musical Fidelity M6si - warm sounding
    Naim Supernait 2 -a little warm sounding
    McIntosh MA5200 - very warm sounding

Scansonic 2.5- never heared them, but if it follows the same nature of the Raidho X1,then warm/dark sounding

So, go for Hegel.

Esoteric K-05,Oppo BDP 95, Cocktail Audio X50
    Accuphase C-2420,Mark levinson 532h,NuPrime IDA8, Line Magnetic 210IA(300B) & AS-125(211)
    Sonus Faber Guarneri Evo, Raidho X-1,ELAC 310ib, Elac 203.2,Acoustic Energy AE1 Classic, Spendor 3/5 SE
    Nordost Tyr2&Red dawn xlr,Analysis Plus Big Silver, Cardas Clear Power x 2,NBS Blk Label2,Voodoo Fire Dragon,Furutech Flux50x2 etc.

Primare I32

Quote Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
    Thank you very much for your suggestion Hyperion. I just checked from company's web site. But unfortunately they do not have any dealer in my country for Norma products.
    Oh no... That's too bad.
    PERFECT SENSE
    www.perfect-sense.se

Showroom in Stockholm, Sweden | info@perfect-sense.se | 08 518 368 00 | Follow us on Facebook

So, in that case I will keep Hegel H160 still at the top of my list.
    2. can be Naim Supernait 2 or Nait Superuniti (which is more expensive but seems better for digital).
    3. Musical Fidelity M6si
    4. McIntosh MA5200
    Primare I32

Any other suggestions or opinions?

Of course I will need a pair of good speaker cable for system as well. But it should be
    also in budget section as other components...
    Do you know what cable using internal cabling of Scansonic MB series? Should I go with what's inside ? or is there some other options which you had good results with these speakers?

I would love to learn from your experinces about cable subject too, but my priority is deciding over amplifier as first step..

Looking forward to hearing from you

Cheers !!

Go for the Ansuz X series.

Any update Capybara? What did you end up buying?
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_1282001 View Post
    Any update Capybara? What did you end up buying?
    Unfortunately not yet I am planning to finish this up until end of this year.
    Still searching for possible other options, but so far I am seriously thinking about Naim Superuniti..

Quote Originally Posted by Capybara View Post
    Unfortunately not yet I am planning to finish this up until end of this year.
    Still searching for possible other options, but so far I am seriously thinking about Naim Superuniti..
    Hi Capybara. Did you end up getting your system?
    Scansonic MB-1, Aavik U-300, Sony CD Player as transport, mixture of ansuz cables in different qualities, Ansuz Mainz X Power Distribution, Ansuz Power Distribution for DTC cables

Hello there...

Actually I could not get whole system yet, but started from speakers.. And unfortunately I could not buy Scansonic MB-2.5. I have just decided to get them and tried to contact with dealer in my country, but I could not. Somehow he was unreachable. Their place was closed and could not get any response for my calls and mails.
    After that I started to looking for another speaker option. Anyway, I was about to buy New Dynaudio Focus XD 20 active speakers, but it ended up with Dynaudio Contour 20.
    And right now I am in same dilemma... Which amplifier ?

Dealer has 3 integrated amplifier at demo. Hegel H160, Naim Nait XS and Devialet 400. Devialet was doing wonderful job with Contours, I really really liked it. Naim was also quite good. But Hegel's bass quality was not good as others.

Frankly speaking Devialet 400 was overkill for contours, I believe even Devialet 120 or Expert 130 pro would be so good with my stand mounted speakers.
    And instead of Naim Nait XS, Naim Supernait 2 would be much better option I suppose ( as a result supernait has better structure and higher power output, also have DR power supply which is a huge plus ) The other hand, If I go with supernait, I will need a proper dac and also good interconnects, and that means I need to spend more money which is currently my main concern.
    With Devialet I will not need a DAC, because it already have a great DAC and also a very good "Phono Stage". And of course it will be more expensive than Naim. I am not so sure but I believe result will be better.
    The other hand I did not have any chance to listen contours with none of these so far. Because I could not bring together any of those amplifers ( Devialet 120 & Devialet Exper 130 Pro or Naim Supernait 2 & Naim Superuniti ) with my speakers. And it seems that will not be possible anytime soon. But the other hand I am driving my speakers with a very entry level Marantz A/V reciever, and I wanna buy a new amplifier asap.

I am planning to buy an integrated set, that's for sure... And I would prefer an amp which has all in the case like Devialet.
    So, do you have any experiences with Dynaudio Contour 20, or any recommendations for new amplifier options for these speakers? My budget will not be more than 3500-4000 USD or EUROS (That's why I am considering to buy maybe Devialet 120, not Expert 130 Pro)

I will wait for your comments and suggestions.

Cheers !!

Capybara - Back when I had Dyn C1's and Signatures I really liked the Octave V70se and Naim SN2. But considering you'll need a dac I'll suggest the Devialet. A very good sounding unit with a good dac that's built in. I'm not impressed with the Hegel after Axpona this year. I had the Naim nDac back when I had the Dyn's and although it's very good (especially with an external P/S) it can be quite expensive. As far as the Devialet I don't think the 400 is overkill (Dyn's love good clean power).
    George

Aavik U300 - Borresen 03 with optional Supreme D-TC feet - Naim unitiserve 2tb - Ansuz DTC digital cable with power box - Ansuz Mainz8 D-TC with 1 Ansuz Supreme D-TC and 1 Ceramic V2 power cords - Ansuz Ceramic V2 speaker cables - Ansus X Ethernet - pARTicular Novus full suspension rack.

Thank you for your reply George.. Yesterday I purchased Devialet Expert 120. So, I ended up with a very different configuration than I was planning to buy at the beginning. Hopefully I will be very happy after all burning in period of equipments. But even right now I can say that they don't sounds bad even at day-1 ...

I'm sure they will sound much better after break in period. Congratz on your purchase

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi

Congrat's on the Devialet. Should be a great match with the Dyn's. Does the Devialet have a SAM program for the C20's? I've heard mixed feelings regarding SAM. The only time I've heard Sam was with Raidho XT3's. Personally I preferred no Sam by a slight margin because it threw the balance of the bass off (a little too much).
    George

Thank you very much Burau34 and Goerge..

Unfortunately SAM is not ready for Contour 20's so far. Seems they are still waiting for collection of enough vote, and I am keeping my eyes on vote numbers currently (so far 10). I would appreciate all helps on that matter

I really wonder about how they will sound with SAM. I believe all system will be completely burned in until SAM is ready. And I hope it does not take so much time for them to get enough votes for Contour 20.

I just voted for the C20
    George

Oh, that's great... Thank you very much for your contribution

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Integrated amplifier for Scansonic MB-2.5