Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Super Moderator

Why don't I see Naim on Stereophile or The Absolute Sound lists of great gear?

I miss my Supernait2 and would love to hear the new NAP300DR and either matching preamp or the new NAC272 server/dac/preamp, but reviews are few and far between.

Naim gets praise at the trade shows, but no love from the forums except the Naim forum.

Anyone here now have Naim? Thoughts?
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Re: Why don't I see Naim on Stereophile or The Absolute Sound lists of great gear?

It is one of my fav brands - I like the sound, looks, reliability, brand image, history, people behind the brand.

I have the UnityQute 2 all-in-one system in my living room and I love it. My mom has the Unity 2. At least 10 of my non-audiophile friends bought various Naim systems on my recommendation (mostly Unity and Muso lines).
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Re: Why don't I see Naim on Stereophile or The Absolute Sound lists of great gear?

Only in the last couple of years has Naim advertised in those magazines. If you don't advertise, you don't get reviews.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by the professor View Post
    Only in the last couple of years has Naim advertised in those magazines. If you don't advertise, you don't get reviews.
    This statement has been proven to be untrue so many times and yet it keeps appearing as regularly as Bigfoot sightings.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

its a brand that requires more of the turn key system approach like a spectral or shindo. that probably makes it more of a niche product imo
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Focal - Naim's sister company, is an advertiser in Stereophile AFAIR.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Super Moderator

Bigfoot isn't real? Oh no....

I plan on giving the new DR series gear another look. I do realize that matching Naim gear to certain speakers works better than others. I say this from my limited experience. I do miss the PRAT, for lack of a better expression, of my Supernait2 that I wonder how it would match with my JBL's and Klipsch speakers.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Very true but that merger/buyout only happened a couple three years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    Focal - Naim's sister company, is an advertiser in Stereophile AFAIR.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

In case no one has noticed, NAIM has advertised in Stereophile. I think they have been advertising their new mega-expensive and huge amps.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

I agree. They absolutely are now days. They also have RCA along with their DIN plugs which makes them a lot easier to use with other equipment.
    Jock

---------

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    I miss my Supernait2 and would love to hear the new NAP300DR and either matching preamp or the new NAC272 server/dac/preamp, but reviews are few and far between.

Naim gets praise at the trade shows, but no love from the forums except the Naim forum.

lots and lots of love for naim on pink fish media which is extremely busy . especially the off topic section !
    http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

I like Naim, I 'get it' but I can see why its failed to gain traction on this side of the pond. its idiosyncratic nature for one, I've owned Naim since the chrome bumper series and you were pretty much stuck using other Naim gear (preamp run off their power amps and funky DIN connecting cables) you're land locked using Naim and dealers here didn't want to deal with that.

That said it has a following in the US albeit small, usually used in an all-Naim system or sold with Linn 'table and harbeth/Spendor/ProAc speakers, etc.

Naim is very popular here.
    My dealer admits they're happy they carry the line, because in these tough years for hifi, it brought them a lot of new clients.

I like their Mu-so line. Very good sound for a small kitchen or office system, rich in features.

I've heard all their separates and integrated systems, and I find them a touch on the cold side.
    The Sonus Faber Aida sounded noticeably better to me on a friend's Burmester system, than on a full Statement system.
    Kef Reference 5s were much more agreeable with a T+A source than a Naim.
    And I can give you more examples.
    But I imagine a lot of audiophiles might like the rather analytical dry-ish but very clear sound.
    Vivid Audio - Burmester - Hegel - Marantz - Oppo - Pioneer 60" - Wireworld

I liked Naim each time I heard them, I wouldn't mind using Naim but circumstances just hasn't worked out that way yet.

One listen was one of the integrated amps driving a set of Totem Hawks, the imaging was unreal. I'd bet Naim would sound good with the 4367's, I'd love to hear that.

I would agree Naim is probably more neutral in comparison to some of the warmer solid state but I find it to have better PRAT with warmer shadings than the likes of a Krell or D'Agostino or similar.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Super Moderator

My thoughts on Naim with our JBLs, is that the Naim might be a little bit too "heavy" especially for the bass. Otherwise I think it would be great. Certainly for the horn section it could be spectacular. I guess depending on model Naim, some might be better suited for the 4367s than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    I liked Naim each time I heard them, I wouldn't mind using Naim but circumstances just hasn't worked out that way yet.

One listen was one of the integrated amps driving a set of Totem Hawks, the imaging was unreal. I'd bet Naim would sound good with the 4367's, I'd love to hear that.

I would agree Naim is probably more neutral in comparison to some of the warmer solid state but I find it to have better PRAT with warmer shadings than the likes of a Krell or D'Agostino or similar.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Naim is very high current I wouldn't think the bass to be too much. You never know though.

My thoughts on Naim with our JBLs, is that the Naim might be a little bit too "heavy" especially for the bass. Otherwise I think it would be great. Certainly for the horn section it could be spectacular. I guess depending on model Naim, some might be better suited for the 4367s than others.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Super Moderator

I agree about the current but often see Naim paired with speakers like Focal which benefit from that little extra fullness of Naim. McIntosh and Focal is popular too.

I loved and miss my SuperNait2 and often think about moving up the line. I talk to my friend every day who bought my Naim and power supply. He loves it so that doesn't help me forget about it.

I am NAP300DR curious with matching preamp but that ship may have sailed.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

NAD C 658 streamer.

Naim is all about PRAT. They seem to have a strategic alliance with Focal..even here in Europe.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

I have the CD555/PSU and it surpasses the previous CDPlayer systems I've owned namely

Jadis JD1/JS2II

CEC TLO/Audio Note Dac5 and 4:1xBal

Sondek CD12

And it was not subtle --the Naim is another ballpark near SOTA for 16bit/44kHz Playback.

Sadly discontinued

Bruce

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Why don't I see Naim on Stereophile or The Absolute Sound lists of great gear?