Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: The speaker fairy showed up today - JBL 4367 !!!

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    My pleasure. I absolutely love my 4367. Smooth, sweet, musical, powerful bass, listen all day good, easy to drive and easy to place. Maybe not classic "audiophile" speakers like Magico, et al, but just so satisfying to me.

I'd love to see what you end up building. I am sure you will do an amazing job.
    Not being "audiophile" is part of my new selection criteria. The project, if it comes to pass, should be a lot of fun.

Do you have yours up on stands?

Never mind. I see the pics.

Super Moderator

I plan on raising mine up about 6 inches, right now I have them on Auralex pads that pro musicians use for subs and amps. They give me some isolation but the bass can feel a tiny bit too full at times. It's not bad as most of my listening is late at night and I feel that it kind of works in my favor.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by joeinid; August 3, 2016 at 03:26 PM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I am going to be using Starsound stands. that might be worth a shot. I know the speakers are a little heavy so it would be a two man job.

People have been a little perplexed why they did not make them a tad taller like the M2s....

So I decided to snag some Cornwall IIs just to experiment with horns in the system and enjoy them immensely. I am contemplating modding them with new B+C drivers, x-over and some internal cabinet work. Should be a fun project.

Here is another speaker a friend heard that is apparently very good (and cheaper than those JBLs: https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2015/...glad-she-does/

Super Moderator

My Cornwall III's were wonderful and I really wish I had hot sold them. They were not the smoothest but were a blast, even with only a few watts.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

My Cornwall III's were wonderful and I really wish I had hot sold them. They were not the smoothest but were a blast, even with only a few watts.
    They are a riot to listen to. I am engaged. They sound very good with good SS too. People misread them as bright, etc because the upstream electronics was often mediocre.

Man, I remember Cornwall's.... used to sell them... amazing if you want to knock the walls down... holy crap were they LOUDDDDDD....
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Man, I remember Cornwall's.... used to sell them... amazing if you want to knock the walls down... holy crap were they LOUDDDDDD....
    Yeah, I call them my Arkansas hillbilly speakers. You have not lived until you hear Leonard Skynyrd at 120 dB. They reproduce the explosiveness of drums better than any speaker I have previously owned.

We live in a midmod home and have a leaning towards furnishings from that era. I grew up with huge Wharfedale furniture speakers and seeing those big, beautiful cabinets brings up a lot of good memories....

I can only image ... my ears are bleeding just reading that post ...
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    I can only image ... my ears are bleeding just reading that post ...
    But they also play well at low volumes and do a good job recreating a soundstage at those levels. My wife is please how they look and that is half the battle!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Geardaddy View Post
    They are a riot to listen to. I am engaged. They sound very good with good SS too. People misread them as bright, etc because the upstream electronics was often mediocre.
    Absolutely, they are revealing but not bright or aggressive. I never found them offensive. A tremendous bang for the buck.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Absolutely... very important point ...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

The following for Heritage Klipsch stuff is profound. I have rarely seen such diehard, dedicated fans who seem to own these things for ever. A rarity. I have been speaking with Bob Crites and plan on upgrading the X-overs and drivers to see what more I can squeeze out of them.

Super Moderator

Bob Crites knows what he is doing. Let us know what you end up getting.

NAD C 658 streamer.

My pleasure. I absolutely love my 4367. Smooth, sweet, musical, powerful bass, listen all day good, easy to drive and easy to place. Maybe not classic "audiophile" speakers like Magico, et al, but just so satisfying to me.

I'd love to see what you end up building. I am sure you will do an amazing job.
    Joe, I'm going to listen to the M2's tomorrow in an impeccably conditioned recording studio. I, like you, though, might prefer the 4367 for the amp options it gives. I presently have a Master Sound 845 with Elrog tubes that I would like to keep using.

I'm going to listen to the JBL's because I have uncertain, mixed feelings about my Avantgarde Duo Grosso horn speakers.
    Depending on the recording, they are out of this world fantastic....or harsh at times. And sometimes they are just a little
    too aggressive. I've heard the JBL's are notably smooth and easy in the horn department, which makes me want to give them a try.

But, the difficulty is to know whether the harshness I sometimes hear is a room interaction or the speakers. I might have to demo the JBL's in the room to know.
    Source: Taiko Audio Server, Cisco 2960 Switch, Gigafoil, Lampizator Pacific Dac. Amp: Bakoon 13r Speakers: AvantGarde Duo Mezzo XD, Cables: Alan Maher Designs Power, Duelund Speaker, Shunyata Sigma IC's Audioquest Diamond ethernet. Room Treatment Vicoustic.

Super Moderator

Excellent, please let me know how the demo goes. I'm very interested. I have not gone back to listening to my Strads since getting the 4367s almost 10 months ago. I promised myself I'd hook them back up in the next week or two and hear what I'm missing, if anything. The Strads are my first real speaker love, but the JBLs really satisfy me completely.

They are absolutely smooth and detailed, with balls and touch of sweetness. Zero aggression but with a right in front of you presentation that creates a wonderful sound stage with minimal room interaction. Easy setup and all day listening good with zero fatigue. I guess you could say that I really like them.

I was scared away away from the M2 because of the locked in nature of them and also because I could not find a decent dealer nearby that I felt comfortable with should I need tweaking or more intense setup. I still monitor the Lansing Heritage forum and see a lot of love for the M2 in basic Crown amp setup but my gut and some forum members tell me I might not be as happy with them.

The 4367 don't seem fussy and while the horn may not be as technically advanced, does a superb job at conveying the music and emotion that I love so much.

I've had some email discussions with guys who now own the 4367s and are so happy, they are selling off speakers costing 3X, or more, than the retail of the JBLs.

NAD C 658 streamer.

The demo of the M2's was interesting experience to say the least.

They were set up in a professional studio in near field position, so my ears were but 4 to 5 feet from the speakers. This is an immediate problem for me as I have never liked ultra near field listening. I brought in several tracks, some which are problematic on my Avantgarde Duo Grossos and some which sound superb on them. I wanted to determine if the hardness
    I hear on some recordings was due to the AG's, my room, or simply the recordings.

The first track, from Miles Davis, Bitches Brew, is stunning on the AG's. The explosive dynamics of Mile's horn is really thrilling. It only took 5 seconds of listening to this cut to hear that the M2 and AG's are very different animals. The M2
    didn't express the dynamics. It sounded as if the recording had been remastered to compress the dynamics. It just sounded loud and lacked the feeling of hearing the timbre of the real instruments. Every other cut was the same: missing were the dynamics, nuance and delicacy I hear in the AG's.

So, this could be partly due to other factors beside the speakers. The M2's are powered by Crown amps, and my AG's are powered by a Mastersound 845 with Elrog tubes. The Elrogs are known for their explosive dynamics. Perhaps, the JBL 4367 with my amp would sound different. Perhaps I prefer my more live room, with equal parts absorption and diffusion to the heavily deadened (every square inch covered in Auralex absorption) of the M2's studio environment.

In any case, I believe the ultimate lessen learned was, if I may mis-quote the Bill Clinton campaign, "It's the recording, stupid."

There are a lot of sub-par to just bad recordings out there and a revealing system is going to expose them. The studio designer, who has been in the business forever believes that great or even very good recordings, are more the exception than the rule.
    Source: Taiko Audio Server, Cisco 2960 Switch, Gigafoil, Lampizator Pacific Dac. Amp: Bakoon 13r Speakers: AvantGarde Duo Mezzo XD, Cables: Alan Maher Designs Power, Duelund Speaker, Shunyata Sigma IC's Audioquest Diamond ethernet. Room Treatment Vicoustic.

Super Moderator

Thank you very much for your thoughts. I have no doubt that part of what you are hearing is from the Crown amps. I also believe that the AG speakers are unequaled in their presentation of a live event with lightening fast response. The Mastersound amps you have must be wonderful in sweetening and providing air and bloom to the recording.

I have not heard AG speakers recently and would love to but I am afraid they would not be a good fit for my room. I am taking the 4367s for what they are at this point and not analyzing what I hear - I just enjoy the moment. I just recently switched to my Ayre MXR-20 monos and can not believe the level of improvement. I guess I get used to hearing a certain combo but now with the Ayre amps, I get powerful and tight bass, sweet vocals, more depth and width, just amazing.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe

Have you put the 4367's on any kind of stand or just on the floor?
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Super Moderator

Hi Jack,

Until I can get my @ss in gear and make/order something that raises them up 6-9+ inches, I am using Auralex Acoustics isolation pads that pro musicians put under their speaker cabinets. At least I get 2-3" extra height from them and a definite improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Joe

Have you put the 4367's on any kind of stand or just on the floor?

NAD C 658 streamer.

Would something like the Sanus amp stands work? Then you could put the Auralex in between. That would give you about 8" and the isolation.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SAEFAB
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Super Moderator

That's an interesting idea but the 4367s would hang off both sides and be a little unsteady.

I'm thinking about ordering amp stands from either Steve Blinn or the other guy in PA whose name escapes me right now. I think they would give me the similar height like you recommended but with wheels as an option to move them in and out. I just have to get my Strads back in the system, especially since my Ayre gear is playing now. I have not tried the MX-R twenty's on the Strads yet but my thinking is it will just possibly be my best combo to date - at least for my taste now.

NAD C 658 streamer.

This is a custom shop that a lot of the guys on AK have used. All metal stands.

http://www.aandmcustomsteelspeakerstands.com/

Super Moderator

That page is not working for me.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe

I just clicked on the link in my post and it came up.

Worked for me as well... some interesting products.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Randy

I've contemplated contacting them about sub stands. From what I have been able to tell a large part of their business is from people with the large ADS monitors from the late 70's to mid 80's. My son had them make a pair for the L810/II's I gave him that I bought new in 1978. They are still going strong. How is the VT-50 doings? It and the STP-SE should keep you happy for a long while.

Super Moderator

Ah, works on my desktop/laptop, not anything else. Thanks!

Joe

I just clicked on the link in my post and it came up.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Very cool, thanks for the link!

Joe, you can try the IsoAcoustics (their modular stands) or Sound Anchors.

Both have confirmed that they can custom make stands for the 4367.

Randy

I've contemplated contacting them about sub stands. From what I have been able to tell a large part of their business is from people with the large ADS monitors from the late 70's to mid 80's. My son had them make a pair for the L810/II's I gave him that I bought new in 1978. They are still going strong. How is the VT-50 doings? It and the STP-SE should keep you happy for a long while.
    Hey Jack, the VT50 is doing great. Currently I have the Ampzilla sitting on the floor in front of the Amp Stand. Whenever I want to use it I can set it on top of the ARC and switch the wires up.... takes a couple minutes. So far I have done this only once. I really like the ARC sound, although the SST is pretty darn good as well. The Ampzilla just got an Editor's Choice Award from TAS (the issue just arrived). It's a little odd how TAS list the manufacture as SST/Wyred. I know EJ owns both and they are manufactured in the same facility but they are two separate companies ...

The STP-SE will be arriving next week. Eventually I will probably get it upgraded but for now I think it will be nice to get some W4S pre-amplifier love back in the system ....

By the way, I used to love ADS speakers. I remember selling a lot of them!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Super Moderator

I'll have to call IsoAcoustics and see what they have.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I've been considering the same thing Joe. I've got a pair of their smallish desktop monitor stands that I've been messing with.
    Rance

Synology DS411+II | GigaFOILv4 + Keces P3 Power Supply | Shunyata Alpha Ethernet | Lumin S1 | VAC Master Line Stage | VAC Signature 200 iQ amps | Kharma Elegance dB11-S | SVS PC-4000 subs x 2 | Shunyata 6000/T v2 | Kharma Elegance signal cables| Luminous Audio Technology power cables | Isoacoustics OREA vibration isolators | Solid Tech racks | Vicoustic room treatments | Acoustic Sciences Corporation IsoWall + IsoCeiling construction

Joe, what have been your favorite amps on the big JBLs since you acquired them a year ago?
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Super Moderator

Hi Keith,

At one point, I thought my Accuphase A36 was the sleeper, but I've since gone back to my Ayre MXR-20's and these by far are the best. They drive them with ease, are dead quiet, sweet vocals, wonderful depth and control. All I need is the KXR-20 and I'm truly done.

Even though the 4367 are pretty efficient, they thrive on power. They just get better and better.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    Joe, what have been your favorite amps on the big JBLs since you acquired them a year ago?
    Last edited by joeinid; February 13, 2017 at 02:13 PM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

"I'm truly done" - famous last words

I'm in a similar boat I guess - should know more in the next few weeks.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Super Moderator

Ha!

I think I've squeezed my wallet enough lately. Plus I have to say, there's something special for me in the Ayre R series.

I'm curious what you may end up doing.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    "I'm truly done" - famous last words

I'm in a similar boat I guess - should know more in the next few weeks.

NAD C 658 streamer.

When we finally get our dream equipment there has to be a point when we can say "I am done", with that particular piece anyway... especially if it cost close to.... gulp... $30k.... gulp... but I know Joe has said how much he loves those Ayre Twenty mono amplifiers.... so we are all allowed to dream what our dream equipment may be ...

Personally I am still in the discovery, or should I say re-discovery stage so I couldn't actually say for sure what my dream equipment is.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Super Moderator

NAD C 658 streamer.

The first real Giant Killer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCI18qAoKq4

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I have a pair of these and can confirm they are very well made and a great value. I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Digital: LH Labs Source (someday...) + LH Labs Geek Pulse SFi
    Analogue: Audio Technica OC9ML/ii + Technics 1200SL + Nikko Beta 40 (phono only)
    Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE
    First Watt F6
    Focal 816VW Special Edition

Congratulation! I can feel how happy you are enjoying your 4367. JBL Array 1000 is the first horn speaker I owned and since then I fell in love with JBL horn speaker. Following that, I have owned Array 1400 and now 4367. Now I own a shop being the exclusive dealer for JBL Synthesis in Vancouver, BC. This is how addictive JBL to me. 😅

This is the speaker that can convey you the emotion, the passion of the musicians and the “be there in the music concert” dillusion that other tradition high-end speakers cannot reach. All these because of the transient response and dynamic range offered by the properly designed JBL horn system.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.

Excellent. Welcome to the club. I have no plans to get rid of mine. They are wonderful. That's great you are a dealer. Spreading cheer and happiness to all your customers.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

The speaker fairy showed up today - JBL 4367 !!!