Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Super Moderator

Re: Ayre KX-5 Twenty and VX-5 Twenty combo ......

Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Dang... Joe is 1000 x mortal.... holy crap.....
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Dang... Joe is 1000 x mortal.... holy crap.....
    Well, I am a legend in my own mind
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Joe's got photos to prove it!!

The VX-5's 2 MOhm input impedance makes it an ideal partner for tube pres.

Quote Originally Posted by Anatta View Post
    That's interesting, would you like to elaborate?

Background: looking for alternatives to bring tube warmth into my system.
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

2 MegaOhm input impedance is a very easy load (very low current demand) that would not stress the output stage of tube pres so they'll be able to work in optimal conditions, giving most extended frequency response and least distortion.

Quote Originally Posted by Anatta View Post

True dat. That might be the highest input impedance I have ever seen. If you want a tube pre it may not get any better. You could drive that with a flashlight bulb.

Thanks guys for the explanation, that is good to know. That means a tube pre could be a feasible alternative in my setup, should I be willing to consider swopping out the KX-5/20 (currently not very likely though).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    I just picked up the Ayre KX-5 Twenty and VX-5 Twenty combo. I have to say that even without being broken in, it sounds great. Smooth, non-aggressive, slightly sweet, powerful bass and dead quiet.

I have the KX/VX Twenty combo in my study. I chose the black finish and use dCS Rossini DAC/clock as only source. Access music files via Ethernet and use Tidal. Speakers are WA Alidas in Aston Martin Orange. The pre/amp combo in Twenty guise is really hard to beat even at higher price points

i have the the big brothers of all these components in my main listening room- Alexia, MXR/KXR Twenty and dCS Vivaldi DAC/clock/umpsampler

while i lose some scale and depth in the study system (primarily speakers and placement limitations), the natural pace and rhythm is there and the organic sense of space around each artist is present. Very enjoyable system. Quick pic attached....listening chair is on opposit wall
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator

Very nice. I love the Ayre combo. It has more than enough power for me and is reasonably priced for how it sounds. I never even considered the black. It's beautiful.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

NAD C 658 streamer.

----

Banned

Just dawned on me that I should try the VX-5 Twenty first being driven with the Devialet. A true comparison of just amplifier stages. If I like what I hear I can sell the Devialet and use my lowly Simaudio 230HAD as DAC and line stage until I'm ready to dish out more money for the QX-5 and/or KX-5 or something else completely.

Baby steps.

Banned

VX-5 accept bananas? Hard to tell from the pictures of the back?

Super Moderator

Sadly no, only spades. But, it's a great, solid connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tone View Post
    VX-5 accept bananas? Hard to tell from the pictures of the back?

NAD C 658 streamer.

Banned

Sadly no, only spades. But, it's a great, solid connection.
    Well that pretty much killed my weekend plans.

Am seriously considering an Ayre pre. Joe- you find any limitations with the KX-5 Twenty volume adjustments being 1.5 db each step? Interesting that the lower priced K-5xeMP has finer control, with more steps, at 1.0 db each.
    Antipodes EX…Schiit Yggdrasil...Coda 07x…Peachtree GaN400...Vivid V1.5
    Intona Premium USB…Cerious Graphene Extreme XLR...Double Helix Cables Chaperone XLR...Acoustic Revive SPC-PA
    Torus RM15...Shunyata Alpha HC…Mad Scientist First...HF Reveal...XLO Ref 3

Ayre KX-5 Twenty and VX-5 Twenty combo ......

Quote Originally Posted by Mrppv View Post
    Am seriously considering an Ayre pre. Joe- you find any limitations with the KX-5 Twenty volume adjustments being 1.5 db each step? Interesting that the lower priced K-5xeMP has finer control, with more steps, at 1.0 db each.
    Have owned both. The K-5 xe MP is a fine pre-amp, but IMHO in the Twenty version the KX-5 takes the art to the next level. There is a class difference.

Whether the 60-step control of the KX-5/20 suffices will largely depend on the efficiency of your loudspeakers.

Double posting.

Super Moderator

Hi,

I have zero issue finding the right volume step for whenever I am listening. If fact, it has been one of the, if not the, finest preamps that I have ever owned (and I've owned some superb preamps). I absolutely love it. Sweet, detailed, not a hint of sibilants, dead quiet and superb tone.

Only makes me wonder how the KX-R/20 would sound , wait, don't answer.

Last edited by joeinid; July 12, 2016 at 04:24 PM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thanks… speaker sensitivity is 89.

Ayre's site lists 66 steps for the K-5xe mp and 46 steps for the KX-5 Twenty. Half-decibel would probably even be better.
    Intona Premium USB…Cerious Graphene Extreme XLR...Double Helix Cables Chaperone XLR...Acoustic Revive SPC-PA

^Was writing that before I saw your reply. Glad to hear it isn't an issue.

It's really really good Joe!!!

Hi,

Only makes me wonder how the KX-R/20 would sound , wait, don't answer.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Thanks… speaker sensitivity is 89.

Ayre's site lists 66 steps for the K-5xe mp and 46 steps for the KX-5 Twenty. Half-decibel would probably even be better.
    You're of course right, the KX-5/ 20 volume control operates in 46 steps of 1.5 db.

I'm with Joe on his one, have not experienced it being a problem. Actually quite the opposite, especially with the phono pre.

My speakers' sensitivity is 88db, the pre is a good fit.

Super Moderator

Oh boy!

I guess ONE MORE piece of gear can't hurt .

I had the original non-twenty version of the KX-R and did not appreciate what I had back in the day. Now, I am much wiser. I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by the professor View Post
    It's really really good Joe!!!

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post

I'm with Joe on his one, have not experienced it being a problem.
    Good to know; thanks

I actually was concerned about the 1.5db volume control steps when I bought my KX-5 Twenty, but it hasn't turned out to be an issue. The acid test in my house is whether the wife gripes about it, and she's loving it.
    Main system: PS Audio P5, CAPS server w/HDPlex power supply, Hegel H160, AQ Colorado and Rocket 44, Vandersteen Treos, PS Audio DS DAC. NAD M4 tuner, Mcintosh MR74. Analog: Bryston BLP1, Ortofon Quintet Black, customized Tavish Adagio phono pre. AudioSensibility Statement interconnects. Rythmik Audio 15-inch sub. Other stuff: Sequerra Met 7's (original) Met 7 MK. II, REL Q108, Berning ea-230's, Micro Seiki BL51 with Grace and Rega arms. Too much else to list, I am gonna leave a heck of a pile of stuff when I die.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team