Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: Set of racks

Set of racks

Northern Red Mahogany 200mm x 100mm. The lengths will be 2m long & weigh 26kgs/57lbs as well as some smaller c section shelves for a total of, 330kg/770lbs. Resonance will be assimilated ..... This is a very dense & Australian hardwood, jaysus have I got me some splinters already....

Audioshark

Re: Set of racks

Nice! I was hoping this post was about another "rack".
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Smart. High mass with dissipation. Isolates through mass and still absorbs component energy. Hard to perfect that combination better than natural hard woods. I got 450 pounds of solid walnut slabs 3.5 inches thick.

Wow, Australian's have very tidy garages.....

Just move in or did you clean up for us?

Looks like an interesting project. I've found dissipation to be more important than mass. You can achieve energy release without mass remembering that mass is a measure of an object's resistance to changing its state of motion when a force is applied.
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

Refer top photo, the dissipation is done through sorbothane pucks on the SGR Audio racks, work exceptionally well & the racks do indeed make a discernible change for the better to the sound. I want the timber as it's a hobby & also functional, thanks for the physics lesson though, from one kiwi to another! Mike, just for you....one more gander at Dolores

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_1282001 View Post
    Wow, Australian's have very tidy garages.....

Just move in or did you clean up for us?

Looks like an interesting project. I've found dissipation to be more important than mass. You can achieve energy release without mass remembering that mass is a measure of an object's resistance to changing its state of motion when a force is applied.

As I sad mass is for isolation; it dont move. Getting something to isolate and dissipate at the same time can be difficult. Granite for example don't move but reflects. Wood don't move but absorbs.

Finished product.

Mike.......Some racks are affordable, some are not.

Now, how long did it take you to see the shark?
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Is it me or are we lacking some symmetry there? The (her) left seems like he is trying to escape his confinement. That will probably hurt with resonance absorption.

Kev.......Is that lumber going to build a rack large enough to display and support all your existing gear in your photo above?
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

I've been asked that before Dan, apparently it's the application, stay tuned

Now here's a lass that applies herself....

Kev...That's a heavy duty rack in the making, Aussie style!

AUSTRALIA has some unique timbers. Aussie reds have to be one of the toughest.

I also love the Tasmanian Tigerwoods...

Speakeasy

It seems to be the male condition. The word Rack conjures up a number of mental images. We like racks. So, just how many racks are there?

Audio rack

Record Rack

Female rack

Deer Rack

Roof rack

Car rack

Dish rack

Rib rack

Pool rack

Hat rack

Torture rack

Clothes rack

Tire rack

Female rack

Damn it, a duplication. Can't trust anyone. Well you get the picture. We are the rack loving gender. You won't get an apology from me.
    Dan

^^^^ Lol

Speakeasy

I like it Dan, Interesting how a man's mind goes right for that nursing instinct as a first choice when racks are mentioned.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Thanks Dan, the rack is coming along nicely in my spare time. Each length of timber gets a 9 step process:
    1. Sand timber down with 40 grit belt sander rounding all sharp edges and diverts/holes as it is recycled timber.
    2. Sand timber down with 80 grit belt sander with the grain & remove excess splintering.
    3. Sand timber down with 120 grit orbital sander.
    4. Apply danish oil liberally with paint brush & let dry.
    5. Apply danish oil liberally with rag & lots of elbow grease too & left to dry.
    6. Sand with 240 grit orbital sander & wipe down with rag dampened with danish oil to remove dust.
    7. Apply bees wax with a rag evenly & leave to cure overnight.
    8. Buff all finished timber with lambs wool buffer on orbital sander.
    9. Take lots of photos of finished & assembled rack & post on this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by bzr View Post
    Thanks Dan, the rack is coming along nicely in my spare time. Each length of timber gets a 9 step process:
    1. Sand timber down with 40 grit belt sander rounding all sharp edges and diverts/holes as it is recycled timber.
    2. Sand timber down with 80 grit belt sander with the grain & remove excess splintering.
    3. Sand timber down with 120 grit orbital sander.
    4. Apply danish oil liberally with paint brush & let dry.
    5. Apply danish oil liberally with rag & lots of elbow grease too & left to dry.
    6. Sand with 240 grit orbital sander & wipe down with rag dampened with danish oil to remove dust.
    7. Apply bees wax with a rag evenly & leave to cure overnight.
    8. Buff all finished timber with lambs wool buffer on orbital sander.
    9. Take lots of photos of finished & assembled rack & post on this topic.
    Do you do 5 yourself or have one of the racks in the photo do that job?

I just get left to dry!

Righto then.....
    [URL=http://s1096.photobucket.com/user/_bzr_/media/IMG_2008_zpsv2crggg8.jpg.html][/URL[URL=http://s1096.photobucket.com/user/_bzr_/media/IMG_2010_zpsjwylabhj.jpg.html][/URL[URL=http://s1096.photobucket.com/user/_bzr_/media/IMG_2012_zpsiewexscf.jpg.html][/URL

Audioshark

Looking good Kev. One suggestion: I would try moving the amps to the floor (on amp stands, perhaps with Stillpoints underneath the amps). Move everything on the shelves down a level. Rearrange a little. Remove the top two pieces of shelving. That should help with some soundstaging. You may find the height of the equipment rack causes too much diffusion. But if not, then rock on.

Looks good.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Kev.......That rack turned out looking great.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Looking good Kev. One suggestion: I would try moving the amps to the floor (on amp stands, perhaps with Stillpoints underneath the amps). Move everything on the shelves down a level. Rearrange a little. Remove the top two pieces of shelving. That should help with some soundstaging. You may find the height of the equipment rack causes too much diffusion. But if not, then rock on.

Looks good.
    Yeah I'm hearing ya. trouble is it's not my house so I can't put the tv on the wall. The choice of timber was the main reason for the rack, it is a seriously hard wood, so the amps are on stillpoints but stay on the wood. The tv is shocking for the soundstage but it is a lot better than before I started.

[QUOTE=Double-D;172108]Kev.......That rack turned out look great.

Thanks Dan, am pretty happy with the way it turned out.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Set of racks