Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

T+A DAC 8 DSD review

Okay, you have to deal with the German translation, but it gives you a good idea. It has been a long wait for the stock coming to North America, but we should have ours in about a week. Very excited to get this piece in! PCM and DSD processing are kept completely separate. It also has separate power supplies for digital and analogue sections and has a high quality analogue volume control for driving amps directly. The word out there so far is that the DSD capabilities of this DAC are supposed to be amongst the best, if not the best on the market. People on Computer Audiophile are raving about PCM upscaled to 512 DSD via HQplayer with this DAC. It certainly should be interesting.

https://translate.googleusercontent....Oj89cUZG01A30w

Attached Images Attached Images
    Everest Audio
    www.everestaudio.com
    Facebook

bel canto, Hegel, Vimberg, Opera, MoFi, Acoustic Energy, JL Audio, Innuos, Vertere, Meze Audio, Origin Live, GutWire, Wireworld, Furutech, IsoAcoustics and more

Re: T+A DAC 8 DSD review

I've been hearing some good things about this DAC, does anyone here actually own it.

Mike you carry this brand correct ?

My question is how it might compare side by side with a Lampi Level 4 , PCM and DSD. I have read for PCM the T&A does a nice job, but with DSD the Level 4 takes a slight led. Anyone
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    I've been hearing some good things about this DAC, does anyone here actually own it.

My question is how it might compare side by side with a Lampi Level 4 , PCM and DSD. I have read for PCM the T&A does a nice job, but with DSD the Level 4 takes a slight led. Anyone
    Yes I carry T+A. It's a well respected brand in Europe, but not a lot of love over here. The DAC8 is similar to my T+A PDP3000HV.

I have not heard the Lampi 4, so I can't compare. If you want, I have that balanced Lampi Lite7 you can borrow. It's awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Yes I carry T+A. It's a well respected brand in Europe, but not a lot of love over here. The DAC8 is similar to my T+A PDP3000HV.

I have not heard the Lampi 4, so I can't compare. If you want, I have that balanced Lampi Lite7 you can borrow. It's awesome.

The Lampi with those tubes standing up, will not fit in my space. But thank you Mike for the offer.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Audioshark

The Lampi with those tubes standing up, will not fit in my space. But thank you Mike for the offer.
    Fair enough. Would the Lampi 4 fit?

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Fair enough. Would the Lampi 4 fit?

oh yes anything under 6"

I bought the DAC8 DSD at the Newport show. Shows it will deliver tomorrow. I will keep everyone posted.
    Marty

Aurender N20 / SonicTransporter i7 / Roon
    MSB Premier
    Constellation Inspiration Preamp 1.0 / Mono 1.0
    Dynaudio Confidence 50 / SVS SB13 Ultra
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
    I bought the DAC8 DSD at the Newport show. Shows it will deliver tomorrow. I will keep everyone posted.
    Congrats! Looking forward to your impressions. Slick looking piece!

Hi, let me introduce myself. I have been active on the Computer Audiophile Forum under the moniker EuroDriver, and have been an evangelist for HQP Player doing PCM to DSD conversion for the best part of 2 years.

At last years success at Munich High End with a Lampi B7, Audiopax tube amps and Avantgarde Duo horns, Geoff Armstrong of Sound Galleries in Monaco egged me on to undertake a project to develop a SOTA computing platform for HQP Player to run on.

Well the Sound Galleries Music server team has been beavering away for 11 months, working with the Lampi b7 DSD128 and the Exasound E22 at DSD 256, and then 3 months ago, the T+A DAC 8 DSD capable of doing DSD 512 native dropped into our lap.

I don't think any of the German magazines have fed the DAC 8 DSD with a DSD 512 data stream, because they don't believe in format conversion of PCM to DSD and upsampling DSD 64 to DSD 512, and have not tried or tested HQ Player with the seriousness that this software deserves

Let me say that the T+A DAC 8 DSD fed by HQ Player running on an audiophile entry level Skylake i7 delivers a sonic playback realism that is surprisingly good, and a very significant step up from the previous generation of DSD 128 and 256 chip based DAC's

For us working on the SGM audiophile computing platform, the DAC 8 DSD has been Christmas, and 5 birthday presents rolled into one big gift. DSD 512 seems to magnify all of the improvements that we have been working on to reduce RF noise and improve computational timing.

The designer of the DAC 8 DSD is Lothar Wiemann, chief engineer for T+A. Lothar has been designing and testing DSD converters for the best part of 25 years. The DAC 8 DSD has Lothar's latest iteration of his discrete component 1 bit shift register DSD converter.

I have been told by Lothar and others, that one of the major drivers of good DSD playback is control of jitter. Lothar has gone to extra ordinary steps to get the two clocks (for 44.1 KHz and 48 KHz sample rate families) to run as jitter free as possible.

The next part of the clever and elegant design is Lothar's implementation of a 3rd order low pass filter using the circuit architecture of the shift register, no capacitors doing duty here in this critical analog stage

The third arrow of the design is the meticulous attention and measures to control and reduce ground plane noise.

Lothar says, that the tight tolerance of components he uses in this discrete implantation of this 1-bit convert design, can not be achieved with today's commercial chip making technology.

So that's my take on the buzz and glowing reports of the sound quality that this DAC is delivering, from entry level Skylake PC's to the 31 Kg Sound Galleries SGM 2015

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by eurodriver View Post
    Hi, let me introduce myself. I have been active on the Computer Audiophile Forum under the moniker EuroDriver, and have been an evangelist for HQP Player doing PCM to DSD conversion for the best part of 2 years.

At last years success at Munich High End with a Lampi B7, Audiopax tube amps and Avantgarde Duo horns, Geoff Armstrong of Sound Galleries in Monaco egged me on to undertake a project to develop a SOTA computing platform for HQP Player to run on.

Well the Sound Galleries Music server team has been beavering away for 11 months, working with the Lampi b7 DSD128 and the Exasound E22 at DSD 256, and then 3 months ago, the T+A DAC 8 DSD capable of doing DSD 512 native dropped into our lap.

I don't think any of the German magazines have fed the DAC 8 DSD with a DSD 512 data stream, because they don't believe in format conversion of PCM to DSD and upsampling DSD 64 to DSD 512, and have not tried or tested HQ Player with the seriousness that this software deserves

Let me say that the T+A DAC 8 DSD fed by HQ Player running on an audiophile entry level Skylake i7 delivers a sonic playback realism that is surprisingly good, and a very significant step up from the previous generation of DSD 128 and 256 chip based DAC's

For us working on the SGM audiophile computing platform, the DAC 8 DSD has been Christmas, and 5 birthday presents rolled into one big gift. DSD 512 seems to magnify all of the improvements that we have been working on to reduce RF noise and improve computational timing.

The designer of the DAC 8 DSD is Lothar Wiemann, chief engineer for T+A. Lothar has been designing and testing DSD converters for the best part of 25 years. The DAC 8 DSD has Lothar's latest iteration of his discrete component 1 bit shift register DSD converter.

I have been told by Lothar and others, that one of the major drivers of good DSD playback is control of jitter. Lothar has gone to extra ordinary steps to get the two clocks (for 44.1 KHz and 48 KHz sample rate families) to run as jitter free as possible.

The next part of the clever and elegant design is Lothar's implementation of a 3rd order low pass filter using the circuit architecture of the shift register, no capacitors doing duty here in this critical analog stage

The third arrow of the design is the meticulous attention and measures to control and reduce ground plane noise.

Lothar says, that the tight tolerance of components he uses in this discrete implantation of this 1-bit convert design, can not be achieved with today's commercial chip making technology.

So that's my take on the buzz and glowing reports of the sound quality that this DAC is delivering, from entry level Skylake PC's to the 31 Kg Sound Galleries SGM 2015
    Hi Ed, what took you so long to show up here???
    Welcome.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by eurodriver View Post

Welcome to the forum Ed! T+A is a terrific brand....it's unfortunate it doesn't get the traction it deserves here in the U.S.....but that may be changing. I own the T+A PDP 3000HV and it's a wonderful digital hub (which also does DSD512).

We're after two weeks of listening T+A DAC 8 DSD and ... this is one of the best DAC on the market.

Marcin

Can you say more? Description of its main sonic qualities/strengths/weaknesses?

Thx.
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

For me, I'd say the DAC is quite neutral in its tonal balance, but it is very detailed and engaging while remaining smooth at the same time. It has excellent dynamics and control and sounds very live and realistic. As a comparison, something like the Bel Canto DAC3.7 will come across as more relaxed and laidback with a hint of warmth in comparison to the T+A DAC8 DSD. But that's the Bel Canto house sound whereas I'd say that the T+A is more neutral. I find that it does an excellent job of both PCM and DSD content, but admittedly, I don't have much DSD material and typically do not connect a DAC via USB as I prefer to not have a computer in my listening room. Another thing to note is that the volume control in the DAC8 DSD works very well for driving an amp directly via the DAC.
    Everest Audio
    www.everestaudio.com
    Facebook

bel canto, Hegel, Vimberg, Opera, MoFi, Acoustic Energy, JL Audio, Innuos, Vertere, Meze Audio, Origin Live, GutWire, Wireworld, Furutech, IsoAcoustics and more

T+A Dac 8 transformed my system. It is one of those rare component that lived up to the hype. Unfortunately, I am selling my entire system due to some financial circumstances. So, my practically brand new T+A Dac 8 is for sale.

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/6...urer-warranty/

I also have the wonderful Melody P2688 preamp in 9/10 condition. Very rare to come up for sale. I will post the classified soon

I am going to give a little different slant on the T&A DAC 8. For the money, it is an excellent DAC. I concur with those that believe the best sound is achieved upsampling to DSD512 with HQP.

My settings are poly-sinc-shrt-mp, ASDM5 bit rate limit 22579200, the T&A set to wide, a Falcon Northwest Tiki with an i7 6700K and Nvidia 1080 to do the heavy work and my CAPS with JCAT card both fed by Core Tech Kaia LPS as my NAA. So my setup is Roon-->HQP-->NAA with the above setup.

On my system, I find the sound very detailed fairly accurate timbre with pretty good transparency and imaging. Side to side imaging is very good yet front to back I find a little lacking but still better than most DACs I have heard. I was truly hoping I would love this DAC so much I would sell my MSB, pocket some cash and move on.

However, for me, it was not a choice. I still haven't heard a DAC I like more than my MSB Diamond Plus IV with Quad. Yes, IMHO, it is just that good (and should for the price). So I decided to upgrade to the Diamond V which is again remarkable. As good as the T&A is, for me, I can't go back and am now using it for my headphone rig which, IMHO, is significantly better than my HUGO/Mojo although I like the MOJO better than HUGO which I sold.

For reference my main system is ARC REF10-->ARC GS150-->Nola Concert Grand Gold REF using all Valhalla 2 cabling.

I can't say I have heard all DACs out there, but have had extensive listening with first edition Vivaldi, early MSB Analog (pre Quad and renderer) and have owned but no longer own PS Audio, ARC DAC8, EMM DAC2, Auralic Vega, Chord HUGO and now own an MSB Diamond V, Chord Mojo and T&A DAC 8. With the exception of the MSB and Vivaldi I would say the best DAC I have had in my system is the T&A. However, I would add the caveat that when I had the Analog I was using their older and not so great standard USB input which was good but not the revelatory change of their Quad USB input (and many claim the renderer to be better)

Quote Originally Posted by Priaptor View Post
    I can't say I have heard all DACs out there, but have had extensive listening with first edition Vivaldi, early MSB Analog (pre Quad and renderer) and have owned but no longer own PS Audio, ARC DAC8, EMM DAC2, Auralic Vega, Chord HUGO and now own an MSB Diamond V, Chord Mojo and T&A DAC 8. With the exception of the MSB and Vivaldi I would say the best DAC I have had in my system is the T&A. However, I would add the caveat that when I had the Analog I was using their older and not so great standard USB input which was good but not the revelatory change of their Quad USB input (and many claim the renderer to be better)
    Is it the Dac 8 or the newly released Dac 8 DSD in your system?

Also, does anyone happened to have heard the old Dac 8 compared to the DSD version only playing PCM? Wonder if there is a big difference in SQ for PCM.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum poridge, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by poridge View Post
    Is it the Dac 8 or the newly released Dac 8 DSD in your system?

Also, does anyone happened to have heard the old Dac 8 compared to the DSD version only playing PCM? Wonder if there is a big difference in SQ for PCM.
    It's the new DSD version

Audioshark

http://www.stereophile.com/content/t...4QBJX2lzcFf.97

Unfortunately, it appears that the Stereophile review's test of the T+A DAC8 did not include the option of using HQPlayer to upsample to DSD512 - a configuration that many (including me) believe produces the best sound with the T+A

Rockport Lyra speakers; TotalDac Amp-1 mono blocks; four box CH Precision L1/X1 pre/power supply monos; CH precision P1/X1 phono/power supply; TotalDac d1-driver monos; Pacific Microsonics Model 2 DAC; TotalDac d1-12 MkII DAC with two reclockers; Kodo The Beat Turnatable with LT Schroder magnesium tonearm and Lyra Atlas cart; Taiko Extreme server; Kalista Dreamplayer CD Transport; Taiko Audio Daiza Platforms; Nordost Odin2 Power Cords and Analog ICs; 512 Engineering/Tim Marutani Balanced Transformers (30 amp for sources; 50 amp for amps); Rives designed dedicated room.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

T+A DAC 8 DSD review