Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Some Good Writing on Tubes vs Solid State

I found the short article below describing the salient differences between tubed and solid-state preamplifier designs to be very well-written and educational. I don't own any Audio Horizons products; in fact, I've never knowingly listened to any of their products. But as a former college professor who has marked thousands of essays, I will give the writing in their marketing material an A+...

Tubes versus Solid StateTubes versus Solid State

One of the oldest debates in high end audio is between the proponents of tube equipment and those committed to solid state designs. There are arguments to support each position.

Solid state equipment is hassle-free—there’s no need to replace tubes at periodic intervals; warm up time until reasonable performance is briefer than it is for tubes; and the component can be left on for long periods of time (and oddly, this will improve performance) without exhausting the finite life expectancy of tubes. More significant in terms of performance, solid state equipment has better S/N figures than can usually be achieved by tube equipment, in part because of the inherent residual noise level of tubes. Solid state equipment produces crisper edges, and thus sharper transients, because solid state IC’s and transistors have a faster decay time than tubes. Finally, far lower Harmonic Distortion figures can be reached with solid state equipment than can be reached by tube equipment, again in part because of the residual higher distortion levels of tubes. There are other areas, such as DynamicRange where solid state equipment again usually excels over tube equipment, but the first three produce the greatest challenge for tube designers.

At first glance, this is an impressive list of advantages, whose sonic effects would weigh in favor of solid state designs. But there are certain advantages that tube designs have over solid state designs that make the choice more complex.

Tubes produce a rounder, fuller sound than do solid state components. For many this adds a pleasing warmth and body to the music not easily achievable with solid state equipment. In addition, tubes are better able to capture those higher order harmonics that distinguish the reedy quality of an oboe from that of a clarinet, the resinous quality of a string bass from that of a drum bass, and the sound of a soprano’s breathy vocal chords better than solid state equipment. For tube aficionados, this too is a big plus. Finally, tubes, because of their inherently slower decay times, are better able to capture the musical rise and fall and ebb and flow of live music, which does not turn on and off the way solid state component parts do but instead flows imperceptibly from one rising or falling phrase into another. For many listeners, this slower decay time of tubes enhances the listener’s experience of the music—that is, the music sounds more musical and involving when played over tube equipment.

Must one choose between these two opposing excellences? The answer is no. If the designer is insightful and creative enough, he can minimize the shortcomings of tube equipment while still preserving their excellences. In effect, he can narrow and almost eliminate the advantages unique to solid state equipment.

Since Signal-to-Noise is among the two or three most critical parameters of sonic excellence—one can’t hear any micro-detail below the noise floor--a tube designer must first attempt to bridge the gap between solid state designs and tube designs in this critical area. Many tube designers achieve this narrowing by elaborate feedback circuits. While the use of feedback does lower the noise floor, the elaborate circuits required to do so complicate the signal path and thus introduce signal compression. Thus while they gain in reducing S/N, they lose in sonic openness and transparency. Joseph Chow avoids feedback entirely. But by virtue of his deep insight into materials and circuits he is able with his tube designs to achieve S/N levels that would do many solid state designers proud. For example the S/N for the Audio Horizons 2.3Sc at -115dBv, in balanced mode, it is -125 dBv.

As further illustration of Joseph’s ability to virtually eliminate this key sonic advantage of solid state designs, one need only note that often a manufacturer’s S/N levels are reported using higher than 1 volt output ratings (usually signaled by the abbreviation dBv), say 2 volts or 3 volts, but the S/N at 3 volts, for example, will be about -10 dB better than at 1 volt. Thus by using 3 volts output, the manufacturer is able to use a -10 dB lower S/N figure than he would if he used the generally agreed upon 1 volt standard. Some manufacturers call this marketing. In addition, sometimes the S/N figures on tube equipment are so poor they are not indicated at all in the website spec sheet.

By virtue of avoiding feedback and using a philosophy of classic design, Joseph is able to achieve the clear edges and fine transients characteristic of solid state designs. And by designing balanced geometry interconnects with carefully designed capacitance, whether using RCA or XLR jacks, Joseph is able to create tube designs that have clean but soft edges, that in a word, preserve all the excellences of tube design while achieving those common to solid state designs.

In essence, Joseph has created a tube preamplifier that weds the virtues of solid state design to those of tube design to create a superbly transparent sounding DAC.

The Audio Horizons TP 2.3Sc Design

The Audio Horizons TP 2.3 Stereo Preamplifier is a high end tube preamplifier boasting specifications found only in preamplifiers costing two to five times as much. We invite you to compare our confirmed specifications with those published by other manufacturers of high end tube preamplifiers. Then we invite you to audition the TP 2.3Sc.

But while this extensive list describes some of the features that contribute to the TP 2.3Sc’s superb performance, they do not fully explain it. To truly understand how Joseph Chow has managed to achieve spectacular performance at a relatively modest cost, we have to spend a moment explaining how Joseph Chow’s classic design philosophy differs from typical audio design philosophy.

Most of us are aware of the well-known division among audiophile designers between those who prefer solid state designs and those who prefer tube designs, but few are aware of other deep divisions. The most important of these is between two audio electronic design philosophies--between those who seek to prune away as severely as possible the materials and circuitry used (who, for example, when designing a preamplifier have as their ideal, “a straight line with gain”).

Opposed to these minimalist designers are those who seek to overcome the inherent limitations of the materials used by elaborating circuits and feedback. These designers seem wed to complex circuitries. For purposes of this discussion, we will call designs of severe simplicity, the school of simple design. The second group, which attempts to perfect designs via circuit complexity, we will call the school of exotic design. Most designers fall somewhere in between, but within the parameters of one or the other of these ruling philosophies.

Joseph Chow has chosen a third way of design, one neither simple nor exotic, but one which seeks instead to look deeply into the circuit function, the materials used in it, and the sonic goals to be achieved. By analyzing these, especially the inherent sonic characteristics of the materials and components at every stage, Joseph Chow seeks neither to eliminate components, as those in the simple design school do, nor to compensate for them, as those in the exotic design school do. Instead, he seeks to harmonize the inherent characteristics of materials with the circuit design itself. This search for harmony between the materials used and their function within the overall architecture is what defines and distinguishes Audio Horizon design. The focus is always on the sound characteristics inherent in the materials themselves and, given their characteristics, to achieve at an affordable price the highest quality sound possible.

The Audio Horizons designer looks as deeply as possible into the circuit path, and into the sound characteristics of the materials and components used, and he does this at the smallest level possible. His search for distortion and noise at the minutest circuit and material level begins, first, with a desire to eliminate all spurious noise and, second, with a respect for the importance of Q [defined as the “quality factor of an inductor or capacitor. It is the ratio of a component’s reactance ... to its effective series resistance” Dictionary of Electronics].”

We seek to lower noise because only by lowering noise are the sonic characteristics of individual components revealed. No designer, no matter how fine his ear, can improve a design below the noise level, for at that level he cannot hear the difference between one component make or value and another, one circuit modification and another. Low noise permits the designer to hear more clearly the very fine sonic differences small component changes and slight circuit modifications make.

Typical of Audio Horizon’s attention to the smallest detail, the designer has specified that the input jacks be Teflon insulated because the Teflon reduces signal loss, and because it has a high Q.

In addition to a focus on high Q, Audio Horizons’ classic design leads it to eliminate all spurious, little used features, ones that may add glamorous complexity and the appearance of quality to the product, but yield no sonic improvement and in fact present design problems of their own. This is in keeping with Audio Horizons’ desire to keep distortion, the noise level, and costs as low as possible at every stage. Thus, as part of his desire for a classic line, at every stage the Audio Horizons designer seeks to keep the signal as clean as possible with the minimum number of parts. If three parts, however, will yield a cleaner signal than one part, without altering or degrading the signal, then three parts is both theoretically and sonically the minimum number of parts required.

Throughout the circuit, noise and distortion are reduced by providing clean, high Q signal paths that make the signal timing more accurate and lifelike.

From http://www.audio-horizons.com/pages/pre.html
    Magico M2
    AMG V12 (Teatro cart)
    Lampizator Atlantic Plus DSD512
    Aesthetix Calypso Signature Preamp
    Luxman C-900u Preamp
    Auorasound VIDA (phono-stage)
    Parasound JC 1+ monos
    Aurender N100h
    Nordost Frey 2
    HRS, Rix Rax

Re: Some Good Writing on Tubes vs Solid State

I have a fully factory modded Audio Horizons balanced, tube rectified preamp. It replaced an Aesthetix Calypso and was a considerable upgrade.
    Much quieter, more dynamic and a wide deep soundstage. While there are any number of good preamps out there, the value of Joseph Chows is off the charts. Highly recommended in and above it's price point.
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Cables & Tubes "subject to change without notification".
    Complete system on battery power/solar
    Core Audio Design Rack
    DIY bass traps and custom curved diffusors.

Interesting.

Also interesting to me: as I repaired my DIY Single-Ended Triode, I have found it to have much faster transients than my SS amp which is a Panasonic using MOSFETs.

Quote Originally Posted by Yash View Post
    Interesting.

Also interesting to me: as I repaired my DIY Single-Ended Triode, I have found it to have much faster transients than my SS amp which is a Panasonic using MOSFETs.

Tubes can be extremely fast rise but slow decay. I think thats a real good thing.

i'm not a physicist or electrical engineer, but i found this article useful:

http://www.valveheart-bg.com/Why_tubes.html
    hifi:
    power: Audioplan Powerstar, Audioplan Finefilter, Audioplan Powerplant, Powercord
    tube amp: Jadis DA 50 Signature RC, Line Magnetic 508ia
    speaker: Living Voice Avatar 2
    turntable: Pro-Ject Xtension 10 + Ortofon Quintet Black MC
    phono stage: Remton 383 MKII
    cables: Audioplan Musicable bic 7a, Profigold, Wilbrand

home-cinema: Sony blu-ray, Yamaha rx v2700, Heco Metas 700 (4x), Heco center

Quote Originally Posted by FlexibleAudio View Post
    Tubes can be extremely fast rise but slow decay. I think thats a real good thing.
    tubes can operate at extremely high frequencies into the MHz. Kindly explain your theory regarding slow "decay." Exactly what do you mean by "decay."

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Some Good Writing on Tubes vs Solid State