Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 19242526272829303132 LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,450 of 1552

Thread: MQA Discussion

Re: MQA Discussion

Final nail in what?
    DeVore O96 / Leben CS600X / Rossini DAC & HiFi Rose 150B / Gigafoil v4 w/ Keces P3 /Denali 6000S
    Technics 1200G with EMT TSD15N, A23 Hommage T2 SUT, Leben RS30EQ, A23 interconnects

If you're referring to Hi-Rez beating out MQA, then sure, it's a possibility. The other issue is that this is bad for Tidal and HDTracks as this is both of those sites combined into one.

Also, no mention if they're going to be compatible with Roon, or if they support MQA.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tone View Post
    The final nail?

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...coming-america

There will be several levels of service and we’re planning a soft launch at CEDIA Expo in September and coming full force as the official streaming partner at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in October.
    Ref System: Wilson Alexx on Stillpoint Ultras w/Base, dCS Rossini & Upsampler & Clock, Audio Research REF 160S, REF 6SE, WW Platinum Everywhere, Roon
    Office System: B&W N802D2, NAD M10
    Living Room System: B&W N804D, NAD M10, Velodyne DD+10
    Bedroom: Dynaudio Focus 160, NAD M10, Velodyne DD+10

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by radioactive View Post
    If you're referring to Hi-Rez beating out MQA, then sure, it's a possibility. The other issue is that this is bad for Tidal and HDTracks as this is both of those sites combined into one.

Also, no mention if they're going to be compatible with Roon, or if they support MQA.
    Issue? Qobuz purchasing price for HD content when on Sublime+ will be closer to MP3 prices not the rather expensive HDTracks pricing.

Danny from Roon mentioned yesterday on their forums that they are currently talking to Qobuz. In the link above Qobuz takes a shot at MQA saying no special hardware required and fully unfolded, you can read between the lines.

Audioshark

https://youtu.be/drv9ESli5yI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Audioshark

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Oppo just released a firmware upgrade for the Oppo 205 that allows the 205 to fully decode MQA. And it is free!

Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    Oppo just released a firmware upgrade for the Oppo 205 that allows the 205 to fully decode MQA. And it is free!
    That actually took place back in Nov of last year and yep free. . Oppo UDP-205
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

MQA Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    That actually took place back in Nov of last year. Oppo UDP-205
    The upgrade from last year allowed you to play physical MQA discs or MQA digital files. It did not allow you to do the full decode of streamed files like those from Tidal. The latest firmware (released on 6/29/18) now allows you to do that.

Chris

This was a new more comprehensive update for the USB input dated 6/29.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Chris

This was a new more comprehensive update for the USB input dated 6/29.
    I see, Hey thanks for the information , thats really good news.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

I see, Hey thanks for the information , thats really good news.

I didn't know this but you can now stream Tidal MQA from a computer connected into the USB DAC. Now that is pretty cool for the 205. I just wish they would have opened up streaming via Tidal internally to the 205 like my 105 will do.

What I got from OPPO today after nic and Jack provided the info.

Chris,

The player can now decode MQA via the USB DAC input. You will be able to stream Tidal MQA from a computer connected into the USB DAC.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
    OPPO Digital, Inc.
    162 Constitution Dr.
    Menlo Park, CA 94025

I think the Tidal app woud do you no good if you want MQA? Other than by using Roon, I think you still need to use the Tidal desktop (i.e., computer) app to get MQA?
    Rob
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;
    Adona rack, ​​​​​Stillpoints, IsoPods, ASC, GIK Acoustics accessories

Say you have a computer connected to the Oppo 205’s USB Audio input. If you run Tidal in the computer and send the Tidal MQA output via that USB connection, then the Oppo 205 will do a full MQA decode.

You have to be connected to the Oppo via the USB Audio connector for it to decode the Tidal MQA track.

EXOGAL Audio announced that they are ceasing development of MQA for inclusion in EXOGAL products.

June 22, 2018. Said Jeff Haagenstad, CEO of EXOGAL: "We have been evaluating MQA technology and watching the wider MQA ecosystem since early 2016. After much research on the fundamental technology and more importantly on the market demand for MQA, we have reached the decision to cease the pursuit of adding MQA to our products for several reasons:

• Our products by themselves exceed the performance of our products with the inclusion of MQA,
    • Regardless of the breathless hype by the audio press, actual consumer demand is just not there.
    • Regardless of the announced support from record labels, a suitable base of playable content is not widely available.
    • As for the technical details of our evaluation of the technology vis á vis our own technology, we prefer not to violate our NDA’s with MQA and Meridian.
    • Much like Wadia's technology before us, EXOGAL technology is already oriented in the time domain and does not suffer from the time-smearing effect which MQA is supposed to eliminate.

Suffice it to say we were never able to achieve the advertised level of performance using the MQA technology and thus it does not meet our standards for inclusion in our products. Many experts outside of our company have articulately made the case against MQA and we see no reason to elaborate or comment on those findings."

“We will continue to watch the market evolve but for now, we are out of the MQA game.”

Link:
    https://positive-feedback.com/indust...a-development/
    Simaudio Moon Neo 260 DT CD Transport / MIT SL-Matrix Plus AES/EBU digital cable / Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC / Octave HP 700 preamp / Octave RE 320 stereo amp with Super Black Box / Reference 3A Reflector monitors on Sound Anchors Signature Stands / dual JL Audio Fathom 112 v2 subwoofers on ASC SubTraps / ZenWave Audio D4 and SMSG cables / Acoustic treatment: tube traps, Tri-panels, window plugs, ceiling diffusers (all ASC), large absorbing panels (Acoustics First), diverse carpets chosen for acoustic properties: wool, polypropylene basket-weave

Quote Originally Posted by Al M. View Post

• Regardless of the announced support from record labels, a suitable base of playable content is not widely available.

I find the above statement curious considering that Exogal’s DACs have DSD capability. I wonder if Exogal will reconsider if MGA content approaches the level of DSD content in the marketplace.
    Anthony
    Analog: VPI Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

Digital: Antipodes CX (Oladra Upgrade)> Cary DMS-600 DAC/Streamer---->
    ...........Cary 306 SACD Professional Disc Player---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

Quote Originally Posted by asindc View Post
    I find the above statement curious considering that Exogal’s DACs have DSD capability. I wonder if Exogal will reconsider if MGA content approaches the level of DSD content in the marketplace.
    If the database at DSD-Guide is accurate, there are already more MQA albums available than DSD. So I doubt that will have any impact on Exogal's decisions. Then again who cares what Exogal does when the arguably the two best DAC manufacturers (MSB and dCS) are all in.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

The EXOGAL press release sounded more like an excuse to cover their inability to successfully implement MQA. Just like Berkley's excuse for not implementing DSD.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    If the database at DSD-Guide is accurate, there are already more MQA albums available than DSD. So I doubt that will have any impact on Exogal's decisions. Then again who cares what Exogal does when the arguably the two best DAC manufacturers (MSB and dCS) are all in.
    As well as Berkeley. I agree, which made that particular statement curious to me. I’d like to hear them elaborate on that.
    Anthony
    Analog: VPI Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    The EXOGAL press release sounded more like an excuse to cover their inability to successfully implement MQA. Just like Berkley's excuse for not implementing DSD.
    To be fair to Berkeley, no one (aside from maybe dCS and MSB) has successfully implemented DSD and PCM in the same DAC without compromising the sound quality and/or usability of one if not both.
    Anthony

Audioshark

https://youtu.be/-EWUiqW5hcM?list=PL...rVvQi7-dW7gm9o

Audioshark

The latest list:

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/MQA...SecrlDPnCCIx_Q

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    The latest list:

https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/MQA...SecrlDPnCCIx_Q

10,432 titles in 2017, 832 in 2018 thus far. I sense a trend here...
    Simaudio Moon Neo 260 DT CD Transport / MIT SL-Matrix Plus AES/EBU digital cable / Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC / Octave HP 700 preamp / Octave RE 320 stereo amp with Super Black Box / Reference 3A Reflector monitors on Sound Anchors Signature Stands / dual JL Audio Fathom 112 v2 subwoofers on ASC SubTraps / ZenWave Audio D4 and SMSG cables / Acoustic treatment: tube traps, Tri-panels, window plugs, ceiling diffusers (all ASC), large absorbing panels (Acoustics First), diverse carpets chosen for acoustic properties: wool, polypropylene basket-weave

To be fair to Berkeley, no one (aside from maybe dCS and MSB) has successfully implemented DSD and PCM in the same DAC without compromising the sound quality and/or usability of one if not both.
    Can't really argue that point since I only have an opinion, but my Lumin certainly seems to do a good job with both. Whether one would be better if the other wasn't implemented will have to remain one of life's mysteries.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Exactly. All the big DAC manufactures support and have announced support for MQA. EMM Labs even has support coming but, hasn't formally announced it yet.

The only big name DAC/Digital company that doesn't support it is Playback Designs. More so, that has probably something to with the SACD/DSD and DVD-Audio wars of back then.

I believe Bob Stuart and Meridian pushed DVD-Audio when SACD was trying to take off. But, we have even Sony supporting MQA on small portable players and other Japanese brands (TEAC/Esoteric) are now on board with MQA.

Audioshark

https://www.essential.com/audio?utm_...JpnGsValS2xG6S

Won't it prevent the phone from ringing???

Quote Originally Posted by mdp632 View Post
    Exactly. All the big DAC manufactures support and have announced support for MQA. EMM Labs even has support coming but, hasn't formally announced it yet.

The only big name DAC/Digital company that doesn't support it is Playback Designs. More so, that has probably something to with the SACD/DSD and DVD-Audio wars of back then.

I believe Bob Stuart and Meridian pushed DVD-Audio when SACD was trying to take off. But, we have even Sony supporting MQA on small portable players and other Japanese brands (TEAC/Esoteric) are now on board with MQA.
    Schiit also does not support MQA, for good reasons:

http://www.schiit.com/news/news/why-...supporting-mqa

Of course you may think Schiit is not a big name DAC/Digital company. Think twice: It certainly is big. Last year they sold 65,000 units of equipment, much of it DACs. That's much more than MSB or dCS sell, for sure.

Oh, and Linn doesn't support MQA either:

https://www.linn.co.uk/blog/mqa-is-bad-for-music

Ayre?

Of course you may think Schiit is not a big name DAC/Digital company. Think twice: It certainly is big. Last year they sold 65,000 units of equipment, much of it DACs. That's much more than MSB or dCS sell, for sure.

And Bose sells more than Magico and Wilson.
    Jim

Audioshark

And Bose sells more than Magico and Wilson.
    LOL.

If 65K is true, than I am thinking they are over $100MM - seems a little big for Audio

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

The majority of the units sold by Schitt are well under $1k so I doubt their total sales figures are anywhere near that high. The Yiggy is the highest price piece they sell.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    The majority of the units sold by Schitt are well under $1k so I doubt their total sales figures are anywhere near that high. The Yiggy is the highest price piece they sell.
    Yes, they sell tons of $ 100 DACs for example. I assume their revenue is more in the $ 10 to 15 million range. But they're still growing.

Audioshark

http://musically.com/2018/07/24/mqa-...tor=MusicREDEF

And the friggin biggest mystery to me is why Porshe teamed up with Bose in my 911. I am on the fence with MQA. It will not make lemonade out of lemons though.
    Venture Audio Grand Ultimate in Macassar Ebony, Thrax Dionysos pre, Thrax Tres mono's, Magnus MA-300 w/ MA-500 power supply, Stealth digital RCA, Acoustic Zen Absolute Silver pc's, Prana Wire Cosmos sp. cables, LG 65" OLED, ModWright modified Oppo 103D(transport), Reference Line Stage power conditioner, SME 20-2w/ Graham 2.2 tonearm, Ortofon Windfeld, Canary Audio MC10, PranaWire Linebacker, Luxman D-08 cd/sacd/dac.

Quote Originally Posted by MarinJim View Post
    And the friggin biggest mystery to me is why Porshe teamed up with Bose in my 911. I am on the fence with MQA. It will not make lemonade out of lemons though.
    To induce you to upgrade to the Burmester, of course.
    Anthony

To induce you to upgrade to the Burmester, of course.
    Although from many Internet comments, there is minimal difference in the sound; supposedly the electronics are the same, only the speakers different, and except for the tweeters not that different. There are some owners who report a worthwhile and relatively inexpensive improvement replacing the Bose tweeters with the Burmester ones
    Rob
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;

Quote Originally Posted by rbbert View Post
    Although from many Internet comments, there is minimal difference in the sound; supposedly the electronics are the same, only the speakers different, and except for the tweeters not that different. There are some owners who report a worthwhile and relatively inexpensive improvement replacing the Bose tweeters with the Burmester ones
    I look at it this way. When purchasing a Porsche that has the $4,000 upgrade to the Burmester Surround Sound-System from a Bose I say, hell I'm paying over $100k for this car, why not.

I look at it this way. When purchasing a Porsche that has the $4,000 upgrade to the Burmester Surround Sound-System from a Bose I say, hell I'm paying over $100k for this car, why not.
    As I never listen to music in my car. No need to upgrade the stereo just for news radio, NPR or sports radio.
    Jim

As I never listen to music in my car. No need to upgrade the stereo just for news radio, NPR or sports radio.
    Who listens to depressing news or sports radio in a car. I just listen to music on long drives.

I can't read 144 pages. Did this get resolved? Hahaaaa

Hey Mike, you should post a couple Quick poles. MQA yes or no. Upsample, yes or no. Maybe a spot to enter the digital setup with the answer. Might be interesting to see if there are trends to equipment and what people think sounds good on it.
    First Sound Mark3SI preamp. Audion Black Shadow 845 SET Monoblocks. Mojo Audio Deja Vu Server. Mojo Audio Mystic 3 DAC. Linear Solution Ethernet Switch. Gigafoil with LPS. STST Motus II TT with Vertere SG1 arm, Hana ML Cartridge, Allnic H1201 phono pre. Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Horn speakers with Mundord Supreme oil caps. Power via 10 awg Oyaide cable from panel to custom distribution strip feeding front end. Oyaide dedicated10 AWG branch circuits from panel to each amp. Inakustik speaker and interconnect cables, Genesis Interconnect.
    Kingrexelectric.com Lyncole certified grounding specialist.

Who listens to depressing news or sports radio in a car. I just listen to music on long drives.
    I love to listen to music when I drive my 997 CS, and my 540i (full custom Focal K2 set-up and 2,000 blissful watts). My music tase is very different from my cars to my a/v room. The former is "let's rock on!" to the latter which is more jazz to Americana.
    Venture Audio Grand Ultimate in Macassar Ebony, Thrax Dionysos pre, Thrax Tres mono's, Magnus MA-300 w/ MA-500 power supply, Stealth digital RCA, Acoustic Zen Absolute Silver pc's, Prana Wire Cosmos sp. cables, LG 65" OLED, ModWright modified Oppo 103D(transport), Reference Line Stage power conditioner, SME 20-2w/ Graham 2.2 tonearm, Ortofon Windfeld, Canary Audio MC10, PranaWire Linebacker, Luxman D-08 cd/sacd/dac.

MQA Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by MarinJim View Post
    I love to listen to music when I drive my 997 CS, and my 540i (full custom Focal K2 set-up and 2,000 blissful watts). My music tase is very different from my cars to my a/v room. The former is "let's rock on!" to the latter which is more jazz to Americana.
    P-cars for years were not known for being very advanced from the standpoint of audio systems. I recall having to use a very old iPod stuck in the glove compartment to listen to not very good quality music. I bet that the BMW has a much better sound system.

They are both custom install now. If I have a $85K car, I better have a commensurate audio system.

You have to spend quite a few thousand to get the premium sound in any good car. But more important in my mind is not how good is tthe stereo, how damped is the tire hum off the road.
    First Sound Mark3SI preamp. Audion Black Shadow 845 SET Monoblocks. Mojo Audio Deja Vu Server. Mojo Audio Mystic 3 DAC. Linear Solution Ethernet Switch. Gigafoil with LPS. STST Motus II TT with Vertere SG1 arm, Hana ML Cartridge, Allnic H1201 phono pre. Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Horn speakers with Mundord Supreme oil caps. Power via 10 awg Oyaide cable from panel to custom distribution strip feeding front end. Oyaide dedicated10 AWG branch circuits from panel to each amp. Inakustik speaker and interconnect cables, Genesis Interconnect.
    Kingrexelectric.com Lyncole certified grounding specialist.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingrex View Post
    You have to spend quite a few thousand to get the premium sound in any good car. But more important in my mind is not how good is tthe stereo, how damped is the tire hum off the road.
    Not sure I will be listening to music while driving off a hard road and while driving off the road, you are not going to hear the tire hum anyway. . I'm usually more worried about the sand, rocks, getting stuck, trees etcc. than listening to music . Maybe you meant something else. Like tire hum ON the paved road.

Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Audioshark

Thanks for posting. Here is a summary someone wrote on the article:

“Timing is of the essence.

The digitization process results in a mirror image with an inverted sideband beyond the Nyquist point.

This 'negative' image must be filtered out from the reconstructed analog form. Even if it is well beyond the sonic range of human perception.

Having a sampling rate of 44.1KHz limits the waveform maximum frequency to be recorded to half the sampling rate which corresponds to 22.05 KHz maximum.

Way before that point, the ultrasonic sidebands must be filtered out.

Having such a steep 'brickwall' filter causes aberrations to the signal. These are termed ringing or echoes before and after the cutoff point.

Natural echoes occur after a signal. However when converted back from digital to analog via the Digital to Analog Converter (DAC) these ringing echoes also occur symmetrically before the moment the signal pulse happens. This causes a coloration to the reconstructed sound.

This phenomenon can me mitigated by sampling at higher frequencies thus requiring a much 'better sounding' gentle filter for the ultrasonic frequencies components.

Thus timing is everything, in the Universe and also audio.

Takeaway: higher sampling rates sound better, due to the shifting of this Nyquist number way above human hearing bandwidth thus requiring less brickwall filters with a gentler slope to achieve the same results, with better (or less perceptible) audible ringing artifacts.

Excerpt:
    In natural sound, echoes always occur after a sound—never before. This pre-echo is therefore unnatural; and while a continuous waveform will be reconstructed correctly, it is possible that the pre-echo might well be heard as a degradation with a discontinuous waveform, such as musical transients (see later).”

The end of the article (discussing playback of files encoded with the Ayre ADC) would seem to indicate that as far as sound quality alone is concerned, MQA is unnecessary; correct timing can be preserved through the recording chain without its compression or proprietary processing.
    Rob

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by rbbert View Post
    The end of the article (discussing playback of files encoded with the Ayre ADC) would seem to indicate that as far as sound quality alone is concerned, MQA is unnecessary; correct timing can be preserved through the recording chain without its compression or proprietary processing.
    Correct, but it wasn’t being done effectively until MQA came along.

Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 19242526272829303132 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

MQA Discussion