Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: MQA Discussion

Re: MQA Discussion

Did the BSG qol signal completion stage ever get a bad review?
    Rob
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;
    Adona rack, ​​​​​Stillpoints, IsoPods, ASC, GIK Acoustics accessories

Another believer...someone should tell Kurt Lassen that light making him happy is also known as operant conditioning

That said, SS's Absolute Sound article (http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...na-show-report) resonated when he mentioned that there is a concern about the provenance of hi-rez audio these days. I often purchase something from HDTracks or on of the other sites and listen and ask myself if what I'm hearing isn't just upsampled Redbook. Quite often it doesn't sound better than the redbook on my Debussy at least. There are cases where I'm blown away (mostly by DSD though). The Brooklyn DAC looks interesting in that it supports MQA and is new-ish & relatively cheap (I can't believe I'm calling $2K relatively cheap), but all the same it's interesting.

Ref System: Wilson Alexx on Stillpoint Ultras w/Base, dCS Rossini & Upsampler & Clock, Audio Research REF 160S, REF 6SE, WW Platinum Everywhere, Roon
    Office System: B&W N802D2, NAD M10
    Living Room System: B&W N804D, NAD M10, Velodyne DD+10
    Bedroom: Dynaudio Focus 160, NAD M10, Velodyne DD+10

Has anyone read the comments section at the bottom of the article on MQA at http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...the-threshold/ ?? The primary poster has a very interesting take on things to say the least (OMG)...
    Ref System: Wilson Alexx on Stillpoint Ultras w/Base, dCS Rossini & Upsampler & Clock, Audio Research REF 160S, REF 6SE, WW Platinum Everywhere, Roon

Quote Originally Posted by radioactive View Post
    Has anyone read the comments section at the bottom of the article on MQA at http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...the-threshold/ ?? The primary poster has a very interesting take on things to say the least (OMG)...
    Not much different than what has been posted here and elsewhere..
    Rob
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;

I discussed the AS MQA articles at length with an audiophile friend this weekend.

The marketing idea to promote MQA as the primary (only) delivery system for music is clearly smart. Perhaps if Sony had marketed hybrid SACD's as the single primary delivery music system and priced them as RBCD's, it may have become a mainstream rather than a niche product. But greed creeped into the equation.

But for sometime now Itunes, Tidal, Spotify and others have proven the masses mainly respond to cheap and portable low resolution music.

Recording producers may be drawn to the idea of a ubiquitous more mature single low bit rate recording system producing flac files with upgradeable SQ hardware options. But unless MQA can reduce current low resolution production and distribution costs, existing low resolution file formats are likely to remain preeminent.

The licensing fees for technology required to carry MQA encoded music would surely be passed on to all music consumers of this new single format. That's a major deterrent to MQA flac files becoming the defacto standard.

MQA will likely appeal only to those of us interested in pursuing the best SQ. So we're really discussing yet another niche product designed to sell new hardware and software. Are we really going to replace our existing DAC's, DSD and PCM digital files, and SACD's, with yet another album?
    Acoustic Frontiers Acoustic Design media room; Raidho D3; Boulder 1160; JL Audio F212v2; EMM Labs DV2; EMM Labs XDS1v2 (transport); JL Audio CR-1; Ansuz Mainz8 D-TC; Solidtech ROS; Nordost & Ansuz cabling & resonance control.
    http://systems.audiogon.com/systems/5013

Quote Originally Posted by LenWhite View Post
    MQA will likely appeal only to those of us interested in pursuing the best SQ. So we're really discussing yet another niche product designed to sell new hardware and software. Are we really going to replace our existing DAC's, DSD and PCM digital files, and SACD's, with yet another album?
    Why would we replace all of our existing files with MQA files. We didn't do that when the first hi-rez files came out, we didn't do that when DSD files began showing up on some sites. MQA will just be another option for improved SQ for us to choose from.

I am hoping that Tidal does come thru and provide MQA titles for us to hear. My CD purchases have been cut by over half due to Tidal's quality. I no longer purchase those marginal discs. I just "add" them to my library and if I find they are keepers, I go out and purchase the CD.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    Why would we replace all of our existing files with MQA files. We didn't do that when the first hi-rez files came out, we didn't do that when DSD files began showing up on some sites. MQA will just be another option for improved SQ for us to choose from.
    I have to disagree with your statement above. I think many audiophiles will feel compelled to rebuy music they already have for the same reason they did with DSD and PCM discs and digital downloads; for the improved SQ. It's very likely many audiophiles have several copies of Miles Davis: Kind of Blue for instance.

I also think the intention of MQA is to replace the other hirez DSD and PCM formats we now have; not augment them.
    Acoustic Frontiers Acoustic Design media room; Raidho D3; Boulder 1160; JL Audio F212v2; EMM Labs DV2; EMM Labs XDS1v2 (transport); JL Audio CR-1; Ansuz Mainz8 D-TC; Solidtech ROS; Nordost & Ansuz cabling & resonance control.

I guess it is debatable about the improved sound quality. So far from what I am seeing, reading all the reports here and in The Absolute Sound it appears as if the possible improvement are dependent on having the right equipment, etc. I don't know about you, but I am going to guess that a vast majority of the potential people who might re-buy music will not be able to afford the Meridian level equipment. I mean $22k + for a CD player DAC.... really....

So therein lies the possible path ahead. If they are smart and generous with licensing, and try to get many/most other possible companies in then it might have a chance. If they pull the typical Sony type of move and hold it to themselves (without having the Sony type power) then it will go down in flames...
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    I guess it is debatable about the improved sound quality. So far from what I am seeing, reading all the reports here and in The Absolute Sound it appears as if the possible improvement are dependent on having the right equipment, etc. I don't know about you, but I am going to guess that a vast majority of the potential people who might re-buy music will not be able to afford the Meridian level equipment. I mean $22k + for a CD player DAC.... really....

So therein lies the possible path ahead. If they are smart and generous with licensing, and try to get many/most other possible companies in then it might have a chance. If they pull the typical Sony type of move and hold it to themselves (without having the Sony type power) then it will go down in flames...
    Randy those potential people who might re-buy music instead of buying Meridian equipment for $22k, they just might purchase a Meridian Explorer2 USB DAC which supports MQA for $300.00 to get the MQA benefit of the music which they like.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

From reading up on the Explorer2 it does not sound like it is nearly as good for other formats as the DACs that people probably already own. It also sounds like it is fairly minimal as MQA. Therefore the potential of experiencing MQA at the level as is described in The Absolute Sound article would require equipment of higher level. Otherwise you would be getting a cut back MQA which I doubt would be as good as a well done DSD. Therefore, getting many other companies on board, hopefully with hardware and software solutions will be critical to truly make MQA reach it's potential.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

From reading up on the Explorer2 it does not sound like it is nearly as good for other formats as the DACs that people probably already own. It also sounds like it is fairly minimal as MQA. Therefore the potential of experiencing MQA at the level as is described in The Absolute Sound article would require equipment of higher level. Otherwise you would be getting a cut back MQA which I doubt would be as good as a well done DSD. Therefore, getting many other companies on board, hopefully with hardware and software solutions will be critical to truly make MQA reach it's potential.
    It all depends on how far down the rabbit hole one wants to go chasing MQA. I'll wait to see how streaming sounds and if Lumin has an update to their Streamer. I think I'll just have to wait and see what the major record labels do before I make any decision and if the music is related to my likes,, but I'm for sure not making a decision based on a reviewer or an editor pushing $ 1 -22k plus dacs just to listen to MQA I want to hear it myself on my system or someones system I trust. But in the long haul, I'd rather purchase a new cartridge and enjoy all of my vinyl at least I own it.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Exactly... not at all interested in streaming. I prefer to own my music and use it on my various machines... I buy my CDs, SACDs, and Download files....

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I have to disagree with your statement above. I think many audiophiles will feel compelled to rebuy music they already have for the same reason they did with DSD and PCM discs and digital downloads; for the improved SQ. It's very likely many audiophiles have several copies of Miles Davis: Kind of Blue for instance.

I also think the intention of MQA is to replace the other hirez DSD and PCM formats we now have; not augment them.
    Those who feel compelled to repurchase a "significant" slice of their library because a new format comes out aren't audiophiles, they just want to collect music. Then what do I know, Kind of Blue is so boring I can't get thru one full listen.
    Jim

Hi Mike,

After reading RH's glowing review of the Meridian 808v6 in the latest TAS issue, I had to listen to it in my system. So I trundled down to a friendly local dealer and brought one home for a few days' audition.

Going direct to Bryston 28B SST2 monos and thence to VA The Music speakers, the sound of the 808v6 is staggeringly and spectacularly awesome!!! All your redbook CD's will sound like hi-res. Amazing but true.

If you can get one into your SOTA showroom system asap, you would know what I mean.

Regards.
    Jon.

Audioshark

Uh oh....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

[QUOTE=Mike;168177]Uh oh....

Mike,

Navigated to your Suncoast Audio website and just realised that you are not carrying the Meridian line.
    Yeah, big uh-oh....

J.

Audioshark

[QUOTE=j2020;168183]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Uh oh....

Mike,

Navigated to your Suncoast Audio website and just realised that you are not carrying the Meridian line.
    Yeah, big uh-oh....

J.
    Here's the poop: I met with them, and they insisted I buy their $80k speakers first. Have you heard those speakers? I'll bite my tongue and just say, not my cup of tea.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Have heard the 808v6 with their speakers in the showroom and the sound was nowhere near what I get at home with mine.
    And I always thought one has to go with an all-Meridian set-up for optimal performance.
    Still, you could beg or borrow from one of your audio colleagues in the business....
    The 808v6 simply begs to be listened to in your sota system.
    Listen and believe!

Downloaded MQA files from the 2L website and the verdict is in.
    All the MQA files are breathtakingly superior to the non-MQA versions.
    One MQA 96/24 file sounds better than the 192/24 non-MQA version.
    But even without considering hi-res with or without MQA, the 808v6 is brilliant on its own with redbook.

I am sending my 808 in to be upgraded to v6 when I head to Europe in a couple of weeks. It should be ready when we get back. Since I am jumping from v3 the upgrade includes new analog and digital cards, upgrading to the ID41 card and adding a linear power supply.
    Jim

Nice upgrade Jim.
    You are in for a treat! When i had my 808, a few years back i upgraded my v3 to v5 and it was well worth it. Going to v6 from v3 will be a big jump.

I am sending my 808 in to be upgraded to v6 when I head to Europe in a couple of weeks. It should be ready when we get back. Since I am jumping from v3 the upgrade includes new analog and digital cards, upgrading to the ID41 card and adding a linear power supply.
    Good for you! It would be interesting to see whether the 808v6 will be better with or without your wonderful D'Agostino preamp.
    Keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by j2020 View Post
    Good for you! It would be interesting to see whether the 808v6 will be better with or without your wonderful D'Agostino preamp.
    Keep us posted.
    I will be leaving the D'Agostino pre in the loop even though the 808's are pretty decent pre-amps too.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by tunes View Post
    Nice upgrade Jim.
    You are in for a treat! When i had my 808, a few years back i upgraded my v3 to v5 and it was well worth it. Going to v6 from v3 will be a big jump.

A friend also had his v3 upgraded to v5 awhile back and was very pleased. I had been holding off on the v6 upgrade trying to decide whether I was going to move from Sooloos to another option like dCs or MSB and moving to Roon. After auditioning those and several other alternatives I never walked away thinking I was missing much in comparison with my current set-up. This was especially true once you factor in the price of those products.
    Jim

Wow, that's some serious blasphemy on perhaps one of the best jazz albums ever. I get that it's also popular, but it also defined the mainstream and was nothing short of amazing, velvety goodness.

As for MQA, I've decided to boycott it based on principle. I don't care how good it sounds, there are just too many issues from the rights, proprietary IP, repurchase, etc etc. I'll wait until it either fails or in the future it becomes so mainstream that I don't have a choice but to adopt if it's the only format in existence (which I doubt will ever be the case). I've got better things to do with my hard earned money and my system is great the way it is playing back music as it is today.

Those who feel compelled to repurchase a "significant" slice of their library because a new format comes out aren't audiophiles, they just want to collect music. Then what do I know, Kind of Blue is so boring I can't get thru one full listen.

Jon, your post is more like an ad for the 808 than anything related to the topic of this thread. If you want to send a not to Mike you should just PM him rather than post off topic and advertise for Meridian.

Did you have anything to say that relates to MQA?

Hi Mike,

After reading RH's glowing review of the Meridian 808v6 in the latest TAS issue, I had to listen to it in my system. So I trundled down to a friendly local dealer and brought one home for a few days' audition.

Going direct to Bryston 28B SST2 monos and thence to VA The Music speakers, the sound of the 808v6 is staggeringly and spectacularly awesome!!! All your redbook CD's will sound like hi-res. Amazing but true.

If you can get one into your SOTA showroom system asap, you would know what I mean.

Regards.
    Jon.

Wow, that's some serious blasphemy on perhaps one of the best jazz albums ever. I get that it's also popular, but it also defined the mainstream and was nothing short of amazing, velvety goodness.

As for MQA, I've decided to boycott it based on principle. I don't care how good it sounds, there are just too many issues from the rights, proprietary IP, repurchase, etc etc. I'll wait until it either fails or in the future it becomes so mainstream that I don't have a choice but to adopt if it's the only format in existence (which I doubt will ever be the case). I've got better things to do with my hard earned money and my system is great the way it is playing back music as it is today.
    Well in my book Best Jazz album is about equivalent to Best Rap Album or Best Heavy Metal Album. They're way down on the list.
    Jim

Fair enough, like the saying goes, "there's a pot for every lid" am I right? I'm not very keen on either of those last two genres so I get where you're coming from. That said, wouldn't it be odd if the album that keeps getting remastered, converted, etc. and re-released was NWA's "Straight Outta Compton"? At least a larger community will sit through Miles. Pick your poison

Well in my book Best Jazz album is about equivalent to Best Rap Album or Best Heavy Metal Album. They're way down on the list.

I'm also planning on avoiding MQA unless there's no choice for new music material. In my case there may be a small chance my EMM Labs DAC will be offered a MQA firmware upgrade. But I doubt it given Ed Meitner's focus on DSD.

Unfortunately I think there is a chance MQA could become the defacto niche standard killing off current physical and digital download products (DSD, PCM).

I seriously doubt it will ever become "mainstream" as the masses, who listen with cell phones and PC's, will never pay for likely more costly MQA files over MP3.

I seriously doubt it will ever become "mainstream" as the masses will never pay for a more costly music file than MP3.
    The masses are moving away from physical media at an alarming rate. Streamed music from either free or paid subscriptions appears to be "mainstreams" medium of choice.
    Jim

[Not trying to start a flame here just want to have a discussion]

I don't argue with the statement that CD sales are dropping and that digital downloads are on the rise. All you have to do is notice that all the music stores are gone.

But I am a bit skeptical of the numbers on streaming. No one I know is using these services from home. What they're doing is streaming them from their work computers because the local radio stations suck and they can't get any sort of variety any other way. And most of them just use the trial or free versions. No one cares about the quality, and no one cares if it's MQA or anything else just as long as they can listen. And that's where I see this as a failure. For starters the customer data is bad, network bandwidth is on a rapid rise, current streaming codecs are already sufficiently low rate utilization, and more importantly their costs are fixed (no licensing fees on the rise and the technology is getting cheaper). MQA is 10 years too late to the game if it's intent is to revolutionize the streaming industry.

Some of you may be thinking, "hey, I pay for my streaming service of lossless audio from XXYZ service, what's he talking about?". But know that everyone on this forum is the minority when it comes to music consumption. We care about quality, the masses don't as is evidenced by MP3, bad streaming services and crappy satellite radio.

The masses are moving away from physical media at an alarming rate. Streamed music from either free or paid subscriptions appears to be "mainstreams" medium of choice.

I guess you don't pay much attention to this and other forums. Several of us stream some of our music through our main systems. In fact my two channel room and and occasionally via our whole home system are the only place I ever use Tidal. Additionally there are many on these sites who stream Spotify, Rhapsody, or Pandora via SonoS connected to their main systems. Audiophiles in general don't use these as their main source, but streaming is not just for the MP3 crowd as you suggest.

The difference between playing the same tracks off a server in your home or streamed via Tidal is very small and even if you could identify which is better in a A/B test, it is unlikely you could tell which was which if you were asked just walking into a room.

You keep railing against MQA when none of us are trying to get you to use it. For many of us it is just an another HQ alternative to Hi-Rez or DSD files.
    Jim

When I said no one I know, I meant no one I know personally. I don't know you from Adam. I also stand by my statement which is that no one on this site amounts to a hill of beans in terms of the population of those using streaming services. We are a minority if even that.

And if MQA is what you're looking for (an alternative to hi Rez or DSD) then Meridian would consider that a failure. They are targeting the masses not the niche audiophiles.

I guess you don't pay much attention to this and other forums. Several of us stream some of our music through our main systems. In fact my two channel room and and occasionally via our whole home system are the only place I ever use Tidal. Additionally there are many on these sites who stream Spotify, Rhapsody, or Pandora via SonoS connected to their main systems. Audiophiles in general don't use these as their main source, but streaming is not just for the MP3 crowd as you suggest.

The difference between playing the same tracks off a server in your home or streamed via Tidal is very small and even if you could identify which is better in a A/B test, it is unlikely you could tell which was which if you were asked just walking into a room.

You keep railing against MQA when none of us are trying to get you to use it. For many of us it is just an another HQ alternative to Hi-Rez or DSD files.

Downloaded MQA files from the 2L website and the verdict is in.
    All the MQA files are breathtakingly superior to the non-MQA versions.
    One MQA 96/24 file sounds better than the 192/24 non-MQA version.
    But even without considering hi-res with or without MQA, the 808v6 is brilliant on its own with redbook.
    Radioactive,
    All said and done about MQA in my very recent post.
    J.

Jon, your post is more like an ad for the 808 than anything related to the topic of this thread. If you want to send a not to Mike you should just PM him rather than post off topic and advertise for Meridian.

Did you have anything to say that relates to MQA?
    I don't know why you are going all nuclear. .. you gotta chill, man. This is just a hobby.
    BTW, I don't get paid ad dollars by Meridian. I am merely sharing my humble experience and opinion.
    Last edited by j2020; May 1, 2016 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Typo

Which is absolutely fantastic for you, however 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999% of music listeners can not, or if they could, will not pay over $20k for a disk player....

If they could offer this type of player in the $1000 range they might have a decent chance of getting a good part of the people who care about quality music... ala many of those who contribute to forums such as this one. The general public will not go for this system where they require an expensive DAC to play it back at quality when they can play their mp3 files almost anywhere. I work with these people, we all do. The one guy who listen to music all day long with a better than average player (in other words not a phone but a separate flac player) thinks that I am nuts paying $2k for a new pre-amp, for example.

If they think this is going to fly then they are seriously misjudging the market. For every person such as yourself who can afford a $20k spinner there are thousands upon thousand who care about good music who can not.

And their only other solution that they have mentioned is a cut back low end unit that has to be added into your system just to hear their files at above standard quality. And it is much much much lower grade than what everyone of these reviewers are testing the files with.

For this to actually be successful they have got to add full capabilities as in inexpensive add on, or better yet as a software capability such as Roon.

What is currently being shown will not fly in any way for the real music lover, let alone for the average user.

So unless they are offering a 808v6 level machine at an affordable range their new system will crash and burn before it ever gets out of the gate.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Audioshark

MQA tech will come in all shapes and sizes (and price points). Will be MOSTLY available on Tidal ("master level" streaming), etc.

I know I heard some amazing examples, but I'm in the "wait and see" camp.

Randy,
    Er, Merdian would not expect the 808v6 to be for the masses for sure. They also have a lower priced Explorer DAC below $500 but even that can't be for the masses.
    I agree that the 99.999---% out there will be happy with just Mp3 but I was just too excited about my discovery of the 808v6 and what it can do for redbook cd's that I posted here to share this transformational experience of mine. What it does with MQA is just an added bonus.
    I am very happy listening now to redbook and non-MQA hi-res and can very much do without MQA anyway.
    Last edited by j2020; May 2, 2016 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Typo

J,

I would love a Meridian, however it is not in the cards.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I'm not going nuclear, just voicing my opinion and trying to stick to the subject at hand. It's nice you got the 808, congrats, but it's not really germane to the subject that's all.

And it's nice you added in details on listening to MQA files, but your post was after the fact and very shallow on details.

I'm not going nuclear, just voicing my opinion and trying to stick to the subject at hand. It's nice you got the 808, congrats, but it's not really germane to the subject that's all.

And it's nice you added in details on listening to MQA files, but your post was after the fact and very shallow on details.

I guess I should not argue with the self-appointed forum police then.

Which is absolutely fantastic for you, however 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999% of music listeners can not, or if they could, will not pay over $20k for a disk player....

If they could offer this type of player in the $1000 range they might have a decent chance of getting a good part of the people who care about quality music... ala many of those who contribute to forums such as this one. The general public will not go for this system where they require an expensive DAC to play it back at quality when they can play their mp3 files almost anywhere. I work with these people, we all do. The one guy who listen to music all day long with a better than average player (in other words not a phone but a separate flac player) thinks that I am nuts paying $2k for a new pre-amp, for example.

If they think this is going to fly then they are seriously misjudging the market. For every person such as yourself who can afford a $20k spinner there are thousands upon thousand who care about good music who can not.

And their only other solution that they have mentioned is a cut back low end unit that has to be added into your system just to hear their files at above standard quality. And it is much much much lower grade than what everyone of these reviewers are testing the files with.

For this to actually be successful they have got to add full capabilities as in inexpensive add on, or better yet as a software capability such as Roon.

What is currently being shown will not fly in any way for the real music lover, let alone for the average user.

So unless they are offering a 808v6 level machine at an affordable range their new system will crash and burn before it ever gets out of the gate.
    Of course the long term viability MQA will not be decided by the masses who would never dream of spending the stupid amounts of money we allocate to this hobby. Hi-rez downloads, DSD files and LP's offered at $50 from Music Direct aren't targeted at them either. MQA will only succeed if the software rights owners decide to release sufficient product that cannot be readily "stolen" and redistributed in some unauthorized manner.

I have little doubt that within a short period of time the hardware/software required to play MQA files will fall within the same range as does the hardware required to play PCM, currently anywhere from $59 to $120,000.
    Jim

Sorry; I just came across, the Q&A...which is the OP of this thread. So I'm wayyy late, to the party.

But I just posted this elsewhere; so what the hell...I'll share here (and probably take more of my usual lumps, lol)

First of all...I admit; I have only skimmed, thus far. As I think others have noted; if you're going to read the whole thing...pack a lunch! My goodness; 83 questions and answers!!??

From my skim...this has very little chance, of getting traction. My initial impression...and I think this Q&A, makes it clear; almost no one, really understands...what the hell it is yet! But my initial impression...is that it was a different compression algorithm; that would allow hi-res streaming...without such a strain on high bandwidth. In other words...instead of TIDAL and others, offering true Redbook 16/44.1; and that being the ceiling...for now. MQA would allow existing hi-res...whether that be 24/44.1, 24/48, 24-96; to be streamed from pay services.

But I thought it could be used, with existing titles! Like take a 24-96 file, at the server end; encode and like "zip" it up, so that it would transport across standard, good bandwidth. Then...be "un-zipped" or decoded, by a compatible player; and Voila.

But if I understand this Q&A correctly...and again, I admit to only skimming it for now; it does kinda do that...but 1) only if the material is recorded with MQA, 2) only if the streaming services licenses MQA, and 3) (of course) only if you have an MQA-compatible decoder, on your end.

Yeah...good luck with that
    CD

DAC/Pre-amp - PSAudio DsJ > Power-amp - > Speakers - PMC TwentyFive 23s

And it's lossy compression...
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
    MQA would allow existing hi-res...whether that be 24/44.1, 24/48, 24-96; to be streamed from pay services.

But I thought it could be used, with existing titles! Like take a 24-96 file, at the server end; encode and like "zip" it up, so that it would transport across standard, good bandwidth. Then...be "un-zipped" or decoded, by a compatible player; and Voila.
    The compression ("folding") is not used with existing music files - this would not fit the MQA "end-to-end" description. The whole thing is meant to work together only with MQA processed sources. That's why both MQA and non-MQA versions of the same music are provided for demonstration.

Over the past few days of home auditioning, I have found that the computer environment in the 808v6 does not seem to be stable. At times, it would sound glorious and at others, it would be just ho-hum. By switching it off and unplugging the power cord, the magic came back but after a while, that would fade again. And repeating the power cord unplug routine brought the magic back and then later....well, you catch the drift.

It's a shame really but that's how it is. So, back it goes to the dealer. It may well just be an isolated problem with the demo unit.

I hope your upgrade turns out well.

By switching it off and unplugging the power cord, the magic came back but after a while, that would fade again.
    Before power cycling the unit, does doing any of the followings recover the sound quality to what you intended?
    - Playing CD
    - Playing non-MQA files of various sampling rates
    - Playing MQA files of various sampling rates
    - Playing a DSD file
    - Using different digital inputs (e.g. USB / coaxial)

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    Before power cycling the unit, does doing any of the followings recover the sound quality to what you intended?
    - Playing CD
    - Playing non-MQA files of various sampling rates
    - Playing MQA files of various sampling rates
    - Playing a DSD file
    Did you mean after power cycling the unit?
    Last edited by j2020; May 2, 2016 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Clarification

Playing all of the above after power cycling the unit. DSD files are converted to PCM by JRiver as the 808v6 does not read DSD.
    Last edited by j2020; May 2, 2016 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Further info.

Did you mean after power cycling the unit?
    Before. Just trying to see if there's another means of recovering it, other than power cycling.

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

MQA Discussion