Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Former or Current Maggie Owners

I wonder how many of us have had Maggies in our system either now or in the past. Count me as one. I still have them, but just don't have a room big enough for them. I miss them to some extent.

Super Moderator

Re: Former or Current Maggie Owners

I thought about pulling the trigger on them many times. I still might. I know several members here do have them and love them. A fun speaker for sure.

What model do you have?
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Joe, don't do it, you won't like them....

Audioshark

I've owned 5 pairs of Maggies over the years from MMG, 1.6, 1.7, 3.6, 3.7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bzr View Post
    Joe, don't do it, you won't like them....
    Ha!

I am actually trying to offload some gear and hunker down.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Ha!

I am actually trying to offload some gear and hunker down.
    Then stop reading this forum. It's like staring at an open box of chocolates while you are on a diet.

Super Moderator

LOL,

Great analogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzie View Post
    Then stop reading this forum. It's like staring at an open box of chocolates while you are on a diet.

NAD C 658 streamer.

My first high end speakers were Maggies. Model 2167-F, the predecessor to the MG II's. I bought them around 1977. They lasted less than three years in my home. Our daughter was born in 1979. She was in the crawling stage, trying to get up to walk. I heard this big thud. I rushed into the music room and there was one of the Maggies on the ground, with my daughter nearby. They were up for sale a day later. :-)

Larry
    Analog-VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono,2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2, Merrill Trident Tape Preamp, Herron VTPH-2A&BottleheadPhonoPre,
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicroso nicsModel2 AD
    Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC Roon/HQPlayer,Oppo105
    Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-512 Engineering Tim Marutani Symmetrical Power IsoTrans and cables,AudioDiskVinylCleaner,
    Music-2.3KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,60TBripped files

I started with the 1.7's and a year or two later bumped up to the 3.7's. Then sent them back to the factory for the mysterious .i upgrade. I really enjoy them but you do need to have them 4 to 5 foot out from the front wall.

~Mike
    ~Mike

McIntosh
    C2300 preamp, Gold Lion 12AX7A Tubes, MC601 amps, MR88 tuner, Bryston BDP-1, BDA-1, BHA-1 Magnepan 3.7i speakers, Mye stands, Sonus Faber Guarneri Mementos, JL F110 Subs, Sound Anchor Sub stands, Nakamichi 480 cassette deck, Tandberg 9141X reel to reel, Bang & Olufsen 1700 turntable, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 6 balanced IC's, Silver Eclipse 6 speaker cable, Shunyata venom 3 power cable Headphones Audeze LCD 2 ver.2 with Q-Cable, Grado SR-60i, GIK room treatments

I had a pair of the MG 12's few years ago and its a speaker that at first I thought I liked, but sadly over time I started to actually hate it. Very, very difficult to set-up correctly/Tin-sounding midrange, raspy bass. Overall not a speaker I would ever consider buying again.
    Main System:Mcintosh MC601's Amplifer,Mcintosh C1000/C1000T Preamp,Kef Ref 5 Speakers,Mcintosh MCD1100 CDP,Mcintosh MT 5 TT, Olive 04HD, Acoustic Zen Absolute Shotgun Cables,4 ELECTRA™ 7 Power Cords&2 Pairs of
    ECLIPSE 7 (EBI) XLR's, Consonance D-Linear 15 Ultra Reference Power Conditioner/Surge Protector, SolidTech "Rack of Silence"Reference 4 Audio Stand.

Audioshark

We need a "truth about Maggies" thread. I've owned five pairs, I can certainly lend some comments. For example - they need a lot of power, but can't play loud. Setup is absolutely annoying. Plan to spend months! The sweet spot is the size of a pea. Don't invite anyone else for a listen.

HOWEVER, that box less sound and sonics for the dollar are excellent.

They're a speaker that's a right of passage on the audiophile journey.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    We need a "truth about Maggies" thread. I've owned five pairs, I can certainly lend some comments. For example - they need a lot of power, but can't play loud. Setup is absolutely annoying. Plan to spend months! The sweet spot is the size of a pea. Don't invite anyone else for a listen.

HOWEVER, that box less sound and sonics for the dollar are excellent.

They're a speaker that's a right of passage on the audiophile journey.

I agree 100% !!!........especially this "The sweet spot is the size of a pea" lol
    Main System:Mcintosh MC601's Amplifer,Mcintosh C1000/C1000T Preamp,Kef Ref 5 Speakers,Mcintosh MCD1100 CDP,Mcintosh MT 5 TT, Olive 04HD, Acoustic Zen Absolute Shotgun Cables,4 ELECTRA™ 7 Power Cords&2 Pairs of
    ECLIPSE 7 (EBI) XLR's, Consonance D-Linear 15 Ultra Reference Power Conditioner/Surge Protector, SolidTech "Rack of Silence"Reference 4 Audio Stand.

Yes I would have to agree that the sweet spot moves in and out leaning from one side to the other. But you dial them in and stay put and they are great!

My first pair of high end speakers back in late 70s were Maggies. Then a few years ago I bought the 3.7s and loved them. Had to step up to Magico S5 to equal/better them. I now have the 20.7s. Former issues of bass, placement/sweet spot, etc are no more ... At least for me in my room with my equipment. I recently bought the TAD CR1 speakers. They beat my Magicos. I a/b the 20.7 to the TADs in my room for a week. Both end of road speakers in their own right but for my reference system I kept the Maggies. My room filled with sound and emotion and impact as well as the illusion of a real venue in my room was secured. I moved the TADs to my vacation home.

I run Magnepan 3.7i speakers in my main rig powered by a Rowland 625 amp, and they produce truly spectacular sound with an amazing recreation of the recording's acoustic space. I only have them three feet out from the wall and have no problem at all with a limited sweet spot. I augment their bass with a Martin Logan BalancedForce 210 sub for full range performance. The Luxman C-900u preamp certainly gets a well deserved assist for this level of performance. I alternate the Maggies with a pair of Wilson Benesch Vertex monitors in the system which provide a completely different perspective but at the same level.

Interesting, a lot of more recent Maggies have been listed. I have the 3.5's.

I had MG III's but that was more than 37 years ago. I still look back favorably on them. They sure made a statement in an apartment.
    Paul

Main Stereo System:

Harbeth 40.3 HD, Jay's CDT3 MK3, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Aurender N20, Luxman M900 & C900 , (2) JL f113, Shunyata Denali 6000v2 Power Conditioner, Altaira, AZ Cables, Stillpoints & Symposium shelves under everything.

Theater System:
    JVC RS400 projector, 130" Stewart screen, Oppo 105D, Audio Physic Classic speakers, REL 3D subs, MC8207 MX136, Synergistic Research Powercell, AZ interconnects, speaker cables and PC's.

IIC and IIIa here. I think they pair really well with tubes, I used an ARC D115 back in the day.

I want to listen to the 20.7, but can't find one in EU or the East Coast of the US. If anyone knows one close to a major airport, please let me know,

In the 80s I owned a pair of 2.5R. My father had the 2.6 in their retirement home. My older brother has a pair of 3.7.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Have or owned the Magnepan T-1Ds, the 3.5s, and now the 3.6s. I've been listening to Maggies since the late 60s.

Set-up is time consuming, but worth the effort. Would agree with the sweet spot comment due to a mild Venetian blind comb filtering effect created by side by side driver placement. They play plenty loud enough in a tri-amped system with big subs.

Magnepan's produced a very good, high value product, but they need better stands for bracing (Mye) and, for all out performance, the crossover caps and inductors and wiring can be improved for noticeably better transparency.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Have or owned the Magnepan T-1Ds, the 3.5s, and now the 3.6s. I've been listening to Maggies since the late 60s.

Set-up is time consuming, but worth the effort.
    As the author of the T-1D set-up manual, I certainly agree.

Magnepan's produced a very good, high value product, but they need better stands for bracing (Mye) and, for all out performance, the crossover caps and inductors and wiring can be improved for noticeably better transparency.
    Also agree.
    DPT4ME - Dynamics, Presence & Tone for Musical Engagement; MBP (3) - stripped down for music only; Shunyata Omega & Sigma USBs; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; Aqua La Scala II Optologic DAC; Schiit Yggdrasil - fully updated; Ayre Codex dac - updated; Pass Labs INT-60 integrated amp; Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE-2 preamp, Quicksilver Mono 120 amps w/Tung-Sol KT150s; Quicksilver Mid Mono amps w/Gold Lion KT77s; Fyne Audio 703s; Symposium Svelte Plus & Ultra Platforms; REL S-812 subwoofers; Duelund DCA12GA speaker cables; AV Room Service EVPs, Stein Music Harmonizers, Duelund DCA16GA & 20GA ICs; Shunyata Denali 6000S/V2; Tripp Lite PCs; Wyred 4 Sound power cords; AudioDharma cable cooker; dedicated custom room; various GIK & ASC room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I've owned 5 pairs of Maggies over the years from MMG, 1.6, 1.7, 3.6, 3.7.

MG-2167; MG-2, 2A, MG-1; MG-3.5; Tympani 1, 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 3, 3A

Wrote MG-1, MG-2, T-1D manuals.

DPT4ME - Dynamics, Presence & Tone for Musical Engagement; MBP (3) - stripped down for music only; Shunyata Omega & Sigma USBs; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; Aqua La Scala II Optologic DAC; Schiit Yggdrasil - fully updated; Ayre Codex dac - updated; Pass Labs INT-60 integrated amp; Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE-2 preamp, Quicksilver Mono 120 amps w/Tung-Sol KT150s; Quicksilver Mid Mono amps w/Gold Lion KT77s; Fyne Audio 703s; Symposium Svelte Plus & Ultra Platforms; REL S-812 subwoofers; Duelund DCA12GA speaker cables; AV Room Service EVPs, Stein Music Harmonizers, Duelund DCA16GA & 20GA ICs; Shunyata Denali 6000S/V2; Tripp Lite PCs; Wyred 4 Sound power cords; AudioDharma cable cooker; dedicated custom room; various GIK & ASC room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

'began my Planar life time with Apogee Duetta Signatures, they eventually died from old age and use.... tried to find the Planar magic again. 1.7's well, kinda, 3.7's now we're talking, 20.7's oh yea, never looked back.
    Magnepan 20.7 - CJ ART 300s - CJ GATV2 - Meitner MA-1 V2 -Dedicated JRMC + Synology NAS

mauidan

T-1Ds

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post

you have us all beat. btw, the typanis were marvelous, one of the first true high-end speaker systems I ever heard were a bi-amped pair.

Jim, with your pedigree I find the list a tad short ...

Quote Originally Posted by bzr View Post
    Jim, with your pedigree I find the list a tad short ...
    Sorry, I got distracted in the early 80s with Quads (both); Acoustats, all; Bevs; original Full Range Apogees...

www.getbettersound.com

Right now I have a pair of 3.7i's with Mye Stands meticulously set up in my main system and its hard to imagine anything sounding a whole lot better. But I'm fortunate enough to have a dedicated room and just crazy enough to have spent at least a week dialing in the locations and set up with laser beams and tape! (Jim you would be very proud of me!) They are about 5 1/2' out from the front wall and 7 1/2' from my ears, so I'm pretty close and they have plenty of room for the rear sound waves. Plus I had to do a lot of work to tame the room (14' x 28") and have 20 HFT's, 3 FEQ's, a Black Box, 4 Stillpoint Apertures, and 5 Tube Traps. But......... I'll put it like this; it was worth it.

It seems like the Maggies will show off any upstream improvement in spades and really respond to extremely careful room placement and acoustic treatments, if one has the will and the patience. I've had, and still have in my very sad speaker mausoleum, several pair of highly acclaimed speakers including JM Lab Utopias, AZ Crescendo's, and several pair of Quads, and I'm not inclined for even a moment to listen to any of them over the Maggies. Unless I hear something else that completely sweeps me away at Axpona, my short drool list of speakers includes the 20.7's and maybe a pair of Sound Labs. (pause to wipe drool from chin...)

Ted
    Ted

Main System; VPI Classic 3 TT, Koetsu Blue Lace Platinum, Eagle/RR, Cinemag SUT, CJ Prem 15 Phono Pre, Modwright Oppo 105 CD/Dac, CJ Gat Ser 2, CAT Legend, Carver BB 305's, Magnepan 3.7i's/Mye Stands, REL G2's (pair), Triton/Typhon, Shunyata Loom, Merrill Rack, Mapleshade Plinths/Footers, Herbie's Tenderfeet/Tube Dampers, Synergistic Research; HFT's, FEQ's, Black Box, Apertures & Tube Traps.

2nd System; Kuzma Stabi/Stogi TT, Soundsmith Voice/Cad Bronze/Koetsu Rosewood Sig, Sutherland 20/20 Phono Pre, Bryston CD1, Cyrus Dac, Triode TRX-2, CJ Prem 8's (upgraded KT120's), Peter Gunn MMG's, REL S3's (pair), Audience Au24 SE Loom, Mapleshade Rack, Plinths & Footers. (Quad 2905's, ESL63's, PK Customs, AZ Crescendos, Utopias, Nuforce R20's, Modwright SWL9.0SE, CJ Classic 60SE)

Ah Tedtag,

You put a smile on my face. I went from Spica TC 50's to finally Maggie 3.7i's and wow what musical bliss. They just hit you with a wall of sound whether sitting or standing. When the pocketbook won't let you reach up into the $20K and higher speaker range Maggies bring you pretty close.
    ~Mike

McIntosh
    C2300 preamp, Gold Lion 12AX7A Tubes, MC601 amps, MR88 tuner, Bryston BDP-1, BDA-1, BHA-1 Magnepan 3.7i speakers, Mye stands, Sonus Faber Guarneri Mementos, JL F110 Subs, Sound Anchor Sub stands, Nakamichi 480 cassette deck, Tandberg 9141X reel to reel, Bang & Olufsen 1700 turntable, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 6 balanced IC's, Silver Eclipse 6 speaker cable, Shunyata venom 3 power cable Headphones Audeze LCD 2 ver.2 with Q-Cable, Grado SR-60i, GIK room treatments

Jim: Many thanks to you for "Get Better Sound". Your advice on measurement, bi-amping, and use of the Leica Disto for set-up, was indispensable to me in achieving the systems improvements I've gotten. Oh, you should have told us about the Duelund passive XO - I had to figure that out on my own.

I am forever grateful!!! Best of luck in all your future audio endeavors.

Audioshark

Barry - great post. I've been a huge fan of Jim's for years. I had him do an actual full setup in November. Watching him work for two days was an eye opener.

Jim: Many thanks to you for "Get Better Sound". Your advice on measurement, bi-amping, and use of the Leica Disto for set-up, was indispensable to me in achieving the systems improvements I've gotten. Oh, you should have told us about the Duelund passive XO - I had to figure that out on my own.

Hi Barry,

Thanks for the kind comments!

I mentioned the Duelund xover about two years ago in a Quarter Notes newsletter. As a Get Better Sound owner, you should be receiving them - let me know by private message or e-mail if you are not and I will see to it that you are added to the mail list and that you receive the eighteen newsletters to date - #19 is coming shortly.

Here is a link to that newsletter - the Duelund reference and a link to an article on the Internet about mine - is 2/3 or more down in the newsletter:

http://www.getbettersound.com/quarternotesv4i2.html

www.getbettersound.com

I was teasing you about the Duelund XO a little Jim but NOT about the value of your contributions to audio setup. I actually did the outboard Duelund crossover back in 2012.

I still get and read the Quarter Notes. They are terrific and I enjoy the podcast I tried too. We need you. Keep up the great work!

I was fortunate enough to be sitting in Jim's new listening room on Friday while he ran through some demo cuts and explained the features and techniques he used to dial in his room and system. Holy crap! I have never heard speakers disappear like that and it was like the room had been completely removed from the equation. Gone..... nada.... only music floating in space. The dynamics were stunning all the way from a whisper to a powerful drum roll. The tonality was addictive. And the presence was "reach out and touch it"; tangible and real. I left with a whole new level of inspiration with gobs of new and good ideas. Thank you Jim!

For anyone who hasn't read his book or his DVD's called "Get Better Sound", I feel like its an absolutely essential component for setting up a system. There are hundreds of common sense suggestions all presented in easy to understand and practical terms. I'll try not to gush too much, but following the principals and methods as outlined in the book and DVD's, listening to music has gone to a completely higher and much better level of experience. And we're not done yet. This summer I'm building a new garage with a dedicated listening room upstairs and with Jim's help, plan to take a no holds barred approach to try to get the best sound possible. So there should be some good material to write about.

Here's a post I wrote for Jeff's Place (great website for audio purists!) right after Jim had been to my house 3 years ago and helped me with some advice about set up. Sorry if its a little wordy and at times a little over the top with excitement, but it sort of captures some of the essence about what its like to go through the set up process and why I'm so crazy about this stuff!

"Like most audiophiles I’ve struggled for years to get the kind of sound I dreamed of in my system. Its a strange obsession I guess because although I struggled to improve the sound of my system what I really was after was to reach a point where I could stop thinking about how the system sounded and just enjoy the music. I feel fortunate to live near Jim in Atlanta and to have stumbled upon his work a couple of years ago. After reading his book I asked him to come over and advise me on my system. I ended up rearranging the speaker location and my listening position, building a raised platform under the couch, trading speakers (my Utopias had a bump in the frequency spectrum that could not be fixed), and moving the equipment rack off to the side. I also added a sound curtain to shrink my room and then measured in the speakers to an inch or so tolerance. It sounded pretty good but just was not there yet.

Then I had Jim come back over and listen again. He played some specific tracks off his playlist and made some suggestions about speaker placement which were now Quad 2905’s mounted on heavy maple plinths and spiked to the floor. Jim pulled out a set of Herbie’s Gliders and suggested I get some which I ordered immediately after he left. Then he showed me his laser tools and how to measure everything to 1/16th of an inch tolerance. Three days later I drove to Jim’s house and he played the same tracks on his system. The sound was indescribable and we sat listening to cut after cut for about 4 hours until I had a mental imprint of what it sounded like. I went home, the gliders arrived, and I spent the following weekend tweaking the speakers. Here’s a quote from one of the emails I sent Jim after the system snapped into focus by just following his suggestions to a proverbial T.

“FOUND IT!!! Can’t believe what happened! Kept moving em first closer together then towards couch then apart then toe in…… Sat listened, did it again and again. All of a sudden the sound stage opened up and everything snapped into focus! Its huge, deep, wide, plus all the detail is completely there. Cat Stevens “If I Laugh”; the guitar is floating almost in front of the left speaker every note ringing out, he’s back a bit in the center, then the bass comes in. Unbelievable song. Can’t thank you enough Jim. I never would have had this happen without your help. Forty years I’ve been trying to find this experience. I’ll be up all night. Now its Clannad; harmonies are stunning, full of air, rich, and pure, like being surrounded by a choir of angels."

And this was from the next day after I calmed down a bit! : “I’m still rattled from what happened last night. After thinking about it, I was down on the floor with lasers set up and tape all over the place working on a front to back window of about 2″. I had the system playing at full listening levels while I was doing this, so I was being extremely careful like it was a surgical manueaver. After moving the speakers a few hairs I’d stop, go sit down, and listen until I found a spot that seemed a little more focused with great bass and tone. Then I started playing with toe in and that’s when it happened. Remember I already was thrilled with the way the first round of measuring and positioning had improved the sound. The system already sounded great but I was going for soundstage depth and realistic spacial information.

All of a sudden, while hunched down on the floor between the speakers, I thought I heard the sound snap into focus, so I scrambled back to my seat and could not believe what I was hearing. The images were floating holographically on a deep soundstage, with even better bass, clarity, and tone. That’s when I stopped moving the speakers and started flipping through music which went on for hours. I played all of the cuts on the CD’s you sent me and although the system sounded different than yours, the message was the same; it just sounded right and was pure musical enjoyment! Where before last night, yes it all sounded good and very technologically advanced, now the system is absolutely compelling to listen to. In fact, I’m taking the afternoon off to get an early start on a listening session so I don’t have to stay up so late!”

I can’t thank Jim enough. The system was transformed just by getting it set up right. The only equipment I changed during this entire time frame were the original speakers which were defective. Also I want to encourage any audiophile who shares my passion for listening to music on a well voiced system to diligently follow his suggestions and don’t be afraid to jump in and be an active part of the process. With the right tools and some determination, the results of Jim’s methods can be absolutely astounding!"
    Ted

Main System; VPI Classic 3 TT, Koetsu Blue Lace Platinum, Eagle/RR, Cinemag SUT, CJ Prem 15 Phono Pre, Modwright Oppo 105 CD/Dac, CJ Gat Ser 2, CAT Legend, Carver BB 305's, Magnepan 3.7i's/Mye Stands, REL G2's (pair), Triton/Typhon, Shunyata Loom, Merrill Rack, Mapleshade Plinths/Footers, Herbie's Tenderfeet/Tube Dampers, Synergistic Research; HFT's, FEQ's, Black Box, Apertures & Tube Traps.

2nd System; Kuzma Stabi/Stogi TT, Soundsmith Voice/Cad Bronze/Koetsu Rosewood Sig, Sutherland 20/20 Phono Pre, Bryston CD1, Cyrus Dac, Triode TRX-2, CJ Prem 8's (upgraded KT120's), Peter Gunn MMG's, REL S3's (pair), Audience Au24 SE Loom, Mapleshade Rack, Plinths & Footers. (Quad 2905's, ESL63's, PK Customs, AZ Crescendos, Utopias, Nuforce R20's, Modwright SWL9.0SE, CJ Classic 60SE)

Ted,

Thank you for taking the time to write your experience down. I have both Jim's book and his DVD set and have used his suggestions. My whole system in my basement with room to experiment now. I have the same Magnepan 3.7i's and Mye stands. I used those furniture sliders with the spiked Mye stands setting on Pennies. It is tricky to keep them on the pennies when trying to move them. Time to order some Herbie's Gliders. Maybe you could do another thread on the forum as to how you use a laser alignment tool to set up Maggies. I had a hard time getting the toe in the same. One question for the new thread would be, where do you run your laser measurement from? At one point I was lining up off the feet of the Mye stands. I was using a tape measure off the back wall to try to get the toe in the same. Definitely seat of the pants. I need to watch Jim's DVD's. It rewarding when you get it right. I finally got longer speaker cables to move my audio cabinet from behind my Maggies on the front wall over to the right side wall. That made a big difference just like Jim said it would!

~Mike
    ~Mike

McIntosh

Quote Originally Posted by Mgard View Post
    I started with the 1.7's and a year or two later bumped up to the 3.7's. Then sent them back to the factory for the mysterious .i upgrade. I really enjoy them but you do need to have them 4 to 5 foot out from the front wall.

~Mike
    What do you think of the i upgrade? I'm waiting for mine to come back from Magnepan.

You guys should try out the Restored Apogees. The guys from the US should get the ones from True Sound works in Nevada, the guys from EU should get the ones from Henk in Holland. Duettas for normal rooms, Full Ranges for really large (at least 8m long, 5m wide) rooms

Hi limniscate,

My biggest issue with the 3.7's when I first got them was they were to bright sounding to me on the high end. After upgrading to the 3.7i version they have settled right down and sound so much smoother. The bass is punchier too. I mainly listen to Bluegrass and other acoustic music which the Maggies already did an excellent job on. Now the female vocals are so smooth and buttery warm, no glare to them. Alison Krauss & Union Station sound so magical and have the feeling of being right there in my room. Another female group called the Wailin Jennys is a treat to listen to. I think you will be pleased when you get yours back. I made a pallet for mine and shipped them fright. They came back without any issues.

~Mike
    ~Mike

McIntosh

Maggie's with CAT gear...... Starting today I have a box of Kleenex next to my listening seat.

As I mentioned in posts #29 and #35 in this thread, I've got a pair of Maggie 3.7i's with Mye stands, meticulously set up and have used some really great gear with outstanding results. Preamps have been Gat1, Gat2, Triode TRX2, Modwright (all upgrades). Amps have been Carver 305's (a little tube rolling), CJ Premier 8's (kt120/teflon upgrades), and Nuprime R20's; all over 300 watts per channel. Every combination has sounded great and the Gat2 is a tremendous sounding piece of gear. My favorite combination is the Gat2 with the Carvers. I've also got a pair of REL G2 subs right behind the Maggies that I've obsessively dialed in at a cross over of between 37-39 Hz and a volume setting of between 7-10 depending on the gear upstream.

However; I was so blown away by the Cat gear at Axpona that I ordered a brand new Cat Legend preamp with an amazing phono section and a pair of Cat JL7's with KT150's. They arrived last week and I immediately put them in my Maggie system. They have now had a little time to settle in with about 100 hours of play time. I bought the Cats for a second system I'm building in a new dedicated listening room over a 2 car garage that's being constructed as we speak. That new room should be ready in a few weeks, but in the mean time I'm running the Cat gear with the 3.7i's. One more point to consider is that I'm a vinyl guy, and very obsessive about dialing in my TT. The cartridge I'm using in a VPI Classic 3 with 3D arm is a Koetsu Blue Lace Platinum (Koetsu folks will get this). That might seem like overkill for a $6k pair of speakers but who cares!

I'm careful about using exaggerated explicative type words and will try my best to keep these comments in relatively rational terms. But holy shit! My complete emotional melt down happened last night while listening to the most unsuspecting piece of music I could imagine. That being some rock and roll from Dave Mason's masterful debut solo album "Alone Together". Specifically the last cut on side #2; "Look at You Look at Me". The kick drum felt like it was pounding me in the chest, there was a wall of music several feet on either side of each speaker, and then at 1 point Dave shouts out a big Whoooo! That came from some distant back left corner of the soundstage and I literally jumped in my seat. Finally that amazing guitar solo at the end just ripped my heart out and I sat there emotionally drained, sobbing like a baby.

All I can say is now what? Its hard to imagine separating the Cat gear from the Maggies. Its an absolute heavenly combination even compared to the premium gear I've been using! But the Cat gear was earmarked for a completely different system, just waiting to be assembled in a dedicated listening room. I may have to cash out my retirement account, sell all my cars, or even rob a bank, but I might just have to go for a pair of Cat Statement amps and another Legend preamp to build that second system. Tough problem when we have to deal with such dilemmas I suppose!

But to get back to the matter at hand; from my experience, a well set up pair of Maggies, driven with enough power and current, will be exactly as good as the quality of the signal they receive. And with a Koetsu Blue Lace Platinu and the new Cat gear, I think I'm gonna have to order an entire case of kleenex........
    Ted

The new Standard , Happy tears and Kleenex ....

Hey Ted, thanks for the report but guy, you need to man up.....this hobby isn't supposed to be that tough on ones emotions....... Sorry for the hyperboyle....
    Enjoy the new found audio nirvana.
    Cheers
    Ps. I hear the latest Cat gear is the cats meow, especially the amps.
    INDUSTRY AFFILIATION: OWNER/PRESIDENT OF
    QUINTESSENCE ACOUSTICS
    www.quintessenceacoustics.com

Thanks for the support! Never was a cry baby until last night. But this Cat gear could probably meltdown the hardest of hearts with the right music. I was still feeling it this morning and I'm warming up the cartridge as we speak. Better than a stiff martini at 5:00 pm on a Friday! Here's a couple of pictures of the Cat JL7's in play and their compatriots waiting patiently on the sidelines.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Ted

Are those carvers in the second pic .... ?

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    Are those carvers in the second pic .... ?
    Yup. They are called Black Beauty 305's with kt120's and have since been upgraded to 350's with kt150's I believe. Plus they lowered the price. Amazing amps for the money and a terrific match for Maggie if you like tubes.
    Ted

Bob has ribbons and used to run apogee's, supposedly all of his top amps were built to drive maggie type loads , hence the high power ...

Ted, sounds like my Soulution moment.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Former or Current Maggie Owners