Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: Accuphase DP550

Accuphase DP550

Hi all,

I've been "eyeing" this DAC/SACD player from Accuphase, but unfortunately i don't have the opportunity to listen to it in my own system. The info on the web is scarce, that im aware there's only one full review of the unit.
    I do give more value to the opinions of end users, like the one's from this forum.
    My main concern is that the dac section wont be on par with my current dac (MSB Analog) and i would want to use the USB input for connecting a streamer. How good is it?
    As for the SACD/CD playback im not worried at all
    Music ON / World OFF

Re: Accuphase DP550

The 550 would match very nicely with my 470.

....but just a little bit out of my price range....16K?
    McIntosh - PMC - Aurender - Kimber Kable - WW - Core Audio Designs

I also have the E470. Is getting better each day, but still need more hours.
    The DP550 would probably be a nice match.
    I don't think however there's much owners around here.
    Or they are too shy
    Music ON / World OFF

It is true that Accuphase have prohibitive prices in Europe and in the US but the truth is that even when a great deal comes through nobody jumps to take it. It is a pretty limited market for this kind of products in my opinion.

I've owned one for 2 years and it's a great player. Not sure what else competes at this level.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedoor View Post
    Hi all,

I've been "eyeing" this DAC/SACD player from Accuphase, but unfortunately i don't have the opportunity to listen to it in my own system. The info on the web is scarce, that im aware there's only one full review of the unit.
    I do give more value to the opinions of end users, like the one's from this forum.
    My main concern is that the dac section wont be on par with my current dac (MSB Analog) and i would want to use the USB input for connecting a streamer. How good is it?
    As for the SACD/CD playback im not worried at all
    Focal Scala V2, Accuphase DP-550, Avid Volvere, SME 309, Benz-Micro Reference Copper S, Accuphase C-37 phono pre, Tara Labs 0.8, Accuphase A-70, Accuphase C-2420 preamp

What do you think of the USB implementation on this?
    Is it "on par" with the cd drive?
    Have you compare it to others DACS in the same league?

Just noticed that you also own the C37 phono pre, very curious about it also.
    Music ON / World OFF

Honestly, the only time I tried the USB input was with my wife's Ipad which has Spotify on it. Not too impressive honestly. Might have been better with a high-resolution service like Tidal. But I only use it for CDs and SACDs for which it is wonderful. I didn't compare it with other DACs because I wanted the legendary Accuphase build quality. As far as the C-37 goes, it is really spectacular and Keri at Design Audio Video has one on sale right now. Grab it while you can.
    Focal Scala V2, Accuphase DP-550, Avid Volvere, SME 309, Benz-Micro Reference Copper S, Accuphase C-37 phono pre, Tara Labs 0.8, Accuphase A-70, Accuphase C-2420 preamp

I am using mine connected to a Pioneer N-70A streamer and it really makes the streamer shine. The internal DAC of the streamer it is more upfront with more of everything but is rough and unpolished by comparison. The DP-550 is one piece of equipment i will surely miss when i will finally find a buyer for mine.

Any rumor about when a DP730 ?

The DP550 have been upgraded to the DP560. When the DP720 will be upgraded ?

If I buy a DP720, I am afraid that the NEW DP560 may be better than his older brother DP720 ! Or that a DP730 is around the corner !

I have listen Accuphase DP 550 in my home - my dealer give me it for test for the week-end - ( sorry for my english ).
    I have compare it with Marantz SA7S1 + DAC Mark Levinson N° 360 S.
    I can say, like we say in France : it's a question for taste and color.

I try to say that Accuphase DP 550 is near a turntable : it's not the reality but I would say ... sound is soft...but not accuracy like SA7S1 + ML N° 360S.

The two are very near. So, it's a question for taste and color...

Good luck !
    Marantz SA7S1/GRIMM AUDIO CC1/MARK LEVINSON 360S+TECHNICS SL1210 MKII/ORTOFON X1-MC/VPI CLASSIC 3 in rosewood/Audio-Technica ART-9/ESOTERIC E03+TAG MC LAREN T32R+JEFF ROWLAND CORUS+JEFF ROWLAND MODEL 625+Magnepan 3.7i+Cables line: all Furutech lineflux+power cord DIY

Grimm cc1

I'm talking about DP-550...
    Marantz SA7S1/GRIMM AUDIO CC1/MARK LEVINSON 360S+TECHNICS SL1210 MKII/ORTOFON X1-MC/VPI CLASSIC 3 in rosewood/Audio-Technica ART-9/ESOTERIC E03+TAG MC LAREN T32R+JEFF ROWLAND CORUS+JEFF ROWLAND MODEL 625+Magnepan 3.7i+Cables line: all Furutech lineflux+power cord DIY

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Accuphase DP550