Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021222324252631 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,050 of 2097
    Super Moderator

Re: Nord One Up Ncore NC500 amps, Class D ready for prime time .....

A low gain tube preamp or passive like the STP-SE would be great with the 994 op amp!
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I'm with Joe, the STP-SE is a great match. If you find a tube preamp you like with a low enough gain that would be my first choice. It doesn't have to be extreme but you might be pushing it with gain numbers like with CJ preamps. My Modwright at 13 db is just about as high as I would try for, but my speakers are over 90 db. If you have low efficiency speakers you might have more choices.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by tboooe View Post
    Wow what a great thread. I haven't posted in a while but this thread is really interesting. I am in the market for a new amp to drive my Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolutions. Like many I dismissed class D amps based on initial feedback years ago. Looks like class D have come a long way and the price can't be beat. I only wish Nord made an integrated amp. I am trying to keep my system as simple as possible. However, at these price points I could easily fit a killer preamp into the budget. Decisions decisions.
    I was in the exact same position as you. My first thought was also regarding an integrated, as it seems Class D has come a long way, so has integrated amplifiers in my opinion. And for someone like me who has invested heavily in cables, adding a pre-amp in between with yet another cable makes it very costly. I wasn't even looking for a power-amp, I was looking for an integrated, but I decided to finally go the balanced and DAC/poweramp combo with volume control and add those options to my LampizatOr DAC instead. We'll see how it works, if not the backup plan is to try one of the passives, like the Hattor for example.

Or you could consider going straight from a Lumin player with built in dac using your iPad for volume control. Another option is the SotM dac/pre or Benchmark DA3.

What case and colour are you getting?

That is a good idea to get a dac with a volume control. Unfortunately, I just bought one and volume control isnt available for it anyway. I guess I could control the volume via my playback software, HQ Player. I typically do not mess around too much with volume once I start listening so maybe I can this route and forget about a pre or integrated altogether.

I would get a SE case in silver.
    8TB NAS >> Wireless N >> CAPS Zuma Music Server >> HQ Player >> Fiber Optics >> NAA >> Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable >> Singxer SU-1 DDC >> Wireworld HDMI >> Holo Spring DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >>Tara Labs The One Speaker Cables >> Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution speakers + 2 REL Ti/5 subs

I have just bought a Lumin D1 and its works a treat direct to the Nord. I've only had a hour with it but functionally works very well, the volume control is very precise.
    One of my customers has also just bought the Benchmark DAC3 works well and has the advantage of an RCA in. They also sent him the power amp to try, he preferred the Nord. The dealer who sold me the Lumin bought some Nord's, he bought around a £3600 Gato Integrated for me to listen to, stunning looks but wooly compared to the Nord.
    http://www.nordacoustics.co.uk Nord Acoustics design and manufacture Nord Amplifiers in the UK. Hypex and ICE Power Amplifier Stereo to 8 Channel Amplifiers. We ship Worldwide.

Super Moderator

Great new website Colin!

Love the look.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Hi, new to this forum, but felt it was a good place to put my feedback on the Nord OneUp SE Stereo which I bought in Black a month ago, I had it with the SonicImagery 994's and Neotech internal speaker cable option.

So, a few notes on the system and history of things. The system I have it in has some remnants of Cyrus gear in it, the power amps I have used by them have stepped from the Power, to 2 SmartPowers in mono, to 2 APA7.5's, to 4 APA7.5's running bi-amped. These feeding Ruark Talisman 2's.

I have had the DacXP Signature being fed by a CD XT Signature, but the DacXP Signature was ditched for a Bryston BDA-2 Dac feeding and ATC SCA2 Preamp (the combination is much better in all respects for me, and it should be).

So, now the CD XT Signature feeds the Bryston BDA-2 Dac, feeds the ATC SCA2, feeds the Nord, feeding the Talisman 2's.

I don't particularly think it is worth talking about the SE case, it's nice and solid, smart and well finished. I will move on to what the amp sounds like, and also, having read much about the warming up (break in) of these amps I made sure I was ready to track any changes right from the off.

- continued next post -

Ok, a quick note about buying, I collected my Amp from Colin, and heard it connected to some of his IQ Speakers, which I believe were the ST2LK. He was feeding it from one of his Nord Preamps, from a Cambridge Audio CXN Streamer on the day.

I also heard the equivalent amp with Sparkos, and one of his new NC250MP Stereo Amps (so have opinions there too).

Initial impressions of his setup running my amp were of course in an unfamiliar room, using his speakers, so were more an impression of the system. So, what I thought was, whilst good, his system was not my cup of tea, and I mean the speakers. They sound big, deep etc, but the ribbon tweeters are not my cup of tea, so I found there was this big soundstage but the top end was a little harsh (as I knew this was my exact amp, I asked how long it had run, the answer was about 5 hours tops), so I was hoping this would not be a signature of the Nord amp, or that it would tone itself down a notch as it broke in. All guesses at that time.

So, the Sparkos comparison while there... I felt it was more natural immediately, warmer as is said by many, and it didn't highlight the ribbon tweeters slight harshness so much, the harshness I didn't like. But, I was left thinking I will not know until I use the amp in my system, referencing other amps I have had, what if any part of it was down to the Nord.

Here we better mention the NC250MP. Now, that, is going to be a winner for many people, it was seriously good in the limited time I had to listen there. So, at less than half the cost, the performance was seriously impressive, almost a sideways shift in sound not much a downwards one. Although, that's just quick impressions. So, if anyone's looking at those, I can say I was genuinely impressed.

--- continued next post ---

Ok... let's move to the Nord, plugging it in in my own system, day one, immediate impressions.

Note at this point my ATC SCA2 Pre is a fully balanced design with XLR outs (and ins if wanted) there to be used, even my Bryston BDA-2 Dac has single ended and a proper designed balanced outs option as well as its single ended RCA outs.

So, I have been running my Dac to Pre single ended, with Alaqeia Interconnect from Missing Link which has been a winner in my systems and in friends systems over a good dozen other interconnects tried. The Pre to Power, I have some Mogami XLRs built up, and this is what I started with (I can get the cable model if anyone is interested)... more XLR cable choice experiments will follow.

Ok, so I ran my system 24/7 to burn this in, and made notes as I went along. They are quite extensive, so I will write them up and post them in due course. For now, lets just give impressions from first day, and now....

First impressions in my system were:
    This is more trebley.
    This is has less bass.
    But, there is more sub bass when it is in the recording.
    ....so, I was left hoping the break-in stories are true, and was determined to be able to track any changes if I could as to where the improvements were.
    5 hours later, still on that first day, I noted that things seemed marginally better, but vocals had an edge, slightly raspy quality, that I hoped would go. I also noted that I'd had no real "smiling" moments yet, but with some CDs I was hearing some details I hadn't heard before.

So, I will write up all the progress of the warm up in due course, but let's skip to two weeks later, 300 hours of use...

Well, does the Amp break in? In short, yes, no question. It is now very transparent. What I have feeding it is good enough to now prove if the recording is bad, soft, thin, poorly produced or mastered it will show it. Get something good playing and it is great. My reservations about what I had heard on the IQ's ribbon tweeters at Nord and initially on my speakers I felt, in regards to harshness, had gone. There's still a lot of treble extension though.

I am thinking of trying the Sparkos still at some point, out of curiosity maybe now, but not out of necessity.

All in all the amp is a winner, no doubt about that. What I do think may differ in me changing to a Nord to some others though, is my speakers are remarkably easy to drive. So, I would expect other people who are switching to a Nord from a less capable amp in respect of "easy to drive" would be benefitting from that aspect of the Nord's capabilities much much more than me, so it's easy to imagine how some people will find the amp a revelation from day one.

--- continued next post ---

Ok... I will return to write much more about the warming up / break in, which I made notes on every day, but the general feeling is one that it is the treble settling to be more refined and the soundstage depth which comes from that detail coming through the treble better are my main experiences. Bass, whilst it got more revealing was a lesser part of the break in, there was no increase in bass levels or extension over the break in for me.

What I will note is this though. When past the 300 hours, I took the opportunity to see whether the XLR cable choice from Pre to Power could make a difference or not. I know a lot of people don't believe choice of balanced XLR interconnects make a difference, and I tried to find out for myself. So, I tried an XLR version of the Alaqeia in place of the Mogami, and I tried Audience OHNO... well, the short answer is yes, a clear difference, the Alaqeia sounded more open at the top end, but didn't really have the control of that top end it opened, so if the choice was between that and the Mogami, either was compromised.

So, the Audience OHNO? Well, that was clearly better, voices were more realistic (very), detail was all there, treble detail was all controlled and extended, much better. In fact, any real instrument whether it be drums, cymbals, clicks of drumsticks counting in tracks, horns, strings, guitars everything sounded right, sounded real in recordings that were well done. I lived with this cable in place for a week and I became accustomed to the system sounding great. So, then, I thought, let's take it out, try the Mogami XLR again, try the Alaqeia XLR again, and see what I thought. "Instant downgrade" is what I thought.

I know some people are sceptical about XLR cables, but the difference is clear. I don't think it would be clear in all systems of course, but with the transparent nature of the Nord and in my system I can hear it clearly. Whether that particular Audience cable is the be all and end all, I don't know, but the experiment worked and the Mogami for instance sounds quite closed in in comparison and detail does not come through as well, with a slightly dulled top end and doesn't sound as open.

There is no doubt in higher end, more revealing speakers than I have the cables will even make more of a difference.

(A quick note, I am not knocking the RCA version of the Alaqeia, it is a great cable, and the Mogami (of which I tried two types with Neutriks, is the kind of thing you can build for £30 or buy for £50, the Audience OHNO is about £350).

So, I will be auditioning and trying other XLR cables, and will be trying another set from Dac to Pre once I can get more, but at the moment having Audience OHNO's from Pre to Power only leaves me the Alaqeia XLR or Mogami XLR to try in the Dac to Pre position and when I have done so, they are bettered by an RCA Alaqeia running in that position.

I don't know if any of this has helped anyone, I will post more information of my 14 days break-in notes, and can comment on anything else people wonder about with the amp.

Final note for now, the Nord OneUP SE Stereo is a great amp, and great value. It's transparent, lets the details through, and has great control of the speakers. I think a few people will soon be singing the praises of that NC250MP too, incredible sound for the price.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum mfin, thank you for joining.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

Wow! Such an awesome write up. Thank you so much.

NAD C 658 streamer.

No problem... will be back with more notes once I've written up my diaries of break-in (because I'd been looking for more details about the break in before I bought, but no one had seemed to say much more than "it got a lot better").

Also, I'll come back with opinions on the Sparkos once I've tried them in my system.

(Just trying to help provide another set of opinions that might help potential buyers like I was a while back)

In fact, the following will interest some people, I combed through all of this thread to find absolutely all the comments people have made so far relating to warm-up/break-in and cut 'n' pasted them out, here they all are (divided up with ----'s):

-----
    Try to remember that the amps themselves (amps + op amps) will start to come into their own around the 300 hour mark. 500 hours was the sweet spot for me and the only time they waver since then is if they've been powered off for more than 24 hours. I leave my Nord's powered on all the time so that they're settled with component warm up when I want to listen, but if starting from an extended off-period I give them at least 2-3 hours of power-on (since they are broken in already) before listening intently.
    -----
    After break in I found that a certain 'tightness' in the sound completely disappeared and the music flowed really well and a small edge disappeared making the sound smoother and instead of just being real they became spookily real. The number of times I said 'what the dam was that' increased. For me the changes were not dramatic but most welcome.
    (NOTE: I think this might have been in reference to 300hrs?)
    -----
    I also found they needed about 30 mins to warm up fully after being off for a day or so. I leave them on permanently. I think I can handle 36w of heat even in the middle of summer.
    -----
    In fact, the 500 hour mark is when the amp really shows its capabilities in soundstage, bass definition and dimensionality. At the 1000 hour mark the bass really comes together in terms of pitch, definition, slam and air. Low-end detail and impact has improved immensely --the difference between dropping a mallet on a spongy surface and a hard solid surface where the impact is not only heard but has a more visceral punch!
    -----
    PS: it may be a help to new owners if you advise them that the amps do continue to "develop" beyond the 500 hour mark of continuous input through about 900 hours or so where patience is rewarded with exceptional sound quality at a price that defies convention. Truth be told, they really are quite good after a week of burn in!
    -----
    I think I mentioned it here already, but for the first 350-450 hours with the Nord's in my system, I ran them 24/7 powered up and about 12-18 hours per day playing music (streaming Tidal). To get to the 450 hour mark, it took me most of 4 weeks. Now, I just leave the Nord's powered on all the time and fire up the remainder of my system as needed.
    -----
    It appears Colin's customer is correct, I am still hearing improvement (particularly in the accuracy/detail and impact of the deep bass) now that my amps are reaching the 800 hour mark.
    -----
    For what it is worth EJ told me that class D's should have at least 500 hours to break in. More is even better. I have to agree. I have noticed the Wyred amp continuing to improve well pass 600-700 hours.
    -----
    It's got well over 250 hours on it now and is much better than it was out of the box especially the mids and highs.
    -----
    Thanks Jack. I am running PAD breakin CD to speed up the process whenever I can. Not sure how much it helps but it started to open up nicely after 4days.
    -----
    Amazing how these amps keep improving once they have more and more hours of playtime. Also, the SQ at very low listening levels is really something.
    -----

I am currently using the Sparkos for sometime and think they perform better (a bit more fleshed out sound) than the SI994 in my system...

Super Moderator

What preamp are you using?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

NAD C 658 streamer.

Hey folks got a quick question. Are any of you in the U.S. ? I am curious to know how the switch mode power supply is working running on 110 volts.

Don't laugh people I can get into it later. And apparently it does make a difference.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    What preamp are you using?

I am using the Cary slp-05. The preamp has too much gain for the Nords (and may not be good fit) and hence I am using the single ended input instead of the balanced connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Devg View Post
    I am currently using the Sparkos for sometime and think they perform better (a bit more fleshed out sound) than the SI994 in my system...
    I think "fleshed out" is quite a good description of the Sparkos vs the 994 for the limited time I had to listen. I'll report back when I've actually experienced the change in my system too.

Super Moderator

Thanks Dev.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thanks Dev.

Joe, you are welcome. You should get a pair and try it out, either from Colin or from the Sparko website

http://sparkoslabs.com/product/discrete-op-amp-ss3602/
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Discret...-/141461456047

Super Moderator

Joe, you are welcome. You should get a pair and try it out, either from Colin or from the Sparko website

http://sparkoslabs.com/product/discrete-op-amp-ss3602/
    I have both the 994's and Sparkos. Lately preferring the 994's and either a tube preamp or my STP-SE. Can't go wrong either way. Both different flavors of great.

Nord One Up Ncore NC500 amps, Class D ready for prime time .....

NAD C 658 streamer.

I have both the 994's and Sparkos. Lately preferring the 994's and either a tube preamp or my STP-SE. Can't go wrong either way. Both different flavors of great.

Yes, absolutely. Can't go wrong with any one. The great thing about it is the ability to role op-amps to get that final tweak in sound to our liking. I wish Collin had designed the input board to take a wide variety of op-amps - I hear the Sitos and Weiss are great ones to be had with the NC500.

Hi mfin, great review. If you are interested in trying some Vovox balanced cables send me a pm.
    Last edited by alto; January 21, 2017 at 09:18 PM. Reason: question not required

I've had similar experiences with single ended vs balanced cables. When I bought the Nord I planned to use some RCA Nordost Tyr interconnects I had been using with my previous amp by adding a pair of Neutrik adapters but I also bought a pair of Colin's balanced cables to try. To my surprise a set of interconnects that cost considerably more than the Nord amp were no match for the performance delivered by Colin's balanced cables. A friend loaned me a set of Colin's RCA to XLR adapter cables to try but again the performance was much poorer than the balanced cables. I have since tried various makes of balanced cables and eventually settled on Nordost Tyr2 which sound superb. I suspect the balanced architecture of the NC500 modules works at its best when driven from a balanced source?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex 54 View Post
    I've had similar experiences with single ended vs balanced cables. When I bought the Nord I planned to use some RCA Nordost Tyr interconnects I had been using with my previous amp by adding a pair of Neutrik adapters but I also bought a pair of Colin's balanced cables to try. To my surprise a set of interconnects that cost considerably more than the Nord amp were no match for the performance delivered by Colin's balanced cables. A friend loaned me a set of Colin's RCA to XLR adapter cables to try but again the performance was much poorer than the balanced cables. I have since tried various makes of balanced cables and eventually settled on Nordost Tyr2 which sound superb. I suspect the balanced architecture of the NC500 modules works at its best when driven from a balanced source?

My experience has been that the Nords/NC500 reacts to the change in cables (both IC and Spkr) more than other Amps in my system. If you upstream components are all true balanced design, then a balanced connection is much preferable. What preamp are you using with the Nords ?

My experience has been that the Nords/NC500 reacts to the change in cables (both IC and Spkr) more than other Amps in my system. If you upstream components are all true balanced design, then a balanced connection is much preferable. What preamp are you using with the Nords ?
    I have a Linn Klimax DSM Mk3, transformer balanced output stage.

First proper customer feedback review on our new £749 MP Amp range.

Hi Colin
    My little review (Nord SE MP NC500) as it is at the moment, of which is my honest opinion (even if i was trying it and had not bought yet)-

When I first installed it and had it running (less then a couple of hours running) I didn’t like the sound, it was flat had no rhythm or sparkle and was just a bit boring, I was hoping it would get better. This was comparing to my Marantz and what I remember from listening to your NC500’s at the HiFi show.

After about 5ish hours it started to open up, sounded less flat and it had a bit more behind it. So after this initial listening I had it on as much as possible even to have the radio on in the background.

So after about 15-20 hours I put on some records that I know well and honestly It sounded like a completely different amp. In short it sounds absolutely fantastic. With a bit of Dire Straits the guitar work was so clear, with great drive and rhythm never heard it sound like this before. Now onto some Pink Floyd the bass on the wall album I could feel the bass with great depth and the way it holds onto the bass notes are quite astonishing even turned up to unsocial levels it never got to much with great clarity on all the instruments of which I didn’t know some was subtlety in the background, I do now. It also does subtleness and emotional songs really well.
    I didn’t realise amps could change so much in this day and age of tight tolerance components, so if you are demoing this amp make sure it has at least 20ish hours on it as i can’t see anyone not being impressed.
    I think the combination with the IPL S4’s (what a great combo) is hard to beat even after listening to some silly priced speaker amp combos at HiFi shows. It also shows how much more my speakers had to give, I wouldn’t think twice buying this combo again cracking amp and cracking speakers (I am glad I built them and listened to Ivans comments about your amps).

I have read a lot about D class amps online and this little amp doesn’t sound anything like people say they should, great high frequencies and very very musical. At this price as well this must be the best amp anywhere and I believe you when you say its close to your daddy amp. I will be keeping this for a very long time, unless you build a better one .

I will let you know more as it beds in, I am not sure if it can get better.

Thanks for great workmanship, I still think the case is stunning.

Ashley

http://www.nordacoustics.co.uk Nord Acoustics design and manufacture Nord Amplifiers in the UK. Hypex and ICE Power Amplifier Stereo to 8 Channel Amplifiers. We ship Worldwide.

Hey folks is anybody using any of these amps on 110 volts? And if so what is your opinion?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ron

I would expect that 90% of the users on this forum are in the US starting with Joe.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Oh ok. Joe is even in the states huh? Thanks.

Super Moderator

Yes, I am. NY baby!

Quote Originally Posted by RonDiy View Post
    Oh ok. Joe is even in the states huh? Thanks.

NAD C 658 streamer.

So these amps really do sound this good even on 110 volts.

I know I have been in this thread about four times tossing this around. As the prices climb higher and higher.

Super Moderator

Curious why 110V is so important. Do you have low voltage?

So these amps really do sound this good even on 110 volts.

I know I have been in this thread about four times tossing this around. As the prices climb higher and higher.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Ron

With the Brexit situation the prices haven't climbed and may still be down from when I purchased in the Spring. Any slight increase Colin may have made to account for supply costs has been offset by the currency devaluation.

I am noticing that the Euro is recovering a bit. It is way up from the middle of December. Not as high as when you jumped in however.

Me too as subwoofer manufacturers and DIY'ers have been using Hypex SMPS powered amp modules for many years.

Colin is using the British Pound though which is still down over 25 cents.

Curious why 110V is so important. Do you have low voltage?
    And to answer your question. No not low voltage. In fact I have pretty good power to my house. In fact it holds at about 122 volts. I was just using the standard 110 volts US as opposed to 220 in Europe. Should have been more specific. Sorry about that.

Super Moderator

According to Colin's specs:

Automatic 115V-230V operation

And to answer your question. No not low voltage. In fact I have pretty good power to my house. In fact it holds at about 122 volts. I was just using the standard 110 volts US as opposed to 220 in Europe. Should have been more specific. Sorry about that.

NAD C 658 streamer.

There is a jumper on the Hypex SMPSU that needs to be set correctly for European 180V-264V or US 90V-132V voltages. Running on either voltage with the jumpers set incorrectly is likely to be a fuse-blowing experience!

I am glad you said that. I was under the impression that the power supplies were auto switching.

Anyway for those of you that love your Nord amps. What other amps have you owned? How about any direct comparisons?

For background sake. I will be using these in a dedicated dual purpose room. I am using a surround processor. So no high end preamp. It is the Emotiva XMC1 processor for now. When the new flagship processor, the RMC-1 comes out I will be getting one of those. My speakers are Diy. They are absolutely incredible sounding. Very resolving. I can definitely hear the slightest difference in equipment.

So what do you folks think? I would be getting the up mono amps for the front three speakers. And undecided on the other 8 channels.

Thanks for any help with my questions.
    Ron

Just to clarify The NC500 needs a jumper change, the MP NC500 is automatic between 100-240V
    @Ron we are just about to release a 8 channel 250W per channel NCore amp at £1999 and there are plenty of wonderful comparisons from a very well educated bunch of Audio lovers contained in this thread as well as discussion on pre amps.

Thanks for responding Collin. I really don't know anything about these new mp nc500 modules. Mainly how they sound. And I don't know about a totally different sound for my three front channels and all the rest. I was considering the up models for my three fronts. Then two stereo regular models for now for the rest of the surround channels. Then I could upgrade these to the up models, as funds become available. Then one of these 4 channel mp models for my overheads speakers. I would think my best bet would be 4 of the stereo regular models for all speakers except the front three. Just don't think I can swing it funds wise.

Hi @ Ron, the Nord's are definitely the best sounding amps at their price point and considerably above. PM me if you want to know what I have compared them with. I'm not going to knock the opposition here.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Hi @ Ron, the Nord's are definitely the best sounding amps at their price point and considerably above. PM me if you want to know what I have compared them with. I'm not going to knock the opposition here.
    All you need now is to update your signature, like the one Joe has

All you need now is to update your signature, like the one Joe has
    You mean a picture of a furry animal?

I met Alto yesterday, a nice chap who's obviously had a lot of experience with some great high level hifi! I'll report back soon with experiences of the Vovox Vocalis XLR he's provided me to audition (connected from my Pre to NordOneUP SE Stereo with 994s).

Was great to hear a third system with the same Nord amps in place too.

Will report back for anyone who's interested very soon, comparing to the Mogami-Neutrik basic cables and Audience OHNO (same price range as the Vocalis).

Super Moderator

Absolutely interested in your thoughts, looking forward to reading what you experienced.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021222324252631 ... LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team