Nord One Up Ncore NC500 amps, Class D ready for prime time ..... - Page 101
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 101 of 123 FirstFirst ... 51 91 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 111 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1227
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nord One Up Ncore NC500 amps, Class D ready for prime time .....

A low gain tube preamp or passive like the STP-SE would be great with the 994 op amp!
    Joe

JOB 250 Monoblocks, Job INTegrated, Triode Corporation TRX-M845 Monoblocks, Ayre MX-R Twenty monos, Ayre KX-R Twenty, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Accuphase A-36, Cary 300B SE, JBL 4367, Falcon LS3/5a, Sonus Faber Stradivari, Revel Ultima Studio 2, JBL 4312D, Klipsch Palladium P17-b, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, KEF LS50, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber RCA and XLR cable, VPI Classic 3, VPI SDS, Lyra Kleos, Burmester 948, Metric Halo LIO-8, Lumin U1.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Joe, the STP-SE is a great match. If you find a tube preamp you like with a low enough gain that would be my first choice. It doesn't have to be extreme but you might be pushing it with gain numbers like with CJ preamps. My Modwright at 13 db is just about as high as I would try for, but my speakers are over 90 db. If you have low efficiency speakers you might have more choices.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon Dl-301 Mk II, Marantz HD-CD1, Auralic Aries, W4S Recovery, Aqua La Voce S2, Musical Paradise MP-D2, Modwright LS-100 with tube phono board, PS Audio BHK 250, Nola KO's, (2) Rythmik F12SE, PC's -Neotech & Triode Wire Lab, IC's & SC's- Audio Sensibility Testament, (2) Blue Circle PLC FX-2's with BC-62 PC's, PI Audio Uberbuss

Family Room - Oppo 83SE, Auralic Aries Mini w/LPS, W4S Recovery with iPower, Nuprime DAC-10, Oppo Sonica, Nord One Up SI, Spatial M3 Turbo S, (2) ACI Force XL's, Cables- Wireworld & Cullen Cable, SurgeX SA-1810

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tboooe View Post
    Wow what a great thread. I haven't posted in a while but this thread is really interesting. I am in the market for a new amp to drive my Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolutions. Like many I dismissed class D amps based on initial feedback years ago. Looks like class D have come a long way and the price can't be beat. I only wish Nord made an integrated amp. I am trying to keep my system as simple as possible. However, at these price points I could easily fit a killer preamp into the budget. Decisions decisions.
    I was in the exact same position as you. My first thought was also regarding an integrated, as it seems Class D has come a long way, so has integrated amplifiers in my opinion. And for someone like me who has invested heavily in cables, adding a pre-amp in between with yet another cable makes it very costly. I wasn't even looking for a power-amp, I was looking for an integrated, but I decided to finally go the balanced and DAC/poweramp combo with volume control and add those options to my LampizatOr DAC instead. We'll see how it works, if not the backup plan is to try one of the passives, like the Hattor for example.

4. Likes joeinid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Or you could consider going straight from a Lumin player with built in dac using your iPad for volume control. Another option is the SotM dac/pre or Benchmark DA3.

What case and colour are you getting?

Post Thanks / Like

That is a good idea to get a dac with a volume control. Unfortunately, I just bought one and volume control isnt available for it anyway. I guess I could control the volume via my playback software, HQ Player. I typically do not mess around too much with volume once I start listening so maybe I can this route and forget about a pre or integrated altogether.

I would get a SE case in silver.
    8TB NAS >> Wireless N >> CAPS Zuma Music Server >> JRiver MC >> Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable >> Musical Fidelity V-Link USB Converter >> Acoustic Zen MC2 SPDIF RCA cable >> Luxman D-06 CDP/DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution speakers

Post Thanks / Like

I have just bought a Lumin D1 and its works a treat direct to the Nord. I've only had a hour with it but functionally works very well, the volume control is very precise.
    One of my customers has also just bought the Benchmark DAC3 works well and has the advantage of an RCA in. They also sent him the power amp to try, he preferred the Nord. The dealer who sold me the Lumin bought some Nord's, he bought around a £3600 Gato Integrated for me to listen to, stunning looks but wooly compared to the Nord.
    http://www.nordacoustics.co.uk Nord Acoustics design and manufacture Nord Hypex Amplifiers in the UK. We also build IPL Acoustics Speakers and represent Abrahamsen Audio in the UK

8. Likes joeinid, CPP liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Great new website Colin!

Love the look.
    Joe

JOB 250 Monoblocks, Job INTegrated, Triode Corporation TRX-M845 Monoblocks, Ayre MX-R Twenty monos, Ayre KX-R Twenty, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Accuphase A-36, Cary 300B SE, JBL 4367, Falcon LS3/5a, Sonus Faber Stradivari, Revel Ultima Studio 2, JBL 4312D, Klipsch Palladium P17-b, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, KEF LS50, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber RCA and XLR cable, VPI Classic 3, VPI SDS, Lyra Kleos, Burmester 948, Metric Halo LIO-8, Lumin U1.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, new to this forum, but felt it was a good place to put my feedback on the Nord OneUp SE Stereo which I bought in Black a month ago, I had it with the SonicImagery 994's and Neotech internal speaker cable option.

So, a few notes on the system and history of things. The system I have it in has some remnants of Cyrus gear in it, the power amps I have used by them have stepped from the Power, to 2 SmartPowers in mono, to 2 APA7.5's, to 4 APA7.5's running bi-amped. These feeding Ruark Talisman 2's.

I have had the DacXP Signature being fed by a CD XT Signature, but the DacXP Signature was ditched for a Bryston BDA-2 Dac feeding and ATC SCA2 Preamp (the combination is much better in all respects for me, and it should be).

So, now the CD XT Signature feeds the Bryston BDA-2 Dac, feeds the ATC SCA2, feeds the Nord, feeding the Talisman 2's.

I don't particularly think it is worth talking about the SE case, it's nice and solid, smart and well finished. I will move on to what the amp sounds like, and also, having read much about the warming up (break in) of these amps I made sure I was ready to track any changes right from the off.

- continued next post -

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, a quick note about buying, I collected my Amp from Colin, and heard it connected to some of his IQ Speakers, which I believe were the ST2LK. He was feeding it from one of his Nord Preamps, from a Cambridge Audio CXN Streamer on the day.

I also heard the equivalent amp with Sparkos, and one of his new NC250MP Stereo Amps (so have opinions there too).

Initial impressions of his setup running my amp were of course in an unfamiliar room, using his speakers, so were more an impression of the system. So, what I thought was, whilst good, his system was not my cup of tea, and I mean the speakers. They sound big, deep etc, but the ribbon tweeters are not my cup of tea, so I found there was this big soundstage but the top end was a little harsh (as I knew this was my exact amp, I asked how long it had run, the answer was about 5 hours tops), so I was hoping this would not be a signature of the Nord amp, or that it would tone itself down a notch as it broke in. All guesses at that time.

So, the Sparkos comparison while there... I felt it was more natural immediately, warmer as is said by many, and it didn't highlight the ribbon tweeters slight harshness so much, the harshness I didn't like. But, I was left thinking I will not know until I use the amp in my system, referencing other amps I have had, what if any part of it was down to the Nord.

Here we better mention the NC250MP. Now, that, is going to be a winner for many people, it was seriously good in the limited time I had to listen there. So, at less than half the cost, the performance was seriously impressive, almost a sideways shift in sound not much a downwards one. Although, that's just quick impressions. So, if anyone's looking at those, I can say I was genuinely impressed.

--- continued next post ---

Post Thanks / Like

Ok... let's move to the Nord, plugging it in in my own system, day one, immediate impressions.

Note at this point my ATC SCA2 Pre is a fully balanced design with XLR outs (and ins if wanted) there to be used, even my Bryston BDA-2 Dac has single ended and a proper designed balanced outs option as well as its single ended RCA outs.

So, I have been running my Dac to Pre single ended, with Alaqeia Interconnect from Missing Link which has been a winner in my systems and in friends systems over a good dozen other interconnects tried. The Pre to Power, I have some Mogami XLRs built up, and this is what I started with (I can get the cable model if anyone is interested)... more XLR cable choice experiments will follow.

Ok, so I ran my system 24/7 to burn this in, and made notes as I went along. They are quite extensive, so I will write them up and post them in due course. For now, lets just give impressions from first day, and now....

First impressions in my system were:
    This is more trebley.
    This is has less bass.
    But, there is more sub bass when it is in the recording.
    ....so, I was left hoping the break-in stories are true, and was determined to be able to track any changes if I could as to where the improvements were.
    5 hours later, still on that first day, I noted that things seemed marginally better, but vocals had an edge, slightly raspy quality, that I hoped would go. I also noted that I'd had no real "smiling" moments yet, but with some CDs I was hearing some details I hadn't heard before.

So, I will write up all the progress of the warm up in due course, but let's skip to two weeks later, 300 hours of use...

Well, does the Amp break in? In short, yes, no question. It is now very transparent. What I have feeding it is good enough to now prove if the recording is bad, soft, thin, poorly produced or mastered it will show it. Get something good playing and it is great. My reservations about what I had heard on the IQ's ribbon tweeters at Nord and initially on my speakers I felt, in regards to harshness, had gone. There's still a lot of treble extension though.

I am thinking of trying the Sparkos still at some point, out of curiosity maybe now, but not out of necessity.

All in all the amp is a winner, no doubt about that. What I do think may differ in me changing to a Nord to some others though, is my speakers are remarkably easy to drive. So, I would expect other people who are switching to a Nord from a less capable amp in respect of "easy to drive" would be benefitting from that aspect of the Nord's capabilities much much more than me, so it's easy to imagine how some people will find the amp a revelation from day one.

--- continued next post ---

Page 101 of 123 FirstFirst ... 51 91 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 111 ... LastLast