Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Studer A726 Professional Tuner Monitor

I recently took delivery of a MINT and rare Studer A726 Professional tuner monitor. This is a fully balanced analogue tuner, circa 1983.

Purchased fully serviced and aligned from a Studer service centre in Switzerland.

This is unit is very special, not only voltage selectable to 240v, it has 12.5Khz microprocessor based manual stepping so station lock and gain can be finely adjusted. It has stereo and signal threshold filtering adjustment to facilitate station pickup and lockout. From what I have discovered, many local stations can be optimised off signal centre by as much as 5mhz and this tuner can take advantage of that.

It will only pickup with an external FM antenna and I am pleased it does not have an internal T antenna which would have had the potential to cause RF interference with other components.

So I had some time to rack this pristine looking piece this weekend. Even the front smokey tinted Perspex cover was near perfect after so many years.

I have terminated an RG6 75ohm quad shield Beldin 1189AS Coaxial cable with F-connector compression plugs and patched it to the same feed line to the outside aerial. Strong signal!

We were both blown away by the performance and capability of this 30 something year old pro-level analogue tuner and both of us agreed that it sounds better than any digital or internet radio we have listened to on this system. Indeed, it focus and soundstage really draws you in. It is as good as the best CD playback on our favourite local stations. What is also exciting, is its capacity to pickup and amplifiy weaker regional stations as if they were nearby. Yes, analogue still rules!

I did notice that on a couple of channels in the lower MHz range that there was a low frequency pulse below 30hz which was evident at very high volume levels. I'm thinking that it possibly may be some sort of reflection, 4G LTE or WiFi related interference. May have to experiment with some inline aerial filters.

I said to The Lady that this component is deserved of the Wireworld Platinum Eclipse XLRs. She concurred and said "well if you decide to repurpose those you will just have to replace them with yet another pair of Siltech Princess XLRs". So it looks like the WWPE will be re-purposed for this tuner!

Here is a photo of the Studer A726 racked directly above a McIntosh MC2301.

Attached Images Attached Images

Speakeasy

Re: Studer A726 Professional Tuner Monitor

That's a cool looking tuner. I'm glad you are enjoying it.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Studer A726 Professional Tuner Monitor