Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

McIntosh Balanced Line Integrator (BLI)

The BLI pair come with the C1000 and allow you to combine the C1000T and C1000P preampifers outputs for those amplifiers that do not have two XLR inputs on their amplifier. The C1000C controller ensures that only one output is active at any one time.

Ok so....

I have only the C1000T and even if I did have the C1000P, the MC2301s have two XLR inputs that are wired together internally. I would not require them for the intended application, however:

I am out of balanced pre-amp inputs and do not want to buy a C1000P. I'm not even sure I can even get one now.

I want to use these for sources into the C1000T because I am out of balanced inputs. The sources would not be on concurrently. Anyone tried this?

Similarly, can they be used in reverse for a rec-line? Worst case, there is s free XLR output which could do for a secondary rec source. Probably less than ideal but recording equipment has rec level adjustment.

I doubt this is possible for a MCD1100 and MDA1000 output combination, where the MCD1100 would be used as a digital transport because its fixed analogue XLR outputs are always hot. Perhaps the MCD1100 variable XLR outputs could work in this instance. Set it's level to zero when used as a digital transport, set to 82 which is the unity level of the fixed output when using it as a player....

I don't want to pull plugs to change sources and I would rather buy more cable and integrate into an existing line. I would be surprised if there would be any compromise with the BLI as they are very well made. I suppose the question is about any impedance drop but we are talking about a redundant source before the split.

After all of that, I would appreciate others thoughts and experiences with regards to integrating XLR lines.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by joeinid; February 13, 2016 at 08:38 AM.

Speakeasy

Re: McIntosh Balanced Line Integrator (BLI)

So who has used y-splitters or combiners on their source, anyone?

Maybe I need to go and ask the tech questions some place else.

Speakeasy

Steve.......I have a pair of the McIntosh Balanced Line Integrators. I used them only once. I had the C1000C/T and the C1000C/P, each in separate systems. I did a review on AA where I compared the C1000T to the C1000P and that required me to use the line integrators to connect both preamps to my power amplifiers. Since they are used in that configuration on the output stages of the tube preamp and the solid state preamp, the active signals that pass through the line integrators are controlled independently by micro logic controls in each preamp. At no time is it possible to have more than one active signal fed to the line integrator.

What concerns me about using the line integrators in the manner you suggest is there is no failsafe to ensure only one signal will ever be fed through it at one time. I metered all of the input and output pins for continuity. Every input and output pin is paralleled with each corresponding pin in all five connectors. Without some sort of way to absolutely ensure the two inputs you wish to use cannot become energized with a signal at the same time there may be a possibility of damaging connected components. I would be extremely uncomfortable to have two components energized with their outputs connected simultaneously to the line integrator. You risk back-feeding the output of one source into the output of a second source.

Ideally what you need is a balanced switched that allows you to select the input you wish, switching first through "off" before making the electrical connection to the preamp. Something like the Goldpoint Balanced Stereo Input/Output Control would be a safer way to go about your proposed input switching task.

http://www.goldpt.com/sw2x.html

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Dan... Thanks for setting me straight. Sometimes I try to talk myself clear of the inevitable. The Lady agrees that I have too much good gear to risk frigging around and I need another pre-amp.

The alternative is running Studer gear unbalanced and why would I want to do that when they are inherently balanced. Indeed some of it can't even be run unbalanced!

So if you want to sell me your C1000P, I'm open to discussion! Lol

I think It's time to make an inquiry with my Mac dealer, hopefully I can still get a new one.

Speakeasy

Have ordered a C1000P today to compliment existing C1000T and C1000C. This will solve my XLR dilemma. The amps will be driven by Siltech cable from both pre-amps.

I do have a need for the McIntosh BLIs as they will have to integrate a pair of JL F113 subs from both of the pre-amps' secondary outputs.

Speakeasy

Taking a break

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Have ordered a C1000P today to compliment existing C1000T and C1000C.
    I had assumed you had the trio and just was not using one of the chassis in your system. I use both. I use the solidstate chassis for digital playback - mb100 and solid-state for analog playback - turntable.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Have ordered a C1000P today to compliment existing C1000T and C1000C. This will solve my XLR dilemma. The amps will be driven by Siltech cable from both pre-amps.

I do have a need for the McIntosh BLIs as they will have to integrate a pair of JL F113 subs from both of the pre-amps' secondary outputs.

Steve.......
    I think you solved your issue in the best way possible. At the same time you have created options that would not have existed with any other choice. Once you have the C1000P installed I suggest you try the moving coil phono stage of the solid state C1000P. I prefer the C1000P phono stage over the C1000T phono stage. You may be pleasantly surprised.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Taking a break

Quote Originally Posted by Double-D View Post
    I suggest you try the moving coil phono stage of the solid state C1000P. I prefer the C1000P phono stage over the C1000T phono stage. You may be pleasantly surprised.
    Steve, Dan...influenced my decision to purchase the C1000 trio. I wouldn't have done so without his wisdom.

Dan...guided me with precision as to what components to connect to each of the two preamp chassis. I following his directions precisely and have not once doubted or questioned. Indeed, a flawless setup.

Dan... I'll be interested to compare the phono stages. The blackness of the
    solid state or the Telefunken Tubes.

I will also move the HT passthru over even if it will be to just help break in the new pre-amp for some time.

David...No I have only owned the C1000T and have enjoyed loading it up with the best vintage NOS tubes ever made. So given that I am running the T above factory specification, it will be interesting to compare the P side by side especially on the phono stage.

Speakeasy

Steve.......I will be looking forward to reading your impressions. Like you, I rolled an assortment of tubes through the C1000T phono stage and line stage, everything from factory tubes, NOS Mullard CV4004, Tung-Sol gold pin, Siemens, Gold Lion, Philips, and Telefunken. It was quite a learning experience and a great deal of fun. Ultimately though, I still found the C1000P solid state phono stage to deliver a much quieter, more dynamic and musically engaging performance than the phono stage in the C1000T. Both the C1000T and the C1000P possess excellent moving coil and moving magnet phono stages, but to my ears the solid state phono stage in the C1000P is the most satisfying.

I'll be watching for your C1000T/C1000P phono stage review.
    Dan

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

McIntosh Balanced Line Integrator (BLI)