Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Audioshark

What's the best tube phonostage you've ever heard?

As the title says...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: What's the best tube phonostage you've ever heard?

From the "Trinidad Connection"--Lionel Seemungal /Walter Yip Model circa early 70's--nothing bettered Tube wise so far in my view

Bruce

Caveat YVMV

I've only heard one in my system. The Modwright PH 150. It did give me a lust for tubes! I thought that it sounded very nice in my Chicago system. Of course I only have been reacquainting myself with vinyl. I'm open to ideas for phonostages.

Le Roy

Austin, Tx : Soulution 520 preamp, 501 mono blocks, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D3.1, Lumin U1, Uptone Audio Modded Mac Mini w/ MMK fanless kit & JS-2 LPS, Regen, Ansuz DTC loom (complete), Oppo 105D, QNAP TS-451+

Chicagoland : Soulution 725 preamp, 711 stereo amp, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D5.1, Naim UnitiServe 2TB, Aurender W-20 Ansuz DTC later generation wire, Teac X1000 R2R, QNAP TS-451+

Foundation:
    Raidho Rack system, Ansuz DTC Mainz8, Ansuz (2) Supreme Mainz D8 Distribution, 20 amp dedicated outlets via subpanel

Arc Ref2se

Allnic H-5000. Absolutely amazing.
    Regards,
    Steve

https://www.audionirvana.org/forum/t...geezr-s-system
    I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Aesthetix Io Eclipse with NOS tubes that have been carefully selected for all 32 positions......
    Dealer / Manufacture Disclosure:

Jeff Whitlock
    A/V Solutions / Unity Audio Design
    www.avsolutionsca.com

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

I agree with Jeff about the Aesthetix Io, a couple of friends own various versions of it which I always enjoy!

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by A/V Solutions View Post
    Aesthetix Io Eclipse with NOS tubes that have been carefully selected for all 32 positions......
    32 tubes is crazy.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    32 tubes is crazy.

and pricey!!
    Dealer / Manufacture Disclosure:

Jeff Whitlock
    A/V Solutions / Unity Audio Design
    www.avsolutionsca.com

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    32 tubes is crazy.
    One of my buddies has the Io with its dual external power supplies, along with the similarly configured Callisto linestage and Art Audio tube amps. His system tube count is around 76 last I checked, so when he has tube noise in one channel we have it narrowed down to 38 tubes and work down from there... It's all part of the game he says to have the enjoyment of a full tube system, and a Ferrari isn't easy or inexpensive to maintain either!

Audioshark

The new Tenor phono is supposed to be great.

BAT?

VAC?

Also, to SUT or not to SUT?

Manley Chinook...It's the only tube phono I've heard, liked what MDP and mep had to say about Chinook so bought it...Thanks to MDP and mep for advice...
    Bryston 14bsst2.. Lamm LL2.1 ..Magnum Dynalab FT101a with Md100 mod.. Cambridge 840c, Manley Chinook, Sota Comet T/T, Grado Prestige Red 1, VPI Classic 1 Ortofon Black 2M, Avanti Allegro din/rca phono cable, Kimber Hero, KS1016 i/c Kimber Bi-focal XL speaker cable... Legacy Signature 3 SE...
    GEAUX SAINTS...

I've had 5 over the years, the rhea, rhea sig, arc ref2se, nagra vps, and tron seven ultimate.
    Rhea sig was by far the most user friendly with 3 inputs and easily configurable but was a challenge to match quiet tubes.
    IMO, the Tron Seven Ultimate was the best for my setup. There is a GT version which is supposed to be even better.
    I'd add the VAC, on a shortlist if i was looking at top tube but i've only heard it briefly in show conditions.

Mike-The "best" tube phono stage has to be tied to the type of cartridge that you use. If you are a low output MC kind of guy, you need a phono stage with lots of gain which means you really need a hybrid tube unit that either uses FETs as the first gain stage or one that uses SUTs. Pure tube high-gain phono preamp=noise. I was never a fan of SUTs until I listened to and bought my Zesto Andros 1.2. Somehow George pulled off the perfect marriage between SUTs and tubes and we get the best of both worlds. Manley and ARC are two companies that go the opposite direction and use FETs although the Steelhead uses SUTs unlike the Chinook.

Mike, something tells me that if you had a B&M store, you would be carrying ARC gear. I think you heard their new phono stage, but I know you have to look for lines you can carry. And anyone that wants to deal with 32 tubes for their phono stage is a masochist no doubt. In one of the earlier iterations of my system, I had well over 50 tubes to care and feed for which is nothing short of a nightmare. I haven't done a count lately, but I'm sure I have over 30 tubes in total in my system now with a few more to add when my Ref 6 arrives this week.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

I had the tubed Thoress Phono Enhancer in my system for 6 weeks 2 years ago and it was superb......and extremely flexible as it has 5 inputs. amazing build quality point to point wiring and it does allow for different EQ curves.

I've heard the big boy Lamm and Ypsilon (and others) at shows from time to time and at a fraction of the cost of those the Thoress is in that ball park of performance.

and Reinhard is a real gentleman and very passionate about the product and music.

OTOH my favorite (preferred) sounding phono stage is the internal 'two' I have in my new 'solid state' darTZeel NHB-18NS full featured preamp. battery powered, amazing low noise, simple LED toggles for gain and loading adjustments. really a sonic wonder. sounds like music.....not tubes or solid state. forget about expensive power cords and interconnects and real estate for a pair of phono stages. those logistical and cost issues alone can pay much of the freight for the big bad dart pre......if you don't mind waiting a while in line.

I'll offer up the Sentec EQ-11. Though, not a fancy design (e.g., captive cord that runs to a wall wart transformer) or even pretty to look at....it sounds fantastic, is a tube rollers dream (requiring a total of four tubes) that responds well to NOS tube changes and also has six differing EQ adjustments for various (mono) record label curves that I've been wanting. Right now I'm running 1950's Swedish Military NOS 5751 Sylvania Triple Mica Black Plate & CBS 7318 tubes in it.

Since it's a MM design, I've got it partnered to an Auditorium A23 SUT to run with the Miyajima Zero or Ortofon Cadenza Bronze and the chain is fantastic with great macro and micro dynamics, wide and natural sound stage and accurate imaging.

The flexibility of the EQ-11's design is great for me but would likely be bettered by the AMR PH-77 Phono feature set or Thoress but both of those cost quite a bit more money. Now that I've lived with the ability to change various LP label EQ curves with the EQ-11 when playing mono records, it's a feature I don't want to be without in the future.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
    I had the tubed Thoress Phono Enhancer in my system for 6 weeks 2 years ago and it was superb......and extremely flexible as it has 5 inputs. amazing build quality point to point wiring and it does allow for different EQ curves.

I've heard the big boy Lamm and Ypsilon (and others) at shows from time to time and at a fraction of the cost of those the Thoress is in that ball park of performance.

and Reinhard is a real gentleman and very passionate about the product and music.

OTOH my favorite (preferred) sounding phono stage is the internal 'two' I have in my new 'solid state' darTZeel NHB-18NS full featured preamp. battery powered, amazing low noise, simple LED toggles for gain and loading adjustments. really a sonic wonder. sounds like music.....not tubes or solid state. forget about expensive power cords and interconnects and real estate for a pair of phono stages. those logistical and cost issues alone can pay much of the freight for the big bad dart pre......if you don't mind waiting a while in line.
    Thanks Mike. I've always been a fan of Thoress. I'm demoing the DSA PHONO II in my system now. It's solid state. It does some things better than my Air Tight phono/SUT REFERENCE combo, but it also lacks some of the tube magic if you know what I mean. It has better separation, but lacks tonal richness that only tubes can bring. It's all a trade off.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Mike-The "best" tube phono stage has to be tied to the type of cartridge that you use. If you are a low output MC kind of guy, you need a phono stage with lots of gain which means you really need a hybrid tube unit that either uses FETs as the first gain stage or one that uses SUTs. Pure tube high-gain phono preamp=noise. I was never a fan of SUTs until I listened to and bought my Zesto Andros 1.2. Somehow George pulled off the perfect marriage between SUTs and tubes and we get the best of both worlds. Manley and ARC are two companies that go the opposite direction and use FETs although the Steelhead uses SUTs unlike the Chinook.

Mike, something tells me that if you had a B&M store, you would be carrying ARC gear. I think you heard their new phono stage, but I know you have to look for lines you can carry. And anyone that wants to deal with 32 tubes for their phono stage is a masochist no doubt. In one of the earlier iterations of my system, I had well over 50 tubes to care and feed for which is nothing short of a nightmare. I haven't done a count lately, but I'm sure I have over 30 tubes in total in my system now with a few more to add when my Ref 6 arrives this week.
    Mark - you are correct on all accounts. My cart is ZYX Universe Premium. It does it all, so I don't see myself changing any time soon. The Manley Steelhead is still about as blue chip as you can get. I remain curious about the Tenor phono too. I'm also getting some great suggestions here.

There is nothing wrong with my AT ref combo...I just want to try a few other phono preamps. This DSA is giving me a good taste of something else. It definitely does some things better, others, not as much.

Mike have you ever heard this one. Zesto Andros PS1 http://www.zestoaudio.com/andros-1-2/ $4700

Attached Images Attached Images
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    Mike have you ever heard this one. Zesto Andros PS1 http://www.zestoaudio.com/andros-1-2/ $4700

I actually owned it. Great phono. I heard the new 1.2 is quite a nice bump in performance.

I'm going to wait for the Triode Junone Phono. What's the best tube phonostage you've ever heard?

The other one I'm jonesing for - and I don't know why - is the Viva 300b phono. Wait, I know why, 300b's!

does anyone of you, have experience with this one? I've ordered it for testing; should arrive in 2 weeks:

http://www.remton.eu/remton-383-mk2.html
    hifi:
    power: Audioplan Powerstar, Audioplan Finefilter, Audioplan Powerplant, Powercord
    tube amp: Jadis DA 50 Signature RC, Line Magnetic 508ia
    speaker: Living Voice Avatar 2
    turntable: Pro-Ject Xtension 10 + Ortofon Quintet Black MC
    phono stage: Remton 383 MKII
    cables: Audioplan Musicable bic 7a, Profigold, Wilbrand

home-cinema: Sony blu-ray, Yamaha rx v2700, Heco Metas 700 (4x), Heco center

I heard the Zesto and it was nice, but overall I preferred my Hagerman Trumpet.
    Vine, Vide, Velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post

She's a beauty Bob. Was it fairly quiet? Decent enough gain for low output MC carts?

Audioshark

She's a beauty Bob. Was it fairly quiet? Decent enough gain for low output MC carts?

Trumpet or Trumpet Reference? I reviewed both the Zesto 1.2 and the Trumpet Reference. If you are talking about the Trumpet, I can't imagine it sounding better than the Zesto 1.2
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Any thoughts on Thoress vs ASR vs FMA 122?

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

What's the best tube phonostage you've ever heard?