Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

What gives with my McIntosh MVP891

Last night was watching a dvd of 24. Went to change to next dvd and the MVP891 player said no disk. Then tried various dvds and cds. Same thing Put in a Blueray audio disk. Player showed unknown disk. But it will play SACDs and Blueray movies. Tried all 3 ways to reset microprocessor according to the manual. Anyone else have this problem??? It is only a year old.

Re: What gives with my McIntosh MVP891

I had MVP891 problems with the transport since day 1. I took it back to the retailer who sent it off for tracking adjustment. Problems solved.

Nevertheless, very annoying for an expensive McIntosh player.

Speakeasy

Morning Steve. Thanks for getting back to me. Did your retailer send your MVP891 back to McIntosh for repair? If so how long did it take to have it repaired ?

Retailer sent it to the importer/distributor who arranged to repair it under warranty. It did not go back to McIntosh but rather repaired locally. The turnaround was quick, less than a week.

Hope you can get it sorted quickly. My guess it is a laser tracking issue with the first laser.

Speakeasy

Morning Steve; I took my MVP891 to dealer in Ann Arbor. Going to take a few days for them to check it out. They are doing inventory. They said they will do the upgrades while they have it.

Morning Steve: My MVP 891 has been in the shop for over a week. They are waiting for a Mac tech for some reason. So I bought a Oppo BDP-103D from Audio Advisor while I wait. Might be the last time I buy McIntosh if their quality has become this bad for their high price. Take care. Bruce

Bruce... I don't blame you. Issues with McIntosh "source" is not uncommon. I hope they fix your gremlin.

Speakeasy

I think certain companies have specific areas of strength. I feel Mc is great with amps and preamps. Remember the MCD1100 fiasco?? Try an Oppo BDP-105 and your unit will be for sale and you'll have a bunch of cash to spare.
    T+A MP3100HV, T+A PA3100HV. Custom made Furutech cables with ETP-609 distributor with NCF outlets, Harbeth 40.2 Anniversaries.

Hello Steve. Got my McIntosh MVP891 back the other day. It had a ribbon cable that was a hair to short. McIntosh fixed it under warranty. They said some MVP's got out with short cables. Dealer went the extra mile for me. They gave it a through cleaning and checked for updates. So now I got the Mac and the Oppo to play with. Have a good day. Bruce

Taking a break

When I first was buying Macintosh equipment 2 years ago - the retailer I was working with brought out a total of five MVP 891s and everyone of them was broken. I purchased instead, two OPPO 105Ds

Golucid I can't complain about my MVP891 since Paragon Sight and Sound repaired it. They do great work. It is nice to have both the MVP8901 and the Oppo BDP-103D.

Super Moderator

Great news Bruce. Thank you for keeping us updated.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Got to take my MVP891 back to dealer for more repairs. It is not loading cd's sometimes. And when I take a cd out and close the tray it will say its loading a disc. Plus it has been getting louder when it loads the discs. What happened to McIntosh quality?????

Got to take my MVP891 back to dealer to hopefully get it fixed. The last fix under warranty lasted all of 4 months. Wonder if McIntosh has some sort of recall for the MVP891 ? I still have 1 year and 4 months left on the warranty. My Oppo runs circles around the Mac. Anyone else have this much trouble with their new McIntosh equipment ??? This might be the last McIntosh product I buy from them. Never have issues with my old Mac equipment.

For audio only (SACD) how does the Oppo compare to the McIntosh? I WAS considering a MVP891 but will rethink that strategy.

miner42 go with the Oppo. I got the bottom of the line Oppo. It is well worth the money. It's easier to work, remote is better, and better all around features. Emailed Mac about my problems with the MVP891. Gave them my phone #. McIntosh has not given me the time of day. The tech at Paragon is good. So I know its not his fault. I just ended up with a lemon McIntosh product. Should I ever by another Mac piece, I'll get something used from Audio Classic's. Unless Charlie Randall decides to do the right thing and replace my Mac. Which I doubt he'll do. As a matter of fact the remote for my MAC6700 receiver is not well made either. It had to be replaced. So happy shopping miner42.

The MVP891 is no longer available but would have bought used. Will most likely consider the ModWright Oppo 105D which would be used mainly (90%) for audio SACD/CDs. My MAC6700 remote seems to be holding up OK. Thank you for the reply SbS.

miner42 I was at my dealer yesterday to drop off my MVP891. The didn't say anything about it not being available. There was several on display. Where did you hear that ?

Via Chuck @ McIntosh

Good to hear. Did he say why ?

A newer model of video player

Hope they figured out how to make them reliable. I just called Chuck and left a message about mine. Thanks for heads up.

Miner 42, got a call from McIntosh a few minutes ago. They said they will make good on my problems. Talked to a guy that works in the same dept. as Chuck Hinton. They are going to call the tech at my dealer to help. And I mentioned the quirks with the receiver. He is sending the info I need to update the receiver. I feel hopeful.

Got the MVP891 back. The transport had to be replaced. So far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by surrounded by sound View Post
    Got the MVP891 back. The transport had to be replaced. So far so good.
    Bruce.......It will be good if this repair will keep you up and running for years to come. I wonder if there was any updated firmware installed at the same time.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Double-D its up to date. Updated my MAC6700 receiver too. McIntosh has quit making the MVP891.

I want to sell my MVP891. Condition is 10/10. Less than 100 hours. Original packing materials. Remote unopened. It has been to a McIntosh Service Centre for a head re-alignment and all is good.

See my FS: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...l=1#post172839

Speakeasy

SbS,
    Do you know what kind of update was done for the MAC6700? I bought mine about 3 mons ago and wonder if it is ready to be updated.

Watched some bluerays the other day. My MVP891 sounded like a garbage disposal when loading the discs. Seems like something is grinding inside. So its back to the dealer again. For the third time. I want a refund or a replacement. Think I'll get some satisfaction from McIntosh ? Wonder if poor quality is the reason McIntosh is trying to get people to trade up to the MVP891. Because they can't sell the MVP891. Anyone else have issues with their player ? My Oppo is a lot quieter.

Had to take my MVP891 to Binghamton, N.Y. for repairs again on 11/14/2016. Have not heard from McIntosh about the status of my player since I dropped it off. Anybody else have this much of a problem with their player ?

UPS just dropped off my MVP891 from the boys in Binghamton, N.Y. after the repairs. McIntosh replaced the loading belt,traverse assembly and the FFC cable And they aligned tray, lubricated slides, and performed tray noise modifications. It was cold from being in UPS van. Waiting for it to warm up before I put it back into the system tomorrow. If Chuck Hinton sees this. I would like to thank you for handling this and the tour of the plant. Plus I now have an extra outer packing box.

Little update on MVP891. The factory repair from McIntosh lasted a total of 8 days. It won't play any type disk. And it sounds like its grinding coffee when trying to load a disk. Is this the new norm from McIntosh ? Or did I get a lemon. Any thoughts from other owners ?

Sorry you're having that problem. I used to have all McIntosh gear (MC601's, MC303, C2300, MPC1500, MX151 among others) and when I sent my MX150 back for the 3rd time, I'd had it. They make amps like champs, but buyer beware on everything else is my experience. You're not the only one who's had problems with their gear, but they do produce a certain sound that some people love, which I get. I sometimes I miss my MC303 and MC601's.

I recommend you contact your dealer and relay how upset you are, make sure he gets in touch with someone at McIntosh who will give your player a thorough evaluation and ensure that whatever they send next time is going to work. If you love it, keep it and pray. Good luck, know you're not the only one who's gone through this.
    Ref System: Wilson Alexx on Stillpoint Ultras w/Base, dCS Rossini & Upsampler & Clock, Audio Research REF 160S, REF 6SE, WW Platinum Everywhere, Roon
    Office System: B&W N802D2, NAD M10
    Living Room System: B&W N804D, NAD M10, Velodyne DD+10
    Bedroom: Dynaudio Focus 160, NAD M10, Velodyne DD+10

radioactive I called my dealer first thing this morning. They are going to call McIntosh Monday. This will be the 4th time to be repaired. When I took it to Binghamton I personally spoke to Chuck Hinton about all the problems. I asked them to either replace it or refund me. All I got was a bad repair. You are right about their amps I have 2 MC7100's, a MC7300, MAC9700 receiver,MVP1500, C712 pre-amp, ML1 speakers, and the MQ101. They are good products. Only thing ever fixed on these are bulbs. My Oppo 103D is a better product for the money. I'd be happy if they admitted they made a lemon. Do you know if their AM/FM HD tuners are good ?

McIntosh replaced my MVP891 lemon with the new MVP901. It quit playing Bluerays last night (3/10/17). It plays all the types of discs. Put about 10 Bluerays init. Every time it read unknown disc. About ready to dump all my McIntosh equipment and try Bryston equipment. When I went to McIntosh Charlie Randall introduced himself as the janitor. Maybe he should go back to pushing broom. And quit making overpriced clocks and Blueray players.

My dealer came out to my house to see why my MVP901 that replaced my MVP891 quit working. They tested it and packed it up and took it back to the store. Don't know what McIntosh is going to do. Bryston is looking better all the time.

I would like to thank McIntosh for replacing my bad MVP891 and the bad MVP901 with a new MVP901. They gave me a full warranty. Works and sounds great.

Sorry to hear about the issues. My understanding (could be wrong) is that the MVP891 was based on the Marantz UD7006.
    Main System - Lumin U2, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, VTV Purifi 1ET-7040SA with tube buffer, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel S/812 subs
    Back-up 1 - Premium Audio mini Gan Amp, Oppo 103D, 2 Richard Gray cond, Selah SA-2s, Sumiko S5 sub, Teac UD-503 DAC, Carver (modded) C-9
    Back-up 2 - Onkyo TX-NR797, Panasonic DP-UB820, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, PowerSoundAudio S1500 sub

That i don't know Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by surrounded by sound View Post
    That i don't know Phil.

I've seen posts in a few places such as - https://www.audioaficionado.org/arch...p/t-13841.html

"I'm getting an 891 in a few weeks and will do a/b comparison with the 881. The 891 is based on the Marantz UD7006, which I also own in my studio room."
    Main System - Lumin U2, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, VTV Purifi 1ET-7040SA with tube buffer, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel S/812 subs
    Back-up 1 - Premium Audio mini Gan Amp, Oppo 103D, 2 Richard Gray cond, Selah SA-2s, Sumiko S5 sub, Teac UD-503 DAC, Carver (modded) C-9
    Back-up 2 - Onkyo TX-NR797, Panasonic DP-UB820, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, PowerSoundAudio S1500 sub

Just an update. The McIntosh MVP901 is still working like a champ. I dug out some bluerays I haven't played since my MVP 891 problems. The MVP 901 runs circles around the MVP891 when loading a disc. Sound is very good too. Everybody have a nice day.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

What gives with my McIntosh MVP891