Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Audioshark

Martin Logan Neolith

I've recently read the review in the TAS of the new Martin Logan Neoliths. I've now heard them three times. I heard them sound pretty good with very well recorded (read: audiophile) music, but once they switched to a less than stellar recording, they transformed and became quite nasty, thin and literally cleared the room every time.

Has anyone else heard them? Has anyone heard them in a good setting?
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: Martin Logan Neolith

I heard them in Toronto show and I think any speaker would have a hard time in that room.

Nice looking speaker but the sound was not great I was not reaching for my wallet . I would want to hear them again at lest a couple of times.

This is not cheap speaker to buy or to power not for me at this time.

It seemed well built and was better looking than any photo I have seen of it.
    Lyra Atlas, tri-planner, clear audio statement, Burmester 100, Ayre KXR20, Ayre MXR20, Ayre DX5, Adept Response line conditioner, Ayre signature interconnects, Cardas clear power cables,cardas clear speaker cables and Martin Logan CLX with Decenti subs with Cardas hex link.
    Not in use Infinity QLS and Ohm F

Audioshark

Martin Logan Neolith

Garth - I'm in agreement with you. "Not great". When I first heard them, MSRP had not yet been determined. The rep hinted at around $50k. I wonder how the price jumped so much above that?

Not worth it IMO. I can think of dozens better above $50k I would rather have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Been living with the Neoliths for about a month now and pretty excited. Have used with a number of different amps from ARC, CJ, Nagra, Pass and PrimaLuna, all good. These are the most tube friendly ML's I've ever heard. Stay tuned....

Its the best ML speaker i have ever heard

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    Its the best ML speaker i have ever heard
    I don't agree and many others agree with me. To me, the Renaissance is the best ML. I've heard the Neolith many times. MEH. Something weird going on.

Never heard the renaissance, did you hear the Neolith at shows or was it someones setup, i heard it in a private setting with devialet 400/400 ..

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    Never heard the renaissance, did you hear the Neolith at shows or was it someones setup, i heard it in a private setting with devialet 400/400 ..
    Well, let's see:

On Mc gear at RMAF
    On EMM Labs gear at RMAF
    On Constellation at CES
    And at least three more times.

Plus, at a local Florida dealers with Parasound JC1's.

I liked the Renaissance much better. I like ML's, just don't move your head. Martin Logan Neolith

Best ML setup, bar none, is George's (Audio Seduction). Also, probably the lowest noise floor of any system I've ever heard. George obsesses about noise floor and his work has paid off in spades. Fabulous.

I've never liked ML with Mac either. Always flat and lacking dynamics. Oddly, I'm getting incredible results with my little 20wpc Nagra 300i

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by tonepub View Post
    I've never liked ML with Mac either. Always flat and lacking dynamics. Oddly, I'm getting incredible results with my little 20wpc Nagra 300i
    I bet that's wonderful.

They really are like my quads, totally amplifier dependent. Some are magic, some suck!

Not an ML fan myself , but i did like the neolith and thought it with potential, I guess Mike needs to hear your setup ..

When I had the 2301's I tried them through the Summit X speakers i had at the same time as the Sonus Faber Strads, to say I was disappointed in the sound would be an understatement. My wife had been shopping & when she walked from the garage into the kitchen she bellowed what the hell is wrong with the stereo. I tend to agree with the Mc statement.

Of course the best combination I'm getting is with the Pass Xs 300s. (and Xs Pre/Xs Phono). My Quad 2812s sound amazing with those amps too.

2301s and Summits not a good match. No highs, no dynamics and no imaging. Just not a fit. The 2275 is not a fit either and that's a wonderful amp!

Couldnt find an impedance graph on the Summits , only this on their website ...
    4 Ohms, 0.7 at 20kHz. Compatible with 4, 6, or 8 Ohm rated amplifiers.

Would have liked to have seen mag and phase at say 12K-16K.

The 2301 has a 2 ohm tap , did you guys try it on the 2 ohm tap ..?

Audioshark

Of course the best combination I'm getting is with the Pass Xs 300s. (and Xs Pre/Xs Phono). My Quad 2812s sound amazing with those amps too.
    Pass with ML works great. George (Audio Seduction) has this combo and holy crap is it good. But trust me, those Renaissance ML's are the bomb. If you've got the Neolith's sounding good, I would love to hear them.

Well, perhaps you should come up and visit end of August? You are always welcome!

Just heard the Renaissance at a local Best Buy/Magnolia. Horrible setup... ~11 ft apart, toe'd in unevenly, listening position 6 ft from speakers. They were driven by ? Arcam separates (sales guy didn't know specs). Bass was overpowering, high's shrill. Don't know if they even ran the ARC bass correction. They're not going to sell any demo'd like that!

I really wanted to hear the Expression ESL 13A, but they didn't have any. Another local BB/Magnolia supposedly does, so hopefully set up better (though I doubt it).
    Squeezebox Touch/Bel Canto DAC 3.5VB + Oppo 205 > Conrad Johnson CT5 preamp and Premier 350 amp > Martin Logan Expression 13A's and two ML BF210 subs. Audience Au24e I/C's & speaker cable. Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society.

I've heard the new Expressions and they sound really pretty darn good. I've not heard the Renaissance yet but want to. I heard the Neolith's at a Magnolia at the Galleria in Houston and really wasn't impressed at all ... I agree with earlier comments that they were very thin and not much depth. They also were struggling to produce deep bass. I'm guessing the room has some issues. I have gotten really good results with my MC601's with my Ethos soon to be one of the newer pair ... but I run a Mark Levinson No326s pre and I like the synergy with that pre much better than the Mac pre's with the ML speakers and the 601's. I did try the new C1100 recently and still liked the Levinson better. Just personal preference for sure! :-)

Having heard the Neolith , they are not thin sounding nor lack deep Bass nor lack depth, if this is what others are hearing, very obviously poor setup structure and BTW , Historically , I never usually like ML speakers, ever , but their new range of speaker products are vastly superior to any before ....

Regards...

Quote Originally Posted by gadawg View Post
    I've heard the new Expressions and they sound really pretty darn good. I've not heard the Renaissance yet but want to. I heard the Neolith's at a Magnolia at the Galleria in Houston and really wasn't impressed at all ... I agree with earlier comments that they were very thin and not much depth. They also were struggling to produce deep bass. I'm guessing the room has some issues. I have gotten really good results with my MC601's with my Ethos soon to be one of the newer pair ... but I run a Mark Levinson No326s pre and I like the synergy with that pre much better than the Mac pre's with the ML speakers and the 601's. I did try the new C1100 recently and still liked the Levinson better. Just personal preference for sure! :-)
    I have heard the Neoliths three times. With solid-state amps I did not care for the system, but I believe it was not the speakers to which I objected.

When driven by tube amps I do not find the Neolith "thin" at all. A lack of depth and a lack of bass reflects room problems, not a fault of the Neoliths.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Martin Logan Neolith