Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Any vintage Denon turntable owners here?

I love the look of many of the vintage Denon direct drive turntables and have always wanted to find a good collectible for a second system...

Denon tables were popular at radio stations. Many were loaded with features such as auto lifters or were even fully automatic.

Who here has a vintage Denon table?

What is your favourite DP model?

How quiet were their direct drives?

Post your Denon table pics here.

Attached Images Attached Images

Speakeasy

Re: Any vintage Denon turntable owners here?

I've got a Denon with an SME 3009 arm.
    "Never mistake education for intelligence"

I inherited my father's Denon DP-62L and added an Ortofon 2M black to it as a cartridge. Definitely not SOTA but I like the sound. Upgrading is on my list of things to do down the road once other parts of my system are finalized.
    McIntosh MC501s, XRT29s, XR27, WS350s
    ModWright LS 300 preamplifier
    ModWright PH 9.0XT phono stage
    Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
    Cambridge Audio CXNv2 with ModWright Truth Tube Modifications
    Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
    Outlaw 7000x HT Amplifier
    Denon AVR-X4700H HT Receiver (pre-amp mode)
    JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
    ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
    WyWires, LAT International, Wireworld Cables

I run a DP-1250 with a Sumiko MMT and Ortofon 2M blue in my 2nd system. It's one of the pieces I have had the longest, and it's not going anywhere. Reliable and great sounding.

- Woody

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've got two Denon DP-52F's one with a DL-302 and the other has a DL-103.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum cb5300, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I am hoping to someday find the time to refinish the plinth on this DP-3000. I love the look of this table. this one is excellent mechanically, just needs some TLC.

L
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Audio Den

Audio Physic, B&W, Dynaudio, Magnepan, Paradigm, Golden Ear, Wilson Audio, Audio Research, Anthem, Arye, Bel Canto, Classe, Constellation Audio, Esoteric, JL Audio, Marantz, McIntosh, NAD, Parasound, PrimaLuna, Rotel, Simaudio, Technics, Clearaudio, Dr. Feickert, EAT, Pro-Ject, Thorens, Benz Micro, Denon, Grado, Ortofon, Sumiko, Audioquest, Nordost, Shunyata, Transparent Cable, Audeze, Sennheiser, King Sound, Master and Dynamic, Okki Nokki and many others.

I've got a mint DP-2550 with a custom made solid black acrylic Armboard and an Audioquest PT-8 Arm.
    Main System: Bryston 7BSST2 Monoblock Amps (2) McIntosh MX-130 AV Pre/Tuner, Sutherland PHD Phono Stage, Modified VPI HW-19 MK-IV with custom mounted AQ PT-9 Tonearm, VPI SAMA, and VPI SDS, ZYX Airy 3X SB Cartridge, CAL Audio Delta/Sigma II DAC, CAL Audio modded Delta/Alpha DAC, TEAC 3340S & A2340R R2R Decks, JBL 4430 Studio Monitors, Cabling AQ, Wireworld, Straightwire ICs, homebrew 10 White Blue Jeans Speaker Cable.

I own a DP-755 Denon direct drive TT. Recently installed an SME M2-9R tone arm and Rega Exact cartridge. If memory serves, I bought the Denon in the 1980’s. While it was in moth balls, I was using a Thorens with a bouncy, Linn Sondek type suspension. Was so happy to go back to my Denon. All that rubbish in the 80’s and 90’s about the horrors of direct drive and the redeeming quality of belt drives. I wonder who started that rumor. Well I guess you can tell my feelings about that lie. Sorry to say I fell for it.

When I went back to my Denon It surely did not sound like the Thorens. Inadvertently I swapped the platter mats and the Denon sounded every bit as good (and better) than the Thorens. I love the tork of the Denon and of course the impeccable speed stability. I am constantly reminded how good my analog rig sounds. I will admit it’s no VPI Avenger or VPI Prime Signature for that matter, but so what. It’s like the rock of gibralter.
    == Joe ==

I've got a Denon Dp-62L that I bought from the original owner about four years ago in near mint condition. It was was replaced by an even rarer JVC QL-Y7 but it is still around until I decide to sell it or put it back in rotation. The current manufacturers are still trying to figure out how to replicate the DD motor stability from the peak of Japanese TT manufacturing. That has been replaced by fancy plinths and space age tonearm materials with inferior motor systems. It's the reason that Technic's turntables are back and they were nowhere near the cutting edge in that era, but they still had the ability to re-start production while the other leaders in the field did not.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I've got a Denon Dp-62L that I bought from the original owner about four years ago in near mint condition. It was was replaced by an even rarer JVC QL-Y7 but it is still around until I decide to sell it or put it back in rotation. The current manufacturers are still trying to figure out how to replicate the DD motor stability from the peak of Japanese TT manufacturing. That has been replaced by fancy plinths and space age tonearm materials with inferior motor systems. It's the reason that Technic's turntables are back and they were nowhere near the cutting edge in that era, but they still had the ability to re-start production while the other leaders in the field did not.
    Seriously? You don't think the SP-10 MKII and MKIII were at the cutting edge of DD tables when they were being manufactured and sold?
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Mark

I am well aware of the technical merits of the Technics "professional" line of DD tables, but that is not what the average consumer equates with the Technics brand and not what they started their re-entry to the field with. Instead they started with their "famous" model from the SL line most consumers saw and used. Many of the other Japanese brands of that era also had "professional and broadcast" models that rarely saw the light of day in the US.

OBTW, congrats on you retirement and move.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Mark

I am well aware of the technical merits of the Technics "professional" line of DD tables, but that is not what the average consumer equates with the Technics brand and not what they started their re-entry to the field with. Instead they started with their "famous" model from the SL line most consumers saw and used. Many of the other Japanese brands of that era also had "professional and broadcast" models that rarely saw the light of day in the US.

OBTW, congrats on you retirement and move.
    Thanks. Things are coming together nicely and we love our new home and location. The new SP-10 that Technics is bringing to market now is supposed to be an improvement upon the SP-10 MKIII and we all know what they have been selling for on the used market. Those prices might fall apart now that the new table will be available.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Glad things are working out for you in the new situation. Are you still happy with the KO's in the new room? I've been kind of considering changing from time to time but wonder how much it would cost to do much better unless I went in a different direction all together like the AG's.

Where did this thread go ?
    == Joe ==

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph R. View Post
    Where did this thread go ?
    id love to get my hands on a nice vintage denon table. my buddy who moved a few years ago had one, i tried to buy it off him, but he took it with him.
    Steve

TUBES & VINYL
    Is there anything else?

Rega/Ortofon/Viva 300b/KR

Music Reference 2A3

Altec/JBL

Quote Originally Posted by Petro85 View Post
    id love to get my hands on a nice vintage denon table. my buddy who moved a few years ago had one, i tried to buy it off him, but he took it with him.
    I can understand how you feel, I have 4 Denon TT, (2) DP-52F, a DP-59L, and a DP-61F, all are running Denon MC cartridges...I have been very happy with the Denon brand for many a year. My first table was a DP-52F (still have that table) that I bought in 1982...

I bought a DP 40f in 1981 and am using it regularly. The tone arm has a mind of it's own and wont go where I want it to so I just move it manually.

Quote Originally Posted by wjw300tt View Post
    I bought a DP 40f in 1981 and am using it regularly. The tone arm has a mind of it's own and wont go where I want it to so I just move it manually.
    Sorry I cannot be of service, but my guess is that the setup may be out of kilter. But I honestly never owned a Denon tone arm.

I am still playing the Denon DP-755 that came sans a tone arm. I have tweaked it somewhat. I am using an SME M2-9-R tone arm. I replaced the stock VDH501 phono interconnect with an Audioquest (don't know the model) and used 90° switchcraft RCA connectors on the tone arm side. Unfortunately SME got stuck with this old design of using RCA connectors instead of DIN. The Denon has very little room to accommodate RCA's. But the Switchcrafts are a match made in heaven. I replaced the Rega Exact with a Nagaoka MP500 MM cartridge. The Nagaoka's high frequencies are so good (especially with the Audioquest phono interconnect) I would compare it to any MC cart out there. It goes to the stratosphere. This TT rig will be my last. I am that happy. But I must admit to going through great pains to eliminate RF and hum. I eliminated all switching power supplies from the sound room, and converted the TT lamp to battery power. The TT is now as quiet as a church mouse. No, analog is not a walk in the park.

Oh yea. I bought this TT in 1979.
    == Joe ==

The control for the arm is a knob you rotate to move the arm. I think it is a common problem with the model as I have read of other owners with the same issue. I may get some deoxit and try that on the control.

I assume then, this knob controls the arm electronically. If it is a mechanical control a lubricant like WD40 might work better. Just a suggestion.
    == Joe ==

I assume then, this knob controls the arm electronically. If it is a mechanical control a lubricant like WD40 might work better. Just a suggestion.
    Yes pretty sure its electronic.

Quote Originally Posted by cb5300 View Post
    I can understand how you feel, I have 4 Denon TT, (2) DP-52F, a DP-59L, and a DP-61F, all are running Denon MC cartridges...I have been very happy with the Denon brand for many a year. My first table was a DP-52F (still have that table) that I bought in 1982...
    just noticed this thread. I also still have the DP52-F I bought new in 1982. Currently running an AT440lb cart (I might have the letters wrong).

Still works and sounds great on my Maggie MGIIIa speakers and Bryston amps.

which MC carts are you using DL-103 or others?

I bought some deoxit and voila! Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by wjw300tt View Post
    I bought some deoxit and voila! Problem solved.
    Great news !!!

Still happy with the same setup. But I must admit my dedication to analog is wavering. I decided to go on a spending spree last November, and buy some new vinyl. Here it is April and I still haven't opened some of them. Yet I still find time to tweak till the cows come home.

Sad......very sad....😢
    == Joe ==

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Any vintage Denon turntable owners here?