Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Gershman Acoustics anybody?

I attended Newport and RMAF this past year and was disappointed that Gershman Acoustics were not there, at least I think they weren't. Anybody have a chance to hear their more recent speakers like the Grande Avant Garde? How would you describe their sound and do they compare to anything else out there? I got a friend who came across a used pair and asked me if I thought they were considered a great speaker. Anybody willing to share some thoughts?

Re: Gershman Acoustics anybody?

The Black Swan (I don't know if it is current) got very good reviews, and impressed me very much when I heard them a few years ago. I think they might be a little over-priced, though.
    Rob
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;
    Adona rack, ​​​​​Stillpoints, IsoPods, ASC, GIK Acoustics accessories

Quote Originally Posted by rbbert View Post
    The Black Swan (I don't know if it is current) got very good reviews, and impressed me very much when I heard them a few years ago. I think they might be a little over-priced, though.
    High end over priced lets hope that does not catch on, who knows what that could lead to.
    Lyra Atlas, tri-planner, clear audio statement, Burmester 100, Ayre KXR20, Ayre MXR20, Ayre DX5, Adept Response line conditioner, Ayre signature interconnects, Cardas clear power cables,cardas clear speaker cables and Martin Logan CLX with Decenti subs with Cardas hex link.
    Not in use Infinity QLS and Ohm F

I heard the Grande Avant Garde few times and almost purchase the used one few months ago but I got beaten by one other guy.

I loved them but you do have to careful with gear choice. I would highly recommend them if your friend has a nice gear to pair them with.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    I heard the Grande Avant Garde few times and almost purchase the used one few months ago but I got beaten by one other guy.

I loved them but you do have to careful with gear choice. I would highly recommend them if your friend has a nice gear to pair them with.
    Any particular gear you have in mind? Warm tube kinda sound or detailed and lively.

Seems their bass performance gets the most attention from what I've read, how would you describe their midrange?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tomy2 View Post
    Any particular gear you have in mind? Warm tube kinda sound or detailed and lively.

Seems their bass performance gets the most attention from what I've read, how would you describe their midrange?

Thanks!
    I was impressed with this particular system

Other time I heard with class AB with Esoteric ...Not so much.

The midrange is actually surprisingly good. Nice warm touch to it too.
    Paul

I have had Avant Gardes in my main system for a while now and have been very impressed. They are great speakers which are slightly warm and rich in the bass with great mids and a silky top end. I use them with a Modwright pre/power setup.

I'm hoping they attend the Munich show next year. Its a real shame that they are not represented here in the UK.
    Preamp: Aesthetix Calypso Signature
    Power Amp: Aesthetix Atlas Signature
    DAC/CDP: Aesthetix Romulus Signature
    Phono: Aesthetix Rhea Signature
    TT: Kuzma Stabi Ref 2, Kuzma 4Point 11, Hana ML
    TW Acustic Raven One, Raven 10.5, Shelter 5000
    Speakers: Acapella High Violin MkIII

Outstanding speakers , Eli Gershman is a very talented speaker designer. I owned the Avant Gardes , later upgraded to Grandes - I think the ones Paul missed buying

For a 12" X 12" footprint , I have rarely heard better small floorstanders with prodigious bass and a smooth top end. Excellent matches with Pass , Lamm and VAC but can be a little power hungry.

I have heard original Grand Avant Garde’s many times at a friends home. They sounded good to great depending on the electronics. The setup did include five active subs. I also auditioned them at a dealer and was underwhelmed. Apparently the Symphonic Line integrated amplifier and/or the Yamaha CD player did not do them justice. These were the latest designed “Grands”. I left it with the dealer to consider the regular Avant Garde’s when available. I understand they have been redesigned and are now sealed boxes. Something my small sound room can surely accommodate. I can find no information about the regular Avant Garde’s from the manufacturer’s web site. Their site leaves much to be desired. I did hear their TOTL Posh loudspeaker at Axpona Chicago 2018. Not impressed.
    == Joe ==

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Gershman Acoustics anybody?