Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: How Did You Become an Audiophile?

I was a musician who was cursed with talent at the wrong time in history. I was one of the top two drummers in the area I lived. But, in the late 60's I saw friends brains deteriorating from drugs, and some even dying long before their time. I had been sucked into that world for about a half year. I landed a gig in one of the best bands in that area. No one could touch us.

Then, seeing it was a dead end street. That to go higher up the feeding chain meant only deeper into a hole. So.. one day at practice, I up and quit the band.

Later, realizing there were no musicians with a straight head on their shoulders at that time. I sold my drums and quit cold turkey. I had a drummer friend passionately tell me he thought I was crazy for quitting music. So be it. I saw too many young men dying before their time. And, that world was making me miserable. It used to be such sparkly fun and excitement. Now, it was heavy and depressing.. but very energized at the same time. It was a great paradox. It was why so many rock greats were overdosing and no longer with us...

Life at that point became as if I had cut off my right arm. A weird deep depression set in ..I finally understood how depression can not be explained to another unless you experience it for yourself. . But, I knew I needed to go through it to escape what I was leaving behind.

In retrospect, I realize now I actually mourned for years my own death because I absolutely loved music and playing in good bands. But... it was no longer to be. Its was as my only true love died, and left me alone.

That was during the Vietnam years, which added to the gloom. Then one day. I found a job at a BSR factory a few miles from where I lived. They made popular turntables. One thing led to another, as I got to know people in the audio industry.

After that job I walked into an excellent training school in Audiophile-ism. A high end stereo shop owned by audiophiles. (Ear Drum Audio, in Nanuet, NY) Famous musicians shopped there as well as the blue collar workers. Then.. as I learned, I landed the likes of a traded in McIntosh MC 275, and C20. Yes, tubes. I learned about tubes from an engineer at BSR (Jack Dodgson) who used to work for Fisher electronics in its glory days. After asking advice he steered me towards tubes at a time solid state truly sucked in comparison.

And, ever since? I have been a serious audiophile.

I had become an active musician once again, by proxy.

"Audiophile." ....... That word? I love the sound of it.

From Georgia, Gene Z.
    Gene

Schiit Yggdrasil DAC / Pangea Audio Premier XL twin lead USB cable/ WyWires Blue balanced cables/ Schiit Freya S Preamp /TDSS modified NuPrime ST-10 amplifier/ Audience 1+1 V3 speakers / Audience Ar6 TSSD power conditioner. NoNoise Fanless SDD computer/ BBE 282ir / Litz cabling all around.

Thanks for sharing Gene!
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

I've always loved music, the better it sounds the more I enjoy it. I bought my first integrated in elementary/junior high. Tone controls, cassette, cd, dac, all in one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Speaker: Rockport Avior & Mira, B&W 803 D
    Amp: Nagra HD Monos, McIntosh Mc303 & 601
    Pre: Nagra HD pre
    Source: Esoteric K-01X & G-01, Aurender W20
    Cable: Transparent Ref Gen 5 SC & Ref XL PC
    Grounding: Tripoint Elite, Thor SE, Emperor Mkii

My earliest musical experiences started with the jukebox in my mother's neighborhood soda fountain hang out. We moved there when I was three years old (1953), at the advent of rock and roll. So I remember listening to rock and roll from it's very beginnings. Just a few years later, around 1959, we purchased a Zenith console stereo with a record changer and AM/FM radio. About the same time my cousin came home from a tour with the Marines. He had purchased an incredible sounding component stereo system while overseas. I think it was that stereo system that prompted my parents to purchase their console stereo. I remember my cousin's system even had high end headphones in addition to bookshelf speakers with tan, woven grilles, very much like Advent or possibly Acoustic Research speakers. I just remember it sounded wonderful. I can even remember my cousin having an album by jazz artist George Cates that had the word "percussion" in the title. It sounded wonderful through my cousin's system. I think my father must have heard my cousin's system as he soon after purchased both the console stereo and the same album.

I wore that console out. I remember when I first heard The Beatles while listening to the stereo's AM/FM radio on station KAAY, Little Rock, Arkansas, one of the first 100,000 watt stations. It was our main stereo until I was a senior in HS (1967/1968) when my parents bought me a Sylvania component stereo system for a graduation present. It had
    Sylvania "air suspension" speakers, and a Gerard TT/record changer which I owned until I was married in 1976.

In 1978 I really got bit by the high end stereo bug. At that time there were stereo stores everywhere, even in small towns. I saved my money and after about a year and a half I purchased my first high end stereo system...Sansui AU20000 integrated amp, six JBL L-166 Horizon speakers (one pair for downstairs, two pair for upstairs). Sansui manual TT with Stanton cartridge, one of the first programmable TTs made by ADC, a dbX expander/compressor, a device made by Gerard that (sort of) removed clicks and pops from records, Fisher cassette recorder/player, Kenwood AM/FM tuner. It sounded KILLER, especially for the times.

I wore it out until the Sansui amp quit working in the early '90s. I stupidly ran my guitar amp through the Sansui amp so I could practice with headphones and not disturb the neighbors. That eventually fried the Sansui amp and almost cooked the guitar amp. I gave my entire system to my best friend in the early '90s. He couldn't afford to have the amp repaired and he took the entire system to the dump...sniff, sniff. Fast forward to the present...bitten again (it's all Mike's fault) . I'm about 1/2 way to my new dream system...I've ordered a new set of Harbeth Super HL 5+ Anniversary speakers with stands and Rockett 88 and MacKenzie cables, and immediately after the first of the year I'll purchase a Luxman 509X integrated amp, Lumin D2, Roon Nucleus+, any other software/hardware I might need, and possibly a subwoofer.

I have an early '90s Technics DD33 direct drive, quartz, automatic TT that my sister gave me. It's in mint condition but I have no idea how it sounds. Guess I'll find out after the first of 2020. Although I'll have to borrow vinyl to hear it. I'm massively embarrassed to say I gave ALL my vinyl away about 10+ years ago thinking that vinyl was going the way of the Model T Ford. Man, was I ever wrong?!! Guess
    I'll have to do some pawn shop vinyl hunting.

BTW, I've played guitar in bands for 56 of my 69 years. But these days (and 10 years prior) I've switched to playing bluegrass music exclusively. I also play banjo and mandolin. That's quite a switch from the jazz rock fusion and funk music I played in the '70s and soul music of the '60s. Lots of turns and twists in the road in my lifetime. Anyway, that's my story...so far.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

How Did You Become an Audiophile?