Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

ARC GS150 ? Any owners here care to share their opinion?

So, here I am, looking at all the cool new gear/speakers and wondering who has the ARC GS150 and what they think about it. The looks are really growing on me.

Usually someone chimes in and says "why don't you buy it and find out?", I will, but still looking for opinions. Could be wonderful with an ARC Reference 6.
    Last edited by joeinid; December 12, 2015 at 09:13 AM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Re: ARC GS150 ? Any owners here care to share their opinion?

Joe.......I agree, the Ref 6 with the GS 150 would be a formidable system. Initially I was not drawn to the new aesthetics but the appearance of the new Audio Research gear is growing on me,

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Super Moderator

Very nice Dan! Thanks.

I was smitten with the GS Pre and GS150 on the Wilson Sasha2. I can only imagine how amazing it will be on my Strads. OMG!
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Audioshark

The GS150 has fans on the back. I wonder if they are audible?
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Didn't you have the GS150 in house for awhile Mike? Probably depends on how quiet your room is and how close you sit to the amp. Reminds me of when I was selling a house in Maine that sat back 160' from the road. I'm standing outside with my realtor and a prospective client and everything is going great and my realtor turns to me and says "How about that road noise?" I'm thinking "How about a black eye?"
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Didn't you have the GS150 in house for awhile Mike? Probably depends on how quiet your room is and how close you sit to the amp. Reminds me of when I was selling a house in Maine that sat back 160' from the road. I'm standing outside with my realtor and a prospective client and everything is going great and my realtor turns to me and says "How about that road noise?" I'm thinking "How about a black eye?"
    No, I would love to try it. I heard the GS150 at many shows and it always sounded great.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

No, I would love to try it. I heard the GS150 at many shows and it always sounded great.
    I have only heard it at shows and I second your opinion. It sounded great every time I heard it as well. It kind of sits at the point for me where I really don't want to go past with a tube amp. And by that I mean the number of output tubes per channel. One of the reasons I love my Ref 75 besides the fact it sounds great is that it only uses a single pair of output tubes per channel. It's easier to match a pair of output tubes than it is a quad. It's also cheaper to buy a pair of output tubes per channel than a quad. The Jadis Defy 7 MKII drove me nuts with 6 output tubes per channel.

I would love to hear the GS150 in my system. ARC is running the KT-150s so conservatively which should make them last a very long time. The GS150 could easily be the GS200 or GS225 if the output tubes were run in the traditional manner. Of course that would require a different power transformer and output transformers.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Mike, take what I say here with a grain of salt. I recently had a chance to talk with an ARC guy about another tech matter and asked him how the Ref 150 SE compares to the GS 150. FWIW, .... and take this with a grain of salt, ... I was told the two units should sound the same. Period! The main difference is aesthetics.

But don't take my word for it. Do an "A/B" comparison of the amps .... but both have to be broken in. Or call ARC yourself and ask your contacts about the two units.

So ... if you buy-in to what I am saying, the question could be reframed as how does the Ref 150 SE or GS 150 sound? And if you asked me that question, I would tell you that the Ref 150 SE, and presumably the GS 150, is a terrific sounding amp. Very liquid and open sound. Terrific bass control. Great soundstage. All the usual audiophile superlatives.

BIF

I understand that the circuitry is the same ... perhaps identical. The difference is in the skin.

Just sayin'

BIF
    System description: VPI Classic "2.7" (basic Classic turntable plinth, with Classic 3 tone arm base and SS wand; upgraded stock Classic 600 rpm motor for 300 rpm motor); Lyra Kleos cartridge; VPI periphery ring and SS clamp; 35 pound maple TT slab base; ARC phono 3SE ; ARC Ref 6SE linestage; ARC Ref CD-9SE CD player; ARC Ref 150 SE power amp; Paradigm Signature 8 (v3)speakers w/ BE dome tweeters; Kimber Hero I/Cs; Kimber speaker cables.

Super Moderator

Hi Mark,

I've been reading the owners manuals online at ARC and even with the KT150, tube life in the manual still states to replace at 2K hours. However I remember when ARC said it was ok to replace the KT120 with KT150, tube life increased to 3K hours. I'm not sure if the 2K tube life is an oversight (or their conservative rating) in the manuals but it's a bit confusing.

From the manual ...

The KT150 power vacuum tubes in your GS150 have an average life span of approximately 2000 hours. The smaller 6H30 vacuum tubes have alife span of approximately 4000 hours. Actualtube life will vary dependant on the frequency and manner of usage of the amplifier.

. Edit .....

I would love to hear the GS150 in my system. ARC is running the KT-150s so conservatively which should make them last a very long time. The GS150 could easily be the GS200 or GS225 if the output tubes were run in the traditional manner. Of course that would require a different power transformer and output transformers.
    Last edited by joeinid; December 12, 2015 at 12:08 PM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Hi Mark,

I've been reading the owners manuals online at ARC and even with the KT150, tube life in the manual still states to replace at 2K hours. However I remember when ARC said it was ok to replace the KT120 with KT150, tube life increased to 3K hours. I'm not sure if the 2K tube life is an oversight (or their conservative rating) in the manuals but it's a bit confusing.

From the manual ...

The KT150 power vacuum tubes in your GS150 have an average life span of approximately 2000 hours. The smaller 6H30 vacuum tubes have alife span of approximately 4000 hours. Actualtube life will vary dependant on the frequency and manner of usage of the amplifier.
    I think the owner's manual wasn't changed to reflect the use of KT-150 tubes from the traditional output tubes ARC used to run. ARC is not recommending changing KT-150s out at 2000 hours. The best indicator for home users with regards to how their output tubes are aging is when you bias them. As the tubes age, you will find yourself turning the bias adjustment up more and more in order to keep the tubes at the optimum bias point. Eventually, you will run out of range on the bias pot and you won't be able to maintain the correct bias. You really don't want to reach that point because you are past the point when you should have switched them out.

I don't think KT-150s have been out long enough for meaningful data to be gathered on what we can expect for average life. Because the KT-150s are loafing in most of the circuits they are being used in, I won't be surprised if they last a minimum of 4000 hours and possibly much longer.

Super Moderator

Makes sense. I just thought if they were recommending "up to 50% more tube life" with the simple KT150 swap, they'd at least edit the GS150 (and current amps) online manuals to reflect the change. I should probably call them.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Bifwynne View Post
    Mike, take what I say here with a grain of salt. I recently had a chance to talk with an ARC guy about another tech matter and asked him how the Ref 150 SE compares to the GS 150. FWIW, .... and take this with a grain of salt, ... I was told the two units should sound the same. Period! The main difference is aesthetics.

But don't take my word for it. Do an "A/B" comparison of the amps .... but both have to be broken in. Or call ARC yourself and ask your contacts about the two units.

So ... if you buy-in to what I am saying, the question could be reframed as how does the Ref 150 SE or GS 150 sound? And if you asked me that question, I would tell you that the Ref 150 SE, and presumably the GS 150, is a terrific sounding amp. Very liquid and open sound. Terrific bass control. Great soundstage. All the usual audiophile superlatives.

BIF

I understand that the circuitry is the same ... perhaps identical. The difference is in the skin.

Just sayin'

BIF
    I'm sure the ARC REF 150SE would be incredibly close to the GS150. But I just found the GS150 so liquid, so musical, so engaging. If I had speakers that needed some juice, the GS150 would be tough to beat.

In my opinion, there are two amps that I've heard recently at shows that really caught my attention: ARC GS150 and Parasound JC1's. Don't laugh at the last one. Those Parasounds made the KEF Blade 2's sound great, took the Joseph Audio's to a whole new level and so much more.

The GS150 seems to me to be one of those amps that you stumble upon every 10 years. It's so good, and not everyone can figure out why - even the people who made it. There was a story floating around out there that the GS150 was great right from the first take in its design stage.

I would get the GS150 if it were my purchase. Appears ARC went the extra mile on fit and finish so would pay the few extra grand for this versus ref series. Even if same topology reliability, casing, actual construction and QA on inside / outside I bet is a little better (not that ref series is lacking but a new flagship line is going to be obsessed is my guess).

I have made the compromise of the most tube sounding solid state I have heard (marantz ma9s2 monos) and I don't have to worry about tube bias or tube life.

Quote Originally Posted by Dpod4 View Post
    I would get the GS150 if it were my purchase. Appears ARC went the extra mile on fit and finish so would pay the few extra grand for this versus ref series. Even if same topology reliability, casing, actual construction and QA on inside / outside I bet is a little better (not that ref series is lacking but a new flagship line is going to be obsessed is my guess).

I have made the compromise of the most tube sounding solid state I have heard (marantz ma9s2 monos) and I don't have to worry about tube bias or tube life.
    That's what all the SS guys say.

They are very quiet. I run them at the top speed ( there are 2 speed selections), and the unit remains essentially a non factor as to noise contribution, and the amp sits apprx 10 feet from my seated position . By the way the amp sounds better (to me) when used with the cage on, with the fans turned on (obviously if you are not using the tube cage, there are no fans to turn on (as they are part of the cage assembly ).
    In my talks with one of the ARC people (someone who listens to all of their equipment in his own home system as part of the design process), states the GS 150 is the best sounding ARC amp they have ever made.
    CHEERS...
    INDUSTRY AFFILIATION: OWNER/PRESIDENT OF
    QUINTESSENCE ACOUSTICS
    www.quintessenceacoustics.com

I'm sure the ARC REF 150SE would be incredibly close to the GS150. But I just found the GS150 so liquid, so musical, so engaging. If I had speakers that needed some juice, the GS150 would be tough to beat.

In my opinion, there are two amps that I've heard recently at shows that really caught my attention: ARC GS150 and Parasound JC1's. Don't laugh at the last one. Those Parasounds made the KEF Blade 2's sound great, took the Joseph Audio's to a whole new level and so much more.

The GS150 seems to me to be one of those amps that you stumble upon every 10 years. It's so good, and not everyone can figure out why - even the people who made it. There was a story floating around out there that the GS150 was great right from the first take in its design stage.
    Mike,

I'm sure your opinion about the GS 150 is spot on. That said, if what I posted about the REF 150 SE and the GS 150 is correct, for those less concerned about the aesthetics, one could save mucho bucks and get the same performance with the REF 150 SE.

I am only passing along what I was told. Admittedly, it's hearsay. So if one is looking for an amp that can perform like the GS 150, but save a ton of cash along the way, I'd be doing some serious investigatory work to validate what I was told as posted above.

The cash saved could be pocketed or put into other system components.

BIF
    System description: VPI Classic "2.7" (basic Classic turntable plinth, with Classic 3 tone arm base and SS wand; upgraded stock Classic 600 rpm motor for 300 rpm motor); Lyra Kleos cartridge; VPI periphery ring and SS clamp; 35 pound maple TT slab base; ARC phono 3SE ; ARC Ref 6SE linestage; ARC Ref CD-9SE CD player; ARC Ref 150 SE power amp; Paradigm Signature 8 (v3)speakers w/ BE dome tweeters; Kimber Hero I/Cs; Kimber speaker cables.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MRJAZZ View Post
    They are very quiet. I run them at the top speed ( there are 2 speed selections), and the unit remains essentially a non factor as to noise contribution, and the amp sits apprx 10 feet from my seated position . By the way the amp sounds better (to me) when used with the cage on, with the fans turned on (obviously if you are not using the tube cage, there are no fans to turn on (as they are part of the cage assembly ).
    In my talks with one of the ARC people (someone who listens to all of their equipment in his own home system as part of the design process), states the GS 150 is the best sounding ARC amp they have ever made.
    CHEERS...
    Uh oh, I'm doomed

Thanks for that!

NAD C 658 streamer.

That's what all the SS guys say.
    I have owned two VAC amps (300 and 450) and air tight (atm 2) and tube heat and maintenance (what I call tube worry) isn't worth it when great SS approaches tube amps and can equal / surpass if a great tube preamp is in the mix. Plus dynamics and control on inefficient speakers requires lots of wattage and current.

I have owned two VAC amps (300 and 450) and air tight (atm 2) and tube heat and maintenance (what I call tube worry) isn't worth it when great SS approaches tube amps and can equal / surpass if a great tube preamp is in the mix. Plus dynamics and control on inefficient speakers requires lots of wattage and current.
    Would be very interested to know which SS amp you are using now? Many thanks

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ashandger View Post
    Would be very interested to know which SS amp you are using now? Many thanks
    Marantz ma9s2 monos per above post.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Marantz ma9s2 monos per above post.
    But I believe they have been modded extensively by Jena Labs, so Darrin would need to describe mods and cost of doing so to fully describe the MA9S2s.
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

I always say... a real audiophile wil end up with the arc ref stuff....

im on the way but still have a long way to go. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by mazzialk View Post
    I always say... a real audiophile wil end up with the arc ref stuff....

im on the way but still have a long way to go. Lol

Is that an audiophile with good hearing or bad?

I do remember having the McIntosh 2301's & the Bryston 28's in my system with the Stradivari speakers & was quite surprised at how very similar they were in many many attributes, without that experience I would think that a comment like Darrin's comes with a certain slant, but, when the tubes bring that special magic sound of theirs', well, ......

Oeffff. Thats a beautifull setup.. Never heard the stradivari but I had the guarneri palladio number 100/100 and thats sounded pretty ok when I matched them with nagra pre/cd and the kharma mp150 monos.
    I sold the guarneri number 100/100 and still hate myself ...lol

While the Ref 6 and the GS150 may be great sounding gear, I have a hard time believing that they will sound "better" than the CJ GAT and ART combo sitting in Joe's room now. Different maybe, but I doubt "better." If I wanted to try "different" tube gear other than the CJ's it wouldn't be with another of the "American Classic" companies like ARC and McIntosh.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Super Moderator

Jack,

Thank you. I appreciate what you are saying. I was talking this over with my friend Bruce and we discussed that very thing. I'm in a great place now and having trouble justifying new/more gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    While the Ref 6 and the GS150 may be great sounding gear, I have a hard time believing that they will sound "better" than the CJ GAT and ART combo sitting in Joe's room now. Different maybe, but I doubt "better." If I wanted to try "different" tube gear other than the CJ's it wouldn't be with another of the "American Classic" companies like ARC and McIntosh.
    Last edited by joeinid; December 12, 2015 at 11:39 PM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe,

I listened to the GS150 earlier this year with an ARC front end consisting of the Ref CD-9 and the Ref 10 driving a pair of Wilson XLFs with Shunyata cables. One word, WOW!

Granted, the XLFs are very efficient but they rocked the house! If I was looking for a tube amp at this price point, the GS150 would be on my list. Now, I have not listened nor done a comparison with the Ref150SE.

I have to believe that a Ref 6 - GS150 combo will likely be stellar. We need to wait until the 6 is released and its performance is evaluated.

Thx!

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Joe

If I wanted to try a "different" tube amp in the range you are talking, I might be looking at the Air Tight 1 or 2. According to one of Art's reviews, Shindo like sound with a tighter grip.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
    But I believe they have been modded extensively by Jena Labs, so Darrin would need to describe mods and cost of doing so to fully describe the MA9S2s.
    You bet. For the amps she basically removed any weak parts most of which were at last stages near connectors. Jennifer Crock said 90 percent of the amp was perfect (if you know her that is a big statement - she is a perfectionist). So wiring and low cost parts removed and replaced. What it did was remove any veil on top end including last bit of electronic haze and its biggest impact was actually beating what any tube amp did prior from filling the whole room spaciously with music. The world that came to mind was "volume" as in filling the entire space.

Mods are in the $2-3k range. But even in stock form the marantz amps beat my constellation and vac 450s

Super Moderator

Great choices.

I've been lusting and looking at them and think Air Tight would be superb.

I have to say that unless I get aggressive on trying to sell (meaning give away pricing) on my CJ amps, I'll have them for life. It would be silly for me to do that and give them up. I think I have enough big tubes.

Joe

If I wanted to try a "different" tube amp in the range you are talking, I might be looking at the Air Tight 1 or 2. According to one of Art's reviews, Shindo like sound with a tighter grip.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

Thanks Mike,

I fondly remember the GS150/GSPre combo on the Sasha2. It was wonderful. I've never been one to gravitate towards the ARC sound. I am afraid to hear it on my Strads.

I hope to hear the Ref 6 very soon. Could be a game change for ARC.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
    Joe,

I listened to the GS150 earlier this year with an ARC front end consisting of the Ref CD-9 and the Ref 10 driving a pair of Wilson XLFs with Shunyata cables. One word, WOW!

Granted, the XLFs are very efficient but they rocked the house! If I was looking for a tube amp at this price point, the GS150 would be on my list. Now, I have not listened nor done a comparison with the Ref150SE.

I have to believe that a Ref 6 - GS150 combo will likely be stellar. We need to wait until the 6 is released and its performance is evaluated.

Thx!

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe. I even love the looks of it. I wish they make a mono version too.
    Paul

Joe

Air tight is a beautifull amp. I had it for a while and love it.
    uploadfromtaptalk1450015970249.png

The Atm 2 u can use in different ways. Thats what I love about it. It can be used as an integrated tube.but also as an power amp.
    I used it in both ways and it was beautifull.

Now im using an ls17se with kharma mp150 monos. I really want to have the ref 5 se...

You bet. For the amps she basically removed any weak parts most of which were at last stages near connectors. Jennifer Crock said 90 percent of the amp was perfect (if you know her that is a big statement - she is a perfectionist). So wiring and low cost parts removed and replaced. What it did was remove any veil on top end including last bit of electronic haze and its biggest impact was actually beating what any tube amp did prior from filling the whole room spaciously with music. The world that came to mind was "volume" as in filling the entire space.

Mods are in the $2-3k range. But even in stock form the marantz amps beat my constellation and vac 450s
    many thanks for feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Joe. I even love the looks of it. I wish they make a mono version too.
    Paul,

I love your X-mass pin up gal pic.

I sure hope that it is not you ... I'd be embarrassed.

Happy Holidays

BIF

Quote Originally Posted by Bifwynne View Post
    Paul,

I love your X-mass pin up gal pic.

I sure hope that it is not you ... I'd be embarrassed.

Happy Holidays

BIF
    Shhhhh....I'm trying to ditch her after the Christmas ARC GS150 ? Any owners here care to share their opinion?
    Paul

Audioshark

OMG, what an amp. What an amp!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Audioshark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tiKBbtYnV8

That's my current fave in the whole ARC lineup. And I thought the REF75SE was good... Mindblowing!

Thank you Mike for the upload on youtube , can only say i really like the look of that ARC

Quote Originally Posted by asiufy View Post
    That's my current fave in the whole ARC lineup. And I thought the REF75SE was good... Mindblowing!
    I'd be curious to hear this comparison - on more efficient speakers like mine however.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Meters = Winner ....!

Wow, amplifier heaven there!

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Hey Mike , looks like you are the envy of Livio ...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    I'd be curious to hear this comparison - on more efficient speakers like mine however.
    Well, just say the word...

cheers,
    alex

I thought I heard they were discontinuing this amp.
    Rance

Synology DS411+II | GigaFOILv4 + Keces P3 Power Supply | Shunyata Alpha Ethernet | Lumin S1 | VAC Master Line Stage | VAC Signature 200 iQ amps | Kharma Elegance dB11-S | SVS PC-4000 subs x 2 | Shunyata 6000/T v2 | Kharma Elegance signal cables| Luminous Audio Technology power cables | Isoacoustics OREA vibration isolators | Solid Tech racks | Vicoustic room treatments | Acoustic Sciences Corporation IsoWall + IsoCeiling construction

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by rrwmd View Post
    I thought I heard they were discontinuing this amp.
    They are. I bought a bunch!

OMG, what an amp. What an amp!!!!!

The GS series is my favorite ARC design, looks great!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team