Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

What's Your Record Cleaning Ritual?

I've adopted a new system when playing and cleaning my vinyl records. When I'm done listening to a record, I immediately take it to my laundry room and put it in my Klaudio for cleaning. After it's done I put it back in it's sleeve and put it away until the next time I play it.

I've also decided, with this process, to not use a brush on my records anymore. My reason, in my mind at least, is to avoid brushing dirt back down into the grooves. I know people will not agree with me, but it seems to be working very well. I've noticed, as I do this process on a record, it seems to have even less surface noise with each cleaning.

What works for you?
    Last edited by MDP; December 2, 2015 at 01:44 PM.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Re: What's Your Record Cleaning Ritual?

with used vinyl purchases I pre-scrub with a solution of diluted dishwashing soap (fragrance and dye free) and distilled water. its kept warm in a baby bottle warmer and applied with squeeze bottles and the broad MoFi velvet brush. they then go into the vinyl stack/trusonic ultra sonic machine in pure distilled H20 and I run it at an elevated temp of 45ºC for 15-30 mins @ 1/2 RPM. They're finished on a Loricraft PRC4 'point nozzle' RCM, again using plain distilled H20. Once they're cleaned this way I don't need to clean them again.

I quit using bio-enzymatic pre-cleaners, boutique cleaning additives/concentrate and anything alcohol based.

I think you are both onto the same way of thinking I am at as far as cleaning my vinyl goes. I am very similar to what you do Mark & am trying to stay away from brushing period unless it's for static.

Dealer / Manufacture Disclosure:

Jeff Whitlock
    A/V Solutions / Unity Audio Design
    www.avsolutionsca.com

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Quote Originally Posted by A/V Solutions View Post
    works everytime,
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Ha! Yeah, thats why cd's were made, to put over the labels when the vinyl was in the "washer"!!

Taking a break

I own The Klaudio, AudioDesk, VPI HW27 and the ClearAudio Double Matrix Sonic. The only unit I use is the ClearAudio. I have retired the Ultrasonics as well as the VPI.

Quote Originally Posted by Golucid View Post
    I own The Klaudio, AudioDesk, VPI HW27 and the ClearAudio Double Matrix Sonic. The only unit I use is the ClearAudio. I have retired the Ultrasonics as well as the VPI.
    David, how about giving us some more pics and info on the ClearAudio?
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Audiodesk using Mark's approach. Wash before when new, wash after play. No brush. On the most part, humidity and particulate levels are managed well, but there's no such thing as a laboratory clean room in the comfort of your home.

Also save on inner sleeves this way.

Store with Poly sleeve inside a sealable Japanese cellophane. Sticker with grading and last play/wash date.

Speakeasy

Steve, I also use stickers!
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Any new or used record that comes into the house goes through this:

Audio Desk with extended wash cycle to 3X and 1/3rd of a bottle of the supplied fluid to one gallon of distilled water. I've tried lab grade water instead of the distilled water but found the distilled water just as effective for this step and less cost. The Audio Desk machine is primaraly a pre-soak step. Having the fluid in contact with the record for 3-4 minutes helps loosen up the contaminates deep down into the groove. I use each batch of distilled water and Audio Desk fluid for about 30 records and spread it out over a 24 hour period then dump the fluid.

For this step I use my VPI 16.5 and my own cleaning fluid. I apply approx. a 1/2 inch bead of cleaning fluid starting in the middle of the record and continue around the entire record until there is a full bead of fluid on the record. Next I engage the platter and use an applicator brush (I like the Last brushes) to spread the fluid over the entire record, once the fluid is covering the entire record I place the brush at the 9:00 oclock position on the record and move back and fouth to aggitate, about 15 seconds then allow the fluid to soak for about 30 seconds then repeat with aggitation then soak.....about 3 minutes of aggitation/soak step. Then vacuum off fluid and repeat for side two.

I use my HannL cleaning machine for this step which is my rinse step. I could use my VPI machine and a different vacuum pick up tube so there are no cross contaminates happening but choose to keep the rinse step to a dedicated machine plus I already owned both machines. One other reason I like the HannL for the rinse step is it absolutly leaves no static on the record, no matter how many revolutions you let it spin removing the rinse fluid. For this step I use my rinse fluid which is Lab Grade water, its applied the same way as above, apply approx. a 1/2 inch bead of fluid around the entire record and engage the platter, spread the fluid using a dedicated applicator brush, aggitate for about 15 seconds then let stand for 15 seconds, do this for a minute or so then repeat for side two.

If you don't count the Ultra-Sonic time as its next to no work just time the wash and rinse procedure is about 4 minutes or so per side.

All cleaned records are placed in a new inner poly sleeve and outer sleeve.

Jeff Whitlock
    www.avsolutionsca.com

Wow, do you really hear a difference following up the Audiodeske with the VPI? The whole point of the Audiodeske is so you have one-step cleaning...
    Speakers: Magico M-Project w/MPods
    Amps: CAT Legend -> CAT JL7s
    Analog: Kronos Pro Limited Edition / Black Beauty tonearm / Zyx Universe Premium, Ortofon A95
    Digital: Roon->Vivaldi DAC/Upsampler
    Cables/Power: Kubala Sosna Elation ICs & SCs / Shunyata Denali 6000T & PC's / Furutech outlets

Wow +1.

I will stick with my EMM and Lampi.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Wow +1.

Ha ha!
    Speakers: Magico M-Project w/MPods
    Amps: CAT Legend -> CAT JL7s
    Analog: Kronos Pro Limited Edition / Black Beauty tonearm / Zyx Universe Premium, Ortofon A95
    Digital: Roon->Vivaldi DAC/Upsampler
    Cables/Power: Kubala Sosna Elation ICs & SCs / Shunyata Denali 6000T & PC's / Furutech outlets

Yes.....many are content with a one step cleaning process and many are not.

Jeff Whitlock
    www.avsolutionsca.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Wow +1.

....hey Paul, bout time we got a pic of your system isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by bzr View Post
    I will sometime soon, once I have some new gear come in, Stay tuned
    Paul

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by bzr View Post
    Our distinguished forum member Paul gets a mention in the Harbeth newsletter ….
    http://www.audioshark.org/showthread.php?t=8787

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Yes.....many are content with a one step cleaning process and many are not.
    I think I need a multi-step process myself. Or get one of those ClearAudio RCMs!

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    I've adopted a new system when playing and cleaning my vinyl records. When I'm done listening to a record, I immediately take it to my laundry room and put it in my Klaudio for cleaning. After it's done I put it back in it's sleeve and put it away until the next time I play it.

What works for you?
    I do the exact same process with the Audio Desk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Bill

Shindo Giscours
    Shindo Western Electric 300b
    Shinoo Petite Latour (FC)
    AMG Viella V12 Etna (Erodion) and Teatro (Bob's Sky @ 1:20)
    Lumin S1

Devialet 200
    Aries
    Harbeth C7

Lest we forget to clean the turntable platter.

Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    Lest we forget to clean the turntable platter.
    Yes a can of compressed air is never too far away!

Speakeasy

Taking a break

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    David, how about giving us some more pics and info on the ClearAudio?
    What specific info would you like for me to write up, Mark? Happy to do so.

I haven't read anything about how it functions and why you consider it the best.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

I am still in the stone age with my lowly VPI 16.5 that I rebuilt adding a cooling fan, polyurethaning the insides and adding an acrylic tray to catch any drippings. I start by plopping on a cork mat from VPI marked dirty; then the dirty record. I take a cotton facial pad left over from the prior first rinse and gently pass it over the spinning disc. This picks up a tremendous amount of dust and dirt that I don't want to scrub into the record. I then apply a bead of Tergitol 15-s-7 (recommended by the US LOC) to the record and to the Record Doctor brush and gently work it into the moving record. After a few revolutions I rest the brush on the record surface and it is held in place over the record by a thin metal ruler. This allows me to pick up my drink while the ruler flexes and scrubs the moving record. After about 2 minutes, I vacuum the surface and stop the suction after about one and a half revolutions. The vacuum wand lifts just about at as the record completes its second rotation.
    I then wet a cotton facial makeup cleansing pad (cut in half) with reagent grade water from Amazon and go over the spinning record a few revolutions. I make sure there is plenty of liquid to dilute the Tergitol. I then vacuum it off the same way as before with a separate wand. This pad is retained for the first pass on the next record.
    A final rinse is done with a fresh 1/2 cotton pad and vacuumed off with another separate wand. This final rinse pad is kept also for the first rinse. The platter is stopped and the record flipped over onto another cork mat kept for clear sides. Process is repeated and then the record is placed in a wooden dish rack for a few minutes before either played or placed in a DiscKeeper sleeve. Doesn't really take as long to do as it might sound. I can clean about 6 to 8 per hour but I usually limit to 4 for sanity's sake.
    I'm just beginning to experiment with Triton X-100 but I don't really expect much difference. I may just mix the two surfactants together.
    Basement
    Pre-amp: Wright WLA12A
    Power-amp: Transcendent SC-150 monos
    CD: Arcam Alpha 9
    Tuner: Kenwood KT-6500
    Phono Stage: K&K Maxed-Out
    TT: VPI TNT Mk-6/Trans-FI T3 Pro Air bearing tonearm/Ortofon Jubilee
    Speakers: Acoustic Zen's Adagios
    Cables: DIY twisted pair ICs, TG Audio Speaker Cables
    Breezeway
    Pre-amp: Cary SLP-98
    Phono stage: DIY AD797 Hypnotized
    Power-amp: Latino ST-120
    Tuner: Kenwood KT-7300
    CD: Arcam CD82
    TT: VPI TNT MK3.5/SME-V/Benz Glider/SDS
    Speakers: Salk HT 2TL-s
    Cables: DIY Twisted Pair, Star Quad Speaker Cables

I am beginning to feel like a slouch, just using my KL Audio.
    Paul

Main Stereo System:

Harbeth 40.3 HD, Jay's CDT3 MK3, Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC, Aurender N20, Luxman M900 & C900 , (2) JL f113, Shunyata Everest Power Conditioner, Altaira, AZ Cables, Stillpoints & Symposium shelves under everything.

Theater System:
    JVC RS400 projector, 130" Stewart screen, Oppo 105D, Audio Physic Classic speakers, REL 3D subs, MC8207 MX136, Synergistic Research Powercell, AZ interconnects, speaker cables and PC's.

Audioshark

I WILL be going Klaudio + VPI. Klaudio to break up the crap and the VPI to suck it away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

For new records only, I use the KL Audio set at 5 min for wash and 3 min for dry using distilled water. Ideally I'll rerun them after each record play, but I have a few hundred records that have never seen the KL Audio.

For older records, especially ones I have bought used, I have a 3 step process. First, I use the VPI 16.5 with AI One-Step #6 using the VPI brush. This is followed a VPI rinse using AI's ultra pure water using the Disc Doctor brush to remove any remaining residue. I then put the record into the KL Audio for 3 min/3min. Can't say I'm wild about this process for used records as there is some static and I'm lazy and it takes too long....

Just like others, I use the VPI 16.5 for used records (or old records that I've mis-treated back in the day) followed by a 5-minute cycle through the Klaudio. For new records it's just the Klaudio.

I thought that I was going to sell the 16.5 when I got the Klaudio, but I found that the ultrasonic didn't get rid of all the pops and clicks on old vinyl, so a good old fashioned scrubbing really helps. Sorta like hamburger helper for vinyl.
    Main System: Krell MD-2 CD turntable, Aurender N100H, Bryston BDA-3, VPI Prime, Allnic 1201, D'Agostino Momentum Preamp and Stereo Amp, Wilson Sasha 2, JL CR-1, JL F110 (2), Klaudio RCM.
    Headphone System: Woo WA22, Woo WA8, Audeze LCD-3, Sennheiser HD800S, Enigma Dharma D1000, Focal Elear, A&K AK320, JH Audio JH16, Noble K10.
    Bedroom System: Krell S-1000, Krell KST-100, ProAc Signature 50, Oppo BDP-93, Squeezebox Transporter.
    Museum: Son of Ampzilla, Usher BE-718, Infinity Black Widow, Hafler DH-101, Theta DS Pro Basic, Micro Seiki BL51 w/Eminent Technology II tonearm.

I see a few using Vac machines followed with US machines.....I find much better results using the US machine first then followed with the Vac machine. I'm also in favor of using a surfactant (wetting agent) with US cleaning, it helps break surface tension otherwise the water is just skimming over the LP and not doing much.....If you don't use a surfactant with the US machine the record doesn't wet above the water line. I think US is a good pre-soak but not for the final clean, just leaves behind too much crap on the record IMO....My cleaning steps are US cleaning then wash/vac then rinse/vac for best results.

Jeff Whitlock
    www.avsolutionsca.com

I find much better results using the US machine first then followed with the Vac machine. I'm also in favor of using a surfactant (wetting agent) with US cleaning, it helps break surface tension otherwise the water is just skimming over the LP and not doing much......
    I've been known to do things backwards, so I'll give that a try. Regarding using wetting agents, I'm a bit reluctant to do so. I emailed Klaudio about water not coating the surface and they told me that cavitation takes place while the record is submerged and coating the record is not necessary... but I have on occasion thrown in a drop or two of photoflo.
    Main System: Krell MD-2 CD turntable, Aurender N100H, Bryston BDA-3, VPI Prime, Allnic 1201, D'Agostino Momentum Preamp and Stereo Amp, Wilson Sasha 2, JL CR-1, JL F110 (2), Klaudio RCM.
    Headphone System: Woo WA22, Woo WA8, Audeze LCD-3, Sennheiser HD800S, Enigma Dharma D1000, Focal Elear, A&K AK320, JH Audio JH16, Noble K10.
    Bedroom System: Krell S-1000, Krell KST-100, ProAc Signature 50, Oppo BDP-93, Squeezebox Transporter.
    Museum: Son of Ampzilla, Usher BE-718, Infinity Black Widow, Hafler DH-101, Theta DS Pro Basic, Micro Seiki BL51 w/Eminent Technology II tonearm.

Surfactants (wetting agent) results will differ.....small amounts they act as an emulsifier, at moderate amounts it reduces surface tension and large amounts it acts as detergent. Using a drop or two of photoflo most likely isn't doing much in regards to surface tension plus it contains chemicals that remains as a coating on the surface of the record and gunks up the stylus....Try a product called Ilfotol its much better, use about 7-8ml (1.5 teaspoons) to a gallon of distilled water.....

Jeff Whitlock
    www.avsolutionsca.com

a few drops of plain dish washing soap is a surfactant and dissolves completely with a final rinse, no gunked up styli here or trips to the camera shop.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team