Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Tube Rolling Update in latest balanced Golden Gate...

Lampizator tube rolling update...

Over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend I removed the quad of EML Anniversary Globe tubes from my balanced GG and put in a quad of EML 300B Mesh. I recall trying 2 of these a long time ago in the Big 7 I had then... Too bright!! This I remember well. Now, with a quad installed I loved the detail (reminded me a lot of the Psvane 101D) but overall they are still too bright. Sound great but bright...

Then I got to thinking... Why not try the quad of Psvane WE 101D? So I put them in the GG...

Before doing so I'd popped the EML Anniversary Globe 45's back into the GG... Even with a quick listen I could hear the edginess was gone and the weight was back... Overall a better sound... These are still my favorites and remain so...

Now...regarding the 101D's...

I listened to these for 4 hours or so over 2 days... So glad I took the time to put them back in and give them a go... Here's the bottom line... they are too much of a good thing...well...in general...

I will be using them more often now when I want to listen to piano, sax, etc. My ears would probably bleed if listening to violin, vocals... hyper detailed as we all know well... but WOW! Incredible for piano...

Some of my notes during the listening sessions:

Heard the saxophone sound out in a few tracks...OMG! Amazing... So lifelike it is creepy. Piano is the same... Some of the best sounding... BUT... Listening for a while I find myself tensing up...it's not a relaxed sound...again...amazing tubes and I'm going to leave them in for bit... Will actually start to listen to them more now...

So... while I thoroughly enjoyed the Psvane 101D's with certain tracks...I've drawn the conclusion that they simply play too "hot" to really relax and enjoy the music...the EML Globe Anniversary 45's strike the right chord... The 101D's did catch my attention and will get more use now - with the piano and sax tracks...but to my ears they cannot be left in for a "set it and forget it" application...

Reflecting on the experience the EML 300B Mesh and the Psvane Replica WE 101D's sounded and behaved essentially the same...

Hope this helps you all...

Andy

Re: Tube Rolling Update in latest balanced Golden Gate...

One more thing to mention...

Rectifier of choice for me is the Western Electric 274B. Massive soundstage and sounds great. BUT... I also played briefly with a 378 tube - slightly weightier and rich but bordered on collapsing a few times during challenging intensive passages... Still love the Western Electric 274B... nothing I've heard yet quite tops it. I've heard Shawn Fox found a rectifier tube he loves and feels it beats out the WE 274B... Only thing close in my opinion is the WE 422A but its soundstage is a bit more narrow/restricted in my opinion...

Which is the tube Shawn found?

STC (footscray factory) 5R4GY
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 XTRM, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Tosca arm; SME 3012R arm, Ortofon Diamond Anna; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Taiko Audio Extreme> Lampizator Horizon, Oppo UDP-203;

I have tried both the WE 422 and the STC (footscray) 5R4GY. I have a Takatsuki 274B on its way from Japan.
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 XTRM, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Tosca arm; SME 3012R arm, Ortofon Diamond Anna; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Taiko Audio Extreme> Lampizator Horizon, Oppo UDP-203;

Quote Originally Posted by dminches View Post
    I have tried both the WE 422 and the STC (footscray) 5R4GY. I have a Takatsuki 274B on its way from Japan.
    Which did you prefer

First, I should have said that I have an unbalanced Big 7. Second, I have been using 2 WE 275As. So far I prefer the WE422. The 5R4GY is close. A metal base GZ34 is a distant 3rd.

Thanks for chiming in...yes you are correct. Shawn prefers the Footscray... I have 2 422A's - these are great tubes...the WE 274B does however offer a wider soundstage. Please do let me know how you rate the Takasuki 274B... Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At some point I'd like to get a WE 274B. Looks like they are close to $1k each.

Yes... I paid $875 or so for my last one. Not worth spending $1300-$1700 on an etched base earlier version. Have one of those too. They sound pretty much the same...

Ebay, I assume?

Yes. This said you can find these through tube dealers as well...

Quote Originally Posted by La Dolce Vita View Post
    One more thing to mention...

Rectifier of choice for me is the Western Electric 274B. Massive soundstage and sounds great. BUT... I also played briefly with a 378 tube - slightly weightier and rich but bordered on collapsing a few times during challenging intensive passages... Still love the Western Electric 274B... nothing I've heard yet quite tops it. I've heard Shawn Fox found a rectifier tube he loves and feels it beats out the WE 274B... Only thing close in my opinion is the WE 422A but its soundstage is a bit more narrow/restricted in my opinion...
    That's commonly known as rectifier sag.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Thank you...wasn't familiar with that term but sure...ok!

What is the difference between the WE 274A and 274B?

So far as I know...same tube with the exception of the socket pins... 274A I believe has 4...

Thanks. Hopefully I will find one for less than $1000.

Thanks. Hopefully I will find one for less than $1000.
    I prefer the 275A/5R4GY combo. For my WE 300Bs, I prefer the 422A/274B I have. The 5R4GY just cleaned up a bit of compression I perceived in the music. Then, swapping to the 300Bs, it was not a good thing. Too analytic. I much preferred the 274B. The 422A was hit and miss in my Big 7. I think the 3 amp draw was causing some issues for the power supply, but I am not sure why. Regardless, I have a huge stable of rectifiers and get to play with them to find the balance. The 3 Footscray 5R4GYs I have are identical and all were made in the same month. They are a few months different than Dave's, but not much different. I currently have 3 274Bs, 3 422As, 3 Footscray 5R4GYs. They should outlive my ears.

On a side note, the 274A is indeed the same as the 274B except for pin out. It would take about 20 minutes to make an adapter (I just made 4 adapters to use on a 6L6 amp). Pretty easy. Just don't mess up the pin out. Heh. 274A is a bit older (they stopped making it around 1960), so you are more likely to see the engraved base versions of those.

Shawn

Are there a lot of differences between the different 422as and the 274bs?

I got one of the 422As today, so I don't know, but I heard no real difference between the black plate and the gray plates. There is no discernable difference among the 274Bs. They are, however, only about a year apart if I recall right. The NOS pair of 274Bs have only been used about an hour each. I don't want to use them... Between the two, I like the 274B better. Is there a huge difference, no. Is there a difference? Yes. Wider soundstage in the 274b, more articulated mids, maybe a touch less bass than the 422A. I note Dave can explain what he likes better/worse between the 422A and the 5R4GY.

I agree 100% with Shawn regarding the WE 274B compared to 422As...

Elrog ER300b's

Tuesday I received a new pair of Elrog ER300b's and inserted them into the Golden Gate. my GG is single ended.

I own the Psvane 101d WE replicas, the Psvane 300b WE replicas, the KR242's, and the National Union 45's. the KR242's won't work as they overdrive the circuit. all the rest are pretty good if different. I suppose overall I prefer the National Union 45's.

but these Elrogs are the 'bomb'.

Very very sexy sounding. they have that mid-range fire and sparkle, along with a seemingly lower noise floor and micro-dynamic energy which makes the music more real and engaging. Very nice bass decay and soundstage space and overall presence. It has a lovely texture and nuance.

This is the magic I have been waiting to hear. I love it. and I love them on all types of music. everything is just more real sounding. the separation and organic 3d of the soundstage just pulls me in. the tone is to die for, but there is little rounding or blunting that seems to typically come with that. musical energy just projects. exceptional delicacy and shading.

It’s a bit colored in some ways and not as clean and perfectly behaved as the Trinity….but who cares!!!

Seems to work well with my 1944 RCA 5R4GY ‘WE 274b type’ rectifier. I’ve not yet tried it with my EML 274b yet.

I've been warned that these Elrogs fail, or more properly, previous versions had a high failure rate. I must point out that the dealer has stood behind those failed tubes. so I want to make sure I post that for people to do their own investigations and decide what's best for them. I read thru the thread on Audiogon about this and am satisfied. I spoke to George Lenz of TubesUSA and am comfortable with going with these.

after 2 days of listening I just love how these tubes make the music so much more involving.

Elrog's are great in the GG. Only thing better I am told is the Western Electric 300B...

Audioshark

Elrog's are great in the GG. Only thing better I am told is the Western Electric 300B...

Yes indeed!

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

I just received my Takatsuki 274B. Beautiful tube. Not sure how long it will take to break in but I will give it a work out this weekend.

Oh wow! Please do let me know what you think of it... I was contemplating ordering one as well

NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    ok, you pushed me over. I ordered the Tak 274b recti today. so i'll have me some Elrog-Tak GG soon.

Norman, I have a drawer full of tubes thanks to you! I describe as you my 'drug dealer' to my wife, along with the guy who sells me grey market master tapes. you've arrived!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
    along with the guy who sells me grey market master tapes.
    What type of tapes, pray tell? I assume we are talking 15 ips R2R?

What type of tapes, pray tell? I assume we are talking 15 ips R2R?
    yes; 15ips, 1/4" master dubs. think of all time great pop/rock titles of your dreams. those kind of tapes. the kind you just have to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
    ok, you pushed me over. I ordered the Tak 274b recti today. so i'll have me some Elrog-Tak GG soon.

Norman, I have a drawer full of tubes thanks to you! I describe as you my 'drug dealer' to my wife, along with the guy who sells me grey market master tapes. you've arrived!!!
    You got off easy with just a drawer. AL has 5 boxes full, I have 2 and God knows how many Mike has…as for Andy and Shawn they are terminal. LoL
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

I have a lot of tubes, yet. Just bought a guys WE collection. That said, I have recently got rid of some of my lesser tubes. That said, yes, I still have tons of tubes. Thankfully not all for the lampi. OK, I have too many rectifiers. I have been interested in the TAK 274B, but cannot spend the cash when the WE is almost the same price.

Shawn

LoL

Shawn, I get it....
    NORMAN

I've been on the fence about the Takasuki 274B. Dying to hear it in my Golden Gate but not wanting to spend the $ when I already have 2 WE 422A and WE 274B...

I am going to cross my fingers, hope they don't crap out on me and give the Elrog 300B's another go in the Lampi paired with my WE 274B. I think this will be spectacular but won't know until I hear it. Should be...

Last weekend I put in a quad of Psvane Replica 101D and paired them with a Sophia Electric 274B. Very nice combo. The Sophia Electric is a warm 274B and it played well with the fast/detailed 101D's... Still while I'd give it a Tube Rolling Update in latest balanced Golden Gate... the WE 274B is more revealing and dynamic - it just needs to be paired with the right signal tubes.

Confirmed that the new EML 45 Mesh Globes are Balanced compatible. Suggested we get a current list of compatible tube types.

Also, had discussion with George (NA Distributor of Elrogs) about the Elrog 300b in Big 7/GG DAC. He is still not recommending it given the past problems. They believe the current on startup of DAC is the problem as it is destroying the filament over time. One change I noted is that he believes it should not be more than 1.2A on startup (change from previous recommendation of below 2A). They are supposedly working on more resilient version but no ETA.

I'm using the EML Anniversary Globes in my balanced GG... With the WE 274B it's the best combo I've heard to date... Won't use the Elrogs in the Lampizator for the reasons you mentioned. Not worth the risk... George is a great guy. Thanks

I'm using the EML Anniversary Globes in my balanced GG... With the WE 274B it's the best combo I've heard to date... Won't use the Elrogs in the Lampizator for the reasons you mentioned. Not worth the risk... George is a great guy. Thanks

Are you getting the new Lamp EML 45 Mesh Globes as well? Would love to hear a comparison if you are.

Also, have you compared the WE274 with the Takatsuki 274? Still looking for more comparisons between and specifically with the Lampi DACs. Some have argued that the Tak > WE.

Ask Mike, he had the orig WE 274b.

Marslo at WBF will soon report back on the new Mesh Globes.
    NORMAN

Yes I am getting the new mesh 45 globes as well. Time will tell if they perform at or exceed the level of the 45 anniversary globes. The WE 274B is my destination rectifier tube for the Lampi. I've yet to hear the Takasuki and therefore am not in a position to comment there. Best wishes...

Hi Andy,

What's up?

In Germany at the moment.
    NORMAN

Enjoy Norman...

Will do. Hope all is well with the family...
    NORMAN

Thank you. Got some good news this week...appreciate you asking...

Hi, have you compared the EML 45 globes to RCA UX-245 globes? Thanks.

Yes...the 245's are softer, sweeter, less detailed...EML anniversary globes are in another league

BTW, Elrog have thoriated tungsten filaments. Tubes with such filaments usually squeeze every bit of details in music reproduction. However, it is always recommended that such filaments could use a slow warm-up. It is even better if the plate voltage can also slowly build up after filament fully warms up. These help most filament but is particularly beneficial to thoriated tungsten filaments.

Also, it seems that most tubes operate at around 180V plate volt and this could be a bit low on Elrog.

As much as I like Elrog on Lampizator, I am reluctant to recommend them on Lampi since my two pairs both failed.

As for takatsuki 274B. They are really in the top league and it is clearly above Cossor 378, GEC U52 (I tried the best version) and WE422A. No chance to compare to WE274B though.

Thanks. Glad to know. I am building a 45 single ended tube amp and am open to tube rolling. :p

Yes...the 245's are softer, sweeter, less detailed...EML anniversary globes are in another league

Quote Originally Posted by wyan View Post
    Thanks. Glad to know. I am building a 45 single ended tube amp and am open to tube rolling. :p
    Problem is Eml globes only available in solid or mesh. The Eml 45 solid globes only released in 10th anniversary and unobtainium now. Eml 45 globe mesh only made for lampizator and likely only for big 7/GG customers. Hopefully you are a owner or soon to be owner

Yes...exactly right...thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Crashem View Post
    Problem is Eml globes only available in solid or mesh. The Eml 45 solid globes only released in 10th anniversary and unobtainium now. Eml 45 globe mesh only made for lampizator and likely only for big 7/GG customers. Hopefully you are a owner or soon to be owner
    I am a happy Big 7 owner.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team