Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: So how old is your "oldest" component?

Quote Originally Posted by MrAcoustat View Post
    Thank's you are welcomed anytime.
    Thanks Andre….if I'm ever able to make it up your way, I'll try to look you up!

Quote Originally Posted by No Regrets View Post
    Thanks Andre….if I'm ever able to make it up your way, I'll try to look you up!
    No Regrets // Where do you live ?????
    André - - - Keep it simple system
    Amp = Chord CPM-2600
    Source = Chord One
    Speakers = Acoustat 1+1s highly modified
    Life without Acoustat is possible BUT senseless.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAcoustat View Post
    No Regrets // Where do you live ?????
    I'm in Wisconsin…if ever down this way, you are always most welcome to come by for a visit. My wife is a great cook, and there will be sure to be great tunes to be heard!

DSCI0392.JPGDSCI0394.JPGUniversity S6 Master Series From Atomic Warehouse.jpg

The 2nd oldest (shown in the first 3 pics) are a used pair of late 50s/early 60's 12" Coaxial Pioneer drivers (that look very much like some Bauer Klangfilm WIGO-like drivers I've seen on ebay and in internet searches), soon to be experimented with in Open Baffle 'enclosures' (like a 'Basic Betsy' - I'll expand/interpolate the measurements for using a 12" driver instead of an 8")... Have tried on various audio sites to get someone/anyone who knows something/anything about these, but so far no info other than what was provided by the guy who I got them from ( and they are not PAX 30-A - at least not from pics I've found online...) ANYBODY THAT CAN PROVIDE SOME INFO? IT WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

BUT MY OLDEST COMPONENT is my pair of University Master Series S6 (3-way) lowboy-style speakers; bought used from a great vintage store - The Atomic Warehouse in Harrisburg Pa. - about 4 years ago. (YES - I drove there with a van and picked them up). I believe these were origionally available as a kit; (the story I was told is): they were made by a man in the Harrisburg area who owned an Audio Store - he used these in his home. One was made in the Mid-50s (for mono use), the 2nd sometime later when stereo entered the scene (although they are obviously a matched pair; - speakers are not mirror imaged). Wood Cabinets (I think they are Mahogany)...I origionally powered them with a tube preamp and low power (like 20 watts) Heathkit amp, then a Stromberg Carlson ASP 422 tube amp direct, then with a Macintosh MA 2105 direct, now with either an Onkyo A7 Integrated or a Wolze Line Level Tube Preamp and a Nikko DC Alpha 230... Beautiful Cabinets that rely Beautiful Sound.

ENJOY YOUR MUSIC.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oldest audio component: my Cary preamp, which is 8 years old and still going strong.

Oldest video component: my Integra pre/pro, which is 9 years old and still flawless.
    Anthony
    Analog: VPI Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

Digital: Antipodes CX (Oladra Upgrade)> Cary DMS-600 DAC/Streamer---->
    ...........Cary 306 SACD Professional Disc Player---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

I was very interested in vintage gear ,gathered, bought , collected , restore and sold almost all my vintage ones.
    I had a huge Western Electric collection , almost all Mc´s , Jbls and tube Marantz , several Tannoy and my prefered well beloved Nakamichi TX-1000 with SME limited gold edition tonearm . Will be adding some pics.

[IMG=http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/150x100q90/248/sdc10091.jpg][/IMG]

JBL 4350´s

JBL Olympus S8R components.
    Chilean distributor for : Zu Audio , Pass Labs , Verastarr , ATC loudspeakers , Chord Electronics, Reimyo ( Combak) , Furutech , Devialet and Gryphon Audio .

My Micro Seiki BL-91 TT was manufactured in 1980, still going strong
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

If speakers count...

In my bedroom system, a pair of Polk Monitor 5 "bookshelf" (yeah suuuuure they are big) speakers, quality control dates on the midwoofers 9/7/79...Is that old enough ?
    Small bedroom 2 channel
    Pioneer Elite DV-45A
    Cambridge Audio Topaz SR20 Reciever
    Wharfedale Diamond 225 Speakers

Still in use, my Goldmund Reference turntable (bought used) is almost 30 years old, still in my main system.
    My Yamaha NS1000M speakers (bought new) are probably a bit older, I can't remember exactly when I bought them, they are in my bedroom now.
    My Proac EBS speakers (ebay) are in my study and probably about 32 now.

Probably my REL Precedent tube tuner. Or maybe my 1954 Western Electric 300b tubes. Though my Garrard 301tt is the same period.

Right now it's my Juicy Music Blueberry Extreme Preamp. I think it's about 2004.

- Woody

Superior horns with Altec Lansing Drivers 1952 802C
    VAC Phi 220 mono amps, CAT JL2 Signature, Tango tranny 2A3 amp, 45 Sannei 602,McIntosh MC225,MC240,Wilson Audio Wattpuppy 8, KEF LS50, VAC Phi 2.0 Controller, CAT SL1 Ultimate Legend custom 2MC preamp, Manley Steelhead, TW AC3 with Black Knight platter and triple motor and feet, Micro Seiki RX-5000 with optional SX-8000 stainless steel platter and HS-80 Flywheel, Da Vinci Virtu,Fidelity Research FR66s silver edition,Kuzma 4 Point, Reed 3P,TW Acustic 10.5, SME 3012 Series 1

My oldest component must be my good old RPM9 turntable. A whole 10 years old now! Almost vintage.... I have replaced the belt and in 2013 mounted a nice new Ortophon cartridge. Still makes wonderful music although I have to admit that I don't spin a lot of my ca. 3000 records since digital streaming is around...
    Hans

Bowers & Wilkins 805 D3 /alternatively JM Lab Point Source Aria 5 (self modified)/ 2x SVS 3000 SB, Audionet AMP (2x), dCS Bartók used as streamer / DAC / preamp, Pro-Ject RPM 9 with Speedbox S and Orthofon MC Vivo Blue, KEF LS50 Nocturne / Sunfire Atmos(kitchen). Patio: Bluesound Node 2i and Focal CMS50.
    RoonServer on Nucleus.

I own mostly "vintage", but the oldest is from the 50's.

Adios

Quote Originally Posted by c.coyle View Post
    1969 Sansui AU-777A integrated amp. I'm slowly restoring it.
    I bet that's a fun project. I wonder if pics of "works in progress" are encouraged here?

speakers are almost 30 years old, many other components over 20 - yep, no flavor the month gear in my system.

Adios

still have the original Berkeley Alpha Dac....and haven't found a need to "upgrade." Maybe they do some trickle down tech from the reference DAC in the next two years.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

My ears are 57 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by c.coyle View Post
    It's going slowly due to work and family interference.

So far I've cleaned years of nicotine smoke (there is lots of clear tubing that has turned tobacco brown. I dread redoing that), redone and beefed up the power supply, and checked voltages and currents. I'm just starting the F-1170 Driver Amp Blocks.

This unit runs a little hot by design, so 3W and 5W cement resistors are going to be replaced and elevated off the boards. Two power supply 3W cements, R005 and R006, which run stupid hot, have been moved to a remote terminal strip. They were originally 22mm from the underside of one of the output caps, C820, and heat rises. I don't want them roasting a new Nichikon KZ.

Complete recap (films where possible) and replacing 2SC458 transistors are on the agenda.

I've attached a few photos, but I don't want to clutter up this thread. If they are a problem, or if this entire post is off topic, someone let me know and I'll delete them. EDIT: The photos are out of sequence, but you get the idea.

I promise I'll start a proper thread with pics when I have more done.

Your workmanship is first rate! I'm sure it is very satisfying to enjoy the fruits of your labor. My thrill is rebuilding tube amps, and while I sometimes have to stare at it sideways before I find the trouble area, that effort pays off in the end.

Mike & Joe . Do we need this kind of thread ? Oh...Mark too. LOL
    Paul

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Mike & Joe . Do we need this kind of thread ? Oh...Mark too. LOL
    Heck no. I'm still trying to figure out why we need a thread on how best to dust your equipment. The answer is sell it silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

My oldest pieces are a Sansui tuner from 1962, it was their first FM tuner. I also have a 1964 Eico tuner. Other pieces are a Technic's Su-7600 integrated amp from 1976 and a beautiful Luxman T-110 tuner from the 1970's.

I have 2 vintage TT's from the 1970's, a Thorens TD-145 and a Pioneer PL-55x both in mint condition.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Heck no. I'm still trying to figure out why we need a thread on how best to dust your equipment. The answer is sell it silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Makes perfect sense to me! lol

McIntosh MC 60 Amps. Various NOS tubes have them sounding just like I want them to. Sweet.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum forum. Thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

My amp and preamp were both built around 2000-2001 by Deja Vu Audio's former tech Pavel so 16-17 years old on both. But they both feature vintage parts, my amp has an Accrosound transformer from the 60's and my preamp has an Alps volume pot from 1977. Took the preamp in to have the volume pot cleaned and Vu told me he remembered the pot at that time it was the best sounding one they could find so they used it already 23 or so years old.

Wow! Even this thread is old. One of the guys that posted on here has been dead for awhile. My oldest components are my Ampex 350 repros that were hand built in the 1950s and built to run 24/7 and last a lifetime. They are on SS now.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Esoteric K-01X - Delivered Nov. 2015. I recently had to dust it!

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    Esoteric K-01X - Delivered Nov. 2015. I recently had to dust it!

Ken
    Still wearing diapers.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Why, you're welcome. Look forward to being a part.
    See the TRX-M845 amps in your equipment list. Am looking for the right 845-GM70 amps for the system. I won't even ask how you like them.

Tom

I have a later model pair of these and they are fantastic sounding 845's, no association with seller... https://www.audiogon.com/listings/tu...42-meridian-id
    Tannoy Westminster GR and ST-200 Supertweeter, Finale Audio 300B Mono's, Thoress Full Function Preamp, Thoress 845 Mono's, Found Music 2A3 Mono's, , Line Magnetic 219IA, Lumin A1, Lumin U1, EMM Labs DAC-2X, Lampizator Golden Atlantic DAC, Sansui TU-717, Kenwood KT-7500, Belden 8402 IC's, Duelund 16GA speaker wire

My oldest audio components (actually tweaks) are my Acoustic Revive RR-77, RIO-5II & RD-3 which i've owned for about 6 years, followed by my Taoc ASR series racks which i've owned for a similar period.

Still have my Bespoke Pre-Amp/phono built for me in 78 , it replaced My IC150 , Mac C22 and an AR-SP2 pre ..,

OK , ok , the IC150 doesnt fit , but you had to have one back then so you could hear all the new Technology ..

Just got a little older, I "accidentally" won an auction on Audiogon for an Audio Note Dac-3 Signature built in 1995. It sounds amazing!

Refurbished Scott 299 integrated amplifier. Sweet sound for those otherwise too-harsh-to-listen-to CDs
    Analog source: AMG Viella 12; Ortofon Anna cartridge, van den Hul Crimson Stradivarius XGW
    Digital source: Totaldac d1-twelve Mk2 DAC, Totaldac d1-player, Totaldac d1-streamer, Totaldac Live Power supply
    Pre amp: VAC Master with phono
    Phonostage: ​Constellation Andromeda
    Amps: VAC 200iQ monoblocks
    Speakers: Magico M3 with MPods
    Cables: Synergistic Research Galileo SX speaker, phono, analog and digital interconnects
    Power products: Synergistic Research Galileo PowerCell SX and Transporter Ultra. Galileo SX and SRX power cords. Keces P3 LPS for cable modem and router.

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Still wearing diapers.
    I have nicknamed my system "Benjamin Button".

Best,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

My oldest audio gear is full quad 2 amps , quad 22 preamp and both tuner . I believe they made 1958 by the series #
    TUBE SYSTEM : Tannoy canterbury GR. CARY 805AE. CARY Slp 05. Audioquest KE4 speaker cable. Audioquest diamond interconnect. Cardas clear PC.
    SOLID STATE SYSTEM : B&W 802 diamond. Mcintosh 601. Lampizator BIG7 Dac & Preamp. Mc book pro run jriver 21. Sony SCD1. JL F112 . Audioquest K2 speaker cable. Hidiamond P4 PC. ACROLINK interconnect. Finite elemente signature rack & Amp stands.

Aiwa F990 Cassette Deck obtain in 1983 and still kicking.

Yeah, I am ducking all the vegetables being thrown my way right now as I can hear you saying...."Cassette Deck..Why a cassette deck?....And not even a Nak Dragon!"

Well, boys and girls, I would put that Aiwa up against the Nak Dragon (a phenomenal deck BTW) any day and it even had Dolby C and HX-Pro (Dragon only had Dolby B if I remember correctly). ;-)

Thanks.
    Front End: MSB Select II DAC, MSB Reference Transport, Magnum Dynalab MD107T, Aiwa AD-F990
    Amplification: Dan D'Agostino Momentum HD Preamplifier & Momentum M400 MxV Monoblocks, Crown XLS 2502 (x3) (subwoofers)
    Speakers: Scaena La Maitresse Ultime Loudspeaker System
    Cables: Shunyata Aeros Aurora-SP, Shunyata Aeros Aurora-IC, Jungson Golden Dragon
    Power: GigaWatt PC-4 EVO+, GigaWatt LS-2HCEVO, Jungson Pure Power, JPS Labs AC+, Transparent HPPC
    Miscellaneous: ​Bohmer/Legacy Audio Wavelet DSP/Room Correction

Banned

Nakamichi 700 ZXL - Circa 1980

I've come to the conclusion that the best way to add a vintage touch to a modern system is with a tuner. Vintage tuners look great, and they have the advantage of outperforming almost all contemporary tuners in sound quality. I just bought a Luxman T-110 from 1976 ($545 back then!). Although I am not about to encourage audiophiles to spend more time listening to FM radio on their $100k systems, the tuner does have a long history in the hobby and was the focus of a terrific amount of perfectionist inventive energy. Back in the day radio was so important to the culture! In Toronto we have a few stations (JazzFM and CBC Radio 2) that have excellent programming and low-compression signals. I'm having fun listening to the T-110 (5 Gangs, ceramic trimmer caps), not least because it sounds SO much better than the JCPenny MCS Receiver my Dad had when I was a kid. The sonic image is impressively clear and musical, with a substantial bottom end and extended highs. That "white fuzz" I associate with FM is not present. What a blast.

Magico M2
    AMG V12 (Teatro cart)
    Lampizator Atlantic Plus DSD512
    Aesthetix Calypso Signature Preamp
    Luxman C-900u Preamp
    Auorasound VIDA (phono-stage)
    Parasound JC 1+ monos
    Aurender N100h
    Nordost Frey 2
    HRS, Rix Rax

Marantz 2270 (1976). I bought it at Bay Bloor Audio in Toronto. It was a lot of money for a UofT student!

You mean Bay Bloor "Radio." I bought a pair of Mission Speakers there in 1993 when I was a U of T student. I used student loan money (HiFi is a necessity, right?).

Quote Originally Posted by Valve36 View Post
    Marantz 2270 (1976). I bought it at Bay Bloor Audio in Toronto. It was a lot of money for a UofT student!
    Magico M2
    AMG V12 (Teatro cart)
    Lampizator Atlantic Plus DSD512
    Aesthetix Calypso Signature Preamp
    Luxman C-900u Preamp
    Auorasound VIDA (phono-stage)
    Parasound JC 1+ monos
    Aurender N100h
    Nordost Frey 2
    HRS, Rix Rax

Quote Originally Posted by BayStBroker View Post
    You mean Bay Bloor "Radio." I bought a pair of Mission Speakers there in 1993 when I was a U of T student. I used student loan money (HiFi is a necessity, right?).
    Cool! Yes, I did mean Bay Bloor Radio (oops). (Haha, I used student loan money too). Do you know if they're still in business in the Manulife Centre?

some great photos

Awesome Sounding Deck......Love The Horizontal Control Panel
    Quote Originally Posted by laynesaddiction View Post

Aiwa F990 Cassette Deck obtain in 1983 and still kicking.

Yeah, I am ducking all the vegetables being thrown my way right now as I can hear you saying...."Cassette Deck..Why a cassette deck?....And not even a Nak Dragon!"

Well, boys and girls, I would put that Aiwa up against the Nak Dragon (a phenomenal deck BTW) any day and it even had Dolby C and HX-Pro (Dragon only had Dolby B if I remember correctly). ;-)

Thanks.

Dahlquist DQ 20.....I have owned many speakers,these are special and remain in my possession. Serviced in 2013 by Mr. Legall (gentleman in the photo..at his shop during final testing)

My SME V tonearm is over ten years old. Still operating perfectly.
    Audionet Pre g2, Max, Pam G2, EPX. Yg Acoustics, Kubala Sosna

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

So how old is your "oldest" component?