Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Audio Research REF 6 Preamp

Quote Originally Posted by slowikpl View Post
    From another member i got this tip:

if you want to burn-in them just get some wires with alligator clips. If the preamplier is turned - off, the capacitors are in a medium -impedance state as the cathode resistor is around 10 kohm and the other wire of the capacitor is grounded by the mute relay.

That would be the best solution. I`m +/- 100% sure that I will not harm my beloved preamplifier ? I was also thinking about this, and even take out the valves out to be sure I don't damage anything.. Can another forum member approve this approach?
    Reckless. You can't be serious.

Call or write ARC directly and ask them how to do the modifications & connections.
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    Hi Andy,

You raise an excellent point. Some owners, like yourself, love the Ref 6's sound from day one. Other owners need to go fully through the break in process before they find audio nirvana. I would encourage those owners to withhold judgement until the Ref 6 has at least 600 hours on it.

I have loved the sound of my Ref 10 since day one. But I've been told that I will keep hearing improvement until about 600 hours. I'm currently at 250 hours and I'm still hearing consistent improvement in terms of smoothness, refinement and dimension.

Best,
    Ken
    Hi Ken,

Glad your experience with the Ref 10 is similar to mine. I do believe with use these components benefit from burn in and settle down to their in age character but the difference is subtle. Sounded great from day one and only better now. The Ref 6 now has a place in my reference system.

Best always...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello ,

I’m a proud owner of Audio Research Reference 6 Preamplifier. I want to combine this unit with SS Amplifier the Vitus Audio SM-011. The only question I have will it electric drive the SS- monoblocs via the XLR connection?
    The Sterophile test of my Reference 6 says in the measurement: The balanced output clipped at 2.7V into 600 ohms; like the Ref 5, the Ref 6 should not be used with power amplifiers having an input impedance of less than 10k ohms.
    Read more at http://www.stereophile.com/content/a...XSulREJtzz2.99

The XLR impedance of the SS Amplifier the Vitus Audio SM-011 is 10KΩ 10KΩ
    Read more at: http://www.vitusaudio.com/files/4405...28-10-2016.pdf

And here the predecessor SM-010 was even tested with the Reference 5 Preamplifier with good results.
    http://www.tonepublications.com/review/heavy-metal/

Speakers/Amp/Preamp: DIY closed 3-way/ AMP:???? / ARC Ref 6
    Sources: DAC Aqua La MKII , Marantz SACD SA11S1
    Cables/Power/Other:
    Transparent Audio Reference XL , DIY XLR Western Electric WE16GA

Audioshark

The REF5SE with my Vitus SS-103 worked beautifully.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Thanks Mike for the quick response. I think I will go “blind” for the SM-011 after you and many more people who have advised me this brand in Class-A amplifiers. I hope this will be major step up from my XA-160.5

Cables/Power/Other:

Audioshark

Thanks Mike for the quick response. I think I will go “blind” for the SM-011 after you and many more people who have advised me this brand in Class-A amplifiers. I hope this will be major step up from my XA-160.5
    I don't think you will be disappointed.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

I have purchased new Audiodharma Cable Cocke r. In the meantime I`m asking myself if the result will blown me away with the speaker-Capacitor burn-in , maybe I should also burn the capacitors of my new Preamplifier the Audio Research Reference 6 ? Thake them out and burn properly on the Cable Cocker ;-) Just a thought, the unit sounds great imho. I like soldering and make some test ;-) Does anybody know somebody done that ?
    This is a joke right? Unless you hold IPC solder certifications and have a really good soldering station which includes a desoldering tool, you stand a good chance of causing damage to the circuit board. You will most certainly void your warranty and your value on the used market if you disclose your shenanigans (which would also prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are a crazy audiophile) would drop faster than a used prophylactic.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    This is a joke right? Unless you hold IPC solder certifications and have a really good soldering station which includes a desoldering tool, you stand a good chance of causing damage to the circuit board. You will most certainly void your warranty and your value on the used market if you disclose your shenanigans (which would also prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are a crazy audiophile) would drop faster than a used prophylactic.
    Hi Mep.

I was jest asking myself and also here if anyone has tried this. The outcome by cocking Duelund capacitors after one year of use was beyond my belief! I'm just thinking about speed up this process in Reference 6 and even my thinking is that good capacitors can never been broken in without this peace of treatment! Really! Voodoo equipment!
    I will after this reactions not do this to Ref 6.

Cables/Power/Other:

After chasing and thinking of swapping my long time companion in form of ModWright LS36.5DM with REF5SE and unsuccessful chase for it across Europe I've stumbled on almost new REF6 which I could not resist to, so as of today I finally have an ARC preamp from REF series. Previously I had LS2B and LS16mkII so this should be, from my point of view, a big come back to the ARC family. Unfortunately I'll have to wait for a few weeks to plug it in due to planned trips, but the longer you wait for something to happen the sweater it gets when you get it .
    LS: Vienna Acoustics Klimt "The Music"
    PowerAmp: Nagra VPA
    PreAmp: Tobian Soundsystems SC12
    DAC: LampizatOr Horizon
    Server: LDMS Maximus Music Server
    CDT: CH Precison D1
    Switch: Edison Creation Silent OCXO Extreme, FiberBox
    Power: LampizatOr Kraftwerk 10
    Cabling: Signal Projects loom

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Golum View Post
    After chasing and thinking of swapping my long time companion in form of ModWright LS36.5DM with REF5SE and unsuccessful chase for it across Europe I've stumbled on almost new REF6 which I could not resist to, so as of today I finally have an ARC preamp from REF series. Previously I had LS2B and LS16mkII so this should be, from my point of view, a big come back to the ARC family. Unfortunately I'll have to wait for a few weeks to plug it in due to planned trips, but the longer you wait for something to happen the sweater it gets when you get it .
    Congrats!! Great preamp. Audio Research REF 6 PreampAudio Research REF 6 Preamp

Quote Originally Posted by Golum View Post
    interesting , I absolutely adored my ref 5 and ref 5se [ couriers lost my ref 5!] it had a beautiful textured sound . sadly had to sell for financial reasons but gradually working my way up again . had the 36.5 modwright for a while and then most recently got the 36.5dm . its good and beautifully made but aiming for the ref 6 . now they are VERY rare s/h in uk so waiting for the se to come out . anyone know when that is ?

however a well meaning dealer lent me a grandinote proemio [Italian ] pre and my word that is easily up to the dm level so might persue that as well as the ref 6 as the proemio is SS and no valves to worry about

an engineer I know is currently working on an arc anniversary pre which I saw last week , fabulous engineering !

Phil, see if you can find the Ref 40 used. It has a separate power supply and if the ref 10 was anything to go by, it will be the dog's bollocks. Just one thing, if you are driving a SS amp (in case you still have your MSB) you might want to check impedance match and the VTL will be better to drive a SS amp.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    interesting , I absolutely adored my ref 5 and ref 5se [ couriers lost my ref 5!] it had a beautiful textured sound . sadly had to sell for financial reasons but gradually working my way up again . had the 36.5 modwright for a while and then most recently got the 36.5dm . its good and beautifully made but aiming for the ref 6 . now they are VERY rare s/h in uk so waiting for the se to come out . anyone know when that is ?

however a well meaning dealer lent me a grandinote proemio [Italian ] pre and my word that is easily up to the dm level so might persue that as well as the ref 6 as the proemio is SS and no valves to worry about

an engineer I know is currently working on an arc anniversary pre which I saw last week , fabulous engineering !

thanks kedar . yes ref 10 are still extortionate prices and having seen the complexity of the anniversary I am a bit nervous if it needs repair . yes still using the amazing msb s200 , it really does sound good . I bet the high end grandinote would give arc pre amps a real run for their money . have you ever heard any ?

good to know re the vtl powering the ss amp

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    thanks kedar . yes ref 10 are still extortionate prices and having seen the complexity of the anniversary I am a bit nervous if it needs repair . yes still using the amazing msb s200 , it really does sound good . I bet the high end grandinote would give arc pre amps a real run for their money . have you ever heard any ?

good to know re the vtl powering the ss amp
    The ref 40 is similar to 10 and discontinued so available cheaper. 10 is more user friendly and a couple of caps. There is an article on audiobeat describing sonic differences but I understand they are minimal. VTL 7.5 mkII and III have low impedance and put out a lot of current to drive SS amps. I personally haven't compared VTL to ref 10 but you will see that in Roy Gregory's review.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Audio Research REF 6 Preamp