Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: HD800 or HE1000

HD800 or HE1000

Hi
    Looking for some guidance. I have just bought the Auralic Taurus MK2 headphone amp and I am looking for new HPs to go with it.

I currently have Q701s which sound great with the new amp, but I am keen on either of the above. I tend to listen to a wide variety of music, but not Classical or Jazz.

Anyone have this amp with either of the above?
    Devialet 200
    Melco N1A
    Sonus Faber Olympica 2

Auralic Taurus MK2 Headphone amp
    Hifiman HE1000 Headphones

Re: HD800 or HE1000

I also have the Auralic Taurus. I'm running it in my office with a Vega DAC. I also own HE 1000 which replaced Oppo PM-1. There are a lot of very nice HP out there. Just like home speakers, its a very personal choice. I love the newer planars. There are a few to choose from. IMHO, the OPPO and Hifiman are the most neutral of the bunch. The Senn's are a different sound. The Taurus does a good job of driving them all, so don't worry about that.

Good Luck, you'll have to listen for yourself....
    Turntables: Acoustic Signature Invictus Jr. NEO, Grand Prix Monaco V3.0
    Tonearms: Acoustic Signature TA-9000 NEO, Kuzma Safir
    Cartridges: Miyabi Fuuga, Ortofon Century, Murashino Sumile Mono
    Phono Amplifiers: CH Precision P1, Channel D Lino 3.3
    Digital: CH Precision C1.2/D1.5/T1, Innuos Statement Nextgen, Luxman D-10X (Loan)
    Amplifiers: CH Precision L10/M10, Parasound JC1+, Gryphon Diablo 333 (Incoming)
    Speakers : Magnepan 30.7x, Wilson Audio XVX Chronosonic/Subsonics
    Cables: CAD Ground Controls/USB, Cardas Beyond Clear, Gobel Lacorde Statement
    Accessories: Artesania Exoteryc Racks & Damping Plates, Seismion Reactio, Degritter RC, RPG Acoustic Treatments/PSI AVAA, Torus Power/Plixir Elite BAC

I have both and I prefer the HE-1000. It is a headphone I can listen to for long periods of time. The HD800 (with Anax mod) is great value but still gets tiring after while. I'm using the Liquid Gold amp.

I will say the the HD800's get very fatiguing without the Anax mod.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by the professor View Post
    I will say the HD800's get very fatiguing without the Anax mod.
    Jock.......My experience with the Sennheiser HD800 being driven by the Sennheiser HDVA 600 headphone amplifier is quite the opposite of your comment. I have listened to this headphone for as long as 4 hours at a time without a hint of listener fatigue or discomfort. It is a superior sounding headphone on every level over my previous Sennheiser HD600 and HD580 headphones. Not only does it sound spectacular to me, the comfort level is exceptional as well.

I believe there are endless combinations of source components, DAC's, amplifiers, interconnect, power cables, and headphone cables that will produce various levels of satisfaction with any headphone. Just like speakers, a headphone is only a single link in the audio chain that impacts the final sound, not to mention the quality of the recordings played. For me, the Sennheiser HD800, with the Sennheiser CH 800S balanced cable plugged into the Sennheiser HDVA 600 headphone amplifier, delivers an astonishingly rich level of performance that I find completely satisfying for both short term and long term listening sessions. Of course the general subjectivity of sound weighs heavily on personal preference, so opinions will vary.

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Thats awesome!

I've never heard the HDVA 600 amp.

They are very comfy - no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Double-D View Post
    Jock.......My experience with the Sennheiser HD800 being driven by the Sennheiser HDVA 600 headphone amplifier is quite the opposite of your comment. I have listened to this headphone for as long as 4 hours at a time without a hint of listener fatigue or discomfort. It is a superior sounding headphone on every level over my previous Sennheiser HD600 and HD580 headphones. Not only does it sound spectacular to me, the comfort level is exceptional as well.

I believe there are endless combinations of source components, DAC's, amplifiers, interconnect, power cables, and headphone cables that will produce various levels of satisfaction with any headphone. Just like speakers, a headphone is only a single link in the audio chain that impacts the final sound, not to mention the quality of the recordings played. For me, the Sennheiser HD800, with the Sennheiser CH 800S balanced cable plugged into the Sennheiser HDVA 600 headphone amplifier, delivers an astonishingly rich level of performance that I find completely satisfying for both short term and long term listening sessions. Of course the general subjectivity of sound weighs heavily on personal preference, so opinions will vary.

Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Jock.......Here is a link to my HD800 and HDVA 600 review I posted on Head-Fi back in early 2014. The first three posts tell the story and I still feel exactly the same way today. Quite a few other Head-Fi members purchased the HD800 and HDVA 600 amp and posted good reviews of their experiences. It is a winning combination.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/702344/senn...dva-600-review
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Some great replies thank you, I am still debating. Big difference in price here in UK, £1100 to £2200, and I find it difficult to hear the HE1000. The nearest dealer is a 480 mile round trip!!
    Devialet 200
    Melco N1A
    Sonus Faber Olympica 2

An anax mod?? So I pay £1100 for a headphone and have to fiddle about .......its a crazy hobby -)
    Devialet 200
    Melco N1A
    Sonus Faber Olympica 2

I would check to see if you can hear the Oppo PM-1 locally. They are similar in sound signature to the Hifiman and should be significantly cheaper. If you like the Oppo, then perhaps you double down to try to find the Hifiman to see if the they merit the cost difference to you. If you don't like the Oppo and prefer the Senn's, then you'll know the Hifiman is going in the wrong direction for you.
    Digital: CH Precision C1.2/D1.5/T1, Innuos Statement Nextgen, Luxman D-10X (Loan)
    Accessories: Artesania Exoteryc Racks & Damping Plates, Seismion Reactio, Degritter RC, RPG Acoustic Treatments/PSI AVAA, Torus Power/Plixir Elite BAC

Quote Originally Posted by annapolis Raider View Post
    I would check to see if you can hear the Oppo PM-1 locally. They are similar in sound signature to the Hifiman and should be significantly cheaper. If you like the Oppo, then perhaps you double down to try to find the Hifiman to see if the they merit the cost difference to you. If you don't like the Oppo and prefer the Senn's, then you'll know the Hifiman is going in the wrong direction for you.
    Great idea, I can hear the Oppo at a local dealer, but not sure I am there pal right now as I demoed a Linn system there and eventually bought a Devialet from somewhere else ;-)

Do you mean that the PM driver is what makes the sound signature?
    A part of me thinks I should go PM as I have 701s right now and the 800s might sound too similar
    Devialet 200
    Melco N1A
    Sonus Faber Olympica 2

Not sure I understand the question.... Not implying all Planar Mags sound similar. IMHO they don't. But the Oppo and Hifiman do.

Not sure I understand the question.... Not implying all Planar Mags sound similar. IMHO they don't. But the Oppo and Hifiman do.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    Devialet 200
    Melco N1A
    Sonus Faber Olympica 2

If i do get to hear the Oppos they are also half the price of the HE1000 here in the UK ;-)
    Devialet 200
    Melco N1A
    Sonus Faber Olympica 2

Quote Originally Posted by Womaz View Post
    If i do get to hear the Oppos they are also half the price of the HE1000 here in the UK ;-)
    Heard the HE1000 at a show last weekend and thought they were very nice. The Oppo can however not match either the Senn or the Hifiman, it's a different league.

The HE1000 is way easier to drive than the Senn, to make the HD800 sing you need to invest a couple grand more. However, if you do, you get really a pristine setup.

I think it is really simple: either you invest more than double the price in the HE1000 or you get the Senn and invest in you amp/power/aftermarket cable/playback SW.
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

So you would say that a Devialet 200 feeding an Auralic Taurus amp will not get the best out of the HD800?
    If thats true I will probably go for the HE1000.
    I have a pair arriving to test and I am trying to arrange a pair of HD800 at the same time. You never know my Q710s might sound just as good .-)
    Devialet 200
    Melco N1A
    Sonus Faber Olympica 2

So you would say that a Devialet 200 feeding an Auralic Taurus amp will not get the best out of the HD800?
    If thats true I will probably go for the HE1000.
    I have a pair arriving to test and I am trying to arrange a pair of HD800 at the same time. You never know my Q710s might sound just as good .-)
    Hi Womaz, I think the Taurus should have power aplenty to drive the HD800s. IMHO the Senns do sound quite nice with Auralic. I have the Gemini 2000, which has less output power and it is a killer combo.

However, I am using the Auralic with an external PSU, Shunyata power treatment and with Audirvana for playback from a MacAir. Also, Replacing the stock cable brings quite a significant improvement to the HD800s, I am using a Cardas cable.

In a summary, the HE1000 is an easier load while the Senns are more difficult to drive. But if you have a system suitable to drive the HD800 you will get a headphone soundstage second to none.
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Yes I am hoping I can arrange to have a pair of HD800s on home demo at the same time. It will have the stock cables but it will give me a chance to compare. I have read a lot about the Cardas cables. 3m is just about the minimum I need to be honest. I have a Grado extension cable but I dont really want to use that with the new HPs.
    Thanks for your input.
    Devialet 200
    Melco N1A
    Sonus Faber Olympica 2

Just to add I love the look of the HD800, the HE1000 I am not so sure.
    Devialet 200
    Melco N1A
    Sonus Faber Olympica 2

Just an update for all the people who might be interested.
    My dem HE1000 arrive tomorrow so today my local dealer let me take the HD800s away for a few days. They are a brand new pair and he says they will sound better after 72 hours or so.
    One concern I had was that I would not find much difference from my Q701s as I am 52 year old and ears probably not what they used to be.
    Wow though straight out of the box. Soundstage soundstage detail detail and clarity. Absolutely different league to my 701s. They actually have a similar type sound to the 701s but just do it much better. When I put the 701s back on its like I have a cotton mud stuck in my ear.
    I am no headphone expert like some on here and that’s why I see your advice. The jump up in SQ has taken me completely by surprise.
    Slightly bright at times but I am hoping that will go with the burn in, and only one cable and no balanced cable are my only moans. Although HD800 may be better on standard anyway I have no idea.
    The HE1000 arrive tomorrow and are double the price! So that will be interesting.
    I know now that I will be buying some new headphones ………just time will tell which ones.
    Devialet 200
    Melco N1A
    Sonus Faber Olympica 2

So today I ordered my HE1000 headphones
    They will be driven by my Devialet 200 into my Auralc Tauris MK2 headphone amp.
    I had the HD800 and HE1000 on home demo over the weekend which gave me a chance to compare them. The HD800 arrived first and straight out of the box sounded amazing. The new amp is quite a step up from my old one so not sure how much of it was down to this. But compared to my Q701s they were in a different league. Soundstage, clarity and detail in abundance. I sort of regretted asking for the HE1000 as at this stage I thought they could not match the HD800.
    I was wrong. The HD800 is an amazing headphone and if I had never heard the HE1000 then I would have been very satisfied with them. But the HE1000 arrived and changed all that. Wow!
    In my opinion soundstage is even better than the HD800. In short I felt it offered the same as the HD800 but was just more pleasing to my ears. The HD800 on certain tracks could sound a bit bright to me, some female vocals like Birdy for example had too much of a hiss for my liking. I feel the strengths of the HD800 would be with Classical music, I would imagine it excels at that.
    I took advice on here and tried to EQ out some of the brightness and after about two hours experimenting I achieved it. Well to a degree. The reason I even tried this was the large price difference. So I thought I had achieved this, until I put the HE1000 back on. It again just sounded better, more natural. More forgiving possibly.
    I have an album by Amber Rubarth-Sessions from the 17th Ward. Not usually my kind of stuff but I have grown to love this over the last few weeks. A track called Tundra I thought would be perfect to hear the HD800 on. It was, but again the HE1000 just did it better in my opinion. The percussion on this track with the HE1000 is absolutely stunning. Then a bit heavier stuff. Royal Blood, Arctic Monkeys, Foals etc. The HE1000 just did it all so well.
    I much prefer the look and the fit of the HD800 , a simple and beautiful design, oh and I much preferred the price too , but it was always going to be about the one I enjoyed the most and that was undoubtedly the HE1000.
    I just wish I could have the looks and fit of the HD800 with the sound of the HE1000……maybe one day -)
    Devialet 200
    Melco N1A
    Sonus Faber Olympica 2

Good Story Womaz, enjoy..........

I really like my HE-1000's. I pretty much agree with everything you said.

Congrats.

So today I ordered my HE1000 headphones
    They will be driven by my Devialet 200 into my Auralc Tauris MK2 headphone amp.
    I had the HD800 and HE1000 on home demo over the weekend which gave me a chance to compare them. The HD800 arrived first and straight out of the box sounded amazing. The new amp is quite a step up from my old one so not sure how much of it was down to this. But compared to my Q701s they were in a different league. Soundstage, clarity and detail in abundance. I sort of regretted asking for the HE1000 as at this stage I thought they could not match the HD800.
    I was wrong. The HD800 is an amazing headphone and if I had never heard the HE1000 then I would have been very satisfied with them. But the HE1000 arrived and changed all that. Wow!
    In my opinion soundstage is even better than the HD800. In short I felt it offered the same as the HD800 but was just more pleasing to my ears. The HD800 on certain tracks could sound a bit bright to me, some female vocals like Birdy for example had too much of a hiss for my liking. I feel the strengths of the HD800 would be with Classical music, I would imagine it excels at that.
    I took advice on here and tried to EQ out some of the brightness and after about two hours experimenting I achieved it. Well to a degree. The reason I even tried this was the large price difference. So I thought I had achieved this, until I put the HE1000 back on. It again just sounded better, more natural. More forgiving possibly.
    I have an album by Amber Rubarth-Sessions from the 17th Ward. Not usually my kind of stuff but I have grown to love this over the last few weeks. A track called Tundra I thought would be perfect to hear the HD800 on. It was, but again the HE1000 just did it better in my opinion. The percussion on this track with the HE1000 is absolutely stunning. Then a bit heavier stuff. Royal Blood, Arctic Monkeys, Foals etc. The HE1000 just did it all so well.
    I much prefer the look and the fit of the HD800 , a simple and beautiful design, oh and I much preferred the price too , but it was always going to be about the one I enjoyed the most and that was undoubtedly the HE1000.
    I just wish I could have the looks and fit of the HD800 with the sound of the HE1000……maybe one day -)
    Jock

---------

Congrats on the new headphones!

I love my new McIntosh headphones also. I hear some great things about the HE1000. Sure you will love them!
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

HE1000 are "a little" more open, vivid, dynamic and airy then PM-1 and even LCD-3. For my ears they are closer to truth then others.

Marcin

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

HD800 or HE1000