Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Moon Nea 430HA Headphone Amplifier

Has anyone
    auditioned the Moon Neo 430HA headphone amplifier? Thoughts and impressions?

http://www.simaudio.com/DATA/PRODUIT...-amplifier.pdf

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Re: Moon Nea 430HA Headphone Amplifier

Here is a look at the balanced headphone outputs that exist behind a sliding door and a peek inside the fully balanced Moon Neo 430HA headphone amplifier.

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

I listened to that, thought it was very bland. I cannot believe the asking price of that unit. I'm sure there are $500 amps that are better.

Quote Originally Posted by vortrex View Post
    I listened to that, thought it was very bland. I cannot believe the asking price of that unit. I'm sure there are $500 amps that are better.
    vortex.......Perhaps it was the headphones you were using. Perhaps the 430HA was not broken in when you heard it, or just maybe it was the source material. I audition head amps with a headphone that I am intimately familiar with and always use music I have heard many times.

Interestingly, Steve Guttenberg who writes audio reviews for CNET reported the Moon Neo 430HA headphone amplifier didn't make a strong first impression. He let a tuner play through the headphone amplifier for a week, then reported an entirely different impression. In his words, "the transparency and purity of the sound jumped ahead of any amp I've auditioned at home, almost every headphone sounded better than ever!"

I will agree that its $3500 price will make a person gulp, and with the DAC option the price goes to $4300. That puts it in the same price range as the new McIntosh MHA100 headphone amplifier at $4500. Considering the capabilities the Moon Neo 430HA offers, the state of the art specifications, and Moons robust build quality and solid reputation I don't think the asking price is out of line.

I have owned a few head amps in the $300 to $500 range that were good performers but none of them holds a candle to the $1600 Sennheiser HDVA 600 headphone amplifier I am presently enjoying with my Sennheiser HD800 headphone. Whether or not the Moon Neo 430HA headphone amplifier outperforms the Sennheiser HDVA 600 is something a direct A/B comparison would require for me to have an opinion. What I am fairly certain of is there are likely no $500 head amps in the same league as the Moon Neo 430HA. You may prefer the sound of a much lower priced product but whether it is better than the Moon headphone amplifier is debatable in my opinion.
    Dan

I went to the audio store to demo headphones. I listened to the HiFiMan HE1000, HiFiMan HE560, Grado GS1000e, Grado PS1000e, and a couple of others. All sounded like crap. Thin and lifeless with no power. You are right, I did not know what DAC the iPad was controlling. They all sounded so bad I lost interest pretty quick and left. Now that I know the price of the Moon I can assume the dealer was using a source to match. The Moon is the only amp they were demo'ing with and that plus the headphones looked well worn in. Honestly, I never heard of Moon and I thought it was probably $500. It's not a matter of preferring a certain type of sound, it was just bad.

Double D, I have no experience with the Moon product, but I would encourage you to add the Auralic Taurus to your demo list. I have used a Taurus with a number of different headphones to excellent results. There are plenty of reviews out there on it.
    Turntables: Acoustic Signature Invictus Jr. NEO, Grand Prix Monaco V3.0
    Tonearms: Acoustic Signature TA-9000 NEO, Kuzma Safir
    Cartridges: Miyabi Fuuga, Ortofon Century, Murashino Sumile Mono
    Phono Amplifiers: CH Precision P1, Channel D Lino 3.3
    Digital: CH Precision C1.2/D1.5/T1, Innuos Statement Nextgen, Luxman D-10X (Loan)
    Amplifiers: CH Precision L10/M10, Parasound JC1+, Gryphon Diablo 333 (Incoming)
    Speakers : Magnepan 30.7x, Wilson Audio XVX Chronosonic/Subsonics
    Cables: CAD Ground Controls/USB, Cardas Beyond Clear, Gobel Lacorde Statement
    Accessories: Artesania Exoteryc Racks & Damping Plates, Seismion Reactio, Degritter RC, RPG Acoustic Treatments/PSI AVAA, Torus Power/Plixir Elite BAC

Quote Originally Posted by annapolis Raider View Post
    Double D, I have no experience with the Moon product, but I would encourage you to add the Auralic Taurus to your demo list. I have used a Taurus with a number of different headphones to excellent results. There are plenty of reviews out there on it.
    annapolis Raider.......Thank you for the suggestion. It will take a very special headphone amplifier to make me abandon the Sennheiser HDVA 600. I will check out the Auralic Taurus.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by vortrex View Post
    I went to the audio store to demo headphones. I listened to the HiFiMan HE1000, HiFiMan HE560, Grado GS1000e, Grado PS1000e, and a couple of others. All sounded like crap. Thin and lifeless with no power. You are right, I did not know what DAC the iPad was controlling. They all sounded so bad I lost interest pretty quick and left. Now that I know the price of the Moon I can assume the dealer was using a source to match. The Moon is the only amp they were demo'ing with and that plus the headphones looked well worn in. Honestly, I never heard of Moon and I thought it was probably $500. It's not a matter of preferring a certain type of sound, it was just bad.
    Moon is the premium product brand for Simaudio. Their reference level products are branded as Simaudio Moon. Simaudio Moon Neo is one level down from Simaudio Moon. The fact that all those phones you demoed through the 430 sounded bad does not automatically point the finger to the headphone amp. There could have been a glaring setup issue with the source/DAC, etc...the fact that you assume that the dealer was using a "source to match" tells me you were not familiar with the playback set-up, the source material, and so your conclusions are at best inconclusive to my reading of the situation.
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Anything is possible, but considering this dealer hosted the last Can Jam in MI I assume they know how to set up a DAC. I mean, what is there to set up anyway? This is not a turntable.

I own the Moon Neo 430 HAD, along with the Moon 600i. The 600i is better in all regards (it's incredible for headphones), but the 430 is very, very capable. The onboard DAC is a steal.

I used the 430 with the Abyss and it was a VERY good combination. I was happy for a long time. The Abyss are hard to drive!
    Ross

Headphones:
    Abyss AB-1266
    Amplifier: Simaudio Moon 600i
    Source: Lumin A1

Speakers: KEF LS50

Cables: Kimber, Toxic Widow

Studio

Speakers:
    PMC TwoTwo 8
    Source: Prism Lyra

Sub: PMC TwoTwo Sub2

Quote Originally Posted by Double-D View Post
    I will agree that its $3500 price will make a person gulp, and with the DAC option the price goes to $4300. That puts it in the same price range as the new McIntosh MHA100 headphone amplifier at $4500. Considering the capabilities the Moon Neo 430HA offers, the state of the art specifications, and Moons robust build quality and solid reputation I don't think the asking price is out of line.
    Don't forget that the Mc is also a very good integrated amp. Even though it is only rated at 50W, it is a gutsy McIntosh amp... powering my KEFs louder than I would ever want them to go... has a very good PCM DAC and is McIntosh's best headphone amplifier. And it is just dam good looking ... it is a McIntosh and made in Binghamton New York ... so if you are going that price range... simply choice, get the Mc!
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I own the Sennheiser HD800S and HDVA600 amp. Very happy with the combo but I just wondered if anyone has compared the Sennheiser amp with the Moon Neo 430HA? I have the Moon Neo 260D as my source which is why I'm looking at the Moon headphone amp.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team