Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: What amp on Harbeth speakers ?

I just bought a pass x250.5 to compare it my kharma monos. Going now to pick it up.... can't stop swopping. ....

Kharmas deliver 150 on 4 ohm and the Pass 500....
    Wil see what the kharma db7 does on a passx 250.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9505 met Tapatalk

Here it is. New in the gear swappers paradise.

Let's see how this giant does against the little kharma mono amps...

I have to say that the kharmas are so musical that I didn't see why I should change gears.
    But than I could not sleep thinking that it could be sounding better.

So what do u do when it itches?

You itch... lol

uploadfromtaptalk1450220770856.jpguploadfromtaptalk1450220781226.jpguploadfromtaptalk1450220794810.jpg

Super Moderator

My Naim Supernait2 was outstanding on my Harbeth 30.1's.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I have not seen a lot of naim being paired with harbeth.

Ive heard leben tubes that did verry wel with harbeths.

Naim and harbeth are like butter and toast. what Joe said, I had a supernait driving HL5s beautifully. it wont break the bank and it fits on one shelf (no separates).

In that case I think they dont like butter and toast here in Holland. Lol

Naim , Croft , Sugden and LFD are super with Harbeth. Currently I have a LFD and leave it on 24/7 - loving that combo .
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by mazzialk View Post
    Here it is. New in the gear swappers paradise.

Let's see how this giant does against the little kharma mono amps...

I have to say that the kharmas are so musical that I didn't see why I should change gears.
    But than I could not sleep thinking that it could be sounding better.

So what do u do when it itches?

You itch... lol

uploadfromtaptalk1450220770856.jpguploadfromtaptalk1450220781226.jpguploadfromtaptalk1450220794810.jpg
    Wow!

That's a beast!

Please post your impressions.

Quote Originally Posted by kkfan View Post
    Wow!

That's a beast!

Please post your impressions.
    Hi KKFAN
    Here comes the first listening impression.

I did a listening session yesterday and the PASS was not a match in my room with my system.

I found the Pass a bit glary compared to the kharma monos in my system.

With the kharma u get an unbelievable transparancy that make things more real without getting irritating or harsh on the ears after an extensive listening session.

The kharmas just made a mutch better match I think with the rest of the stuff.

It's just wauww listening with the kharmas in place. Every note ,every resonating strings, every voice just makes u tap your feet and move your head.

U actually forget every thing and listen to music.

The Pass in my system just didn't achieve that yesterday.

than there is the low frequenties were the Pass in his first 15 w of klass A just is not a match for the kharmas. Klass A design does not have the grip and speed like the kharmas do with their CRAZY dampingfactor of over 400.

The speed of base Lines were faster en clearest with the kharmas and the s3nce of decay of echo's were far better hearable.

With the Pass my room got choked with the low frequenties when i crancked up the volume .With the kharmas the room didn't resonate that much and everything stayed clear , fast and enjoyable.

The Pass also had a bit of kick in the mid section as voices tended to get bigger and less natural.
    Also the sense of decay and micro detail was less apearant with the Pass.

The stage was ok with the Pass but the placement of everything was far better and more pinpoint with the kharmas.

I have had a few pass gear and it never got me to say wauwww.
    The only Pass I had a good match with was the ALEPH OS AND ML38S with the kharma s7s speakers.

I had the hope this baby would make me happier ,but one again im sad en verry happy at the same time.

Sad that this beautifull machine doesn't get his plays in my rack because I find the Pass to be much more beautifull that the little kharmas.

Happy that the little kharmas are as good as it gets.

I have had a ton of stuff and all have passed and the kharmas are stil here at my home.

Even the Lamm ml1 /ml2/ m1 are history but I just could not Let go of this little fu..ers.

The KHARMA MP150 s are absolutley one of the best AMPS I HAVE HAD.

U have to hear them with a good tube amp. Than u get the best of both worlds.

Sorry for the spelling fault guys. My english is far from perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by mazzialk View Post
    Hi KKFAN
    Here comes the first listening impression.

I did a listening session yesterday and the PASS was not a match in my room with my system.

I found the Pass a bit glary compared to the kharma monos in my system.

With the kharma u get an unbelievable transparancy that make things more real without getting irritating or harsh on the ears after an extensive listening session.

The kharmas just made a mutch better match I think with the rest of the stuff.

It's just wauww listening with the kharmas in place. Every note ,every resonating strings, every voice just makes u tap your feet and move your head.

U actually forget every thing and listen to music.

The Pass in my system just didn't achieve that yesterday.

than there is the low frequenties were the Pass in his first 15 w of klass A just is not a match for the kharmas. Klass A design does not have the grip and speed like the kharmas do with their CRAZY dampingfactor of over 400.

The speed of base Lines were faster en clearest with the kharmas and the s3nce of decay of echo's were far better hearable.

With the Pass my room got choked with the low frequenties when i crancked up the volume .With the kharmas the room didn't resonate that much and everything stayed clear , fast and enjoyable.

The Pass also had a bit of kick in the mid section as voices tended to get bigger and less natural.
    Also the sense of decay and micro detail was less apearant with the Pass.

The stage was ok with the Pass but the placement of everything was far better and more pinpoint with the kharmas.

I have had a few pass gear and it never got me to say wauwww.
    The only Pass I had a good match with was the ALEPH OS AND ML38S with the kharma s7s speakers.

I had the hope this baby would make me happier ,but one again im sad en verry happy at the same time.

Sad that this beautifull machine doesn't get his plays in my rack because I find the Pass to be much more beautifull that the little kharmas.

Happy that the little kharmas are as good as it gets.

I have had a ton of stuff and all have passed and the kharmas are stil here at my home.

Even the Lamm ml1 /ml2/ m1 are history but I just could not Let go of this little fu..ers.

The KHARMA MP150 s are absolutley one of the best AMPS I HAVE HAD.

U have to hear them with a good tube amp. Than u get the best of both worlds.

Sorry for the spelling fault guys. My english is far from perfect.
    Thanks a lot for the in-depth impressions! What amp on Harbeth speakers ?

Super Moderator

"The KHARMA MP150 s are absolutley one of the best AMPS I HAVE HAD."

Hi mazzialk,

Now you excited my interest in these amps. I'll have to check them out as I've never heard of them. Thank you.

Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    "The KHARMA MP150 s are absolutley one of the best AMPS I HAVE HAD."

Hi mazzialk,

Now you excited my interest in these amps. I'll have to check them out as I've never heard of them. Thank you.

I think u wil love the sound but haten the looks.
    That was for me the only part I didn't like.
    They look cheaper than they are and do not have the feeling (weight and mesurements)of an high end product.
    That is were kharma went wrong when making these mini amps.

They should have put it in a nice bigger elegant box.
    Ive had them beside every amp I have ever had in the years as they were one of the first "high end" amps i bought .

I compared all the amps ive had to the kharmas and I found the kharmas Being the most honest /fast /clear and smooth sounding.

Ofcourse there was also the AIRTIGHT ATM2 AND THE LAMM M1 that did a Wonderful job . But comparing price to performance ratio , the kharmas win every time.

The kharmas absolutley show what u put in front of it.

They absolutley do what a good amp should do.
    Be fast, have power and deliver clear sound open sound with huge dynamics. U can than tune your sound by having a preamp of choice.

Even with my shl5 that I did a shoots out with a coupled of audio friends , every one prefererd the kharma mp150 paired with the audionote m3 .
    The mp150 en m3 had the most envolving sound between 4 amps en 3 preamp that I was comparing and pairing with the shl5.

interesting.

'Class D' does have advantages in the deep bass in terms of linearity. the issues have always been image density in the mids and the top end naturalness and extended listening fatigue. I'm guessing avoiding the SMPS seems to have solved that for these amps.

I've always been a Kharma fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
    interesting.

'Class D' does have advantages in the deep bass in terms of linearity. the issues have always been image density in the mids and the top end naturalness and extended listening fatigue. I'm guessing avoiding the SMPS seems to have solved that for these amps.

Hi Mike

To tel u the truth I never was a fan of D amps.(til I got the kharmas to test)
    Thats one of the reasons I kept changing amps because I always though that D is inferior to klaas A/AB amps.
    But in the years I tried to convince myself that the kharma mp150 was inferior I found myself getting rid of one amp after the other and keeping the kharma.

Ofcourse I have had a few pre amps that did not match wel with the kharmas. And suprisingley the kharma P150 pre was one of those amps that was just to fatique to listen to for my taste paired with the monos.

I tried a few speakers to see if I can make the combi of kharma pre and amp work together (also tried the shl5) and even with the shl5 the kharma pre drove me turning the volume down at some moments because it pushed hard on some notes louder than other notes.

U can call me a tube head case I love the liquidity of tube but with the kharma monos and an good tube pre I have never missed Airtight Atm 2 I had.

Let me make it clear ,the ATM2 was one of the best tube amps I have ever had.
    That baby could rock and had balls.

Cheers maz

It's all about the synergy.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    It's all about the synergy.
    And luck .

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Let's face it.... Most Hi-Fi stuff looks ridiculous.

- BBC speakers look like shoeboxes
    - Most Wilson Audio speakers look like high-end trash compactors.
    - Avantgardes are straight out of Dr. Suess.
    - Kharmas and Rosso Fiorentinos look like high-end coffins.
    - Martin Logan panels look like cheese graders.
    - Maggies look like an ugly canvas.
    - Magico speakers look like high-end, painted telephone poles.
    - Living Voice speakers look like tissue boxes.

The list goes on..
    LMAO
    Paul

Hey guys,

Im somewhat active on other forums but I don’t think ive ever posted here before...

Since we’ve moved and now have a much larger living/audio room, I am thinking about a pair of Harbeth 40.2’s and am curious how my gear will fair with them...
    I have a Wells Audio Innamorata Signature amp (http://www.wellsaudio.com/innamorata-signature/)
    and have just purchased and am running-in a Lampizator Atlantic w/ volume control. I also have a Vinnie Rossi LIO w/ DHT to use as preamp if I like it better than Lampi straight to the amp...

We know that the LIO has a special synergy with Harbeth but my Wells amp out performs the internal LIO amp, so the LIO had been purchased for preamp only... now with the Atlantic, I have the option to run the Lampi straight to amp OR with the LIO as pre...

So this system could go a couple diferent direction but I’d love to hear that the amp would be a good match for the 40.2’s...

Any thoughts on these combination?

thanks
    Jason

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Jason. Thank you for joining.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
    interesting.

Never noticed this Mike , always Prefered A/AB amplfiers low Bass over Class-D.

Look at a 25hz squarewave on a Class-D amp and you will see there's no way its more linear at Low frequency , they fail sonically to me at the freq extremes , Lows and Highs and best for them is in the middle..

This has been my experiences with Class-D ....

Regards

Jason

There's no reason to think the Wells won't be a great match as it is a highly thought of piece. I think Sugden and LFD are also popular choices. As I'm sure you know Vinnie shows with Harbeth and owns them himself so he voices with them so he thinks the LIO works. All you do is try the possible combos and decide.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Quote Originally Posted by jriggy View Post
    Hey guys,

Im somewhat active on other forums but I don’t think ive ever posted here before...

Since we’ve moved and now have a much larger living/audio room, I am thinking about a pair of Harbeth 40.2’s and am curious how my gear will fair with them...
    I have a Wells Audio Innamorata Signature amp (http://www.wellsaudio.com/innamorata-signature/)
    and have just purchased and am running-in a Lampizator Atlantic w/ volume control. I also have a Vinnie Rossi LIO w/ DHT to use as preamp if I like it better than Lampi straight to the amp...

We know that the LIO has a special synergy with Harbeth but my Wells amp out performs the internal LIO amp, so the LIO had been purchased for preamp only... now with the Atlantic, I have the option to run the Lampi straight to amp OR with the LIO as pre...

So this system could go a couple diferent direction but I’d love to hear that the amp would be a good match for the 40.2’s...

Any thoughts on these combination?

thanks
    Jason
    Hi Jason, Welcome to the AS, I'm a long time owner of Harbeth speakers. I think they would be perfect for the Harbeth M40 series. You can't go wrong with your set up. I also using the Lampi as my DAC
    Paul

Thanks for the welcomes and for the words of encougement!

Ive read Alan Shaw’s coments and stance on amps for Harbeth, so I figured the watts and realatively high damping factor of 200, that the Wells amp I own has, would be good with the 40.2...but only way to know if it will be great is to try it...

Good to hear there is at lest one other Lampizator owner using Harbeth.

Also no doubt the VR LIO works well with harbeth. With my curent speakers, the Wells amp beat out the LIO internal amp in a level of realness and tone, also a clearner sound...but at many times the cost of the LIO internal amp, I thought the difference would be larger. Just shows how good the LIO as integrated really is.

I hope to take a trip up to Chicago and/or Detroit in the next month or two (I hope I don’t have to wait til March) to hear the big harbeths and will work from there...

All else seems right —gear should work well, room size is great now, and my personal auditory wants/needs are pulling me in the direction of Harbeth.

just read the whole thread and some great reading there . i notice no one mentioned hegal or unison research . back last feb alan was using the delightful hegal 360 with some p3esr in the bristol show and he liked them a lot

https://www.hegel.com/products/integrated/h360

then few weeks back i heard a unison research unico primo 90 with some shl5plus and it really was a match made in heaven , the owner had upgraded from the luxman 550 ax mark 2 and preferred it . its a hybrid amp so tube rollers can have a play if they want
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

Audioshark

Have a fellow coming to hear the 40.2’s Anniversary Edition with Pass today. Nice combo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

Have a fellow coming to hear the 40.2’s Anniversary Edition with Pass today. Nice combo!

Beautiful Mike, Give them few hundreds hours
    Paul

Mike,

Looks great!

Hard to be sure on the web, is that the anniversary walnut or the silver eucalyptus?
    Also what stands are those?

thanks for posting
    Jason

Audioshark

Mike,

Looks great!

Hard to be sure on the web, is that the anniversary walnut or the silver eucalyptus?
    Also what stands are those?

thanks for posting
    Jason
    Thank you!

My 40.2 Anniversaries are Silver Eucalyptus.

The stands are HI-Fi Racks. I MUCH prefer the Ton Trager, but they’re sold out until February and these are loaners.

As for “best amp for Harbeth”, for me, ARC!!! I tried a bunch. ARC is the Ying to the Harbeth Yang.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Thank you!

My 40.2 Anniversaries are Silver Eucalyptus.

The stands are HI-Fi Racks. I MUCH prefer the Ton Trager, but they’re sold out until February and these are loaners.

As for “best amp for Harbeth”, for me, ARC!!! I tried a bunch. ARC is the Ying to the Harbeth Yang.

I have been waiting for an ‘action shot’ of the silver eucalyptus in the wild... this confirms it’s the color I am most interested in.

And I was just going to post in the new “stands for Harbeth” thread, asking if anyone has tried the Ton Trager stands. They sure do read as quite interesting.

DSkip

I'm dying for you to hear the MastersounD Dueventi / 30.2 combination Mike. That pairing is one of the best I've ever heard with any combination of speakers/amps. With the other models, I could definitely see ARC as a good pairing.

jriggy, I've got the Ton Trager stands as well on my 30.2 like Mike does. I haven't swapped to see what impact they really have but they do look nice together. The stands are very light and I wouldn't recommend them if its a high traffic area with risk of someone hitting them. The Hi-Fi Racks stands are much sturdier.

What amp on Harbeth speakers ?

I really think Harbeth work best with Tube amplification. Currently I'm using EL34 based amp ( Air Tight ATM3 Monos ) they really sing together.
    Paul

The best amps I used with my SHL5's were the Manley Snapper monoblocks. The best amp on my 40.1's was the BAT REX. Tried offerings from Bryston, Krell, VTL, Spectron and probably some I can't remember.
    Audionet Pre g2, Max, Pam G2, EPX. Yg Acoustics, Kubala Sosna

So I finally recently had a demo of the 40.2...with some very good/pricy gear. Top Nagra amp and preamp, w/ a Nagra DAC and a MSB DAC, Aurender N10 as source.

The Nagra HD AMP amps appear to be 250w/30w class A. At $80k a pair, this is considerably more than my Wells Audio Innamorata Signature 150w amp @ a $15k retail...

the control over over the speaker with close to $200k in electronics was very very good.

I can not find the damping factor of the Nagra HD amps but my Wells amp has a 200 damping factor... I’m curious if my curent amp would have the same control over the speakers as the Nagra’s did. I know, rough to answer —just thinking out loud I suppose...

—————————

Also, Mike, what ARC amp in particular did you like with the 40.2 that got your “best” of what you tried vote?

Jason

Audioshark

So I finally recently had a demo of the 40.2...with some very good/pricy gear. Top Nagra amp and preamp, w/ a Nagra DAC and a MSB DAC, Aurender N10 as source.

The Nagra HD AMP amps appear to be 250w/30w class A. At $80k a pair, this is considerably more than my Wells Audio Innamorata Signature 150w amp @ a $15k retail...

the control over over the speaker with close to $200k in electronics was very very good.

I can not find the damping factor of the Nagra HD amps but my Wells amp has a 200 damping factor... I’m curious if my curent amp would have the same control over the speakers as the Nagra’s did. I know, rough to answer —just thinking out loud I suppose...

—————————

Also, Mike, what ARC amp in particular did you like with the 40.2 that got your “best” of what you tried vote?

Jason
    Hi Jason - the GS150 with REF10 (and REF6) was sublime. Luxman 509/590 and ARC GS150/REF PRE are my absolute favorite pairings with Harbeth....so far....

I bet ARC sounds great with Harbeth . Also ,the PrimaLuna amps has been one of excellent match as well and doesn’t break the bank

Paul

Super Moderator

I’ve loved Naim on 30.1 and 40.1

NAD C 658 streamer.

Pass and Harbeth is a classic combo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Hi Jason - the GS150 with REF10 (and REF6) was sublime. Luxman 509/590 and ARC GS150/REF PRE are my absolute favorite pairings with Harbeth....so far....

Thanks Mike. Wow, the GS150 is one beautiful looking amp!

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    My Naim Supernait2 was outstanding on my Harbeth 30.1's.
    been using one too with shl5plus and its good , some people don`t believe me though !!
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

I recently replaced my McIntosh MA6600 with a Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP Integrated and the Primaluna really makes my 30.1s sing. Here is what Herb Reichert of Stereophile just said about amps for the 30.2s: "The combination of the Harbeths and Bel Cantos (e.One Ref600M monoblocks) was a nonstop pleasure. But! The Pass Labs XA25 exceeded the Bel Cantos in clarity and transparency. Overall, the Nelson Pass–designed XA25 allowed me to engage more with the music, and the Harbeths to reproduce almost everything right. The Pass Labs XA25 is the amp Herb the Reviewer recommends for use with the Monitor 30.2s. But! The amp that Herb, that Monk in the Bunker, most enjoyed with the Harbeths was PrimaLuna's ProLogue Premium. Its 35Wpc were enough power for my type of listening, and its EL34 tubes added an appealing touch of saturated color that kept my focus on the music rather than on the sound." My Primaluna uses twice the number of EL34s and pumps out 70wpc (or you can use KT150s - which some prefer to EL34s - for about 95wpc).
    Clearaudio Ovation turntable/Clearaudio Universal tonearm/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze/Esoteric E-03; Apple Air/Ayre QB-9 DSD; McIntosh MCD500; Pioneer RT-909 reel to reel; PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated Amplifier; Harbeth 30.1 Monitors; REL S/5 SHO; Shunyata Venom PS8 Power Distributor, Venom Defender, Venom HC and Venom 3 PCs; Cardas Clear USB Cable; WireWorld Silver Eclipse 7 ICs and speaker cables; Steve Blinn Designs Rack; Mapleshade Platform; KLAUDiO RCM.

Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Shaw is generally amplifier agnostic but clearly likes power. Also bear in mind that this is a 40.1 rather than a 30.1 and you need to factor in the size of the room and your seating position - given my room set up I sit fairly close to the speakers. Finally consider how loud you listen. I try to listen at normal performance levels - but not Metallica in a small club levels. So with my 30.1s I have no trouble driving them with a 70 watt tube amp. I might also add that if I had to listen to “music” like that in the video I’d sell my gear and take up photography.
    Clearaudio Ovation turntable/Clearaudio Universal tonearm/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze/Esoteric E-03; Apple Air/Ayre QB-9 DSD; McIntosh MCD500; Pioneer RT-909 reel to reel; PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated Amplifier; Harbeth 30.1 Monitors; REL S/5 SHO; Shunyata Venom PS8 Power Distributor, Venom Defender, Venom HC and Venom 3 PCs; Cardas Clear USB Cable; WireWorld Silver Eclipse 7 ICs and speaker cables; Steve Blinn Designs Rack; Mapleshade Platform; KLAUDiO RCM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moby View Post
    Shaw is generally amplifier agnostic but clearly likes power. Also bear in mind that this is a 40.1 rather than a 30.1 and you need to factor in the size of the room and your seating position - given my room set up I sit fairly close to the speakers. Finally consider how loud you listen. I try to listen at normal performance levels - but not Metallica in a small club levels. So with my 30.1s I have no trouble driving them with a 70 watt tube amp. I might also add that if I had to listen to “music” like that in the video I’d sell my gear and take up photography.
    Of course he must like power because he builds speakers with low sensitivity. The whole purpose of the demo was to show how much power is required with his 40.1 speakers to play back music with lots of dynamic range. Shaw was close to ridiculing the idea that someone with a 7 watt amp could drive his speakers without tons of distortion. The sensitivity for the 30.1 is the same as the 40.1. So to get back to the point of this thread, according to Shaw his speakers like an amplifier with lots of power.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    It would help a lot to know how loud they were playing. But even through my iPad Pro speakers the transient dynamics on that ‘chirp’ was kinda crazy.

Thanks for the video link Mark. Interesting conversation and test. Net net, Harbeths love and can handle power.

At his store, Mike drove the 40.2s with the VAC IQ200s and they sounded fantastic.

As others mentioned, I can see ARC, PASS, CH, DAG, VAC, among others as very nice amps to drive the Harbeths. Pick your flavor with enough power and enjoy the music.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

PrimaLuna HP with EL34 running in Triode mode has plenty of power to drive the Harbeth 30.2 in my 26x31 room at normal listening levels. By normal I mean 85dB with peaks up to 92dB with no signs of clipping from the amp. When I want to really crank it up, the Ultra-linear gives me even more headroom and does not run out of steam and of course with the Luxman L590 it is not an issue what so ever. The 30.2s are rated at 150w power handling by the way. Just because the 40.2 can absorb 700w on peaks as that video shows does not mean the "need" that kind of power. No one should be listening to speakers when they are absorbing 700w of power if you value your hearing. Tubes or SS is a personal preference, I like them both equally. As long as the amps are of decent quality, the Harbeths are happy.

I am currently using a pair of Odyssey Audio Khartago Extreme Monoblocks with the Super HL5's, and I love the combination. I have also used the Exposure 2010S in the past. Love the way both sound with the Harbeths. They are in my opinion very forgiving speakers.
    Main Listening System
    Harbeth SHL5, REL T-5, Odyssey Audio Khartago Monoblock SE, Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE, Sony XA20-ES, Oppo BDP 105, Skylan stands, Nordost Heimdall II, Shunyata Research Hydra, Audioquest CV-8 speaker cables

Office System
    NHT Super Ones, Exposure 2010S2, Cambridge Audio 840C, Audioquest Type 4

My favorite amplification with my Harbeth P3ESR an M30.1 is Linear Tube Audio Z40 Reference Integrated Amp,

The LTA amp brings me so much more pleasure than the other amps I’ve used with my Harbeths- EAR. DEQX, PassLab Power, Leben CS300x, Leben CS600, LFD, Auralic Monoblock, BelCanto Monoblock.

Prior to the LTA amp, it was a merry go round searching for better “sound.” The LTA simply makes you lose yourself in the music- any genre. Near field or larger listening room, the LTA makes beautiful music with Harbeth and YG speakers as well.

Super Moderator

Welcome Jef

Quote Originally Posted by Jef View Post
    My favorite amplification with my Harbeth P3ESR an M30.1 is Linear Tube Audio Z40 Reference Integrated Amp,

The LTA amp brings me so much more pleasure than the other amps I’ve used with my Harbeths- EAR. DEQX, PassLab Power, Leben CS300x, Leben CS600, LFD, Auralic Monoblock, BelCanto Monoblock.

Prior to the LTA amp, it was a merry go round searching for better “sound.” The LTA simply makes you lose yourself in the music- any genre. Near field or larger listening room, the LTA makes beautiful music with Harbeth and YG speakers as well.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I have the 40.2 Anniversary speakers. I used a Luxman L-590 AXII and it worked very well but in some cases, I thought they could do with some more power. I added Gato PWR - 222 Monoblocks to the equation and they made a very noticeable difference.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team