Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

DSD versus PCM - Is DSD really better or is it a 'myth'

"DSD is 1-bit PCM, and in almost all practical systems, it greatly complicates the path between the A/D and D/A converter. "

"There are many spectacular DSD recordings, but the quality is not due to any virtues of the DSD format."

"Nevertheless, the measured performance of DSD falls between that of the CD and 96 kHz 24-bit PCM."

"DSD is almost exactly equivalent to a 20-bit 96 kHz PCM system. "

Audio Myth -"DSD Provides a Direct Stream from A/D to D/A" - Benchmark Media Systems, Inc.

Makes sense to me. Probably why the Berkely Audio Referance DAC only does PCM.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

re: DSD versus PCM - Is DSD really better or is it a 'myth'

I have only 1 native DSD recording from Blue Coast and it sounds no different than its standard Redbook CD recording both run using HQ player.

Using HQ player to upconvert to DSD, some music sounds better at DSD and other music sounds better at 96K. It can be frustrating but I seem to have it figured out which music will sound better at different resolutions.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

I can definitely see why only doing one format in a DAC would make sense. That way the DAC can be optimized for one or the other. Trying to do both in the same dac, seems to compromise both.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Old stuff. The guy is a DSD hater. Whenyou hear quality DSD done right, there can be no question.

Nothing to see there.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    Old stuff. The guy is a DSD hater. Whenyou hear quality DSD done right, there can be no question.

Nothing to see there.
    Agreed. I am a DSD believer.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Audioshark

Nothing to see there.
    Agreed. Sigh....same old, same old.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Nothing to see there.
    That's a circular argument. One could turn that around and say if you have heard PCM done right, there is no question.

Until I heard the MSB Select DAC on Redbook tracks I "might" have agreed that DSD was probably the best digital I had heard. Too bad there is no listenable DSD content for me.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

The question is how do you know it is not the recording that is done right, versus the format?
    Bud

Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    The question is how do you know it is not the recording that is done right, versus the format?
    The question for me, is the artist/performance interesting. The quality of the recording comes in a distant second.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Re: DSD versus PCM - Is DSD really better or is it a 'myth'

This PCM vs DSD debate has been going on in every audio and computer audio forum out there since hi-rez stuff started and its never answered, just people defending what they have heard or know or what someone has told them or they read it somewhere. And I agree with Jim, it all depends on the artist and I would like to add, what type of music the person likes. But me, give me a well made recording with an artist that I enjoy and I don't care what format its in. Man its all about the music.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

I've gone back to my oPPo 95 for a transport......

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    The question for me, is the artist/performance interesting. The quality of the recording comes in a distant second.
    I sort of agree. Generally, I don't listen to music I do not care for, regardless of the quality. On the other hand, I would prefer the best quality available for music I do like.
    Bud

Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.

+1 Bud. Especially true with LPs, looking for good pressings/masterings, etc.

Allen

Buy the Opus4 DSD128 Sampler. I have the tape also, so I have "the" analog benchmark comparison.

The Opus4 DSD128 sampler is a good test base for your DAC and player.

I found that up sampling to DSD256 from the 128 recording on the fly using JPlay offered further improvement and a closer approximation to the analog tape master copy on the iFi iDSD.

Blacker but it is not as dynamic as tape. It would be great to compare a balanced Lampizator GG + CAPs JPlay vs Studer A810 loaded with A820 output amps.

When comparing PCM vs DSD, IMO PCM sounds best at 96/24. DSD continues to sound more organic the higher you go with it. Of course the outcome depends on the quality of the source and how well it was digitised to begin with.

Speakeasy

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    That's a circular argument. One could turn that around and say if you have heard PCM done right, there is no question.

Until I heard the MSB Select DAC on Redbook tracks I "might" have agreed that DSD was probably the best digital I had heard. Too bad there is no listenable DSD content for me.
    Have you heard a broken in GG do DSD, for example?
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    This PCM vs DSD debate has been going on in every audio and computer audio forum out there since hi-rez stuff started and its never answered, just people defending what they have heard or know or what someone has told them or they read it somewhere. And I agree with Jim, it all depends on the artist and I would like to add, what type of music the person likes. But me, give me a well made recording with an artist that I enjoy and I don't care what format its in. Man its all about the music.
    All this may be true, but teh fact is DSD is the easier playback format to do well while PCM is the easier format to record in. You can now switch on the flay to any format you like anyway. The point is the Benchmark bashing is tired and biased and we heard it all before.

I personally admire great examples for both (I have heard the GG play DSD and the Trinity play PCM in the same system). Different flavors of delicious ice cream. What is there not to love?
    NORMAN

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Buy the Opus4 DSD128 Sampler. I have the tape also, so I have "the" analog benchmark comparison.

I found that up sampling to DSD256 from the 128 recording on the fly using JPlay offered further improvement and a closer approximation to the analog tape master copy on the iFi iDSD.

Blacker but it is not as dynamic as tape. It would be great to compare a balanced Lampizator GG + CAPs JPlay vs Studer A810 loaded with A820 output amps.

When comparing PCM vs DSD, IMO PCM sounds best at 96/24. DSD continues to sound more organic the higher you go with it. Of course the outcome depends on the quality of the source and how well it was digitised to begin with.
    Steve I have the IDSD and the B7. The Chipless DSD playback is a notch or 3 above the iDSD….which already is very, very good.
    NORMAN

I am not aware of a rationale as to why DSD would be better than PCM. Not that I need one as proof, but a curious manufacturer would like to understand.

After a few years of trials, I came to the conclusion that PCM DAC conversion is often poorly made, and that musically satisfying DSD DAC conversion is simply easier. I never made it to the point where I missed DSD though, which would have tipped the balance.

I also found that the stages upstream of the DAC are more important than people assume, and I ended up spending (and advising clients to spend) more on digital transport than on DAC, as counter-intuitive as that may be.

But of course, given how few DSD files are actually available (not to mention affordable), that is a bit of a moot point for those who love to explore new music.
    Manufacturer of
    ICOS Audio, complete active systems, amplifiers, DACs and CD-players

Importer of
    Antipodes Audio music servers and cables

In our Paris showroom, music lovers are welcome to experience the multi-awarded Dedicace, a five-way active system equipped with:
    - Antipodes DX music server
    - Antipodes Audio Kokiri AES cable, Reference InterConnect (2x) and Komako speakers (2.5 pairs)
    - Legato Power Cables (3x)

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post

Agreed - 100% on all accounts.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Julot View Post
    I am not aware of a rationale as to why DSD would be better than PCM. Not that I need one as proof, but a curious manufacturer would like to understand.

After a few years of trials, I came to the conclusion that PCM DAC conversion is often poorly made, and that musically satisfying DSD DAC conversion is simply easier. I never made it to the point where I missed DSD though, which would have tipped the balance.

I also found that the stages upstream of the DAC are more important than people assume, and I ended up spending (and advising clients to spend) more on digital transport than on DAC, as counter-intuitive as that may be.

But of course, given how few DSD files are actually available (not to mention affordable), that is a bit of a moot point for those who love to explore new music.
    You can use HQPlayer to upconvert on the fly and play to your DSD Dac's strength. You dont need new music files.
    NORMAN

You can use HQPlayer to upconvert on the fly and play to your DSD Dac's strength. You dont need new music files.
    It would seem that the nature of The DSD provides for better upsampling interpolation.

From my understanding, PCM on the other hand has the potential to introduce digitally induced ultrasonic artefacts at higher sampling rates.

Speakeasy

That would depend on if the file your up converting is well recorded. Still it comes down to the music being converted. If its sorry, you get a sorry up conversion but I do see you point. A good file upcoverted to DSD could be rather nice.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Agreed - 100% on all accounts.
    Hey what the heck are you doing up at 4:24 am, its Saturday

Nothing to see there.

Dude your hyperboles never ceases to amaze me. I presume you were kidding right?

Quote Originally Posted by FlexibleAudio View Post

Dude your hyperboles never ceases to amaze me. I presume you were kidding right?
    I don't think he is. He might have OD on the Lampi Kool-Aid.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

I've been a dsd/sacd fanatic since the year 2000 and consistently felt dsd was quite a bit better. I have many terabytes of dsd and 2xdsd I listen to all the time. I've been living with top level dsd for 9 years, while acknowledging that the 'Lampy' approach to dsd might even be a little better still.

but recently I've been enjoying PCM including redbook which is every bit the equal of my dsd experiences......and maybe just a little bit better. does it also equal or better the 'Lampy' dsd view. I don't yet know that.

I will say that it does require a substantial commitment to get PCM to reach these heights.

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    Absolutely correct. It is never answered because there is no definitive answer; it is a personal observation based on many, many variables. Anyone who makes a definitive declaration (as opposed to expressing their personal preference) just sounds kinda silly.

The recording itself, mixing, conversion, dithering, upsampling, dac execution, filtering, system etc., all have a profound effect on personal preference. I even might guess that some fall romantically in love with--lets say, the sound of tubes versus solid state in a dac and then confuse this coloration with other things. That's all fine but it should be made more clear when someone is describing a preference versus making definitive declarations.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
    I've been a dsd/sacd fanatic since the year 2000 and consistently felt dsd was quite a bit better. I have many terabytes of dsd and 2xdsd I listen to all the time. I've been living with top level dsd for 9 years, while acknowledging that the 'Lampy' approach to dsd might even be a little better still.

but recently I've been enjoying PCM including redbook which is every bit the equal of my dsd experiences......and maybe just a little bit better. does it also equal or better the 'Lampy' dsd view. I don't yet know that.

I will say that it does require a substantial commitment to get PCM to reach these heights.
    So what's new Mike?
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    So what's new Mike?
    Trinity dac

Good observations. I am curious Mike, do you mind if I ask what your reference dac's have been in these travels?

Trinity dac
    Myles just had a PCM epiphany with the PMD 200 at Magico's facility.

Good observations. I am curious Mike, do you mind if I ask what your reference dac's have been in these travels?
    for dsd, the Playback Designs MPS-5 for the last 9 years. for PCM, I'd say for the first 4-5 years I felt that the Playback Designs was in the ballpark for SOTA PCM. but for maybe the last 4-5 years I've been hearing better PCM performance than the Playbacks. but never toe to toe with my dsd reference, until now.

Trinity dac
    Very nice Mike. Auditioning or you purchased it already?

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by socfan12 View Post
    Very nice Mike. Auditioning or you purchased it already?
    I bought it 2 weeks ago. been listening since with my 'old' server. I'm in the process of building a 'hot rodded' CAPS v4 Pipeline server (very similar to the Lampizator Komputer but with a stand alone LPS) to fully optimize the Trinity.....and it will also improve the dsd with the Playbacks.

Congrats, Mike! You didn't get the corresponding Trinity server? I'll forward you a link to an AE forum where Dietmar talks alot about his work there. Interesting stuff.

Allen

for dsd, the Playback Designs MPS-5 for the last 9 years. for PCM, I'd say for the first 4-5 years I felt that the Playback Designs was in the ballpark for SOTA PCM. but for maybe the last 4-5 years I've been hearing better PCM performance than the Playbacks. but never toe to toe with my dsd reference, until now.

I somehow thought you would have the PBD. It is amazing what Andreas has done to keep that unit sota with upgrades. The MPS-5 must be the one of the best return on investment pieces of gear in the history of audio.

Congrats on the Trinity too!

I somehow thought you would have the PBD. It is amazing what Andreas has done to keep that unit sota with upgrades. The MPS-5 must be the one of the best return on investment pieces of gear in the history of audio.

Congrats on the Trinity too!
    thanks Paul.

I could not agree with you more about the remarkable staying power of the MPS-5. I had the very, very first MPS-5 in customer hands back in June 2006. and here 9 years later on it's 25th software release it's still relevant and competitive at the top of the dsd world, and still respectable PCM performance. it was a good value in 2006 and still is.

Quote Originally Posted by socfan12 View Post
    Congrats, Mike! You didn't get the corresponding Trinity server? I'll forward you a link to an AE forum where Dietmar talks alot about his work there. Interesting stuff.
    thanks. I see server technology as fluid. and as I have a network engineer son who can 'make stuff work' for his dad, I don't need plug and play like the Aurender or the Trinity PC & Drive. OTOH if I were to hear what the Trinity PC & Drive did to advance the performance who knows what I would do? the nice thing about staying generic with my server is that it can serve both the PCM and dsd dacs at the same time. if I had 2 systems, or was just PCM maybe I would view that differently.

products to enhance the server 'bit delivery' process are hitting the market daily. whereas dac performance advancement is less volatile.

Guys, why beat a dead horse? PCM v DSD is getting old. Just get over it. It all sounds good! Life's too short to worry about it.
    George
    -----------------------

Aurender ACS10 Music Server > Holo Audio May KTE R2R Ladder DAC > Pass Labs XP-30 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Renaissance ELS 15A Speakers