Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Dr Floyd Toole paper on measurement and EQ

Journal of the AES » 2015 July/August - Volume 63 Number 7/8
    Open access, so non-AES members should be able to view.
    Very good read.

cheers,

AJ

Re: Dr Floyd Toole paper on measurement and EQ

I think this just might be the wrong crowd for this paper. I can think of another site that loves them some charts and graphs and anything or anyone that was ever tied to Harman.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    I think this just might be the wrong crowd for this paper. I can think of another site that loves them some charts and graphs and anything or anyone that was ever tied to Harman.
    Mark, what's wrong with Harman?
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    Mark, what's wrong with Harman?
    Yep, and why might this be the "wrong crowd" for the paper?
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

Audioshark

In defense of Mark, he's saying things tongue in cheek. There is another site that drinks graphs and charts all day, sometimes at the expense of proper subjective listening.

I'm wondering, did Stradivarius use graphs and charts and measurements to tune the best violins in the world still today?

No, he used his ears.

When we can measure tonality, depth of soundstage and so many other aspects of listening, I'll pay more attention to measurements.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    There is another site that drinks graphs and charts all day, sometimes at the expense of proper subjective listening.
    Well, I prefer a cold Newcastle myself ....but those two things need not be incongruent, nor always framed as a dichotomy. Some of us are quite capable of both, others only one. The paper is mainly about EQ and relevant measures...not "Harman" per se.

I'm wondering, did Stradivarius use graphs and charts and measurements to tune the best violins in the world still today?
    No, he used his ears.
    Be careful with those analogies!

When we can measure tonality, depth of soundstage and so many other aspects of listening, I'll pay more attention to measurements.
    You're making this easy, we can measure those. Since the days of Blumlein!
    As I asked on another site during my brief stay, if this "stuff" is beyond known science/measurements, exactly how did it end up being designed, engineered and manufactured into an electro-acoustic product(s)?
    I think we're all to old too believe in magic. Alchemy perhaps?
    Anyway, back to the EQ paper...

cheers,

AJ

In defense of Mark, he's saying things tongue in cheek. There is another site that drinks graphs and charts all day, sometimes at the expense of proper subjective listening.

No, he used his ears.

Mike knows exactly what I'm talking about. There is another forum that has driven away members due to the unrelenting pounding of people with graphs and charts to 'prove' their point and most of them were sourced from Harman. The objectivists have won the battle there and like AJ, they proclaim anything that can be heard in audio can be and is being measured. It's a dirt road trip to nowhere and ends up being a giant exercise in mental masturbation.

I could be wrong, but I think the majority of people on AS are subjectivists who love to discuss how components look, feel, and sound vice drooling over a set of measurements and graphs.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Super Moderator

edit ....

I could be wrong, but I think the majority of people on AS are subjectivists who love to discuss how components look, feel, and sound vice drooling over a set of measurements and graphs.
    Mark,

Measurements only tell part/some of the story. In my limited experience, gear that measures worse than some has given me more musical satisfaction than gear that measures perfectly.
    Last edited by joeinid; August 24, 2015 at 06:56 PM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

There is another forum that has driven away members due to the unrelenting pounding of people with graphs and charts to 'prove' their point and most of them were sourced from Harman.
    That's horrible. Forcing people to sit at their computers and read posts and threads they don't like! Like this one.

The subjectivists have won the battle there.
    Congrats to them. Battle? Is this music and stereos we're talking about?

like AJ, they proclaim anything that can be heard in audio can be and is being measured.
    Nope, made no such claim. You might try reading the paper.....

Possibly...and this one in one thousand threads prevents that?

So AJ posts a link to an interesting AES publication and gets told this might be the "wrong crowd".

Am I alone in thinking that was offside?

I do believe the majority of people on AS are subjectivists - but does that make it right to deride objectivist contributions?
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_1282001 View Post
    So AJ posts a link to an interesting AES publication and gets told this might be the "wrong crowd".

Am I alone in thinking that was offside?

I do believe the majority of people on AS are subjectivists - but does that make it right to deride objectivist contributions?
    I am not deriding the article, I'm merely stating my opinion that the people on AS may not be the most receptive crowd for reading a 29 page engineering paper that objectivists would claim to love. Notice this thread had zero responses until mine. It probably would have died a natural death if I hadn't of posted. In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have expressed my opinion and breathed life into this thread. So please kiwi, read the article and share your thoughts with the forum.

[...] Notice this thread had zero responses until mine. It probably would have died a natural death if I hadn't of posted. In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have expressed my opinion and breathed life into this thread.

When your opinion could possibly be interpreted as suggestion that someone else's contribution is unfit for the forum (aka "wrong crowd") then I would agree that saying nothing at all would have been prudent.

Every time one of these threads come up, I just can't help but shake my head about why some people are so opposed to educating themselves about a hobby which they're supposedly passionate about. Doesn't make sense to me, don't you guys want to better understand these uber-expensive magic boxes?

Quote Originally Posted by Vapor1 View Post
    Every time one of these threads come up, I just can't help but shake my head about why some people are so opposed to educating themselves about a hobby which they're supposedly passionate about. Doesn't make sense to me, don't you guys want to better understand these uber-expensive magic boxes?
    I like these threads and its not over my head but all too often it devolves into an objectivist vs subjectivist food fight wherein one side that lives and dies by the numbers go out of their way to trash the opinions of those that rely on personal observation; i.e music lovers that actually listen and judge with their ears. the charge is usually led by trolls that don't have two nickels to rub together and love to tell you how much money you've thrown away on gear by following the advice in TAS and sterophile. why they even engage in high-end forums is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by puroagave View Post
    I like these threads and its not over my head but all too often it devolves into an objectivist vs subjectivist food fight wherein one side that lives and dies by the numbers go out of their way to trash the opinions of those that rely on personal observation; i.e music lovers that actually listen and judge with their ears. the charge is usually led by trolls that don't have two nickels to rub together and love to tell you how much money you've thrown away on gear by following the advice in TAS and sterophile. why they even engage in high-end forums is beyond me.
    Hopefully the mods see this as a deliberate attempt to derail the thread, have it devolve into the desired bickering (and containing several insults - the first in the thread). Nothing to do with EQ at all.
    Why people feel absolutely mandated/forced to engage in topics they abhor, is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post
    Hopefully the mods see this as a deliberate attempt to derail the thread, have it devolve into the desired bickering (and containing several insults - the first in the thread). Nothing to do with EQ at all.
    Why people feel absolutely mandated/forced to engage in topics they abhor, is beyond me.
    AJ I'm not talking about you or your post specifically, and I also see where MEP is coming from. IMHO a separate "technical" section on the forum would better serve your post and others like it rather than putting it in the general audio discussion forum. its not my site, its just a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by puroagave View Post
    AJ I'm not talking about you or your post specifically, and I also see where MEP is coming from. IMHO a separate "technical" section on the forum would better serve your post and others like it rather than putting it in the general audio discussion forum. its not my site, its just a suggestion.
    Rob, that's certainly an option, but Toole runs the gamut in the paper, talking about instruments, concert halls, production, etc, and yes, the general topic is centered around EQing and "correction" products. Of course there's technical aspects, but I've seen his quite technical speaker video posted by none other than Mike in another part of the forum. I don't see why any of this wouldn't be "General"...but I especially don't see why MEP et al would be so perturbed as not be able to just ignore a topic they have no interest in.
    Seriously, how about, "Hey, I really have no interest in EQ/measurements....so I'll simply ignore the topic and instead participate in threads I do have an interest in."
    Not sure what's so difficult about that.

cheers,

AJ

No, he used his ears.

If I had Stradivarius' hearing I too would have no use for measurements. But alas, no.
    So, I find products that measure relatively well then use my ears to ID the voicing that suits me and the 'magic'.
    I don't trust my ears to find and fix the nulls and peaks in my listening room. Frankly, it seems shortsighted to ignore tools that can be helpful to us all w/o Stradivarius Ears.

* It is unfortunate enthusiast sites like this one of all hobbies bring out the "If we don't agree, you are not only wrong, you personally are ____________ ." We say we come here to learn, only to reject the points and people who disagree with us. Pretty silly of us, huh?

Audioshark

No one is rejecting measurements, we just don't want to be beaten over the head for preferring a product that sounds better, but measures worse than one that measures well, but is not appealing to our ears. Measurements only tell part of the story. They're interesting and no one has done more in the area than Floyd Toole.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

I found the article very informative and educational. Thanks for posting it.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

No one is rejecting measurements, we just don't want to be beaten over the head for preferring a product that sounds better, but measures worse than one that measures well, but is not appealing to our ears. Measurements only tell part of the story. They're interesting and no one has done more in the area than Floyd Toole.
    In the latest edition of SP, JA wrote a review of the AQ Jitterbug. JA found that the Jitterbug improved the sound of 3 of the DACs he tried it with. When JA measured the Jitterbug, he could find no measurements to indicate why this is so and he wasn't happy with that. However, he strongly recommends it to the readers.

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

AJ, thanks for posting a great article. Floyd Toole has done a lot to advance loudspeaker development in the world.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    AJ, thanks for posting a great article. Floyd Toole has done a lot to advance loudspeaker development in the world.
    You're welcome. I'm glad some folks actually read the article, my intent, to share.
    He covers a lot of ground there and I'm especially pleased that he explains in detail the limitations of so called "room correction" products, since they have become very popular, but are not quite the panacea many think them to be.
    It's also great that we have folks like Toole et al, who are intellectually and scientifically curious enough to vigorously search for the correlations between audio measurements and sounds, rather than just passively believe in magic and alchemy. Dating back to the old days of Blumlein.

cheers,

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post
    You're welcome. I'm glad some folks actually read the article, my intent, to share.
    He covers a lot of ground there and I'm especially pleased that he explains in detail the limitations of so called "room correction" products, since they have become very popular, but are not quite the panacea many think them to be.
    It's also great that we have folks like Toole et al, who are intellectually and scientifically curious enough to vigorously search for the correlations between audio measurements and sounds, rather than just passively believe in magic and alchemy. Dating back to the old days of Blumlein.

cheers,

AJ
    AJ diffidently enjoyed the article
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Floyd Toole feild of research is PSYCHO-acoustics, subjectivity is included in the results.
    Very interesting
    HiFi: Moon 180MIND Bryston BDA2 Bryston BP17 Phono MC275 CE JBL 4430 (crossover redone)
    Technics SL 1200 G with NAGAOKA MP 500
    HT: Yamaha 3050 JBL 4425 (L/R) Homegrown JBL center and SVS PB2000

Thanks for sharing the article. It is another layer of learning for me.
    craig
    Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server with 4TB internal SSD
    Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Block Audio Power Cords, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
    Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - Alpha CGS cables
    Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches with fiber in between powered with Keces P3 LPSU,
    Cables: Wireworld Platinum Starlight 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 1M & 6M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
    Other: Isoacoustics GAIA I footers on the Kharmas, GIK & Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Ultra SS under
    Everest and Amplifiers, Three dedicated 20 Amp lines w/Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona 5 Shelf rack, ROON, a few HRS weights

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team