Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Hegel H30 - Preamp help!

I think Mike and Mark both tried that combo and didn't care for it. I have always preferred a tube preamp ahead of a SS amp, but that is just me. When I bring out the tube amps in cooler weather many times I will switch the preamp to the W4S STP-SE, which is neutral and fully balanced. The Classe SS preamps though are warmer and seem to be a good fit. Are you looking for fully balanced like the OP or does it not matter?

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    If you love the P20, enjoy it for a while and don't make a quick change. Only you can really decide what you like.
    The P20 put no coloration in the music at all. It feels as I mentioned the music get trough flawlessly.
    The H30 it is an amazing amplifier.
    My first day and can't say enough good things!
    What finish is your H30?
    Regards

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

If you love the P20, enjoy it for a while and don't make a quick change. Only you can really decide what you like.
    Joe, I would like to see if I get to know anyone in the NYC area with a,different pre-amp I can try with the H30.
    Maybe a dealer.
    I can't buy anymore without trying first.
    Thank you for your,advice.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by junglern View Post
    The P20 put no coloration in the music at all. It feels as I mentioned the music get through flawlessly.
    The H30 it is an amazing amplifier.
    My first day and can't say enough good things!
    What finish is your H30?
    Regards

I unfortunately don't have my H30 anymore, but it was silver. And, YES!, it is an amazing amplifier. My friend Bruce uses it with a McIntosh C500T and I absolutely love that combo.

Do you prefer a neutral sound or a warmer sound?
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

i recently tried a very good VAC preamp with my H30, it was pretty damn good. But the Classe is still a better match IMHO. And I've decided to stop trying to find something better, I'm totally satisfied!

I totally understand that the Classe has no snob appeal, all it does is make beautiful music when combined with the H30.
    Last edited by MDP; September 28, 2015 at 10:56 AM.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    i recently tried a very good VAC preamp with my H30, it was pretty damn good. But the Classe is still a better match IMHO. And I've decided to stop trying to find something better, I'm totally satisfied!

I totally understand that the Classe has no snob appeal, all it does is make beautiful music when combined with the H30.
    Mark, I like your point of stop trying Pres's. Yesterday was my first,day with the H30/P20.
    I am very happy. If I try another pre-amp might be the classe based on your experience. But I want just enjoy the music now.
    This amp pit my setup at a,different reference level I only knew from audio shows.

I know the US distributor of Hegel swears by the H30 & Concert Fidelity CF-80 combo. And I have to agree with him, so I bought a Concert Fidelity CF-080LSX. It is the best preamp I have heard in my system and at Precision A/V in Moorpark, Ca. Last year I bought a mint used H30, but the seller did not come thru, so I got another amp, which for the time being I am very happy with. If possible, please try out a Concert Fidelity pre. You will be very pleasantly surprised.
    Venture Audio Grand Ultimate in Macassar Ebony, Thrax Dionysos pre, Thrax Tres mono's, Magnus MA-300 w/ MA-500 power supply, Stealth digital RCA, Acoustic Zen Absolute Silver pc's, Prana Wire Cosmos sp. cables, LG 65" OLED, ModWright modified Oppo 103D(transport), Reference Line Stage power conditioner, SME 20-2w/ Graham 2.2 tonearm, Ortofon Windfeld, Canary Audio MC10, PranaWire Linebacker, Luxman D-08 cd/sacd/dac.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by MarinJim View Post
    I know the US distributor of Hegel swears by the H30 & Concert Fidelity CF-80 combo. And I have to agree with him, so I bought a Concert Fidelity CF-080LSX. It is the best preamp I have heard in my system and at Precision A/V in Moorpark, Ca. Last year I bought a mint used H30, but the seller did not come thru, so I got another amp, which for the time being I am very happy with. If possible, please try out a Concert Fidelity pre. You will be very pleasantly surprised.
    Looks good!
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Oh my yes! McIntosh preamps are great with the H30. I'd get a tube C2300, C2500, or C500T. Amazing synergy.

A C500T would be my first choice for the H30 based on experience.
    Sounds like I need to try this match.

The dealer who I demo'd a few preamps with thought I would not like the McIntosh sound based on my reaction to Luxman and others. But I am now convinced I need to find a way to try McIntosh with H30. I haven't heard a bad thing yet about the match.

Could someone who has heard this combo describe the qualities McIntosh imparts with the Hegel?

Much more open to 2 boxes than to a unit that runs very hot, or has tons of tubes with potential maintenance issues.

I will admit that as a relatively new audiophile, on some level I am still discovering the sound that I want. I think I am searching for some of that tube magic - and ease of listening - but without blurry images and mushy bass. I want a sound that takes me to the live venue - and has some of the presence of the Ref5SE - but with a complete non-fatiguing ease. The stability and power of the H30, with a pre that brings out a tone... the word "musical" seems overused, but I want the end product to be as musical as possible, not worried about bass slam, or perfect transparency. At the same time, want a sound that is totally alive and gets me off my ass. But without hard edges.

I have to say, based on how much I liked the little Rogue RP-5, I am very much looking forward to seeing how the Hera II matches.

I won't let this project continue forever, because I must say my system is severely missing out on it's potential right now with the P20 in it. Want my new pre in the system by year end at the latest!

Hi there - from many listening sessions that I have had with these at my dealer, I think the P30 is a big step up from the P20. Just my .02. But I've owned P20 for a few years and I have heard the P30 many, many times with the H30. I would say that if you like the P20 sound, the P30 is a very clear step up.

Jack. I am using the Hegel P20 that no-one seems to care for and it bested my Luxman 590 AX integrated.
    It seems to let the music get trough effortless.
    Wondering how much better the P30 could be.?
    I want to go with a pre-amp I see myself happy for a,few years.

Mark, I like your point of stop trying Pres's. Yesterday was my first,day with the H30/P20.
    I am very happy. If I try another pre-amp might be the classe based on your experience. But I want just enjoy the music now.
    This amp pit my setup at a,different reference level I only knew from audio shows.

I'm glad you're happy with what you have!
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Justin

Not sure your going to find to much similarity between a 12AU7 based preamp and one based on the 6H30 tube like the ARC used and is also used in the Hera.

The Cary will run HOT and has a LOT of tubes. It's something you might need to experience for yourself. My Conrad Johnson GAT only has 2 little tubes and sounds glorious with the H30. I know the Cary will require more care and maintenance. A less expensive Conrad Johnson tube preamp or even passive might be an easier pairing.
    Joe. How much do you think that the P30 worth in the used market to have an idea.
    Thanks

Super Moderator

Joe. How much do you think that the P30 worth in the used market to have an idea.
    Thanks

I think retail is only $7500? I am not sure. Maybe 4-5K used.
    Last edited by joeinid; September 29, 2015 at 05:28 PM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

But 4-5 used maybe I could do better than P30. The P20 it is enjoyable. Very neutral.

Regards

Super Moderator

But 4-5 used maybe I could do better than P30. The P20 it is enjoyable. Very neutral.

Regards

MY personal taste leans toward the warmer side of neutral. Everyone seems to like something different.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Any experience with plinius Koru phono preamp?

Any experience with plinius Koru phono preamp?

I demoed it. My Herron vtph-2 beat it (soundstage, harmonic accuracy, lows, highs, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Dpod4 View Post
    I demoed it. My Herron vtph-2 beat it (soundstage, harmonic accuracy, lows, highs, etc).
    The herron is a good match with H30?
    Thanks

In all honesty, this thread is most self indulgent. We all post what we like best as Joe has so keenly posted.
    Venture Audio Grand Ultimate in Macassar Ebony, Thrax Dionysos pre, Thrax Tres mono's, Magnus MA-300 w/ MA-500 power supply, Stealth digital RCA, Acoustic Zen Absolute Silver pc's, Prana Wire Cosmos sp. cables, LG 65" OLED, ModWright modified Oppo 103D(transport), Reference Line Stage power conditioner, SME 20-2w/ Graham 2.2 tonearm, Ortofon Windfeld, Canary Audio MC10, PranaWire Linebacker, Luxman D-08 cd/sacd/dac.

Anyone familiar with http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7109-gr...no-preamp.aspx
    I purchased one used. I am impressed.
    Regards

Anyone had experienced with Mark levinson 326 S and the H30?
    Thanks

I just saw the CP 800 used for $3,700 do you think is a,good price?
    Did you try the P30 before the classe?
    Regards

Mark I am deciding between classe CP 800. Hegel P30 or Mark levinson 326 S.
    The only able to audition the P30.
    Your advice highly appreciated.
    Regards

In my system I preferred the CP800 over the P30. The only Mark Levinson preamp that I tried with the H30 was the No.52, which is a very expensive pre, it paired beautifully with the H30.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

In my system I preferred the CP800 over the P30. The only Mark Levinson preamp that I tried with the H30 was the No.52, which is a very expensive pre, it paired beautifully with the H30.
    I am just a little reluctant to buy CP800 for the features I don't need in that piece of gear. But I am always impressed about the # of preamps you had been able to audition and you always talk highly about the classe. There is one in audio gone for $3,700. I think I will buy it.
    The levinson 326S been asked $5K. But I don't know anyone that tried that specific model with the H30.
    The P30 certainly it is a big improvement over the P20 I think much more than the 10% I heard on some forums.
    I do appreciate your help on my decision making process.
    Kind regards and thank you.

I hope it works out well for you, but I do get a little nervous when someone buys because of my opinion. I would offer less and see what happens, that way if you don't care for the sound you can re-sell it at no loss to you.

But I will be surprised if you don't like the combination.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

I hope it works out well for you, but I do get a little nervous when someone buys because of my opinion. I would offer less and see what happens, that way if you don't care for the sound you can re-sell it at no loss to you.

I will do.
    You mentioned you compared against the P30 as,well right ?
    I only been able to try P20 and P30. With the P30 been a significant difference to the point I had never go back to my P20 but my 10 days auditioning period is expiring lol. I am waiting for response from the owner let's see.
    I'll keep you posted.
    Thanks

Mark could you take a look at the unit for sale on audiogone for me please. Let me know what could be a decent offer.
    I would like to make sure I am buying an updated unit he mentioned 2013 production.
    https://app.audiogon.com/listings/so...baton-rouge-la

I do appreciate your time and help .
    Thanks

Hegel H30
    Auditioning P30
    Own P20
    PS audio DS DAC
    Harbeth M 30.1
    VPI prime TT
    AZ double barrel speakers cables
    Nordost RD lief series XLR
    AZ absolute copper RCA
    Sony 5400es CDP
    Graham slee reflex M phono
    Denon 103 R cartridge

Taking slow steps to upgrade weak links on the chain but budget limitations is driving me cautiously.
    Thanks Mark

Mark could you take a look at the unit for sale on audiogone for me please. Let me know what could be a decent offer.
    I would like to make sure I am buying an updated unit he mentioned 2013 production.
    https://app.audiogon.com/listings/so...baton-rouge-la

I do appreciate your time and help .
    Thanks

PM sent
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

PM sent
    Thanks

The herron is a good match with H30?
    Thanks

I did not use the VTPH-2 with the H30 or P30. I ran it into vac, CJ and arc preamps and other amps. And in full disclosure, I sold the Herron since my Air Tight ATE2001 preamp has four phono inputs and my arc ref2se has 2. No longer needed the Herron. But it was bomb proof and beat other phono preamps I demoed (eg Fosgate, Plinius, VAC).

Super Moderator

Thanks for the link Jim!

Quote Originally Posted by MarinJim View Post

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thanks for the link Jim!
    My pleasure.

Quick update: currently demo'ing a couple of preamps from Paul Manos at High Fidelity Services. He has been an absolute pleasure to deal with.

The first one, Audia Flight Strumento n1, wasn't the right match for the sound I'm going after.

The second one, Zanden 3100 tube line stage, is a really serious candidate for purchase. I'm still playing around with it, but so far so good. The music is just pouring out, effortlessly... it has tremendous and natural bass, for a tube pre. The timing, rhythm, timbre... I'm quite smitten at the moment. Absolutely my favorite of the tube preamps I have tried so far. The synergy with rest of system is fantastic... the Rockports have lost a little of that hard edge I was getting before, and I'm finding myself just getting lost in the music.

Any Zanden fans out there? I actually really like the aesthetics of this piece too. A bit different, with the frosted/acrylic front plate... but I listen to much of my music in the dark, and seeing this baby glowing is very pleasing. Really smooth volume control, and sounds fantastic at both soft and really loud levels. I'm liking this one.

Super Moderator

Zanden is supposed to be fantastic. Awesome to read. I always love a tube preamp in front of the H30 amp. The synergy is off the charts great.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Actually i am surprise you brought up zanden as i though it fell off the radar in the last 5 years or so and also a lesser known japanese brand. I don't have the zanden pre, only the power amp that comes with a passive attenuator. I can't comment on the pre but the amp is a good looking and sounding too. Sometimes I pair it with modifed airtight pre (internal silver wiring, switch and some black gate caps). You can consider airtight with the h30 besides the zanden.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Quick update: currently demo'ing a couple of preamps from Paul Manos at High Fidelity Services. He has been an absolute pleasure to deal with.

The first one, Audia Flight Strumento n1, wasn't the right match for the sound I'm going after.

The second one, Zanden 3100 tube line stage, is a really serious candidate for purchase. I'm still playing around with it, but so far so good. The music is just pouring out, effortlessly... it has tremendous and natural bass, for a tube pre. The timing, rhythm, timbre... I'm quite smitten at the moment. Absolutely my favorite of the tube preamps I have tried so far. The synergy with rest of system is fantastic... the Rockports have lost a little of that hard edge I was getting before, and I'm finding myself just getting lost in the music.

Any Zanden fans out there? I actually really like the aesthetics of this piece too. A bit different, with the frosted/acrylic front plate... but I listen to much of my music in the dark, and seeing this baby glowing is very pleasing. Really smooth volume control, and sounds fantastic at both soft and really loud levels. I'm liking this one.
    Justin , timely feedback on the Zanden and a shot in the arm . Awaiting delivery of the 3000 & 9600 combo . The anticipation builds.

Zanden is supposed to be fantastic. Awesome to read. I always love a tube preamp in front of ANY amp. The synergy is off the charts great.
    fixed Joe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Hegel H30 - Preamp help!