Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Regen, Wow!

Regen, Wow!

A friend of mine has loaned me his Regen while he is out of town for 3 weeks. I had a holy $hit moment when I first played it. The improvement in sound was readily apparent. The background was blacker, the sound was slightly warmer and darker. There was more definition and clarity. I am placing an order for one today.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Re: Regen, Wow!

Sounds like your friend should help pay for it.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Super Moderator

Great, what brand and model?
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Great, what brand and model?

Huh?

USB REGEN ? UpTone Audio

There is a lot of buzz on most audio forums about this product. 98% positive.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Super Moderator

Ah, understand. Thanks, I just got mine but haven't hooked it up yet.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I been telling you guys for months! LoL

I was one of the "100". (The Greens)
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    I been telling you guys for months! LoL
    I have to admit - that's true and you were spot on.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Apparently this will have Regen-like circuitry built in:

http://www.microrendu.sonore.us/μRendu.html
    Swenson consults for Sonore too, as well as Barrows.
    Audiophile mobo in a small, killer NAA music computer.
    No price set yet.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

I was in on the second round of the REGEN orders, early in the Amber version production. It makes a stunning degree of improvement with my Bricasti M1 DAC being sourced by a laptop PC which has been optimized for use as a dedicated music server. I then ordered a 9V linear power supply from China via eBay for $62 which was recommended as an upgrade, and it made a further improvement. Overall I have found the REGEN to provide a significant improvement to my enjoyment of digital audio playback, similar in degree to what I've achieved previously by spending an additional couple grand on a new DAC. Huge bang for the buck in my setup!

Regarding the linear power supply that I referenced, here are some further details on it for those that may be interested.

Here's a link to the LPS that was recommended in a REGEN thread on Computer Audiophile by UpTone Audio. btw, I received it in less than a week from this seller, although that can vary depending upon mail service and customs clearance.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30W-DC9V-Hif...item20f244722e

Depending upon your DAC and how it uses USB power impacts whether this supply is suitable or not for your specific application. You should only use a 9 volt supply like this one if your DAC is NOT drawing the full 500mA USB maximum. This is to ensure that the REGEN 5V regulator circuit will not overheat by dissipating more power than it is rated for. I checked with Bricasti and their M1 only draws a maximum of 100mA from the USB supply so it's fine for my setup. This is explained in more detail in the REGEN FAQ section of the UpTone website.

The Regen guys also hinted online about a PSU from Rege and other small 1 amp devices for release in the fall. Cant wait for that, as I hear its KILLER!
    NORMAN

I was one of the first 100 as well, but it did nothing in my setup. Sold it pretty quickly after buying it.

Like anything else in audio, I would expect system dependencies to exist. I suppose if you are using a USB input or converter that operates near the theoretical ideal then the REGEN may prove to be of no benefit, which is also possible if your USB source is exceptional in quality. However most users, even those incorporating very high level music servers and DACs have observed significant benefits from the REGEN in their systems. The unusually high percentage of favorable reviews supports that fact. Of course there are always exceptions, as sfox7076 has noted with his experience. Each individual's experience is unique as are most of our systems.

Agreed. I cannot say it does not work. It just didn't work for me. It is all YMMV. I am using a Mac Mini converted with the Uptone converter, an LPS, Danacable USB cable, and a LampizatOr Big 7.

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    Like anything else in audio, I would expect system dependencies to exist. I suppose if you are using a USB input or converter that operates near the theoretical ideal then the REGEN may prove to be of no benefit, which is also possible if your USB source is exceptional in quality. However most users, even those incorporating very high level music servers and DACs have observed significant benefits from the REGEN in their systems. The unusually high percentage of favorable reviews supports that fact. Of course there are always exceptions, as sfox7076 has noted with his experience. Each individual's experience is unique as are most of our systems.

Interesting to hear that your experience was with the Lampizator, since many of their users have raved about the REGEN's impact. They even used it in some of their recent show systems and expounded about it's positive impact. It just shows how hard it is to predict whether or not any given gear will work well in a specific system. There's no substitute for personal experience and we have to be careful not to dismiss anyone else's opinions even when they differ from our own.

So now current backorders will incorporate the improved and updated circuit. Early adopters can get an upgrade kit for $45.

Anyone tried these with a SoTM USB card at the other end and found improvement?

There seems to be so many USB scrubbing combinations available now including iFi iUSB+iPower. If anything, the iPower 5v, 9v, and 12v warts are worth buying to replace any nasty switch-modes PSUs or even more expensive linear PSUs that you may have in your setup. iFi uses newly developed noise cancelation technology on power similar to the concept used in headphones!

Speakeasy

Quote Originally Posted by sfox7076 View Post
    I was one of the first 100 as well, but it did nothing in my setup. Sold it pretty quickly after buying it.
    Shawn, I run the Green with a Corning Optical USB cable and I suspect that is what makes the difference. Most units out there are the new Amber and they dont need the Corning and reportedly are hurt by the addition of the Corning.

I have not yet installed the amber board, as I awaited the chinese LPSU to power it...it came yesterday...and I was on and off vacation for the last 3 weeks anyway.
    NORMAN

Interesting to hear that your experience was with the Lampizator, since many of their users have raved about the REGEN's impact. They even used it in some of their recent show systems and expounded about it's positive impact. It just shows how hard it is to predict whether or not any given gear will work well in a specific system. There's no substitute for personal experience and we have to be careful not to dismiss anyone else's opinions even when they differ from our own.
    The show guys in Monaco used the Corning Optical cable with Fibre media converters and may even have diasy chained 2 Regens. The power for the Regen was the acclamied Uptone JS-2 that costs $900 and has 2 power outputs.
    NORMAN

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    So now current backorders will incorporate the improved and updated circuit. Early adopters can get an upgrade kit for $45.

Anyone tried these with a SoTM USB card at the other end and found improvement?

There seems to be so many USB scrubbing combinations available now including iFi iUSB+iPower. If anything, the iPower 5v, 9v, and 12v warts are worth buying to replace any nasty switch-modes PSUs or even more expensive linear PSUs that you may have in your setup. iFi uses newly developed noise cancelation technology on power similar to the concept used in headphones!
    I am one of the first iUSB owners out there, so can tell you that the Regen takes things much further. the Regen is not really a power scrubber, its a USB signal rebuilder at the end stage just before entering the Dac where iss is no other opportunity for the deilcate signal to be screwed up again. Ethernet and USNB are packet data and create packet noise due to the interaction with the PHY level of the USB receiver. There are other noise sources too, like in the MAC layer but so far nothing can address that. Noise is not transmitted, rather its the interaction with the USB receiver that gerenates NEW noise and the Regen is all about smoothing out that interaction so that as little new noise as possible is created. The way this is done is with a new hub chip in the Regen with an optimsed Power distibution network (very low noise) and so with a high signal integrity, the PHY level does not have to do a lot of pre-processing of the signal to get it to an acceptable level, and in so doing generate the new noise from all that heavy lifting.

Everything that improves signal; integrity helps and that is why daisy chaining seems to help, even if with diminishing returns.
    NORMAN

I get that the device is a signal (stream) rebuilder which prompts me to rephrase the question earlier.

Given the above, why should a quality USB cable, audiophile USB card and clean USB power really matter if the essential data stream is to be regenerated at the endpoint by this device?

On the other hand, if careful consideration has already been made with regards to the source USB output (power and cable) to mitigate signal pollution then any additional benefit is likely to be negligible?

Seems to me a suck it and see if there are further tangible gains to be had with a clean regeneration at the destination DAC input?

If the regen negates the desire to purchase a $500-$1000 USB cable or if it helps cleanup a signal from a longer run eg. >3m, I can fully appreciate the benefit of this device concept.

Speakeasy

Steve,

That query was posed to JS as well and the answer seems to be that even the Regen with its optimised PDN still creates its own (though orders of magnitude lower) PHY noise and the better the upstream components, the lower the Regen endemic PHY noise will be.

Furthermore, recall that I mentioned the yet untouchable MAC layer noise, (IIRC, MAC means Media Acces Control)...well then you would want great upstream components (USB cards/Cables/Hubs) to keep the MAC noise creation as low as possible, since we currently can do nothing to eliminate it.
    NORMAN

Ok, I'll look at placing an order after the next batch build.

I suppose these can be daisy chained. Would there be any benefit in doing so especially incorporating one in the source as well, eg. Inside a CAPs?

Speakeasy

Audioshark

Steve, it's a goofy little thing, but it works.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Ok, I'll look at placing an order after the next batch build.

I suppose these can be daisy chained. Would there be any benefit in doing so especially incorporating one in the source as well, eg. Inside a CAPs?
    Better to have it after the exit from the Caps USB out and then just before entering the Dac USB downstream (best if you use solid connector to the Dac and not even a short USB cable).

One last point Alex made to me. The Regen is not an advantage built into a Dac, UNLESS the Dac has separate transformer (not just separate secondary winding off same transformer) dedicated to the Regen with separate grounding, so 2 IEC power cords. This lis likely only possible with boutique Dac makers that can do fast turnaround in design or bespoke builds. A big part of why the Regen works well is the grounding facilitated by the 4 layer PCB used in the Regen.
    NORMAN

Regen, Wow!

Anyone using a regen between computer and headphone dac?

Can I ask whether the Regen is expected to have a positive impact between a DAC like the EMM DAC2X or Bricasti M1 and one of the Aurender streamers like the N10 or the X100L? Or is the device best used between computer-based music files and a DAC?

Thanks

Any USB interface.
    NORMAN

The following is a cut and paste from the most recent issue of Jim Smith's Quarter Notes newsletter#17. I got Jim's permission to post this here.

Better sound for your computer audio – without breaking the bank

A few months ago, several threads began on the forums at Computer Audiophile.com. They were discussing a new device, the Uptone Audio USB REGEN.
    I ignored the threads at first, but they continued to grow steadily. Finally, I took a look and discovered who was behind this tiny upstart audio company. Without going into those details, let me simply say that it turned out that I personally knew and respected one of the two principals, and I knew the other by his excellent reputation.
    I am not going to waste your time listing all of the reasons why this item works so well. At the end of this article, you will find a link to the Uptone Audio website and two of the CA threads about the REGEN.
    However, a few observations might be useful.
    First, this only applies to those systems that use a USB cable to their USB-asynchronous-capable DAC, typically from a computer. For example, I use a MacBook Pro Retina with SSD, stripped down for only audio, sending the music signal via a Light Harmonic Lightspeed split USB cable to my Ayre QB-9 DSD DAC.
    The REGEN is a small device that plugs into the DAC’s USB input. It gets fed the USB signal from my computer.
    The REGEN is $175.00. It makes a difference - comparable in most systems – to components costing many hundreds - if not thousands - of dollars!
    Frankly, I didn’t expect much because my digital components were very good. That’s probably why I was shocked at how greatly the REGEN improved my system.
    And I still don’t see how it could make such an easily audible difference. But it does.
    Bass is not just more tuneful and agile, it’s more powerful. As I am sure you do, I have a number of recordings that I thought I knew how strong their bass drum or organ notes were. This was not a subtle effect. In fact, I would wager it may even be measurable.
    Instruments and vocals have a greater sense of palpability. Sounds such as guitar notes have a greater harmonic density. There seems to be more presence and even more spatial cues as well. From what I can surmise, these effects may vary from system to system, depending on the computer, DAC, and USB cable.
    I bought mine directly from Uptone Audio, just like everyone else. At $175, I couldn’t bring myself to ask for an industry discount. And from what I now know that it does, I’d easily consider paying 5-10 times that price.
    Apart from Get Better Sound or maybe a RoomPlay session (OK, I am hopelessly biased), I cannot think of a better buy in audio just now. And Uptone has an affordable power supply upgrade in the works as well. I definitely plan to buy that - if it does anything like I suspect that it might, I’ll report back on it in a future Quarter Notes.
    In these times, when audio components are sold at amazingly higher and higher prices, the reasonable price for this item makes it a best buy. REGEN sales are way ahead of production. When I ordered mine, I paid and got in line. Don’t be put off by paying and waiting a bit. The combo of performance and price may keep this item back ordered.
    I hope the audiophile community will support Alex & John. My highest recommendation
    Le Roy

Austin, Tx : Soulution 520 preamp, 501 mono blocks, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D3.1, Lumin U1, Uptone Audio Modded Mac Mini w/ MMK fanless kit & JS-2 LPS, Regen, Ansuz DTC loom (complete), Oppo 105D, QNAP TS-451+

Chicagoland : Soulution 725 preamp, 711 stereo amp, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D5.1, Naim UnitiServe 2TB, Aurender W-20 Ansuz DTC later generation wire, Teac X1000 R2R, QNAP TS-451+

Foundation:
    Raidho Rack system, Ansuz DTC Mainz8, Ansuz (2) Supreme Mainz D8 Distribution, 20 amp dedicated outlets via subpanel

Ex-Hovland guys. They certainly have more goodies in the works.

I heard that another popular webzine is about to release a review.

The only industry discount possible is a jump ahead in the queue. LoL

Oh, and in case anyone gets any funny ideas, i dont work for Uptone either! ROTFLMAO
    NORMAN

Quote Originally Posted by Bobolaclune View Post
    Can I ask whether the Regen is expected to have a positive impact between a DAC like the EMM DAC2X or Bricasti M1 and one of the Aurender streamers like the N10 or the X100L? Or is the device best used between computer-based music files and a DAC?

Thanks
    Pretty much any dac without an I2S connection. John has tried to rid usb of all its inherent problems and he has gotten pretty close.

Many leading edge DSD playback does not use i2S protocol...

All USB issues are NOT addressed, as I said above MAC noise is not currently addressed and the ideas on how to do that are not practically affordable for an accessory device at the moment. Only PHY noise is addressed in the Regen. One way to deal with both would be possibly using GMRs inside the Dac…
    JS explained all this in some seminal posts at CA months ago.
    NORMAN

Many leading edge DSD playback does not use i2S protocol...

All USB issues are NOT addressed, as I said above MAC noise is not currently addressed and the ideas on how to do that are not practically affordable for an accessory device at the moment. Only PHY noise is addressed in the Regen. One way to deal with both would be possibly using GMRs inside the Dac…
    JS explained all this in some seminal posts at CA months ago.
    Hmmm.... If your comment was to me, maybe I was not clear. I meant to simply point out that if a usb dac has an I2S input the Regen will not be of value since, as I said, John has only gotten close to eliminating inherent flaws in a usb connection and those flaws do not exist in I2S from the start. AFAIK, the most one could ever hope to get even with a perfect USB soulution would be to approach the performance if I2S. The fact that many dacs don't use I2S yet is another matter altogether.

Hmmm,

Perhaps I was not clear. All classic PCM chips DO use i2s, which is only an internal protocol language for Dac chips and only for short length transmissions. The Sonore approach is a modification of the protocol to allow long range transmission.

i would imagine some FPGA implementation my NOT use that protocol and of course innovative DSD approach that eschew Dac chip may not use it as well. Stuff that use dedicated ladder resistors amd LPF, for example.

Many ways to skin a cat out there...
    NORMAN

Hmmm,

Perhaps I was not clear. All classic PCM chips DO use i2s, which is only an internal protocol language for Dac chips and only for short length transmissions. The Sonore approach is a modification of the protocol to allow long range transmission.

i would imagine some FPGA implementation my NOT use that protocol and of course innovative DSD approach that eschew Dac chip may not use it as well. Stuff that use dedicated ladder resistors amd LPF, for example.

Many ways to skin a cat out there...
    Norman, my point is simple. Of course all all PCM chips use internal I2S . That has nothing to do with the question asked or my answer. The original question and my answer related to the Regen helping all dacs. You replied "all with usb inputs". I replied unless they have an I2S INPUT which is superior to a usb input even with the Regen because John has NOT eliminated all of the inherent usb problems but has gotten close. My comment was to help the person asking the question understand that if they have an I2S input and a usb input stay with the I2S because it will be superior to the usb even with the Regen.

Further, I2S is NOT "only an internal protocol language for Dac chips and only for short length transmissions". MSB and PS Audio use I2s (and more will soon) and it would be silly to confuse the user of one of these dacs by telling them to use the usb input with the regen if they have the option to feed through the i2s.

A review of the UpTone Audio REGEN is now available from AudioStream. It includes a very detailed technical description of exactly what it does as well as subjective reviews of its performance with several different DACs.

FlexPaul,
    Regen can ONLY be used with USB. It is an optimsied USB hub, so how does i2s come into the discussion. That for me would be what confuses the issue. Similarly, i would say the same if someones said unless the Dac only had SPDIF. Neither is relevant to a USB hub discussion.

i2s is the Dac chip protocol language developed for short range communications. It has been hijacked by developers who expanded the protocol to things like LVDS, etc, because i2s does not suffer from packet noise issue like USB and Ethernet. Strict i2s protocol is only for short term internal communication.

Not so sure about absolute superiority when some USB issues are addressed, but I agree it does start at a higher performance level than stock USB. Yes, there are about 10 Dac models or so compatible with the LVDS protocol (which uses HDMI cabling in the SSR) but again, dedicated DSD architecture and FPGA implementations may need more lines that LVDS (i2s) provides for and wont be compatible, at least not without significant compromise.

Bill, I checked A-Stream for the review this morning and it was not there. I must have just missed the page update.
    NORMAN

Norman, I presume you are yanking my chain. This isn't that hard. Ask you buddy Adam to explain. He understands it well. The only reason I persist here is to make sure others get it because what you say might be misunderstood. Let me give it one more shot. My comments are below each quote.

FlexPaul,
    Regen can ONLY be used with USB. It is an optimsied USB hub, so how does i2s come into the discussion. That for me would be what confuses the issue. Similarly, i would say the same if someones said unless the Dac only had SPDIF. Neither is relevant to a USB hub discussion.
    First, I thought we were kinda talking about how to get the best sounding connection. If not I am sorry. I2S is in the discussion only because the question was asked whether the regen would help all dacs and you replied all usb dacs. My point was some usb dacs have i2s inputs and that would be superior to a usb input with the regen. It is NOT the same as referencing spidf because spdif is not asynchronous and many (including me) consider the buffering or phase lock loop required to optimize the time domain a bigger flaw than a noisy usb connection. So the theoretical order of performance of connections in my world would be I2s > usb with clean up architecture > usb > spidf. (This assumes each has been executed in a SOTA fashion.)

i2s is the Dac chip protocol language developed for short range communications. It has been hijacked by developers who expanded the protocol to things like LVDS, etc, because i2s does not suffer from packet noise issue like USB and Ethernet. Strict i2s protocol is only for short term internal communication.
    Your comments are circular but thank you for making my point. I2s was developed for short range but so what. Its applications are long term and you are simply restating the point I raised to begin with regarding to its low noise relative to packet ridden usb. So you acknowledge "i2s protocol is only for short term internal communication" except for the fact it is used for long range external communication. With that, I agree.

Not so sure about absolute superiority when some USB issues are addressed, but I agree it does start at a higher performance level than stock USB. Yes, there are about 10 Dac models or so compatible with the LVDS protocol (which uses HDMI cabling in the SSR) but again, dedicated DSD architecture and FPGA implementations may need more lines that LVDS (i2s) provides for and wont be compatible, at least not without significant compromise.
    Well if you start with two things that are identical. One gets dirty. The absolute most you could hope for is the dirty one is cleaned up back to the level of the remaining clean one. As a theoretical matter usb could be as good as i2s but even Swenson hasn't got there yet (which goes back too my original comment about John's regen accomplishment). I am quite certain Adam can get you there on this point regarding I2s and usb. A couple final comments: I2s is also Cat VI not just HDMI and the fact that your man Lucasz can't figure out how to get it wired doesn't mean its not in the market.

Another thread going to sh$%t
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobolaclune View Post

Thanks
    Not used it with an Aurender but I briefly tried an Amber Regen (with supplied power supply) with a Melco N1A into a Devialet 200 and to be honest I felt it slightly worse. It was different but not to my ears in a pleasant way. It was a little bit harsher I seem to recall. Would be interesting to try with an uprated power supply though.

[sorry to interrupt the current argument!]

F-Paul,

You have an uncanny ability to misinterpret stuff. Its a gift, really. Haha.

You do realize I talk to the Uptone people directly, dont you? You also realize that I am a Greenie . Name rank and serial number is 24. Fellow Greenies understand what I mean. LoL

The poster asked it it would help 2 specific Dacs being fed by stuff like Aurenders (as opposed to PC servers) with USB connections. I said it would/should help all USB devices (system synergies set aside). Mike also answered a bit more pointedly. That should have been sufficient.
    I think your response was confusing…at least initially, but as there was some back and forth afterwards, it should be clear for all readers now. No harm no foul in the end, as much new or restated info was shared and some should find that pretty interesting.

No need for the condescending tone at all. I understand this stuff and Adam is by far not the only pal I have in Audio,…you would be surprised…or maybe not.

i2s is neither CAT6 nor HDMI. Fact is that those are cable configs and Mike already explained to people weeks ago what is different between the protocol and the carrier config in the SSR thread. I was active on that thread and on CA, so please understand that I have more than a clue.
    Go read what the VAD Dac guy said to Jesus about the SSR which uses HDMI and not CAT6 transmission with relation to HIS version of DSD playback.

No condescension, but I think you have several pieces of the puzzle missing and you dont yet realize it. Your responses are too superficial and like many things in life the devil is in the details which you clearly dont have (at lest in totality). Read between the lines and see that what you are fishing for is old hat for me. I have been trying to get the same stuff aligned from months ago and there are clear stumbling blocks.

Carry on anyway. I will just reach for my popcorn and be entertained. People have to be allowed to learn at their own pace.
    NORMAN

mauidan

A review of the UpTone Audio REGEN is now available from AudioStream. It includes a very detailed technical description of exactly what it does as well as subjective reviews of its performance with several different DACs.
    Wish he would have done a comparison to the JitterBug.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus McDufus View Post
    Not used it with an Aurender but I briefly tried an Amber Regen (with supplied power supply) with a Melco N1A into a Devialet 200 and to be honest I felt it slightly worse. It was different but not to my ears in a pleasant way. It was a little bit harsher I seem to recall. Would be interesting to try with an uprated power supply though.

[sorry to interrupt the current argument!]

Quote Originally Posted by the professor View Post
    Another thread going to sh$%t
    Well that's one way to look at things. Sorry to cramp your style Jock. At least its somewhat related to the topic.

F-Paul,

You have an uncanny ability to misinterpret stuff. Its a gift, really. Haha.

You do realize I talk to the Uptone people directly, dont you? You also realize that I am a Greenie . Name rank and serial number is 24. Fellow Greenies understand what I mean. LoL

The poster asked it it would help 2 specific Dacs being fed by stuff like Aurenders (as opposed to PC servers) with USB connections. I said it would/should help all USB devices (system synergies set aside). Mike also answered a bit more pointedly. That should have been sufficient.
    I think your response was confusing…at least initially, but as there was some back and forth afterwards, it should be clear for all readers now. No harm no foul in the end, as much new or restated info was shared and some should find that pretty interesting.

No need for the condescending tone at all. I understand this stuff and Adam is by far not the only pal I have in Audio,…you would be surprised…or maybe not.

i2s is neither CAT6 nor HDMI. Fact is that those are cable configs and Mike already explained to people weeks ago what is different between the protocol and the carrier config in the SSR thread. I was active on that thread and on CA, so please understand that I have more than a clue.
    Go read what the VAD Dac guy said to Jesus about the SSR which uses HDMI and not CAT6 transmission with relation to HIS version of DSD playback.

No condescension, but I think you have several pieces of the puzzle missing and you dont yet realize it. Your responses are too superficial and like many things in life the devil is in the details which you clearly dont have (at lest in totality). Read between the lines and see that what you are fishing for is old hat for me. I have been trying to get the same stuff aligned from months ago and there are clear stumbling blocks.

Carry on anyway. I will just reach for my popcorn and be entertained. People have to be allowed to learn at their own pace.
    Norm, Sorry if my tone was condescending. I realize you are a greenie but that doesn't change the need to clarify some of your statements for those that care. (Speaking of condescending, pointing out that Cat 5 and HDMI vi are cable configs...ouch that hurts. ) Ok, I agree you are way, way beyond my level but why don't you go on the record regarding my theoretical order of digital connection rankings. This is completely relevant to the thread as it relates to whether the regen can get usb to the point of being the preferred digital asynchronous connection. Are you arguing that usb in any form is superior to properly implemented i2s (say MSB's approach)? I sincerely want to be enlightened.

[QUOTE=the professor;138484]Another thread going to sh$%

it looks like it's time to close another thread... INTERNET PERSONALITY DISORDER

[QUOTE=hoosiertom;138496]
    Quote Originally Posted by the professor View Post
    Another thread going to sh$%

it looks like it's time to close another thread... INTERNET PERSONALITY DISORDER
    If you guys don't stop picking on me I gonna tell on you.

Quote Originally Posted by mauidan View Post
    Wish he would have done a comparison to the JitterBug.
    Computer-->Jitterbug-->USB Cable-->DAC (or USB Converter): As I understand it, the Jitterbug filters noise coming through the USB output of the computer before it enters the USB cable. It also...

Computer-->Jitterbug--Nothing connected: ... acts as a filter on unused USB ports. Both methods are in contrast to the Regen, which...

Computer-->USB Cable-->Regen--->DAC (or USB Converter): REGENerates the USB signal coming in from the USB cable, as opposed to merely filter noise, before sending the signal to the DAC or converter.

In other words, the Jitterbug filters noise before the USB cable transmits, while the Regen regenerates the signal before it enters the DAC or converter.

There is a discussion of why these two products might be better thought of as complimenting each other, rather than competing against each other, on computeraudiophile: Audioquest Jitterbug vs Uptone Regen? - Page 2. In the thread, there is a post providing a link to S'phile's review of the Jitterbug. In the review, Lavorgna says he will report later on his findings on using these two products together.
    Anthony
    Analog: VPI Clearaudio Innovation Wood/Kuzma 4Point/Ortofon A95> ASR Basis Exclusive HV---->

Digital: Antipodes CX (Oladra Upgrade)> Cary DMS-600 DAC/Streamer---->
    ...........Cary 306 SACD Professional Disc Player---->

===> Cary SLP-05 (Ultimate Upgrade edition)----> Clayton M-300----> MARTIN LOGAN SPIRES/REL 212SX x2

[Synergistic Research/Nordost/Wireworld/Furutech/SRA/Adona/Stillpoints/Track Audio/GIK Acoustics]

I must say I found the I2S discussion interesting in this Regen thread based on a personal observation I did with a W4S DAC-2 DSDse while it has both I2S and USB inputs.

I used an Empirical Off-Ramp 5 to convert USB to I2S and found that to be much better than going straight USB to the DAC, even if this input was I2S wired on the se-version. When I added two Regens on LPSU´s in the chain the difference in SQ increased, I would say dramatically, in favour of the Off-Ramp feeding the DAC with I2S.

This has led me to contemplate modding my new Metrum Pavane NOS DAC and order their newly developed I2S board to replace the USB input and make use of the Off-Ramp again.

Super Moderator

Welcome Janke!

NAD C 658 streamer.

I don't know how it works, But the Aries> Regen> Devialaet D200 is a winner. It's the best $175 I've ever spent on this hobby. the principles are good responsive guys, too.
    Bill

Shindo Giscours
    Shindo Western Electric 300b
    Shinoo Petite Latour (FC)
    AMG Viella V12 Etna (Erodion) and Teatro (Bob's Sky @ 1:20)
    Lumin S1

Devialet 200
    Aries
    Harbeth C7

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Regen, Wow!