Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Lampizator Big 7 vs. Modwright Elyse

Has anyone has the opportunity to listen to these 2 DACs side by side? This would be PCM only since the Elyse doesn't do DSD. Every review on both DACs are excellent. Just curious if anyone has had them together in the same room.
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 XTRM, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Tosca arm; SME 3012R arm, Ortofon Diamond Anna; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Taiko Audio Extreme> Lampizator Horizon, Oppo UDP-203;

Re: Lampizator Big 7 vs. Modwright Elyse

Quote Originally Posted by dminches View Post
    Has anyone has the opportunity to listen to these 2 DACs side by side? This would be PCM only since the Elyse doesn't do DSD. Every review on both DACs are excellent. Just curious if anyone has had them together in the same room.
    I have heard the Modwright many times with one of my favorite speakers, Tune Audio Anima (horn). However, though I have never compared, what the Big 7 does in systems is, IMO. far, far greater. I was motivated to compare the Big 7 to Esoteric K01, Trinity, etc, but never to a Modwright which I could easily have

The ModWright Eylse DAC is outstanding and with tube upgrades even better, besting my old Burmester 089, Wadia S71 and McIntosh MCD500 in every way. I personally know the digital designer Alex, who also designs for Oppo and NuForce. Add ModWrights analog section and you have a sure winner. I also can't wait for the new ModWright SE tube amp.
    Venture Audio Grand Ultimate in Macassar Ebony, Thrax Dionysos pre, Thrax Tres mono's, Magnus MA-300 w/ MA-500 power supply, Stealth digital RCA, Acoustic Zen Absolute Silver pc's, Prana Wire Cosmos sp. cables, LG 65" OLED, ModWright modified Oppo 103D(transport), Reference Line Stage power conditioner, SME 20-2w/ Graham 2.2 tonearm, Ortofon Windfeld, Canary Audio MC10, PranaWire Linebacker, Luxman D-08 cd/sacd/dac.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Jim! Nice to see you here
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

While the Elise uses a big bottle 5v recti, the Big 7 uses that (indeed any 5v recti, either DH or IH) PLUS DHT output tubes and a huge selection is possible. The recti/dht combinations are mind bogglingly large.

I know the difference the DHTs make vs the small signal tubes (say a Level 4) and its simply not a fair fight...if I am allowed to extrapolate. Never heard the Elyse though.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Elyse no match for lampizator big 7 and yes I have heard it a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiophile bill View Post
    In the same system side by side?
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 XTRM, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Tosca arm; SME 3012R arm, Ortofon Diamond Anna; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Taiko Audio Extreme> Lampizator Horizon, Oppo UDP-203;

David, have you demoed the Big7 yet?

If not, try to do so and find out for yourself what the DHTs are all about......
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

The unit is sitting at my house while I am still at work. I will report back over the weekend.

Alas no.

The unit is sitting at my house while I am still at work. I will report back over the weekend.
    Dont get me wrong though - it is a great dac and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Just not as holographic and magical as a big 7.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Welcome to the forum Jim! Nice to see you here
    Thanks Joe! Glad to talk with you again.
    Venture Audio Grand Ultimate in Macassar Ebony, Thrax Dionysos pre, Thrax Tres mono's, Magnus MA-300 w/ MA-500 power supply, Stealth digital RCA, Acoustic Zen Absolute Silver pc's, Prana Wire Cosmos sp. cables, LG 65" OLED, ModWright modified Oppo 103D(transport), Reference Line Stage power conditioner, SME 20-2w/ Graham 2.2 tonearm, Ortofon Windfeld, Canary Audio MC10, PranaWire Linebacker, Luxman D-08 cd/sacd/dac.

Please explain, and what tubes were used. I am a big fan of the 6922 and the Siemens CCA's.

Quote Originally Posted by MarinJim View Post
    Please explain, and what tubes were used. I am a big fan of the 6922 and the Siemens CCA's.
    Not sure of tubes I'm afraid as they are not easily identifiable other than the big one that sticks out of the top - I'm not sure which one was used there either. Each time I have heard one, it has been at a show. I have never heard it at home. It has been partnered with the Tune Anima speakers though, which I think are really poor so perhaps I might feel differently in a different system.

Also I own a Lampi so am biased

Not sure of tubes I'm afraid as they are not easily identifiable other than the big one that sticks out of the top - I'm not sure which one was used there either. Each time I have heard one, it has been at a show. I have never heard it at home. It has been partnered with the Tune Anima speakers though, which I think are really poor so perhaps I might feel differently in a different system.

Also I own a Lampi so am biased
    I can understand. But show conditions and gear used, does not a good review make.

I can understand. But show conditions and gear used, does not a good review make.
    I concur hence my declaration of this fact.

lite 7 review

Inearspace
    NORMAN

If anyone lives in the Bay Area, I would love to compare my Elyse DAC to your Big 7 or Golden Gate. Not to see which is "better", but how they sound and integrate in different systems. My hats off to both the digital and analog designers of each company. But I have to add, I will never buy a component that has to be serviced outside the USA. If something needs to be serviced on my Concert Fidelity pre, I have to send back to Japan. When I had a Chapter Audio amp form England, it was a pain in the arse to send it back. And even for repair, US customs tried to tax me.

Jim,

Its not a problem. Lukasz has a DHL account and they do the pickup from you. Given the corp account, he gets very preferential rates that he either eats if its a warranty issue or passes on to you if its an elective upgrade. He rate is like a third of the commercial rate you would get.

In any case, only big issues go back to Poland…lesser issues get handled in the USA.
    NORMAN

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    Jim,

Its not a problem. Lukasz has a DHL account and they do the pickup from you. Given the corp account, he gets very preferential rates that he either eats if its a warranty issue or passes on to you if its an elective upgrade. He rate is like a third of the commercial rate you would get.

In any case, only big issues go back to Poland…lesser issues get handled in the USA.
    That is good to hear and thanks for the info.

If anyone lives in the Bay Area, I would love to compare my Elyse DAC to your Big 7 or Golden Gate. Not to see which is "better", but how they sound and integrate in different systems. My hats off to both the digital and analog designers of each company. But I have to add, I will never buy a component that has to be serviced outside the USA. If something needs to be serviced on my Concert Fidelity pre, I have to send back to Japan. When I had a Chapter Audio amp form England, it was a pain in the arse to send it back. And even for repair, US customs tried to tax me.
    I'd bring by my big 7 to listen for a few hours some day. I'm here in SF

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum guf!
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by guf View Post
    Guf!!

Good to see you around, man!
    Purpose Built Listening Room: Intuitive Audio Design Gamma Summit Speakers, Gallo CLS-10 subwoofers (2), LampizatOr Pacific, LampizatOr Super Komputer, Musical Concepts Haffler DH-500 (Ultra Elite package), Theorem Acoustics Wave bridge power conditioner, Cables by Theorem Acoustics, Dynamic Deisgn & cables, Verastarr. Room design by Dale Pitcher.

Family Room Rig: Vapor Audio Stiff Breeze, LampizatOr Golden Atlantic, LampizatOr Super Komputer, Musical Design D-75B (with John Hillig's PA-6 upgrades), Pi Audio Uberbuss, Dynamic Design reference cables, Danacable USB.

Industry Affiliation............North American Distributor of LampizatOr Audio.

www.lampizatorna.com

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Welcome to AS Guf!
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Great! Thanks. Please pm me so we can share a bottle of Napa's finest.

Great! Thanks. Please pm me so we can share a bottle of Napa's finest.
    Hey I can't reply because of my low post count. Message me and we can work out a time. I'm pretty flexible.

Hey I can't reply because of my low post count. Message me and we can work out a time. I'm pretty flexible.
    Ok, sounds good. I will get back to you when I get my Elyse back. I am getting some upgrades done.

Ok, sounds good. I will get back to you when I get my Elyse back. I am getting some upgrades done.

Hi can I ask what upgrades you are getting done?
    Preamp: Aesthetix Calypso Signature
    Power Amp: Aesthetix Atlas Signature
    DAC/CDP: Aesthetix Romulus Signature
    Phono: Aesthetix Rhea Signature
    TT: Kuzma Stabi Ref 2, Kuzma 4Point 11, Hana ML
    TW Acustic Raven One, Raven 10.5, Shelter 5000
    Speakers: Acapella High Violin MkIII

Quote Originally Posted by myrman View Post
    Hi can I ask what upgrades you are getting done?
    The first thing I did was to upgrade the diods by Alex-the digital designer of the Elyse. I just got my Elyse back from ModWright yesterday, and I have to pick up my modded Magnus Audio MA-300 with the new Magnus MA-500 cap board. I am a little embarrassed that I did not ask Dan what mods he did, but he assured me it makes a audible difference for the better. I also did some tube rolling with CCA's and Philips rectifier.

Jim- As a CF owner have you heard the CF battery powered DAC against the Modwright- I have the CF DAC but was thinking of trying the Modwright DAC as well as their phono stage- Curious as to your thoughts between the Concert Fidelity and the Modwright?- thanks gary
    Mcintosh C1000 pre
    Mcintosh 601 amps
    Mcintosh MDA 1000 DAC
    MCintosh MT-10 Turntable
    MCT 450 Transport
    Dunlavy V- Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by bebop86 View Post
    Jim- As a CF owner have you heard the CF battery powered DAC against the Modwright- I have the CF DAC but was thinking of trying the Modwright DAC as well as their phono stage- Curious as to your thoughts between the Concert Fidelity and the Modwright?- thanks gary
    Gary, I have not heard the CF DAC, but really you could possibly buy the Elyse DAC (one for sale on Agon) and compare them. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong with either. The Elyse really responds to tube rolling. I had the diodes upgraded and just got it back from an who did some upgrades to lower the noise floor-it worked! I am using Siemens CCA's and Philps rectifier to great results. Purist Audio PC and Prana Wire IC's.

Hi MJ = I'm about 30 minutes north of you and could accommodate. It would be fun. Call me at 707-568-1691. Best, Michael

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Michael. thank you for joining.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thanks, Joe! I have been reading all the posts from the "usual suspects" regarding Lampizator DAC's the past few weeks and it helped me to make my decision to acquire one. I have spent a sizable chunk of the past 24 hours listening to my newly arrived, slightly used Golden Gate (RCA's only with volume control). I have been using an EMM Labs DAC 2X in my system which has performed admirably. Having a "High Noon" audio shootout of sorts between these two DAC's. First impressions of the GG have been all favorable. Very natural (in the best sense of the word) sounding, great tonality, texture, dynamics, staging. As I play drums, I have a particular sensitivity to drum "sounds" and the GG delivers both attack and resonance with accuracy and beauty. At this point I'm running PCM only using a 12 year old Rega Planet until my Laufer Tekniks MP64 makes it home from Upgradeville. Also in the audio chain is a Rogue Audio Hera II, Simaudio Moon Titan, and Devore O/96's. As funds allow I'm looking to add a SET amp for 2 channel listening as the high sensitivity Devore's thrive with that pairing. Love to hear any thoughts, ideas, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndLiner View Post
    Thanks, Joe! I have been reading all the posts from the "usual suspects" regarding Lampizator DAC's the past few weeks and it helped me to make my decision to acquire one. I have spent a sizable chunk of the past 24 hours listening to my newly arrived, slightly used Golden Gate (RCA's only with volume control). I have been using an EMM Labs DAC 2X in my system which has performed admirably. Having a "High Noon" audio shootout of sorts between these two DAC's. First impressions of the GG have been all favorable. Very natural (in the best sense of the word) sounding, great tonality, texture, dynamics, staging. As I play drums, I have a particular sensitivity to drum "sounds" and the GG delivers both attack and resonance with accuracy and beauty. At this point I'm running PCM only using a 12 year old Rega Planet until my Laufer Tekniks MP64 makes it home from Upgradeville. Also in the audio chain is a Rogue Audio Hera II, Simaudio Moon Titan, and Devore O/96's. As funds allow I'm looking to add a SET amp for 2 channel listening as the high sensitivity Devore's thrive with that pairing. Love to hear any thoughts, ideas, etc...
    try to play some DSD and see what you think.

On Monday in Poland, I heard the Lampi Server upsample PCM to DSD256 in AO core mode, feeding the proceeds to Bughead Emperor to play back and was floored! Akin to R2R...truly ridiculous. I cant imagine digital getting any better than that.
    NORMAN

Audioshark

As funds allow I'm looking to add a SET amp for 2 channel listening as the high sensitivity Devore's thrive with that pairing. Love to hear any thoughts, ideas, etc...
    I like this idea! Lampizator Big 7 vs. Modwright Elyse

What's your budget?
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Hi Mike = I'm considering the Line Magnetic 219ia or something from Shindo like the Cortese or the Lafon GM-70. Though Devore shows with LM and had nice things to say about them he feels the Shindo amps bring more magic. I heard the LM 518ia with Devore O/93's and it was quite nice. Is it possible to speak with any of you gents telephonically?

Hi Mike = I'm considering the Line Magnetic 219ia or something from Shindo like the Cortese or the Lafon GM-70. Though Devore shows with LM and had nice things to say about them he feels the Shindo amps bring more magic. I heard the LM 518ia with Devore O/93's and it was quite nice. Is it possible to speak with any of you gents telephonically?
    I would also consider the Lampi 211 tube monoblocks, as they were designed and voiced together with the GG dac. I have had this set-up for the past week and can confidently say it is the best combination I have ever heard. Putting together a system is all about synergy. Joe and a few others have all commented just how special this combo is. This is a proven pairing.

Audioshark

Lampi DAC with Lampi 211's is a no brainer. Magical sounds x 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Hi MJ = I'm about 30 minutes north of you and could accommodate. It would be fun. Call me at 707-568-1691. Best, Michael
    Mike (2ndLiner), will do and thanks. My Ma-300 new upgraded power supply and new Venture upgraded woofers are set to go.

I just noticed a pristine Lampi GG DAC for sale on A-Gon for decent price.

Mike (2ndLiner), will do and thanks. My Ma-300 new upgraded power supply and new Venture upgraded woofers are set to go.

I just noticed a pristine Lampi GG DAC for sale on A-Gon for decent price.

You mean the Bal GG for $12K, yes great price and new unit!
    NORMAN

Sorry to bring old thread back to life. I am selling my mint condition ModWright DAC. I just purchased a pair of Doshi Jhor 180 mono blocks so with my already tube CF preamp, I have decided on a ss DAC, the Luxman DA-80. I did consider a Lampi DAC for sure, but I gotta great deal on the Luxman, but more importantly, it sounds awesome in my system. I will still look at a Lamp in the future. I have had countless beautiful listening sessions with my Elyse DAC, but with the Luxman, I get an awesome transport also.

Jim,

I just read your Agon ad and I wonder if you would send me pics. You could pm me the pics perhaps or I can supply you my cell # in PM(?).

I’m on vacation in Colorado until the 18th. Then, I will return to my home in Oregon.

Regards,

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mresseguie View Post
    Jim,

I just read your Agon ad and I wonder if you would send me pics. You could pm me the pics perhaps or I can supply you my cell # in PM(?).

I’m on vacation in Colorado until the 18th. Then, I will return to my home in Oregon.

Regards,

Michael
    Please check pm.

Thanks, Jim.

As I’m on vacation, don’t hold your breath waiting for me to do something. Just saying. 😁

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Lampizator Big 7 vs. Modwright Elyse