Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

PrimaLuna Dialogue HP, Line Magnetic 219ia, Ayon Audio Epsilon.

Here comes a comparison between the three, not all in the system at the same time but sold on from one to replace the other. A remembering from experience & notes that I have kept over time & as 2 are integrated & one(Ayon), are monos, perhaps not so fair. But? The system is exactly the same, the Soulution 520 preamp was used with all amps in bypass/HT mode or direct as is the case with the Ayons. Same cabling,isolation,stands etc

Re: PrimaLuna Dialogue HP, Line Magnetic 219ia, Ayon Audio Epsilon.

OK Kev, hit us with the comparison.....
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

The PrimaLuna Dialogue HP.

When I received this integrated I was really happy with the quality of the unit, it was solid with a finish that a lot in the industry could learn from. This is & could be considered an audiophiles entry level integrated that just belts home runs out of the ball park. Bestowed with
    6 - 12AU7 & the
    KT88 tubes,which by the way is a tube that i don't personally find appealing, I was actually very impressed with this little effort from PrimaLuna that was supposed to be a stop-gap for when my 4 month wait for the Line Magnetic 219ia was realised.
    My first inclination of just how good this was to be was straight out of the box, the significant other wanted to hear it. Then she went too far & asked how to use the system if I wasn't there......mmmm, selective hearing & topic of conversation kicks in like an upper-cut from Tyson! In all seriousness to giving praise where things are due, I still wasn't so sure about the KT88's, just too much of everything & not enough of something, in other words, lots of vanilla!
    Enter the NOS Mullards & the KT150's. Bugger... The significant other now demands to know what that thing on the top does. Remembering my vowels at the last wedding I was at, tend to remember the significant other was there too, more wine & manuals to explain, she hasn't the time for such silliness.
    Ha! Well the Mullards & the Kt 150's took this integrated to another level that at first I wasn't quite comfortable with. Although with the input of the KT 150's & the absolutely instant bass & punch of energy that they bring I was a touch dishevelled from the Mullards. Everyone knows just how much easy energy the 150's have, it's all been a-rave the last trimester hasn't it, "Gov", no need to go there! With the combination this little integrated in bypass with the Soulution 520, it became an absolute beast of a revelation as the tubes started to get some time on them & things started to really gel/burn-in speak for some. There are some things in my life that I will always be thankful for, for being graced with time in their company, usually, it's people for me! I can honestly say that I would unequivocally go back to visit this system for an unextended amount of time as I enjoyed it immensely. The Mullards brought with them true & honest timing, they also didn't sugar coat bad things as we all hear from time to time, not going there! The tone I thought was exceptional with "just maybe", a tad of upper glare in the very high treble but maybe that was the limitation of the price envelope of integrated I am referring to?
    I enjoyed my time with the PrimaLuna, with a tad of rolling it also taught me some. Something that I thought that I already knew. This is what I absolutely love about this hobby, just when you think you have got a decent angle on things & a great knowledge base, something comes along to knock you out of the ball-park!

[URL=http://s1096.photobucket.com/user/_bzr_/media/PrimaLunaDialogueHP5_zps49a99b3e.jpg.html][/URL[URL=http://s1096.photobucket.com/user/_bzr_/media/PrimaLunaDialogueHP3_zps770fbb4d.jpg.html][/URL

Hey kiwi, what new adventures have you added to your system of late?

Audioshark

Kev - the PrimaLuna stuff is good.....and doesn't break the bank either. I heard it with KT150's at RMAF and really liked it. Will be interesting to see how it stacks up against the LM and Ayon. I will be very curious to learn which is quieter.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

I've alway wanted one for my PSB Synchrony One's, for my second system.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Kev - the PrimaLuna stuff is good.....and doesn't break the bank either. I heard it with KT150's at RMAF and really liked it. Will be interesting to see how it stacks up against the LM and Ayon. I will be very curious to learn which is quieter.
    Mike this little integrated really surprised the hell out of me for the money. I would rather own one of these with the Soulution in front of it in bypass mode than the Vitus RS-100 amp & Soulution.

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    I've alway wanted one for my PSB Synchrony One's, for my second system.
    Mark, just get one, you'll love it. Also if you want to get a tad more detail find some good nos input tubes & there is always the KT150's for the feel of ss delivery in the bottom end.

Quote Originally Posted by bzr View Post
    Mike this little integrated really surprised the hell out of me for the money. I would rather own one of these with the Soulution in front of it in bypass mode than the Vitus RS-100 amp & Soulution.

Mark, just get one, you'll love it. Also if you want to get a tad more detail find some good nos input tubes & there is always the KT150's for the feel of ss delivery in the bottom end.
    Kev, I was thinking KT150's would rock out pretty good. I just love that it's so user friendly too!
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Super Moderator

I really love the KT-150's in my Jolida. I can only imagine how great the Primaluna sounds with them.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Was it a straight swap .?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    Was it a straight swap .?
    In the Jolida? Yes, with a bias adjustment.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Kev I'm waiting for the LM219ia review. When are we gonna get...

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by dlb2 View Post
    Kev I'm waiting for the LM219ia review. When are we gonna get... [the next installment]
    Yeah, come on Kev, the grandstand is full.
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

Doug thats a cracker post. ..toüche!

The Line Magnetic 219ia. Well, that was a wait as I sold the PrimaLuna, so the importer lent me a class ab Chord amp for the final countdown & friggin jaysus I hated that thing. Going from class a amps to class ab or class d is a very highly recommended thing by me "not' to do. Even going from the LM 219 to a class ab Vitus sucked! Sucked so much I sold the Vitus within 3 months & now have Ayon Epsilon monos stealing my heart.Thats later.
    The Line Magnetic 219ia, is an integrated that once I figured out that a mismatch was taking place with the cables, really hit it's straps with the Soulution up front again.
    That midrange of the 300B's & the 845's, oh my, that is special I think I would have done cartwheels after putting up with the Chord amp & then experiencing what the LM turned into. Experiencing this much joy from my system & at the price of this integrated really made me sit back & evaluate just how much money I had thrown at this hobby. Putting the 520 preamp up front with the right cables was another step up in quality & once again made me realise just how good the preamp is.
    The 219 after a while started to settle in & at around 200+ hours I dropped in a set of Psvane WE replica 845 & 300B's. At first the difference was not that much of an improvement as the tubes in the amp are pretty good, but, once the new glass hit it's straps, it was obvious. Later as an experiment I swapped the original tubes back in for a couple of days & really enjoyed putting Psvanes back in after this time.
    Power wise the LM couldn't foot it with the PrimaLuna wasn't even in the same post code, then again, I didn't think it would. Pushing the volume over a third to half & the needles were telling me that there was some slight clipping going on with my 89db speakers so I never went much more than a 1/4-1/3 on the dial which was loud enough for me.
    Tone wise & timbre of instruments was lovely with a touch of tube romance but never over the top, just a glorious mid range that is to die for. Percussion & vocals come to mind as I think back with tight bass, but in saying that, with the 2 Torus that area is well covered as they each have their own amps. What this LM gear does with vocals is really special, it's an up front type of experience as against the PL which was more mid hall in a way, the PL having a more refined soundstage as to where the band members were situated as well as better layering, but when the recording was done well with mastering worth mentioning, that real vocal sound was extremely intoxicating & just downright musical!!
    I run all my movies through my 2 channel system & the LM actually surprised me here as it was better than I thought it would be but definitely needs woofer help for the fanatic. Then the ph rang....
    Well, I got offered a great condition Vitus RS-100 amp at a price that I thought was good so sold the LM & tried to like the Vitus.

Super Moderator

So what's the amp of choice at the moment Kev?

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe, what I have at the mo, straight out of the box is dead quietly special!

Super Moderator

These?

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

Holy cr@p!

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thats one way to get over selling the Line Magnetic 219ia
    Stump

Awesome stuff Kev!

Thanks for the write-up Kev. Enjoy those Ayons.
    Doug

Audioshark

KT150's? Yummy! Here comes some big sound!
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

These Ayon Epsilons are big, long & heavy. Do I like them, "yes", unequivocally! They have put that feeling back into me wanting to turn the stereo on as soon as I walk through the front door. Subtle nuances, timing, tone etc is quite incredible & is way better than I thought with only 20 hours on them. Instruments are very real, piano is spooky on some recordings as to the realistic pitch & tone. Separation to die for in complicated passages of music, in saying that the preamp & cabling must be up to scratch to achieve this though. Female voices in the jazz sector are something to swoon over, so much information & inflection. All this is in Pentode mode, I haven't flicked the switches for Triode yet
    These mono amps are dead quiet, the PrimaLuna had a very small hum with your ear up against the speaker & the Line Magnetic had a small discernible hum from 1-2 metres from the speaker but with bias setting etc it wasn't a concern at all.
    Each Ayon mono amp has an earth switch & if the there is hum you can also float the cables to a 2 prong plug as specified in the instruction manual. Fit & finish is what one would expect at this price level & it is very good. The amps themselves make a statement just sitting there with no power running through them. As I write this I am sitting to the side in front of the left speaker about 2 metres away & I can still hear depth of musicians & layering, very pleased & tickled to chuffed status. 200hrs on these is an exciting thought.
    Every now & then we get to hear something that just makes one realise why we chase the dragons tail the way we do, & as of today I can say I have now owned 4 systems where indeed the feel of the scales is fresh. It makes life a lot easier & the joy is abundant to be able to flick a switch or two & revel in a sound so right & lovely that just makes you happy. Call it musical/warm/golden/lush etc. To have a system that is chameleon in nature but true to the nature of the recording is indeed something worth owning, all of a sudden, I'm losing sleep again.

Kev...congrats on the Ayon Epsilon monos
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Thanks Cyril, I was a touch hesitant in my expectations for these as I have heard a mixed bag from some about the usual downfalls of all electrical component companies but am relieved & thrilled to have these & to find they exceed what I expected. I have always wanted Ayon amps & now that I have I am impressed.

Amplifier Ayon Epsilon
    Class of Operation Triode* or Pentode mode, Class-A*
    Tube Complement KT150
    Load Impedance 8 Ohms
    Bandwidth 8Hz - 70kHz
    Output Power / Pentode mode 1 x 180W
    Output Power / Triode mode 1 x 100W
    Frequency Response 10 Hz - 60 kHz
    Input Impedance at 1 kHz 47 KΩ
    Input sensitivity ( full power ) 900mV
    S/N ratio at full power 98 dB
    NFB 0dB
    Inputs RCA & XLR
    Dimensions (WxDxH) cm 35x55x25 cm
    Weight 40 kg

Congrats Kev! Those Ayon amps are simply stunning
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

I forgot to add... The Epsilons are "loosening" up nicely. They are now at the stage of normal redbook sounds almost good, hi-res is exceptional, vinyl, well, I'm still waiting for the sober moment..... so's it's all even understand....!

Quick update, am so happy with the Epsilon monos to the point of now realising that my cables need to be better Soooo happy with my vinyl thang too....

Quote Originally Posted by bzr View Post
    Quick update, am so happy with the Epsilon monos to the point of now realising that my cables need to be better Soooo happy with my vinyl thang too....

Congrats
    Kev! I know how it feels, being in a good place.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

PrimaLuna Dialogue HP, Line Magnetic 219ia, Ayon Audio Epsilon.